Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/917950687257997312

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sedative posted:

Bill Clement is on the Flyers postgame show saying the ref shouldn't have called the tripping penalty on MacDonald because he should've known AMac wasn't trying to trip him. The ref should've realized that in that time and place (a delayed call later in a close game) there was no way he'd trip him on purpose. I'm losing my mind here.

Didn't you get the memo? Penalties are called based off of the players intentions?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Updated list. Go:
Hawks, Sharks, Preds, Cats, Knights, Avs, Caps, Jackets, Oilers, Leafs, Sabres, Habs.

easy there pungry

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

sedative posted:

Bill Clement is on the Flyers postgame show saying the ref shouldn't have called the tripping penalty on MacDonald because he should've known AMac wasn't trying to trip him. The ref should've realized that in that time and place (a delayed call later in a close game) there was no way he'd trip him on purpose. I'm losing my mind here.

I didn't see it but apparently Barkann was apoplectic at Hakstol to start the show

EDIT: He may have dropped an F bomb

EDIT 2: https://twitter.com/FanSince09/status/721540049465049089

Shawn Cotureier fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 11, 2017

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

N: Ryan White is in Boston for a PTO, for some reason

V: Every time I start to think Sweeney might have turned the corner, poo poo like this happens

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

fits posted:

james neal is gonna win the richard

And Fleury is going to have to start 76 games but they're gonna make the playoffs.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Kilza posted:

For anybody who missed it, the Flyers got scored on a 5-on-3 by the Preds in the final 2 minutes of the game to tie the game. Hakstol used a Coach's Challenge for offside, got it wrong, giving the Preds another 5-on-3 and they proceeded to score the GWG off of it. Not the smartest of moves.

I was at this game and it was a drat emotional roller coaster.

Also the gtg was actually 6 v 3 with the net empty.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lost Season posted:

N: Ryan White is in Boston for a PTO, for some reason

V: Every time I start to think Sweeney might have turned the corner, poo poo like this happens

The safest place for Ryan White is on your team. He can't injure anyone there. Mostly.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The Vegas Golden Knights are the first ever NHL team to begin their inaugural season at 3-0.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Kilza posted:

The Vegas Golden Knights are the first ever NHL team to begin their inaugural season at 3-0.

Neal has every GWG.

Edit: who expected the 3 teams that would be undefeated after 3 games to be Toronto, Vegas, and St Louis?

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 11, 2017

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Kilza posted:

Vegas baby :woop:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Five thoughts:

1) Despite the other defenders looking like a dumpster fire much of the time, Shattenkirk has been on the ice for most of the goals against the Rangers. I'm not sure he belongs on a top defensive pair, but I'm apprehensive - to say the least - that Marc Staal can keep up his play and earn that spot.

2) Kampfer and Holden managed to make a lot of mistakes, but not pay the price. Hopefully both are out of the lineup next game, because the shutout against the Habs wasn't a credit to the Rangers defense.

3) Steve Kampfer managed to high stick two guys on one swing of the stick, I've never seen that before.

4) The fourth line hasn't been bad, but Adam Cracknell and Paul Carey are very much marginal players who can't slot in anywhere else in the lineup for even a shift. Jimmy Vesey looked great in the top nine tonight, and Jesper Fast's return will also give them a player who brings good all-around play anywhere in the lineup. Still, I'm thankful the fourth line doesn't have a Chris Thorburn or Andreas Martinsen .

5) Mika Zibanejad has already matched his career high in power play goals, at 4. He's shooting a lot more, hitting the net more, and playing more minutes. It's strange to think, but before being put in this role, his career high in shots was 184 - he should easily be be topping 200, and well exceeding that. Last year only 119 of 226 shot attempts were on goal, but perhaps this reflects on the Rangers last year. It's crazy to think that a year ago they had Brandon Pirri pulling the trigger and dishing sloppy passes to Zbad instead of Shattenkirk and Buchnevich. The quality of play there is just so much better than last year. I suspect the frequent missed one-timers were partially a product of lesser passers on the power play unit.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

When the Rangers fourth line came on the ice they couldn't even make clean passes to each other. It was all just a little out of reach or on the wrong side, so they kept being forced to grind to get possession, which they eventually would lose. Real mediocre play.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mage_Boy posted:

Neal has every GWG.

