Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The ingame channel? It's only text AFAIK, unless there's some ingame voice chat I turned off way back when and forgot abaout.

I tried logging into the mumble server in the OP a couple times but nobody was ever in the DCUO channel/room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I log into it every time I play, including now, actually, but yeah, I've never actually seen anyone in it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'll be on in a little bit leveling my Red Lantern on USPC Villains. Name is Comrade Lantern.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Just had some fun leveling with Warlocke Hero-side, I'll hop back on in a little bit as one of my villains.

VVV Despite me having no god drat clue how to play a fire tank that I'd not touched in a year.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 31, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ArchRanger posted:

Just had some fun leveling with Warlocke Hero-side, I'll hop back on in a little bit as one of my villains.

We started at 16 and 18 and did the Poison Ivy greenhouse and Sinestro city hall instances together. Totally shredded them and ended at 19 and 21 IIRC. :black101:

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002
I haven't play this on PC since the Green Lantern expansion came out. Did the big patch they released just before the PS4 came out make a big difference, or is it pretty much the same thing?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

WarLocke posted:

The ingame channel? It's only text AFAIK, unless there's some ingame voice chat I turned off way back when and forgot abaout.

It does text AND voice, the big issue is that custom channels don't ever tell you when someone logs in. If you're not constantly spamming "/1 (whatever)" there's no way to tell.

Grimby posted:

I haven't play this on PC since the Green Lantern expansion came out. Did the big patch they released just before the PS4 came out make a big difference, or is it pretty much the same thing?

Yeah, the overhaul really changed the game. Just the short-list: levelling's faster, you get Marks of Triumph earlier so you can basically blow past T1/maybe T2 if you're saving and doing sidequests, bounties are A Threat again instead of dudes just soloing them for the drops, and they overhaul things on each patch that really just make for better ease of use for everyone at this point.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm not digging Rage as a powerset... feels really weak and crappy, and I feel squishy as hell for a tank, though that could be because I've been spoiled by playing an Ice tank to 30.

Really had hoped they would have gone for the GL combo route with the Rage powers instead of a really lame and halfassed hybrid of the Celestial setup with the whole dumb Rage Crash thing. It just doesn't feel very Lantern-y at all.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

I'm not digging Rage as a powerset... feels really weak and crappy, and I feel squishy as hell for a tank, though that could be because I've been spoiled by playing an Ice tank to 30.

Really had hoped they would have gone for the GL combo route with the Rage powers instead of a really lame and halfassed hybrid of the Celestial setup with the whole dumb Rage Crash thing. It just doesn't feel very Lantern-y at all.

The infinite combo stuff is Light's gimmick though, it would be kind of redundant for Rage to have the same mechanic.

I haven't gotten to end-game stuff yet so I can't really judge the 'tankability' of Rage but it seems to really be planned around you being in 'rage mode' as often as possible (since you're basically unkillable outside of massive damage spikes during it) and timing your other powers to negate the crash at the end.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I think the trick with rage tanking is that as long as you can cancel rage crash reliably, you are basically completely invulnerable as long as you're juiced up, and furthermore basically require no healing, so the healers will be healing the rest of your group. This is a massive advantage over other tanks, who are not completely invulnerable and require healing.

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
11 out of 12 physicians agree I have a large penis.

MJ12 posted:

I think the trick with rage tanking is that as long as you can cancel rage crash reliably, you are basically completely invulnerable as long as you're juiced up, and furthermore basically require no healing, so the healers will be healing the rest of your group. This is a massive advantage over other tanks, who are not completely invulnerable and require healing.

This is true. Light and Rage make a REALLY good combo.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Syrg Sapphire posted:

It does text AND voice, the big issue is that custom channels don't ever tell you when someone logs in. If you're not constantly spamming "/1 (whatever)" there's no way to tell.

Yeah, the overhaul really changed the game. Just the short-list: levelling's faster, you get Marks of Triumph earlier so you can basically blow past T1/maybe T2 if you're saving and doing sidequests, bounties are A Threat again instead of dudes just soloing them for the drops, and they overhaul things on each patch that really just make for better ease of use for everyone at this point.

Thanks. I'll have to re-install and check it out. It sounds like they may have fixed up a bunch of the things that bothered me, especially with the marks.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
How important is it to grind out the Feats for SP? Because that sounds like a lot of drat grinding.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Grimby posted:

Thanks. I'll have to re-install and check it out. It sounds like they may have fixed up a bunch of the things that bothered me, especially with the marks.

My babby Rage tank is 21 and has ~38 Marks of Triumph simply from doing side missions (you get 1 MoT for each side mission now, they don't seem to reset every day but you do have the option of using 4 replay tokens to redo them). At this rate I should be able to buy 3-4 pieces of t1 gear as soon as I hit 30 I think.

jerichojx posted:

How important is it to grind out the Feats for SP? Because that sounds like a lot of drat grinding.

