Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
why are you playing an RPG if you don’t care about reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oxxidation posted:

why are you playing an RPG if you don’t care about reading

I like video games. Why would you play an RPG if all you care about is reading? Just read a book instead.

I like reading, I hate complaints that go off when a game isn't 100% voice-acted. But this is like the slideshow at the last CD of Xenogears: all text, no game.

Even text-based games have game mechanics in them.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I will say that I have quit games before for having too much text

Pillars of Eternity was giving me eye-strain

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

loquacius posted:

I will say that I have quit games before for having too much text

Pillars of Eternity was giving me eye-strain

PoE gets a *lot* better once you grasp that the gold-plate NPCs are completely irrelevant and that their dialogues/visions are just backer fanfic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Too much exposition is kind of a universal problem across game writing, probably owing a whole lot to the unique ways in which games are developed compared to other forms of narrative media. It's not even the abundance of text so much as how little of it serves a narrative purpose other than explaining things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
which, crucially, is not the case with LO’s interludes

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Lost Odyssey is fantastic and everyone should play it. The Thousand Years of Dreams are amazing; that the writing can feel incongruous is a fault of the in-game writing, not the stories themselves. The actual story is probably Lost Odyssey's weakest element, but it's not that bad. If nothing else, it gets points for having a comedic relief character who is actually funny.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Morpheus posted:

Everyone loves those little stories in Lost Odyssey, but I always disliked them. Not because they were boring or poorly written or anything, they were just incredibly incongruous with the rest of the game.

:psypop:

I think you missed the entire point of Lost Odyssey's story.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Monica drew the short straw in Dark Cloud 2. Her sword upgrade tree is a mess, and the party member who gives a bonus XP to her sub-weapon is only available temporarily. She can't go golfing, fishing, or photographing I think?

Max gets a cool robot he can upgrade piece-by-piece like a ship of Theseus. Monica gets the superpower to... turn into one of the many trash monsters you've defeated along the way.

It was also weird how the Dr. character is an anthromorphic duck, who sounds completely normal. He doesn't have a speech impediment or a scottish accent or anything.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Monica looked less dumb than Max but he was definitely mechanically superior

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The monsters would probably be fine if they actually gained a decent amount of stats on level up, but instead they get like...1/3rd of a point of attack each level.

You basically use them when there's a medal that forces you to.

Or hell, if your transformable monsters were the enemies you needed the ridepod to defeat, instead of like...rats, flowers and frogs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the interludes in lost odyssey being disconnected and text-only is the best way to present them even if they had all the money and time in the world. the protag's so old and ancient that these memories, which should be fresh in his mind, feel to him like he's reading someone else's story, like he didn't actually live them. nobody's meant to live as long as he has, the people he loved and the moments he cherished are emotionally distant to him now, the way you might feel about an argument you had in high school if you recalled it when you were 90. the text-only presentation gets this across.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
short vn stuff is present in all kinds of games cause it wouldn't make sense to present it in other ways. nier does it, friggin final fantasy tactics had them as hidden side stories in the japanese version

it's not really comparable to exposition either if it's, just straight-up text-based storytelling. like the xenogears stuff isn't exposition that's just "this is the only way we could fit these chunks of the story in at all cause we were falling behind our deadlines"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
consensus here on Scarlet Nexus? A couple hours in via PC Game Pass and the combat is pretty drat fun, though I'm not sure yet if there's going to be enough variety to sustain my interest for 25-30 hours.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Combat is fun but there's not enough to sustain interest for 25-30 hours.

Also the worst side quests I have ever experienced in a game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

consensus here on Scarlet Nexus? A couple hours in via PC Game Pass and the combat is pretty drat fun, though I'm not sure yet if there's going to be enough variety to sustain my interest for 25-30 hours.
i think you should keep playing until you no longer feel interested in doing so and then stop

revolutionary concept, i know

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I found Scarlet Nexus fun enough and I’m like… 85% through the dude’s story but man, splitting up the routes was a gigantic mistake. Plus, the little character events can be excruciating unless it’s a character you already like (especially when the roster literally doubles in size).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Amppelix posted:

i think you should keep playing until you no longer feel interested in doing so and then stop

revolutionary concept, i know

that was already my plan, I'm certainly not going to force myself to finish a game if I find it overstays its welcome too much, just curious what folks here thought

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

that was already my plan, I'm certainly not going to force myself to finish a game if I find it overstays its welcome too much, just curious what folks here thought

I don't know how sincere the other poster was being, but I legitimately think it's good advice. For me basically the game was fun until it wasn't, but I kept playing after that just to finish, and it 100% wasn't worth it. A lot of people seem to have liked it more than I did, but to me it's a perfect game for game pass where it's fun to play for a while but wouldn't be worth buying.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Barry Convex posted:

very medium

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The combat never really evolved into something interesting and I quit playing despite the story having a bunch of unresolved twists where I was. Apparently all the actual explanations for thing are in the girls route so as ever Barudak chooses wrong at character select.

