Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Incoherence posted:

I got the impression that the (Dota) Summit's problem is that the teams attending take the opportunity to scrim with each other and otherwise practice with the whole team in the same room, leaving much less time for them to cast and get drunk and randomly wander into frame during the other matches, all of which are time-honored HSC traditions.

BTS apparently also does CS:GO and Smash Summits; I can't speak for how successful those are.

Anything DotA and casting-related's problem is that Bruno doesn't cast anymore.

Well, and that DotA isn't great to watch at least as compared to SC2 (esp Legacy of the Void SC2)/Brood War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Neurosis posted:

Well, and that DotA isn't great to watch at least as compared to SC2 (esp Legacy of the Void SC2)/Brood War.

Dota and sc2 are both fantastic for the viewer, its Overwatch that's an unwatchable clusterfuck.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Summit is super great! Dont listen to that guy.

HSC is great too of course.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Dota and sc2 are both fantastic for the viewer, its Overwatch that's an unwatchable clusterfuck.

Dota sucks to watch but home story is the best :)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Zest building all his structures in his base. A very bold move in PvP.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The HomeStory Cups have been the best SC2 events for many years now, but I have been especially impressed by this one. It's great to see how much passion there still is in the scene.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Oasx posted:

The HomeStory Cups have been the best SC2 events for many years now, but I have been especially impressed by this one. It's great to see how much passion there still is in the scene.

Winter is awful though. He's contributed nothing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Synastren posted:

Winter is awful though. He's contributed nothing.

The only thing I knew about Winter was that he was a popular youtuber, I had never seen any of his videos. But I actually think he is pretty good at this event, not a great caster but he comes off as a nice guy.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Winter is a lot better than I remembered and I can respect his, I guess, earnestness? You can tell hes almost never casted with people because hes bad about shutting up enough, but he also was improving by the second day.

Kinda funny theyve just designated him as the sacrificial Dennis correspondent

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

that draw between parting and cure was hype

Deschain
Nov 17, 2006

to the dark tower came
The whole series between Parting and Cure is hype. Best series of the tournament so far

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Oasx posted:

Only thing I don't like is you can get some pretty long breaks between games without anything going on. Other than that, yeah, it's great. Something I find amusing in how much more impactful it is - obviously Take lets the attendees more or less come up with their own plugs on the fly; equally, it's clear the attendees feel a bit more invested in selling it (I'm sure he puts some thought into who he asks to give the longer bits, of course). As a result, the promotions are often a bit funny and I don't just tune them out.

Also, I remain a big fan of Harstem. He has a dry sense of humour that not many SC2 personalities have. I remember him interviewing... I think Stats... On the second day. He was putting this long strategic question to Stats, who wasn't getting it, and it was a bit awkward. Harstem seemed to be getting weirdly aggressive about it, and the chat on Twitch was beginning to sledge Harstem for being weird. Then Harstem ends the explanation with something like 'And then the [very intricate and somewhat plausible sounding strategy] comes together by 5 lings running into your base and killing 18 probes'. It wasn't a super funny joke in the abstract, but the very dry and serious build-up Harstem had given it made the ending really funny, and everyone in the chat went OOOOOHHHH.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Deschain posted:

The whole series between Parting and Cure is hype. Best series of the tournament so far

Parting/Cure and Cure/Reynor are both great series.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Game 2 of MaNa vs Special deserves to win the HuK prize for best game.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I haven't watched most of the Protoss games, have speed voids or any other new changes been a thing?

My takeaways from Z and T are that the new Thors are brutal, new Lurkers are cool, and the Zerg are afraid to make Infestors or Broodlords against Mech anymore.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I've really enjoyed Juanito's commentary. I seem to remember him having the rep of being a jerk during his earlier days as Major but he's evolved into a beloved elder on the scene.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Zwabu posted:

I've really enjoyed Juanito's commentary. I seem to remember him having the rep of being a jerk during his earlier days as Major but he's evolved into a beloved elder on the scene.

