Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

My daughter is nine months old. Changing diapers and dressing her is turning into a variation of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Once my son could hold my phone and watch YouTube he became a lot easier to change...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Alterian posted:

I hate giving my kid antibiotics because its a 50/50 chance it will be a battle that ends up in having to force it in his mouth. Who knew having dogs was a great training tool for having kids.

Our Walgreens always does the flavored stuff. We tell him it's time to take his medicine and he sprints over like I just comes and takes it no fuss. Syringe + Bubblegum flavor.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Oodles posted:

My 5 year old today went into the basketball club after school, hadn’t asked us if she was allowed to, and got one of her friends to come out and tell the childminder she doesn’t need picking up.

She’s 5, gently caress me this is hard. I’d take the baby stage over this.

How do I even begin to deal with this

First, I would talk to the school and ask why childminders are taking the word of 5 year old friends without any confirmation from the child's guardian.

Second, remind your daughter that if she wants to participate in something, all she has to do is ask. She needs to be reminded that you are open to talking about anything.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

Our Walgreens always does the flavored stuff. We tell him it's time to take his medicine and he sprints over like I just comes and takes it no fuss. Syringe + Bubblegum flavor.

So does ours. Sometimes he'll take it no problem. Sometimes its like we're trying to get him to eat plutonium. No matter how much explaining or coaxing or punishment will get him to cooperate in that sort of mood. I get that he's also sick so its hard to get mad and really punish him for not taking it when he's not feeling well. I think it has more to do with him being stubborn than not liking how it tastes. If it was for anything else I wouldn't force it. He'll fight over taking ibuprofen about 50% of the time and he's the one that chose the flavor and says he likes it.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Chili posted:

Is there any sort of consensus here on good books for first-time parents?

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm personally a fan of Armin A. Brott's New Father series.

I know this is a few pages back, but I asked a similar question for similar reasons actual just finished the first of Brott's New Father books. I want to provide some thoughts!

In general, it is without a doubt the best book series for fatherhood. However, that's at least partially because most other options are so bad; seriously, Amazon is full of dumb bullshit like "The Quarterback's Playbook to Baby Bootcamp" or whatever

He does a fantastic job at being informative and plainly explaining what it's like for baby and your partner. Most importantly, he doesn't shy away from any topic: your sex life, struggling with jealousy, how to handle the many things that can go wrong with your baby, dealing with bizarre thoughts such as wondering if the baby is yours, and so on. He really deals with an enormous amount of subject matter, but never so much that he loses you.

My biggest complaint is that he does come across as kinda... Men's Rights-y? It's nothing overt or bad, but you know how MRAs have the habit of interjecting themselves into a conversation about discrimination or bias with "yeah, but men face that kind of thing, too!". It feels like that at times.

I guess that comes with the territory of making a book "for men" in a field so dominated by women, but it can feel a bit off-putting. My advice would be to only take the suggestions that make sense for your situation and discard the rest.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Man parenting is a gut punch sometimes. As referenced in my previous post, my dad just went into home hospice for acute leukemia.

My oldest today for the first time said “I love you daddy” as we were getting ready for bed.

No way I could keep it together after that even if I wanted to.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 8, 2018

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

devmd01 posted:

Man parenting is a gut punch sometimes. As referenced in my previous post, my dad just went into home hospice for acute leukemia.

My oldest today for the first time said “I love you daddy” as we were getting ready for bed.

My husband gets misty when he hears "Cat's in the Cradle". I tear up at commercials and sappy movies. Parenthood is...interesting.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

umbrage posted:

Just want to add that not pooping is something to notice, but not peeing is dangerous. So long as the diaper is wet at least twice or thrice daily, no poops usually just means they'll uh, catch up later.

We had poopy diapers last night and at lunch today, though she was still crying so I'm guessing there's still more to come. I am frantically trying to breastfeed as much as possible as I read that helps? Also liquids and pears.

Geisladisk posted:

My daughter is nine months old. Changing diapers and dressing her is turning into a variation of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

This.