It was a good game pass title in so far as I'd never buy it and didn't finish it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it turns out the "I know everything but refuse to tell you, and instead just attack you on sight" plot beat isn't any better from the perspective of the person who knows things

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'd recommend Code Vein over Scarlet Nexus in both terms of gameplay and overall charm.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Barudak posted:

The combat never really evolved into something interesting and I quit playing despite the story having a bunch of unresolved twists where I was. Apparently all the actual explanations for thing are in the girls route so as ever Barudak chooses wrong at character select.

It was a good game pass title in so far as I'd never buy it and didn't finish it

You eventually get all the explanations either way, they're just presented in a rather dry way as expository dialog. TBH this makes having two routes even more pointless since you don't really gain anything from replaying it on the other side.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked the combat a lot more after you got the ability to use two ally abilities at the same time. Should have unlocked about a dozen hours earlier imo

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I don't know how sincere the other poster was being, but I legitimately think it's good advice. For me basically the game was fun until it wasn't, but I kept playing after that just to finish, and it 100% wasn't worth it. A lot of people seem to have liked it more than I did, but to me it's a perfect game for game pass where it's fun to play for a while but wouldn't be worth buying.
i'm serious, pushing yourself to finish games you're no longer really interested in because of some notion that you haven't "really" experienced a game if you haven't finished it or completionism or something like that is significantly harmful to enjoyment

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i enjoy games more when i finish them, even if i dont particularly like the game. im mentally healthy and my parents love me. i am not particularly worried about global warming. I’m 33 years old, and I am not married. I get home every day by 8 PM at the latest. I don’t smoke, but I occasionally drink. I’m in bed by 11 PM, and make sure I get eight hours of sleep, no matter what. After having a glass of warm milk and doing about twenty minutes of stretches before going to bed, I usually have no problems sleeping until morning. Just like a baby, I wake up without any fatigue or stress in the morning.

I was told there were no issues at my last check-up. I’m trying to explain that I’m a person who wishes to live a very quiet life. I take care not to trouble myself with any enemies, like winning and losing, that would cause me to lose sleep at night. That is how I deal with society, and I know that is what brings me happiness. Although, if I were to fight I wouldn’t lose to anyone.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ok endorph i didn't say "significantly harmful to your psyche and way of life"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

ok endorph i didn't say "significantly harmful to your psyche and way of life"
its a jojo joke

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

i enjoy games more when i finish them, even if i dont particularly like the game. im mentally healthy and my parents love me. i am not particularly worried about global warming. I’m 33 years old, and I am not married. I get home every day by 8 PM at the latest. I don’t smoke, but I occasionally drink. I’m in bed by 11 PM, and make sure I get eight hours of sleep, no matter what. After having a glass of warm milk and doing about twenty minutes of stretches before going to bed, I usually have no problems sleeping until morning. Just like a baby, I wake up without any fatigue or stress in the morning.

I was told there were no issues at my last check-up. I’m trying to explain that I’m a person who wishes to live a very quiet life. I take care not to trouble myself with any enemies, like winning and losing, that would cause me to lose sleep at night. That is how I deal with society, and I know that is what brings me happiness. Although, if I were to fight I wouldn’t lose to anyone.

If you post like this at the slightest non-provocation of someone saying "Forcing yourself to finish a game you're already not liking probably will negatively effect the level of enjoyment" I'm not sure about the mentally healthy bit.

EDIT: Legit hard to tell sometimes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe people can't recognize Kira dialogue in the RPG thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tough crowd

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't even watch Jojo and I recognized it

Would also recognize "how many times have you eaten bread" if you want to make a joke around that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Is there a Yakitate RPG

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'd recommend Code Vein over Scarlet Nexus in both terms of gameplay and overall charm.

Honestly, hard agree.

Scarlet Nexus has a cool setting and an okay-if-barebones baseline combat system, but offers you basically nothing to spice that combat system up at all or add any form of variety for the entire runtime of the game beyond the ally assists, which are fun and add some meat but don't really change things up at all.

I was actually flabbergasted when I found out you didn't get to actually play as the other party members because Yuito and Kasane's movesets and combat options are so basic and thin that I was 100% sure they were that way because there would be multiple playable characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Is there a Yakitate RPG
thres a yakitate japan game but its a mario party clone, only you do cooking mama minigames between turns. sort of a fun concept but i remember it being pretty bland

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I was laughing at the first half cause "this sounds like Yoshikage Kira" then I saw the phrase "a quiet life" and realized "oh it's literally just his speech"

Anyway make a Yakuza like game with Josuke and Morioh.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

tough crowd

I laughed, if it makes you feel better

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I want Ichiban and Yagami to meet at some point. I feel like there'd be comedy gold in them interacting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you post like this at the slightest non-provocation of someone saying "Forcing yourself to finish a game you're already not liking probably will negatively effect the level of enjoyment" I'm not sure about the mentally healthy bit.

EDIT: Legit hard to tell sometimes.

lol no not really