It's pretty much what the 'endgame' is, getting feats for SP and bettering your gear. Those are the only real ways to make your character 'stronger' after hitting level 30.

That said, they just recently introduced a way to 'buy' feats with replay tokens as long as at least one of your characters earned that feat the hard way.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 1, 2014

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

WarLocke posted:

My babby Rage tank is 21 and has ~38 Marks of Triumph simply from doing side missions (you get 1 MoT for each side mission now, they don't seem to reset every day but you do have the option of using 4 replay tokens to redo them). At this rate I should be able to buy 3-4 pieces of t1 gear as soon as I hit 30 I think.

It's pretty much what the 'endgame' is, getting feats for SP and bettering your gear. Those are the only real ways to make your character 'stronger' after hitting level 30.

That said, they just recently introduced a way to 'buy' feats with replay tokens as long as at least one of your characters earned that feat the hard way.

Yeah, I think those reset every week. And it took me all of 2 days to go from 30-T2 on my Celestial hero. I'm CR 66 now, so almost at T3 too.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

jerichojx posted:

It's really only a thing if you are playing with super-dedicated BEST PLAYERZ ONLY types, I think I've only ever been asked what my SP count was once. Usually it'll just be a check for your role's key stat or a flat "are you CR ##". That said, basically anyone will benefit from more just so you can buy other weapons (for more ability to take advantage of drops) and the Critical (Whatever Your Role Uses) percent bonuses. Beyond that you're just getting into "these do so very little anymore" territory.

That said: on a lot of feats, just come back to them later, they're a hell of a lot easier if you don't go for them the instant you can. Styles are kind of time-consuming just because beyond a couple of them, you can't buy the pieces and it becomes drop roulette.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

mastajake posted:

Yeah, I think those reset every week. And it took me all of 2 days to go from 30-T2 on my Celestial hero. I'm CR 66 now, so almost at T3 too.

How did you do it that quickly? Just every mission you could find or doing solo/duo crap over and over?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

whatspeakyou posted:

How did you do it that quickly? Just every mission you could find or doing solo/duo crap over and over?

My Rage villain is level 8 and doing the HIVE mission and hasn't done any non-Luthor missions and he can already afford one piece of T1 gear. It's not hard.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Fuzz posted:

My Rage villain is level 8 and doing the HIVE mission and hasn't done any non-Luthor missions and he can already afford one piece of T1 gear. It's not hard.

This didn't really answer my question. I didn't ask if it was hard. I was asking for the best way to do it seeing as how I've been playing for 3 days after not playing for roughly 2 years. This equates to me knowing approximately nothing about post-30 things.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

whatspeakyou posted:

Basically you run all the side-missions, hit the vault every chance you can (it'll spit a mark or two at you here and there), if you can open lockboxes those are bonus marks (plus they increase rewards by your gear tier), and run EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE/RAID. Someone in the league was doing this and hit T4 in about... 4 days? I think it took her? I just know it turned into a lot of "We need a healer to do every single thing in (tier)" each night.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Basically you run all the side-missions, hit the vault every chance you can (it'll spit a mark or two at you here and there), if you can open lockboxes those are bonus marks (plus they increase rewards by your gear tier), and run EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE/RAID. Someone in the league was doing this and hit T4 in about... 4 days? I think it took her? I just know it turned into a lot of "We need a healer to do every single thing in (tier)" each night.

That's what I figured. I think it's just taking me slower than normal because if I sit there for long periods of time repeating the same poo poo over and over I know I'll get burned out before I get to 84+.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah I've absolutely never been that dude, I don't recommend it. Just the thought of chaining Kahndaqs or whatever makes my rear end clench.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I've seen videos of something called Gates Walk-Ins the generate a fuckton of MoTs. What is that?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Short version: a "walk-in" is when people premake a raid and then use one of the Watchtower/Hall of Doom teleporters to enter it with people below the CR lock. (At least one person has to be able to enter it normally, but then everyone else can piggyback in.) It's a mixed bag because everyone gets the marks at each checkpoint, but the below-CR people get no loot drops whatsoever, only marks, and none of the people AT-level get the monthly bonus at the end while getting locked for the week on each boss.

Gates is a T4 raid that's kiiiinda easy to do this with because a lot of it comes down to "are your healers and tank good at their jobs" and it's not straight combat for the most part.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Synthetic mods are great. Salvaging hardly gets you anything back anyway, and they are reasonably priced for how long they typically get used.

