Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Quick Shin Megami Tensei V question now that I've reached my first terminal ley line fountain and had the chance to save: how do the multiple endings work? Obvious choices like Nocturne, or invisible alignment axis like 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
An obvious choice made at a very clearly marked "this is the point of no return" moment in the game. The only catch is that the "True" version of the Neutral ending has a few non-alignment related requirements (completing certain sidequests and the main game's optional superboss) that must be done before said choice.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also you get a little bonus if the choice you make aligns with the choices you've made previously (Law or Chaos). It doesn't change the ending at all, just a little mechanical bonus.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strictly speaking, the fact that I don't remember every detail about a game I rented once as a kid, even one I liked, is not unusual.

On the other how did I not notice that :psyduck:

one of those bathroom reader trivia books had a piece on various serial killers ok, i didnt look them up for fun or something

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You think they let Ted see Joker in prison?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Finally got done with Caligula Effect 2. It has that jank-rear end low-budget experimental PS2 JRPG vibe that I just absolutely love. Cast is great, music's fantastic, and the combat system is neat, though it definitely could have used more work. Definitely hope we get a CE3 at some point, I'll pick it up without a second thought.

Also more RPGs should let you ask the party members a bunch of dumb questions, I nearly 100%'ed the game just for those alone.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Someone got that excerpt from the math textbook about Ted being better known for work in other fields

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Clarste posted:

Also you get a little bonus if the choice you make aligns with the choices you've made previously (Law or Chaos). It doesn't change the ending at all, just a little mechanical bonus.

Ugh, I remember SMT4 Apocalypse had the opposite. All the alignment choices in dialogue boil down to "Friendship" and "rear end in a top hat", and if you don't have enough rear end in a top hat points when choosing the Apocalypse you lose all of your poo poo, appropriately enough. IIRC the penalty for doing the reverse (choosing the Friendship ending with too many rear end in a top hat points) is significantly less devastating; I think all your allied demons get deleted, which would be a problem if the ensuing battle wasn't heavily scripted or if you needed to travel farther than a single menu to open the Compendium.

In other SMT5 news, I ambushed a couple of crummy Pretas in the very first Netherworld area, but game decided they should go first and demand more Macca than I had. I refused, and they promptly flattened me and my lovely level 2 Pixie with three crits in a row. Load up a save, ambushed by a pair of Slimes, same result.
In other words, an authentic ATLUS experience! Don't know why I expected anything else! Hee-ho, motherfucker, you're gonna die! :D

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The game kinda implies it but preemptive strikes only count as such if the enemy isn’t aggroed, regardless of whether or not you slash at an aggroed enemy. It’s kinda dumb insofar as there’s no incentive not to just run like a coward, wait for the enemy to warp back to its initial location, and then try again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Last Celebration posted:

The game kinda implies it but preemptive strikes only count as such if the enemy isn’t aggroed, regardless of whether or not you slash at an aggroed enemy. It’s kinda dumb insofar as there’s no incentive not to just run like a coward, wait for the enemy to warp back to its initial location, and then try again.

Your time is worth more than that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Heh, maybe YOUR time.

(I usually just run from enemies though unless it’s super easy to ambush them tbh)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Last Celebration posted:

The game kinda implies it but preemptive strikes only count as such if the enemy isn’t aggroed, regardless of whether or not you slash at an aggroed enemy.

Thankfully I did pick up on this pretty quick. I want to recruit somebody so I can get a third press-turn, but my previous SMT experience tells me that Dark-aligned demons like Slimes and Pretas can't be recruited, only fused.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

Thankfully I did pick up on this pretty quick. I want to recruit somebody so I can get a third press-turn, but my previous SMT experience tells me that Dark-aligned demons like Slimes and Pretas can't be recruited, only fused.

Well maybe you should try anyways

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I wouldn't have called Astria Ascending on Hard an easy game per se, but it hasn't been particularly challenging, except yikes there's a pretty crazy difficulty spike since the Coliseum. Mostly because all of the enemies are suddenly acting before even my fastest party members. Lots of hoping *someone* survives to use a full party revive. :< This ring true to anyone else or am I just playing like crap?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Well maybe you should try anyways

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Been playing Urtuk all day and the game feels good. I’m still in the first zone but it just leaves me craving more everytime I step away. Does it change much or is it kinda like darkest dungeon where it’s basically this, forever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

10 Reasons Why Chrono Cross Is A True Classic

I agree with most of these. Hard disagree on villains - everything with Lynx is a mess and the only other villains are the Dragons which is cool but it's also the last 2% of the game so....

Cast of diverse characters...half agree, half disagree. It's fun choosing who to play and the animation and camera in battle are phenomenal. But they really do ruin the mood in a lot of moments, to say nothing of how characters will say he same thing in a situation even if it totally clashes with their personality and what their characters would actually say.

But ya know, my favorite battle system in JRPGs, one of the best soundtracks ever in video games, and a gorgeous, unforgettable visual design is definitely enough to make a game a classic, whatever my gripes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I finished NEO Twewy and hoo boy that ending man. I get that you've gotta change stuff for the shift from 2D to 3D but man by the last week basically all I was using was some kind of bullet pin, being in people's faces just stops being as viable, even though I really liked the spear and sword pins.