I don't know about being a jerk, but he definetely used to have a reputation as being odd, so it's been very cool to see him hang out with everyone. One of my favourite parts of the SC2 community is that everyone just seems to get along and can have fun.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I hate mirror matches generally but if you cant appreciate some of these games I just dont know what.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Finally got back into masters MMR after 6 years out of it and there's a ladder lock. Fuckkkkk

Zwabu posted:

Is there any reasonable approach for someone who only enjoys one or two of the 3 matchups for laddering? Is it to choose some cheese or two base timing for the hated matchups to just grind through those games and at least get some wins?
Yeah just pick some stupid coinflip cheese. I offraced as zerg a while back and doing the 15 hatch speedling flood made for a lot of easy zvz wins. I think it was my highest % win rate: https://sc2swarm.com/index.php/2017/12/01/15-hatch-mass-speedling-all-in-defense-zvz/

Killing tosses with 3:22 nydus was also pretty easy, never found anything as simple and effective for ZvT though.

edit: also after you kill someone with that cheese, wait a minute to start the ladder search so you don't get them again

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Oasx posted:

I don't know about being a jerk, but he definetely used to have a reputation as being odd, so it's been very cool to see him hang out with everyone. One of my favourite parts of the SC2 community is that everyone just seems to get along and can have fun.

Major had a rep for being extremely difficult to work with. Petulant and childish is what I seem to remember, although I never got into specifics. Juanito seems to have changed since then.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Serral is quite the mentally resilient player.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

HSC was incredible, as always. No one puts on a tournament like TakeTV does.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find Redeye's segment. Does anyone have a link or an idea of when it aired? It'll be quite a while till I have time to rewatch all of the first few days.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Mass Banelings seem way too good at the pro level. I'm not sure how you are supposed to fight it as Terran. Like in the small to medium skirmishes you can out micro them and target fire them or force them to take bad trades vs tanks/marauders but once the supplies get maxed it seems like the banelings always find value because no one can micro an entire 200/200 army well enough. Seems like 95% of ZvT is playing as greedy as possible so you can absorb mediocre mid game trades and then kill the Terran in late game when they can't possibly defend all the bases they need to keep up. Once the Zerg hits Hive tech the Terran can't fight on even footing.

That said, HSC was awesome, some amazing games and a fair few of the players had great casting personalities. It was a lot of fun to hear their expert opinion on various builds and situations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yeah i really enjoyed the games with 3-4 pros commentating on them.

Don't get me wrong I like Tasteless and Artosis but their commentary isn't insightful

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Was HSC played on the balance patch? I thought that dropped on the 26th.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Was HSC played on the balance patch? I thought that dropped on the 26th.

It was played on the new balance. I don't know how they specifically arranged it.

They even hotfixed the bug where abduct reset BC jump cooldown by editing some .XML code, during the tournament!

Replay pack for HSC XX:

https://twitter.com/TrAiDoS/status/1198744133831143424?s=20

drepimetheus
Aug 10, 2018
I've never downloaded a replay pack of tournament games before. It's a much different experience to watch a replay like that, rather than see someone comment over a video. Super great link, thanks.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Im watching homestory cup VODs and drat.

Only seen a few games so far but I love the changes.

Speedier zealots is a simple change but its shocking how much it impacts the game.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

drepimetheus posted:

I've never downloaded a replay pack of tournament games before. It's a much different experience to watch a replay like that, rather than see someone comment over a video. Super great link, thanks.

I feel like viewing replays is really good if you want to learn some really specific, concrete things. Like what top players use for the control groups. What scouting patterns do they use? What rally points do they set?

If you're trying to learn a build you can see it EXACTLY as it unfolds and all the timings.

It's useful even seeing what the players look at, what cameras they cycle between and how much time they spend looking at stuff.

It's just very cool to view a replay through the camera view of one of your favorite players and see how the game looks to Innovation or Serral when they are playing.

It's fun watching vods and listening to caster banter, and for a long time you could rarely get replays of top Koreans, but since Blizzcon, HSC and the IEM tournaments (and Dreamhack - do they still do SC2 at all?) release replay packs it's a good source of replays for whatever favorite players of yours have attended those events.