Also Syrg, I joined All Stars with the name Bubblegum Beater (my celestial) in case anyone asks you. Had a nice run of Stryker's with a couple of them.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is Dominance still a trash stat for Controllers? Everything still about Vitalization for power out and Precision for weapon DPS?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Is Dominance still a trash stat for Controllers? Everything still about Vitalization for power out and Precision for weapon DPS?

Dominance is amazing with a Quantum Controller... your lifts and stuns last for loving EVER with high Dom.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

WarLocke posted:

If you're going to go into endgame, you want high Dom now, otherwise your powers are just not going to work on enemies. They linked Dom to "every so many points = 1 extra second of effect on an enemy" (I have no Controllers, I forget the exact formula, I'm sorry) and if your Dom isn't high enough at each tier they will straight up shrug off your debuffs/effects.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

So this game is much more fun than I thought it would be. I'm in as Feminist Process, a Sorcery Villain. The damage side is pretty good, and the staff is pretty baller. Haven't tried out any healing stuff, or really done any group type things. Are the 4-mans worth doing at all? Or can I just come back later and solo them once I'm at the cap?

Might try out a Hero this afternoon. Unsure what to make it though. Cross that bridge when I get there I guess.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Syrg Sapphire posted:

If you're going to go into endgame, you want high Dom now, otherwise your powers are just not going to work on enemies. They linked Dom to "every so many points = 1 extra second of effect on an enemy" (I have no Controllers, I forget the exact formula, I'm sorry) and if your Dom isn't high enough at each tier they will straight up shrug off your debuffs/effects.

OK, that's much better. I remember at one point it was something like every 2 Dom let you do 1 more point of damage to enemies before your own damage broke them out of CC effects, which was complete bullshit.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

rizzen posted:

So this game is much more fun than I thought it would be. I'm in as Feminist Process, a Sorcery Villain. The damage side is pretty good, and the staff is pretty baller. Haven't tried out any healing stuff, or really done any group type things. Are the 4-mans worth doing at all? Or can I just come back later and solo them once I'm at the cap?

Might try out a Hero this afternoon. Unsure what to make it though. Cross that bridge when I get there I guess.

The four-mans are as fun as anything else. I like 'em, and unless you end up with a really crap team of pubbies they're pretty easy, especially if you aren't dead-set on playing DPS, as most pubbies seem allergic to doing anything else.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Unrelated, but I just watched the Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox movie, and holy hell did the ending remind me of the opening cinematic for this game... pretty drat awesome all around.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I just realized that the free armory you get from the base tutorial missions is pretty much completely useless unless you shell out for a second one.

Well played, Sony, well played.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Made it to CR70 tonight and am really excited to try out the new (For me. My second highest character was CR64.) content. I was disappointed there were no solos/duos on the on duty tab, but the Ace Chemicals/Stryker's stuff seems cool, especially since it will only take 5 days to get a full set of armor.

What are some fun raids/alerts to try (I'll do them all but can prioritize), and are there any obscure but really important details about any I should know about in order to not make an rear end out of myself (e.g. don't attack medics while their shields are up in Fortress of Solitude 3)?

WarLocke posted:

I just realized that the free armory you get from the base tutorial missions is pretty much completely useless unless you shell out for a second one.

Haha yeah I thought the same thing. But if you do buy it, it is really awesome.

Professor Lazy
Jun 25, 2011

mastajake posted:

Made it to CR70 tonight and am really excited to try out the new (For me. My second highest character was CR64.) content. I was disappointed there were no solos/duos on the on duty tab, but the Ace Chemicals/Stryker's stuff seems cool, especially since it will only take 5 days to get a full set of armor.

If you're talking about the missions that give you a reward every 5 dailies, they make you choose one piece of armor from the list every 5 days, it's not the full set. So it should be 40 days for the 8 pieces or 20 days if you count both missions.

The 4 man operation is fun and easy. I've only played the hero version, so I don't know how different it is from the villains. If you play hero though, the only thing you need to keep in mind is to be careful in melee range of the second boss, it can kill you pretty quickly with its scream if you don't block or don't have a healer.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Are the majority of goons playing this on Hero of Villain side? I've got 30s on Heroes, but I'm more than willing to roll up a Villain to play with yall. Got tired of playing solo and I don't want to join a pubbie league.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I can never get into playing villains for long myself, so I can't speak for anyone else but give Baryon Boy a shout on USPC, that's me.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I have no clue when you guys are playing. I play a lot and post in the goonsquad channel but no one ever answers. I repoened the DCU Online mumble and am in there and in the game too right now. Playing as Bubblegum Beater on USPC Hero-side.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

It's probably semi-useful for Batman-like roleplayers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mastajake posted:

I play a lot and post in the goonsquad channel but no one ever answers.

The OP said people used the Goonlimited chat channel instead of Goonsquad now so I left 'squad and am usually in 'limited. :ohdear:

• Locked thread