Oodles posted:

My 5 year old today went into the basketball club after school, hadn’t asked us if she was allowed to, and got one of her friends to come out and tell the childminder she doesn’t need picking up.

She’s 5, gently caress me this is hard. I’d take the baby stage over this.

How do I even begin to deal with this

:gonk:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

We spoke as we were walking home more about how we were worried she wasn’t where she was supposed to be. And if she would be worried if we weren’t there to pick her up. Which I think she understood.

Also said about you need to ask to go to things, and you can’t just turn up to clubs as they may need booking or paid for.

I didn’t ban tv, because It would be too harsh as she probably wasn’t aware what she did was wrong. Vy: she’s aware of that now.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

devmd01 posted:

Granted, I'd been off my anxiety\depression meds for a day but my son almost say "Hi Dada" and I was inches from losing it at work.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

WarpDogs posted:

My biggest complaint is that he does come across as kinda... Men's Rights-y? It's nothing overt or bad, but you know how MRAs have the habit of interjecting themselves into a conversation about discrimination or bias with "yeah, but men face that kind of thing, too!". It feels like that at times.
Having read most of his books, I agree with your assessment that they're the best books for a father. Everything else I read seemed to re-enforce that you're there as a backup to mom.

While I can see where you're coming from with the MRA thing, I saw their purpose more of reassuring the father that it's ok to feel a certain way.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Irritated Goat posted:

My son's gonna need speech therapy :smith: He's just turned 2 but pretty much only says Mama, Dada, No, Yeah. The latter 2 to varying degrees. He clearly recognizes letters and numbers and animal sounds so I'm not freaking out, just worried.

dont sweat it, a lot of boys are just stubborn little assholes when it comes to speech

if he hasn't improved much and he's nearing 3, that's when you should worry

devmd01 posted:

my biggest problem is not laughing at my toddler when she has a tantrum. i dont want to invalidate her emotions but the things she freaks out over, and the way in which she freaks out are just funny

the other night we had a problem because she greatly prefers mommy to read stories at bedtime, but sometimes mommy is just done adulting and so daddy takes over. we nominally try to split bedtime chores 50/50 but mommy often ends up reading stories just because it's what kiddo wants

anyway we were insistent the other night that i was going to read stories and that was final. cutting slack is one thing but we often have to insist just so that our kid doesn't get the idea that tantrums get her what she wants. cue this exchange between mommy and kiddo:

"daddy will read you stories tonight"

"no!"

"daddy will read you stories. pick out three stories for daddy to read"

"no!"

"daddy will read you three stories. go pick them out"

"NO! MOMMY will ready me FIVE STORIES"

"daddy will read you three stories"

"i dont WANT daddy to read stories! MOMMY will read stories!!"

"why dont you want daddy to read stories?"

at this point she's screaming

"because I LOVE YOU!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!"

ultimately daddy read three stories but still, lmao

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 9, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was sitting with my daughter (3) and she just said 'Daddy, I love you so much!' and I was feeling pretty great until she immediately followed up with. ''...I also love trees! and I love T-rex. I love T-rex, trees, and then you.'

I mean ok top three isn't bad and obviously I didn't mind, it was just some rollercoaster ride.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

boner confessor posted:

ultimately daddy read three stories but still, lmao

mods plz new thread title

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Yesterday our almost-3yo had the longest freakout because she didn't want to put on her clothes before going home from daycare. "I'm going home ALONE mommy and I'm GLUING THE DOOR SHUT and you can stay here ALL NIGHT". Then she cried and cried because she would be cold and lonely on the way home. It really is a challenge not to laugh sometimes.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

boner confessor posted:

Irritated Goat posted:

My son's gonna need speech therapy He's just turned 2 but pretty much only says Mama, Dada, No, Yeah. The latter 2 to varying degrees. He clearly recognizes letters and numbers and animal sounds so I'm not freaking out, just worried.
dont sweat it, a lot of boys are just stubborn little assholes when it comes to speech

if he hasn't improved much and he's nearing 3, that's when you should worry

Public Serpent posted:

Yesterday our almost-3yo had the longest freakout because she didn't want to put on her clothes before going home from daycare. "I'm going home ALONE mommy and I'm GLUING THE DOOR SHUT and you can stay here ALL NIGHT". Then she cried and cried because she would be cold and lonely on the way home. It really is a challenge not to laugh sometimes.