I always find it instructive when viewing your own replays to look through the opponent's camera, particularly in games you lost.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Speaking of replays, here they are for the just completed NationWars:

https://twitter.com/DrAeromi/status/1203808584225689606

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Very enjoyable game on Harstems youtube today, its a challenge he had to only use colossi and adepts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l85LRdYhXU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Warp prisms are still toxic poo poo.

But game is good.

Nerf vipers (aoe anti air is still too good).

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
ViBE is doing another bronze to GM series for the new patch, a guide for each race. He's really improved his guide imo, clearly breaking up the concepts and teaching well. Here's his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ViBEdanny/playlists

drepimetheus
Aug 10, 2018
I'm gonna second the recommendation for the Vibe B2GM series. I used to only meme in CoOp and play campaign, but Vibe's really helped me appreciate the gameplay loops of 1v1. He strictly adheres to rules such as "No micro whatsoever" while in bronze. He keeps his gameplay simple and he often spends more time breaking down games than actually playing in them. He explains what all he is scouting for and how he infers what he infers. He is also releasing all of his B2GM games for free via his Discord.

I can't stress enough how accessible and comprehensive this series is. It's breathed fresh and deep life into the game for me. Outstanding.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

drepimetheus posted:

I'm gonna second the recommendation for the Vibe B2GM series. I used to only meme in CoOp and play campaign, but Vibe's really helped me appreciate the gameplay loops of 1v1. He strictly adheres to rules such as "No micro whatsoever" while in bronze. He keeps his gameplay simple and he often spends more time breaking down games than actually playing in them. He explains what all he is scouting for and how he infers what he infers. He is also releasing all of his B2GM games for free via his Discord.

I can't stress enough how accessible and comprehensive this series is. It's breathed fresh and deep life into the game for me. Outstanding.

I've started playing Random by using his overall strategy for improvement and builds that are built adjacent to his. It's a good way to keep from tilting to have a relatively simple plan to work on fundamental mechanics; I'm about half as salty as Artosis if I get hard into SC2.

I am very annoyed that my Protoss is getting close to my Zerg, though. :negative:

Related: How the gently caress is pvp my best matchup?

Nutsack Rangoon
Mar 30, 2010

EVERYTHING IS NUMBERED HERE. THE MONSTER IS ZERO.

Synastren posted:

I've started playing Random by using his overall strategy for improvement and builds that are built adjacent to his. It's a good way to keep from tilting to have a relatively simple plan to work on fundamental mechanics; I'm about half as salty as Artosis if I get hard into SC2.

I am very annoyed that my Protoss is getting close to my Zerg, though. :negative:

porotosss is an overpowered race and their players have weak wrists and atrophied brains. on an even playing field they can't even compete with your mechanics or mind games

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

My mind games are to make base and defence it

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Synastren posted:

PvP is weird and doesn't play like the other matchups at all. Over my SC2 life it has been very usual for my PvP to be plus or minus 10% for the other two match-ups. It's... Better in LotV than it was previously - we're not (Korean) 4gating each other every game - but it's still both odd and kinda dumb.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is Korean 4gate back? That's how I first got diamond in WoL. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

bamhand posted:

Is Korean 4gate back? That's how I first got diamond in WoL. Good times.

Nope. 4gate is dead (except maaaaybe some proxy robo --> warp prism --> warp into base stuff). Proxying buildings, however, is still all the rage.

Upgraded EMP is bullshit. Feedback might as well not exist versus ghosts with it as there's no hope in hell of hitting them as they fire off their poo poo far before your HTs get in range; disruptors have to be used to zone which is very easy to gently caress up (and with liberator range it becomes extremely hard). Yes yes keeping all your HTs in a speed prism helps, but with it being very very easy for Terran to blanket everything but the HTs in the prism, and the crazy DPS of late game armies, it's not really enough to turn the fight even if you land a bunch of storms with those HTs.