Edit: who expected the 3 teams that would be undefeated after 3 games to be Toronto, Vegas, and St Louis?

Toronto and St Louis were always a chance to be one of those teams.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Stars have won a game

Life is looking up, y'all.:unsmith:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i wonder if av will be fired if we're still sub-500 after 20 games

of course that would mean lindy ruff would become coach so uh please start making less terrible decisions av

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shawn Cotureier posted:

I didn't see it but apparently Barkann was apoplectic at Hakstol to start the show

EDIT: He may have dropped an F bomb

EDIT 2: https://twitter.com/FanSince09/status/721540049465049089

Thank you for reminding me of swap.avi.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I want the Golden Knights to go 82-0 and 16-0 in the playoffs

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I miss Nate Schmidt :(. He's gonna be the #1 in Vegas.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kilza posted:

yeah well they got to play another bottom feeder twice, and Dallas.

Mind_Taker posted:

I miss Nate Schmidt :(. He's gonna be the #1 in Vegas.

Nah it'll be Shea Theodore whenever they figure out their stupid contract situation. I miss Schmidtty too, though

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

quote:

“I would put an NHL team here tomorrow, but this one has got to work,” Fertitta said referring to the Rockets as his primary worry. “Would I love to have the other dates in the building, do I want to see Toyota Center filled up 300 nights a year, definitely. So we’ll do whatever we can do, but whatever we do is going to make sense. But yes, Will we be aggressive? Yes. That’s my nature.”

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/10/10/new-rockets-owner-open-to-possibility-of-the-nhl-in-houston/

So what are the odds on the league announcing a new round of expansion by the end of the year now? 2 to 1?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think the NHL really wants Seattle, but maybe they'll give up if a group doesn't get their poo poo together.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

I think the NHL really wants Seattle, but maybe they'll give up if a group doesn't get their poo poo together.

Add Seattle, Houston and Quebec and you have the largest league in North America by number of teams and $1.5bn of pure unshared profit in the owner's pockets. Until the CBA closes the expansion money loophole, the owners have every reason to expand as much as possible in the next few years.

Houston and/or Seattle both work as a possible relocation threat.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Add Seattle, Houston and Quebec and you have the largest league in North America by number of teams and $1.5bn of pure unshared profit in the owner's pockets. Until the CBA closes the expansion money loophole, the owners have every reason to expand as much as possible in the next few years.

Houston and/or Seattle both work as a possible relocation threat.

Seriously: move Arizona to Houston. Keeps the same West balance, and surely Houston has to be better then the poo poo show Arizona has become.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Seriously: move Arizona to Houston. Keeps the same West balance, and surely Houston has to be better then the poo poo show Arizona has become.

Carolina had an announced attendance of less than 8000 yesterday.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Portland or Seattle should have an NHL team.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

ThinkTank posted:

Carolina had an announced attendance of less than 8000 yesterday.

Well hopefully if we have a successful season and do well in the playoffs attendance will recover.

Wasn't Pittsburgh and Chicago in the basement of the league in terms of attendance when they were having trouble?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Well hopefully if we have a successful season and do well in the playoffs attendance will recover.

Wasn't Pittsburgh and Chicago in the basement of the league in terms of attendance when they were having trouble?

They were and both were threatened with relocation. If Jim Balsille hadn't been an idiot the Pens would be in Hamilton today. I'm not saying Carolina should be moved, just that the league's issues with attendance and struggling franchises go a lot further than Arizona.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

Pittsburgh, definitely. I think Chicago was too.

There are only a handful of teams that won't have attendance problems if the team sucks for a prolonged period. I'd say maybe the Rangers and Flyers are the only American teams that would fit that bill, and then most of the Canadian teams.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Vargatron posted:

Yes, and people freaking out over numbers like this because it's a non-traditional market don't understand how attendance works these days.

Hell, even now the Penguins "sellout streak" is padded by walk-up student tickets and you can get in below face value for every game on the schedule except Toronto because Leafs fans drive down, and Vegas because Fleury.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

Pittsburgh, definitely. I think Chicago was too.