The characters were all fun, no one aside from Rindo was bland but the game itself was aware that he was kind of a flake too and that was actually part of his character that they addressed so I can't fault them there. They also started doing cool poo poo with his power in the last week too so I can't complain. I do wonder if they're planning on making another game in 17 years with how the might somewhat have set that up if they wanted to pursue it in the future.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I am replaying Xenogears for the first time in like 20 years.
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1477626794954326016?s=20

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Barudak posted:

Someone got that excerpt from the math textbook about Ted being better known for work in other fields

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Is it worth looking into Ni No Kuni or Ni No Kuni 2? They're on discount on the steam store and part of me is tempted.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
do you like level 5 games

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Ni No Kuni 2 is a solid okay game, it certainly has the typical Level-5 problems where the game outlasts the gameplay, but I enjoyed it enough to finish it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NnK1 is actively painful to play, NnK2 is okay but has 10 hours of content in a 40 hour game and the single interesting story aspect from the intro completely disappears until just before the credits.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

Is it worth looking into Ni No Kuni or Ni No Kuni 2? They're on discount on the steam store and part of me is tempted.

I would not recommend NiNoKuni2. It feels like a very budget and unfinished DQ clone. It also completely drops its monster taming gimmick of the first game for some reason.

NiNoKuni 1 starts off kinda strong but meanders and loses its charm and strength by the middle and despite being a monster catching game you have no way to catch monsters other than it randomly liking you after the battle. There's not a meat option like in DQM, no talk option like SMT, no Pokeballs.

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 3, 2022

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Anything level-5 touches magically becomes too long. The president has said he considers a full rpg to be 100 hours long, which you can see in games they’ve touched that aren’t even theirs like how he made the level-5 collab in FF14 take 100 hours to complete.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I guess I'm in a minority but I found NNK 1 absolutely delightful.
NNK 2 was serviceable but forgettable. A real 5/10 game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If you play NNK1 on a platform where you can cheat to make your allies have infinite MP it's a lot better, otherwise they will either a) blow all their expensive as gently caress resources on slimes or/then b) be more than useless

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or just stand in pools of lava and die anyway

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Umm Dark Cloud 2 is a Level 5 game and it’s not…

Nevermind, yes it is. Carry on.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i have to know how you would have finished that sentence because dark could 2 is possibly the most level-5 game to ever level-5

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dungeon golf

Dolf....

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
paper mario capping you at 30 bp is tyranny

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Looper posted:

paper mario capping you at 30 bp is tyranny

Now THAT is a crossover I'd want to see.

The war is over, and Bowser has won. The entire world is now at peace under the new Overlord's iron fist. Well, almost the entire world. A small peninsula, known as the Mushroom Kingdom, is the last province that refuses the rule of the Overlord. Having grown angry with the failure of his forces to take it over, Bowser sends you, Fatebinder Mario, to carry his Edict to the armies of Roy Koopa's elite Shellfavoured and Iggy Koopa's barbaric hordes of the Shelled Chorus. Will you bring Bowser's Peace to the Mushroom Kingdom? Betray the Overlord and side with the Peach Rebels? Or something else entirely? What power is hidden in the 8 Castles spread across the kingdom?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ChrisBTY posted:

I guess I'm in a minority but I found NNK 1 absolutely delightful.
NNK 2 was serviceable but forgettable. A real 5/10 game.
This is where I am with NNK too. I really like the soundtracks too. They're certainly not the most respectful of your time games though and the story in 2 was stupid enough to be neither funny nor charming. I still wonder about going back to NNK 2 though since it got some patches, including a difficulty patch, since the gameplay seemed like it could've been onto something.

One other thing I liked about the games is that they're quite polished from what I remember.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

FishMcCool posted:

Now THAT is a crossover I'd want to see.

The war is over, and Bowser has won. The entire world is now at peace under the new Overlord's iron fist. Well, almost the entire world. A small peninsula, known as the Mushroom Kingdom, is the last province that refuses the rule of the Overlord. Having grown angry with the failure of his forces to take it over, Bowser sends you, Fatebinder Mario, to carry his Edict to the armies of Roy Koopa's elite Shellfavoured and Iggy Koopa's barbaric hordes of the Shelled Chorus. Will you bring Bowser's Peace to the Mushroom Kingdom? Betray the Overlord and side with the Peach Rebels? Or something else entirely? What power is hidden in the 8 Castles spread across the kingdom?

I'd pre-order this day 1 even it was the shadiest Kickstarter ever.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
playing dark cloud 2 after years of hearing people speak of it so positively and then just being annoyed with how everything plays in it was an eye opening experience for me

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tbh i like the first game better

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

starting EO5 and it's like putting on a new pair of the same comfy sock brand i've always worn

already mapping and harvesting and battlin and allocating skill points. it's all happening!!

i'm going with pugilist, samurai (i forget the specific class name), warlock, hunter, and shaman. it's gonna be a little tricky without a straight up heal spell and needing to do it through a prayer perk, so i'll have to buy more medicine to start off, but i think it'll be pretty cool once everyone levels up a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Are you going with Dog Rover or Bird Rover?

When I played my healing was entirely Dog Rover and Divine Herald Shaman, and the combined healing of both of those classes ended up being just enough that my medicines were for emergencies rather than a primary source of healing. Plus, Shaman has a ton of utility and Dog Rover can still throw out a bunch of damage.

...Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever ran a pure healing class in Etrian Odyssey. They just seem so boring in comparison, and usually there's an alternative that's also pretty good at support/damage.