Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I'm receiving a sign-on bonus for a job I started recently and am earmarking around $2,500 for kitchen upgrades. This won't go as far as it immediately sounds, since I need to include a stove on this list. But considering this is the Memorial Day weekend sale time, I figure now's the time to try and stretch a dollar.

Any fun out of left field appliances or upgrades that you would indulge in if you had the chance?

Any hot Memorial Day sales going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bo-Pepper posted:

I'm receiving a sign-on bonus for a job I started recently and am earmarking around $2,500 for kitchen upgrades. This won't go as far as it immediately sounds, since I need to include a stove on this list. But considering this is the Memorial Day weekend sale time, I figure now's the time to try and stretch a dollar.

Any fun out of left field appliances or upgrades that you would indulge in if you had the chance?

I would get the finest glass cutting board money can buy :twisted:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bigger fridge

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

I would get the finest glass cutting board money can buy :twisted:

nooooooooooo

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Get a boiling water tap. Unlimited tea whenever you want.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Non-comedy option, if you don't already have them, I have under-cabinet lights covering every inch of counter space in my kitchen. One day they'll have to be pried from my cold, dead hands. Only a few hundred bucks depending on how much counter space you have; assuming you can do the electrical work yourself, or have a convenient receptacle.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah multicolor lighting that rainbow cycles

Great if you’ve turned down the lights for movie night but need to fix a snack

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Most recent upgrades we've loved: Bosch dishwasher that dries with lower heat - more eco friendly and gentler on plastics. Only downside is the drain filter needs cleaning way more often than previous machine.

Double size air fryer

Ooni pizza oven

Next upgrades we're anticipating:
Motorized turntable for pizza oven

iPad, stand, and Paprika

Upgrade disappointment: LG Studio steam oven. Only barely more consistent heating / temperature control than our prior oven, but it came calibrated 30°F too cold at 350°F, and a smaller difference at the low end we haven't been able to measure with a typical oven thermometer, but boy howdy made a big difference in Sous Vide mode. Doesn't have a baking "inject a fuckton of steam only at the beginning" setting, and we don't feel like faffing about trying to manually change modes after the oven spring. So we just use our Dutch ovens inside like we've always done, but yeah kind of a big fail on a key feature.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bo-Pepper posted:

The largest cuisinart food processor you can get
~&200

A decent vitamix blender
~$300

A good air fryer and/or good instapot.
~$100 for the latter

Tramontina tri ply set of pans
~$300-400

A nice set of plates and/or silverware
~I have no idea I just use my IKEA ones

Kitchenaid Stand mixer
~$300

Hand mixer
~$50

Waffle maker
~$100

Those are in semi order. I’d probably upgrade pans first.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

fr0id posted:

Hand mixer
~$50

Oh hell yeah. If you get an immersion blender with whisk attachment, all the better. I use mine from 2006 several times per week.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I have been very happy since putting an iPad stand on my counter. Cookbooks are a pain in the rear end.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hell yeah I forgot upgrading the hand mixer is great. Also the really nice cookbook or iPad stand.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
What’s the current thinking on the best air fryer? I have a basic one that does the job but if there’s some fancy model that really does it I’m interested in hearing about that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bo-Pepper posted:

get this op

https://knifewear.com/collections/japanese-kitchen-knives/products/ken-kageura-aogami-damascus-single-bevel-knife-325mm

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A 325 mm single bevel? Kind of an odd choice. I’d go with something like this

https://www.knifesharpeningseattle.com/culinaryknives/wing-on-wing

Leaves almost enough left over for a GE nugget ice maker.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anova precision oven

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Subjunctive posted:

anova precision oven

Since I'm employed now, I've been wanting to get a Breville Smart Onion Pro, would the avova one be better? I'd probably want the best air fryer function and don't really do sous vide.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

the anova is an upgrade over the breville if you don't mind the cost and more parts that could break

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Subjunctive posted:

anova precision oven

this does steam too, right? people seem to love it.