It depends on how much speech therapy costs. In some places it is free or nearly free through the school district, some insurance covers it fully, etc. If it's free, there's no reason not to use the service. If it's not free but still affordable, a two-year-old with fewer than, say, 20 words or so? should still definitely get evaluated for future therapy. At two, my younger son had maybe four words and two signs, even though he was following complicated directions like "take this cup and bring it to Daddy in his office", and because my older son had had about sixty words at that age, their pediatrician and I agreed that speech therapy was warranted.

After nine months of weekly speech therapy, he's communicating so much more that I thought I had been unnecessarily worried, because, yes, a lot of kids really don't talk a lot before 3, and maybe that's all it was. And yet, after said dramatic improvement, enough that the therapy place warned me that insurance might not continue covering weekly therapy, he's still nowhere near producing sentences like that, or even communicating ideas like that: I can imagine him saying "go, me go, no! no go, Mama!" to approximate "I'm going home ALONE", but I can't even figure out how he'd approximate the idea of gluing (or taping) the door shut, or me staying there instead of just not going with him.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
To be fair, ours always gets comments for being an early talker. This year she got moved up to the big kid group at daycare and she really took off, it's obvious she's learning so much from seeing the older kids and teachers communicating. It made me wonder about the couple of kids who stayed in the baby group because they weren't talking so much yet, and if they might not have benefited more from moving up anyway.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We’re seeing that with our oldest. Her birthday is August 3rd, so she’s right at the date for cutoffs with age groups. When we had her in full time day care prior to the twins, we had her in the room of kids where she was way on the low end of the age range, and that seemed to help her develop faster.

At the two day a week preschool she’s in now she’s the oldest in the group and we aren’t seeing as much development. Then again, the daycare we had her in before was fantastic, but even so I think having her in a group that stretched and pushed her was a good thing.

We are leaning towards putting her in kindergarten as soon as possible instead of holding off a year for that very reason.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Noticed on Amazon that they're running another sale on Green Toys, this time the Ferry Boat.

I don't know what deal with the devil is required to make a company profitable at these price points but they're a hell of a deal for toddler toys. High impact, dish-washable plastic for cheap.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

On the subject of high quality children’s toys, my dad has been slowly doling out his chevron happy car collection to his grandson. They are all high quality plastic cars and trucks, and not that hard to find online for cheap.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FunOne posted:

Noticed on Amazon that they're running another sale on Green Toys, this time the Ferry Boat.

I don't know what deal with the devil is required to make a company profitable at these price points but they're a hell of a deal for toddler toys. High impact, dish-washable plastic for cheap.

Does that boat actually float properly? I swear every boat toy we've ever gotten never actually floats. It just capsizes immediately.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Does that boat actually float properly? I swear every boat toy we've ever gotten never actually floats. It just capsizes immediately.

We have the ferry and the helicopter boat and they properly float. My experience was similar to yours, either not actually sealed or so close to the water line to sink in any movement. These have nice high lines and can handle some waves.

If we put the kiddo in the larger master bath they last a good time before he topples them over.

They also have designed pour spouts so you can dump them and float them again easily. Well thought out.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
We have the boat and sub and both float well. They hold up fabulously and don't get all moldy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
David headbutts me a lot of the time, especially when I pick them up at daycare he can start headbutting me in the hip, it hurts! It's like he gets to excited, sees me and comes running screaming "dad" and headbutts me. He also has issues sometimes with outbursts (and understanding the not running inside rule seems impossible) and can get pretty physical. I am told he mostly does it with this Daniel but sometimes he might do it with other kids too. He's constantly informed you shouldn't do this with others, not Daniel either (though they get pretty physical with each other) but it doesn't seem to stick.