There are only a handful of teams that won't have attendance problems if the team sucks for a prolonged period. I'd say maybe the Rangers and Flyers are the only American teams that would fit that bill, and then most of the Canadian teams.

Yeah. I'd maybe add Boston and Minnesota to that list too, but that's just a guess. I didn't look up historical figures or anything. American sports fans have a lot of options and generally no one wants to watch a crappy on-ice product.

I miss when the Capitals sucked and I could sit in the lower bowl for like $30.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Boston averaged 14-15k a game until they got real good and look at that, started selling out.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yes, and people freaking out over numbers like this because it's a non-traditional market don't understand how attendance works these days.

Hell, even now the Penguins "sellout streak" is padded by walk-up student tickets and you can get in below face value for every game on the schedule except Toronto because Leafs fans drive down, and Vegas because Fleury.

I couldn't believe tickets for Round 1 last year were cheaper in Pittsburgh than Columbus on StubHub.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah. I'd maybe add Boston and Minnesota to that list too, but that's just a guess. I didn't look up historical figures or anything. American sports fans have a lot of options and generally no one wants to watch a crappy on-ice product.

I got Club level tickets for Flames/CBJ in Columbus in early 2013 for $15 a piece because nobody thought the Jackets would do anything without Rick Nash. This was right before they caught fire and nearly made the playoffs on the last day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago had its players walking around downtown giving away tickets trying to get people to come to their games.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I was a poor college student during Ovechkin's rookie year and I went to like 10-15 games for like $8 a piece. It owned living near a Metro station because I could literally just walk to the station and be at the arena in like 30 minutes if I wanted something to do that night on a whim.

I'd go to more Lightning games now that I live in the Tampa Bay area, but (a) the tickets are more expensive now that the Lightning are good/fun, and (b) I hate having to drive into downtown Tampa (even though the arena location is nice, I would kill to have some sort of decent public transit).

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ElwoodCuse posted:

Boston averaged 14-15k a game until they got real good and look at that, started selling out.

I guess that doesn't seem like "attendance problems" to me for a 17k capacity building in the same way that Pittsburgh averaging 10k-12k or Chicago at 11k-13k during their lean years was.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 11, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Carolina only just got bought out too...
if the team continues to stink and the attendance stays low I could see that being a prime candidate to get moved.

I don't think Houston is high on the list; I think Seattle is the next cab the NHL is desperate to catch. My bet would be relocation to Seattle, expansion to Quebec.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think the most heinous thing about the way ticket prices work at PNC Arena is the fact that you have to pay $20 to park when there is parking is only half full. They could probably do a better job with discounted tickets but I guess ownership would rather make better money with less people in the seats by charging more.

On the other hand, there is a hotel and bar within a quarter mile of the arena entrance so you could do a Saturday night game, get tanked, and then walk back to the hotel.

But yeah a lot of the other issues with attendance is that the Hurricanes have to compete with like 3 college football teams for half the season AND basketball.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

xzzy posted:

Chicago had its players walking around downtown giving away tickets trying to get people to come to their games.

I was eating at a restaurant with my parents when Patrick Sharp walked up to us giving us free tickets to a game that night.
They lost. I want to say it was 06? I was in high school still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Yasssss. I thought Djoos was an LD, but whatever. Although Ness still being out there scares me a bit...

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/918118478342696961

Mind_Taker posted:

I was a poor college student during Ovechkin's rookie year and I went to like 10-15 games for like $8 a piece. It owned living near a Metro station because I could literally just walk to the station and be at the arena in like 30 minutes if I wanted something to do that night on a whim.

I'd go to more Lightning games now that I live in the Tampa Bay area, but (a) the tickets are more expensive now that the Lightning are good/fun, and (b) I hate having to drive into downtown Tampa (even though the arena location is nice, I would kill to have some sort of decent public transit).

Yeah I would go Caps games all the time as a poor undergrad student. The girl's hockey team at AU would partner with them for fundraising too, so I could get lower bowl seats for like $25. And those were the golden Ovie years too, when defensemen didn't know what to do against him and he was constantly scoring on the rush. So much fun.

• Locked thread