I actually wanted to ask the thread’s opinion on steam ovens since I’m in the market for a new wall oven but they’re pretty pricey. I do bread sometimes but I can’t tell how useful it is for other things.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

halokiller posted:

the anova is an upgrade over the breville if you don't mind the cost and more parts that could break

Yeah, someone itt or the sous vide thread has already had this thing replaced under warranty a couple of times.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Is there a consensus kitchen scale? Ive been using an ozasri(sp) from Amazon for a long time but want an upgrade. Thank you

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

KD8000

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Awesome exactly what I was looking for thank you :)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Since I'm employed now, I've been wanting to get a Breville Smart Onion Pro, would the avova one be better? I'd probably want the best air fryer function and don't really do sous vide.

For what it's worth, I love my Smart Oven Pro so much that even if the Anova oven came with free handjibbers for life, I wouldn't give up the Breville. One of the best, if not THE best kitchen appliances ever made.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Smart Oven Pro doesn't have steam. It's not an equivalent tool. I do think they're very nice, though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Midniter posted:

For what it's worth, I love my Smart Oven Pro so much that even if the Anova oven came with free handjibbers for life, I wouldn't give up the Breville. One of the best, if not THE best kitchen appliances ever made.

my vote for best kitchen appliance ever made is the “sink with running water” but ok

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Internet Explorer posted:

Smart Oven Pro doesn't have steam. It's not an equivalent tool. I do think they're very nice, though.

Which, tbh, I don't need. I never sous vide. I mainly want it to a) replace my low to mid tier toaster oven, and B) have an air fryer.
If the Anova doesn't air fry better than the Breville, I guess that's what I should get.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I never sous vide in the APO, I use a circulator for that. I do use steam for keeping things moist while roasting, or steaming vegetables or such. my wife loves it for bread; I don’t know exactly how she uses it, but it turns out great!

the APO also lets you set like 80°F as a temp and hold it, which also helps proofing stuff

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I got the newer instant pot w sousvide function and air fryer lid.

I find it does very well at both, but I use the air fryer very rarely compared to the other parts .

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I just discovered the sous vide mode on my steam oven works great for keeping breakfast baked goods warm without drying out, if that's ever a need you have. Reheating too!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

BrianBoitano posted:

I just discovered the sous vide mode on my steam oven works great for keeping breakfast baked goods warm without drying out, if that's ever a need you have. Reheating too!

Is this an APO or clone or something in your full size oven?

Do they make a resi combi oven yet? I’ll run a water line tomorrow if so.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://www.lg.com/us/cooking-appliances/lg-wses4728f-single-electric-wall-oven

I don't think the sous vide mode is accurate enough for eggs, and we don't cook red meat really so haven't tried it much. Also, it's a reservoir not a plumbed line. Requires distilled water too, if that matters to you!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Took advantage of Memorial Day sales and we ordered ourselves a new induction range. A handful of our pots and pans will need to be replaced, and I'm curious if anyone has a wok they'd recommend for an induction burner?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Quoting myself, I've still been quite happy with my yosukata black carbon steel wok on my induction range. Otoh I think someone else itt warped theirs?

alnilam posted:

I spent a while reading reviews and settled on the yosukata black carbon steel flat bottom wok. Serious Eats did a big review of flat bottom woks where they actually talk about the tests they did on them, which at least makes it a little more convincing than random paid promotion or machine generated garbage out there but who knows, maybe I've been fooled. I will let you know in a few weeks if I'm still happy with it, but for now I'm just passing on what I read.

It's still pretty heavy... not cast iron heavy but not light. But something light isn't going to take induction very well and isn't going to distribute heat very well either, so just make peace with the fact that anything good will probably be a bit heavy (maybe not cast iron heavy though)

alnilam posted:

First meal cooked on this new wok + new induction stove. I was very happy with it. I had expected to have to use the 6" or 8" burners and that they would only couple with that flat bottom part, but to my surprise the 13" burner was happy to couple with it and actually added some heat partway up the slope. The metal spread the heat around to the rest pretty nicely and for the first time since I used to have a gas stove, I really felt like the wok was doing what a wok should (okay not mega hot "wok hei" stuff but pretty drat good)

I make no claim that this is specific to the wok I bought, nor that it would perform the same with every induction cooktop, but I will say i was pleased with how the new system performed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

alnilam posted:

Quoting myself, I've still been quite happy with my yosukata black carbon steel wok on my induction range. Otoh I think someone else itt warped theirs?

Excellent, that was one I was looking at so I went ahead and pulled the trigger!