Don't really know the optimal way to handle this, I've heard others say they had kids that were impossible at this age but mellowed out. Seems a combination of excessive energy and occasional poor impulse control. Which I guess describes lots of kids. They got several people on this as well from the county and we're having a meeting next week to go over what they do and how they do it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

My mother- and sister-in-law stayed at our house over the weekend. My SIL brought her 2yo son and 6mo old daughter. It's very hard not to try to armchair parent her son for her. She complained the whole weekend about how our daughter is so much better behaved than her son and how lucky we are to have her. I'll give her that the genetics lottery did pay us some favors as our daughter is very chill, unlike her son who seems to be hopped up on caffeine 24/7.

However, there's a clear lack of discipline going on for her son. She gives him what he wants to eat at every meal and only ever asks him to try food on his plate one time half-heartedly. She likes to have the TV on all day in the background in case "he needs something to do" (which was the one thing we put our foot down on this weekend and wouldn't budge, so she gave him his Kindle whenever he asked). She also uses watching TV / Kindle as part of the bed time routine to help him "settle down." And she always gives in to every tantrum he throws.

She complains about his hyper-activeness, his tantrums, and his inability to fall asleep at a reasonable time (10PM bedtime for a 2yo). And I'm sitting here thinking, put some discipline on your child, show him you're the boss, and see what happens. But I'm a good brother-in-law, so I bit my tongue the whole weekend.

Do you ever wonder how someone else's kid would be had you been the one raising them?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm a proud parent. My son saw my wife yell at our cat for clawing furniture. He got down from the table, picked up the cat's scratching pad he'd been using as a car ramp, and placed it in front of the cat.

Our son is smarter than a cat. :3:

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

She also uses watching TV / Kindle as part of the bed time routine to help him "settle down."
jfc

(10PM bedtime for a 2yo)
JFC

Is there another partner involved for this kid? Is the MIL not saying anything because your SIL is combative/adamant, because it seems like maybe the MIL was also a pretty undisciplined parent and it just got passed down.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Don't really know the optimal way to handle this, I've heard others say they had kids that were impossible at this age but mellowed out. Seems a combination of excessive energy and occasional poor impulse control. Which I guess describes lots of kids. They got several people on this as well from the county and we're having a meeting next week to go over what they do and how they do it.

I'm curious about this too, because my kid has gotten a little bitey. He's never done it out of anger, only when he's been hyped up or overtired. Like twice in his life, when I've been rocking him before bed, he'd bury his face in my traps, and just slowly bear down until it got uncomfortable. But recently he was apparently so excited to see a friend he hadn't had a playdate with for a long time that he bit her three separate times. He stopped immediately when it was clear it was hurting, and was told each time it wasn't okay. He allegedly looked more confused than anything.

Right now we're going with "enthusiastic kiss gone wrong", but I feel like I'm parameterizing this a lot just to make my kid one of the "good biters" instead of the kid in our playgroup who has a jerkface older brother who antagonizes him, and will absolutely bite a kid who tries to take his toys.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

her 2yo son and 6mo old daughter

I'd wager that is the root cause of like 95% of what you mentioned. Cut the poor woman and kid some slack as obviously the whole family is going through a rough transition and maybe offer to babysit one or both on occasion to give the parents a break instead of being a judgemental jerk.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

New Weave Wendy posted:

I'd wager that is the root cause of like 95% of what you mentioned. Cut the poor woman and kid some slack as obviously the whole family is going through a rough transition and maybe offer to babysit one or both on occasion to give the parents a break instead of being a judgemental jerk.

Im glad someone else thought this as well.

Yes, I'm sure he/she would be the perfect hypothetical parent to those kids that aren't his. Mmmhmmm.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Whoops long day. Wrong thread

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 13, 2018

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Putting Jasper to bed tonight, he was looking wistfully out the window and proclaimed: "I hope the golden man comes tonight. He's magic and makes all your dreams come true."

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

umbrage posted:

Is there another partner involved for this kid? Is the MIL not saying anything because your SIL is combative/adamant, because it seems like maybe the MIL was also a pretty undisciplined parent and it just got passed down.

Her husband is the kind of guy who hands the kids over the instant things get rough. He also spanks, which is a whole different issue. My MIL goes along with everything because she babysits 3 days a week out of guilt, hates it, and wants to make it as easy as possible.

New Weave Wendy posted:

sheri posted:

Im glad someone else thought this as well.

Yes, I'm sure he/she would be the perfect hypothetical parent to those kids that aren't his. Mmmhmmm.

Totally agree with you here. I'm being very judgmental towards my wife's family. But I always have been because they're not the greatest people (how my wife came from them is beyond me).

My SIL is definitely tired of everything. When she had her son and found out her husband was going to be kind of a deadbeat dad, we offered to let her move in with us if she chose to leave her husband (spoiler alert: she hasn't, and he's still really bad for her, treats her like she's a guest in his house, and doesn't help much. He changed his daughter's diaper for the first time when she was 2 months old.). If she wasn't 3 hours away, we'd definitely be offering to watch the kids more. We do make it a point to watch the kids whenever we're visiting, and I certainly did most of the watching while they were visiting us this past weekend.

These problems started when her son was born, and her daughter has certainly made things much harder on her. I feel bad for her, but at some point, she needs to quit asking my wife for advice on how to raise her kids if she doesn't intend to use any of it or tell my wife that she's dumb for the way we raise our daughter.

I was mostly musing about the hypotheticals of how kids would turn out being raised by other people, which turned into an anonymous vent on the internet. Didn't mean to offend anyone with my personal family issues.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Is her husband a complete dick in other ways too?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Alterian posted:

Putting Jasper to bed tonight, he was looking wistfully out the window and proclaimed: "I hope the golden man comes tonight. He's magic and makes all your dreams come true."

What, C3PO?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Alterian posted:

Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Chin Strap posted:

Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun.

Master of Karate and Friendship to Everyone

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think he means a leprechaun. It was creepy when he said it though!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

sheri posted:

Is her husband a complete dick in other ways too?

I don't want to devolve into an E/N discussion, but he's not a good person. On the positive side, he isn't domestically violent (outside of the spanking) and provides for his family monetarily. My wife and I really want her to divorce him and move in with her parents or us, but she gets very defensive of him and her choice to be with him, so my wife doesn't broach that subject anymore.

To bring it back to the parenting thread. My 2.5yo daughter recently became afraid of the dark. The only way she will sleep now is if the door is open - night lights don't cut it. We did CIO to get her to sleep on her own initially (and we certainly wouldn't be opposed to doing it again), but this is different than before. We can tell that her cries are out of legitimate fear, and she runs out of her bed and knocks on the door until we open it if we leave the door closed. Once the door is open, she's fine.

Our main concern is her bedroom is at the top of the stairs, so she hears a lot of noise from downstairs now that her door is open. This keeps her awake for much longer than normal. With the door closed, she would fall asleep in 15 minutes, but now that she's afraid of the dark and needs the door open, it takes her up to 1.5hrs to fall asleep. Even if we're being super furtive in our talking and movements, the open-floor nature of the house makes any sound carry up the stairs.

Any advice from the goon hive? Or is it just a phase that she will soon get through like every other phase in her life, and she can deal with the less sleep for now?

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 13, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

When my son went through this phase my wife and I just hid in our bedroom with our door closed until he fell asleep, then we could move about the house normally with no issues.

It lasted about a month.

e: now he sleeps with no night-light and if we leave it on he complains about the light in his eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My daughter (9mo) woke up at 4am, giggling. She then started clapping her hands for a while. She then blew raspberries for a couple of minutes. She then went back to sleep without either me or my wife ever interacting with her, at all.

I didn't really mind being woken up, for once. :shobon: