Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

Crasscrab posted:

Pretty sure there weren't as many bombs involved as there were guns, grenades, and RPGs... Also I didn't realize they had Starbucks in Libya. :v:

Ever since the regime change opened up the country to American business interests they have been enjoying a number of American freedom institutions like Starbucks, Cinnabon etc :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

"Welcome to the first day of math class. Before we begin, I'd like to address all of the boys in this room. Now that you're 14 years old and your hormones are completely raging, have you ever noticed a funny feeling you get when you see girls wearing very short shorts, especially if they're very tight and accentuate the buttocks? You should be ashamed of this feeling, and never admit that you feel this way. Now, onto trigonometry..."

PepeSilvia fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 10, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PepeSilvia posted:

"Welcome to the first day of math class. Before we begin, I'd like to address all of the boys in this room. Now that you're 14 years old and your hormones are completely raging, have you ever noticed a funny feeling you get when you see girls wearing very short shorts, especially if they're very tight and accentuate the buttocks? You should be ashamed of this feeling, and never admit that you feel this way. Now, onto trigonometry..."

I went to a Christian middle school, and some of the girls wore really short shorts during the summer. They got in trouble for it, naturally, and I being 12 and not really getting what the big deal was, said I thought it was stupid. Another teacher over heard me and made me go apologize to the teacher who got the girls in trouble. I get that back in the 40's or whatever that "gams" were highly sexualized but it seems that in modern times a woman's legs just aren't seen as sexualized as other areas. That's why it's kind of funny to me that Fox makes a huge deal of showing off it's female anchors legs, just shows how old and out of mainstream social thought they are.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9VMY8X9rU8

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uUiCL3QzpU

Atom and His Package posted:

I like sports
There are some things I force myself to miss
like I never met an athlete I like and hockey in Texas
when it comes to native American nickname teams
Even within the context of sports it's awful and mean

and you'll go wah wah wah you're so PC
and i will say hey wait my my my how have the table turns
to be a loving prick is a desirable trait

While we're on the subject of changing team names
there's no jazz in Utah and few lakes in LA j
ust this once give me the benefit of the doubt
the bullets became the wizards to pilots get out

and you'll go wa wa wa you're so PC
and i will say hey wait remind me again
how it came to be that being a stupid american is a desirable trait

wouldn't it be offensive if we cheered "rah rah rah" we're the Carolina negroes
with a beat box cheer and a big foam afro
the Minnesota Vikings became the New York kikes
with dollar bills on their helmets cause thats what they're like ya know

Atom, What about the Saints, Angels and the Padres too
ain't that the same thing for Christians thats offending you?
When there's a jesus Christ mascot shooting crucifixes
they nailed to a cross dying to save the team you'll be right, you'll be right
but until then you're... not... right

so what's your take on Washington redskins
what's your take on the Cleveland Indians
what's your take on Washington redskins
what's your take on the Cleveland Indians

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lancemantis posted:

That guy

You tell that teacher, angry long hair kid

What am I looking at here? Context is always nice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crasscrab posted:

What am I looking at here? Context is always nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iflIOklflrg

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

PepeSilvia posted:

Boys are going to be seeing a lot of attractive women and the outlines of their body parts in their lives and they should probably be taught it is in fact their job to be able to not think about sex for 10 minutes vs telling women to cover up which has been the norm for 4,000 years.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Pobama posted:

When I saw this picture, I thought to myself "no, there is no loving way, the non-parody of this is the cover of TIME" but I just had to go and check.

gently caress you TIME, gently caress you, you filthy miserable rag. You dead husk of journalism, you worthless scratchy assemblage of low grade poo poo paper.

This, from the same magazine that gave us this:

But no matter. In the interests of "Grand Bargains" or some such poo poo they have marching orders to turn the politically-awakening millennials against their baby-boomer parents and vice-versa. Instead of against the microscopic pool of millennials, X-ers and boomers that hosed over everybody else, regardless of age.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Was that Mitch Hedberg pretending to be a high school student? The voice was dead on. The teacher in that video seems to be worthless, but I wouldn't want to make a judgement on this video alone.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

zeroprime posted:

Someone was diverting streams in Oregon to fill up ponds/lakes on his property, leaving the streams either dry or only at a small % of normal capacity downstream. Due to the media being complete and utter poo poo, headlines such as "Man jailed for collecting rainwater" have led people to believe this is a case of government regulations gone mad, when the reality is that conserving water with rain-barrels is encouraged and building fuckoff huge dams across jurisdictional waterways is understandably very illegal.

You should read this for more info.

:nws: for ballgag

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Spooooooooorts!

http://deadspin.com/infographic-is-your-states-highest-paid-employee-a-co-489635228

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who should be the highest paid public employee?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

zoux posted:

Who should be the highest paid public employee?

This guy, of course!

John Calipari, coach of the UK Wildcats Men's Basketball team. This is his house.

(more pictures http://www.faniq.com/blog/John-Caliparis-New-House-In-Lexington-Kentucky-Blog-22772)

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Amused to Death posted:

Boys are going to be seeing a lot of attractive women and the outlines of their body parts in their lives and they should probably be taught it is in fact their job to be able to not think about sex for 10 minutes vs telling women to cover up which has been the norm for 4,000 years.

Trying to shame pubescent teens into not thinking about sex is different from teaching them to treat everybody like human beings deserving of respect.

People can think about sex. Sex and attraction are not necessarily derogatory. It's how people can act on them that is.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

zeroprime posted:

Someone was diverting streams in Oregon to fill up ponds/lakes on his property, leaving the streams either dry or only at a small % of normal capacity downstream. Due to the media being complete and utter poo poo, headlines such as "Man jailed for collecting rainwater" have led people to believe this is a case of government regulations gone mad, when the reality is that conserving water with rain-barrels is encouraged and building fuckoff huge dams across jurisdictional waterways is understandably very illegal.

You should read this for more info.

No, actually, it is illegal to collect rainwater in a lot of places because of local water rights. For instance it's illegal to collect rainwater in Aurora, CO because the rainwater belongs to the city of Denver, CO according to the water rights from a hundred years ago. Aurora has to wait for the water to fall onto its ground and naturally collect in basins and then buy it from Denver.

Water rights are a big loving deal and will only become more important as populations grow and water sources dry up. 100 years ago water flowed easily into the plains and farmers never worried, now there are millions of people along the way from the mountains to the plains using the water and the farms are running dry. Fortunately for the farmers, they owned the water rights first so they get first dibs, even on the water that falls onto your property.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Disney has updated Pixar's Merida character to be skinnier, paler, and bustier. They gave her a lower-cut dress and took away her bow and arrows in favor of a glamorous belt.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If I'm reading this correctly, is it claiming that Calgarians, Vancouverites, and Torontonians sound the same? The vowels are similar but this chart doesn't take into account rhythm at all, which is a very distinct feature of Canadian Prairie speech.

Protestors outside the White House last month.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

NathanScottPhillips posted:

No, actually, it is illegal to collect rainwater in a lot of places because of local water rights. For instance it's illegal to collect rainwater in Aurora, CO because the rainwater belongs to the city of Denver, CO according to the water rights from a hundred years ago. Aurora has to wait for the water to fall onto its ground and naturally collect in basins and then buy it from Denver.

Water rights are a big loving deal and will only become more important as populations grow and water sources dry up. 100 years ago water flowed easily into the plains and farmers never worried, now there are millions of people along the way from the mountains to the plains using the water and the farms are running dry. Fortunately for the farmers, they owned the water rights first so they get first dibs, even on the water that falls onto your property.
Huh. Didn't think about it like that, makes sense in the old "Water is communal property" kinda way.

withak posted:

Disney has updated Pixar's Merida character to be skinnier, paler, and bustier. They gave her a lower-cut dress and took away her bow and arrows in favor of a glamorous belt.
The cut of the dress is nigh identical, but the belt and the pattern are more ostentatious, yes. It isn't quite as bad in context but honestly, if you were expecting something positive from Disney proper I don't really know what to say. And I'd say a lot of it would just be the transition from the animated semi-realistic style to the classical Disney one.

Here's a pic with the other ones beside her. I especially like that the only ones not wearing the "Princess" style dresses are Mulan, Jasmine and Pocahontas which are kept to the sides and back. Though if you were expecting something without regressive gender politics from Disney proper I don't really know what to tell you.

Came here to deliver different types of awful though:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The website itself seems to have nothing to do with Iceland.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

The website itself seems to have nothing to do with Iceland.
Where do you find this poo poo? I can't imagine a place where putting that wouldn't get you yelled at. :psyduck:

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

PepeSilvia posted:

Tell us more about the evils of political correctness and the death of manhood in America.

SlipUp posted:

Trying to shame pubescent teens into not thinking about sex is different from teaching them to treat everybody like human beings deserving of respect.

People can think about sex. Sex and attraction are not necessarily derogatory. It's how people can act on them that is.

That's a very liberal interpretation of the poster itself. I don't see where it's shaming individuals who think about sex. It's definitely saying that a woman's body is something greater than the sum of its sexual attributes, but saying people shouldn't "over sexualize normal body parts" is a critique of the sentiment illustrated in the lines _right above it_, the ones about shaming girls for their choice of clothing.

Confrontation erupts in Israel between ultra-Orthodox men and uniformed police sent to protect a group of 100 women, near the Western Wall. The disturbance came about after a court ruled last month that women should be allowed to wear prayer shawls and sing aloud at the wall.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Angry Boat posted:

That's a very liberal interpretation of the poster itself. I don't see where it's shaming individuals who think about sex. It's definitely saying that a woman's body is something greater than the sum of its sexual attributes, but saying people shouldn't "over sexualize normal body parts" is a critique of the sentiment illustrated in the lines _right above it_, the ones about shaming girls for their choice of clothing.

To begin, I have no issue with the first part regarding slut shaming, and I feel that abides with my previous post regarding how people act on their sexual attraction. My issue is regarding the term "over-sexualize". What is the difference between sexualizing and over sexualizing? How do you teach people the appriopriate level of sexuality? Furthermore, I disagreed with the poster that people "shouldn't think about sex". Is thinking about sex "over-sexualizing"?

Ultimately my issue is that puritan values demonizing sexuality as a whole have become conflated with feminist ideals of gender equality especially in North America.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Pobama posted:

When I saw this picture, I thought to myself "no, there is no loving way, the non-parody of this is the cover of TIME" but I just had to go and check.

gently caress you TIME, gently caress you, you filthy miserable rag. You dead husk of journalism, you worthless scratchy assemblage of low grade poo poo paper.

I was curious how my apparently worthless generation is going to save everyone, but I can't read it unless I pay to subscribe. That feels like an even bigger gently caress you to millenials on top of the article itself.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

SlipUp posted:

How do you teach people the appriopriate level of sexuality? Furthermore, I disagreed with the poster that people "shouldn't think about sex". Is thinking about sex "over-sexualizing"?

The content of that letter was it was either a school assembly was called just for the girls or an announcement was made over the PA(i forget which, but it doesn't really matter which it was) that said the girls need to cover up more in how they dress at school because it was distracting to some of the boys and the men. It's bullshit, considering girls in high school aren't showing up to class in nothing their best lingerie or something, it comes down to the fact men can't stop sexualizing women for 5 minutes(not literally 5 minutes, but both students and teachers seem not to be able to stop doing it even in a school) so instead they need to slut shame them. It's not like its an isolated incident
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/05/06/1969001/slut-shaming-dress-codes/

Also the Merida thing seems like good as any a time to post this again

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Amused to Death posted:

The content of that letter was it was either a school assembly was called just for the girls or an announcement was made over the PA(i forget which, but it doesn't really matter which it was) that said the girls need to cover up more in how they dress at school because it was distracting to some of the boys and the men. It's bullshit, considering girls in high school aren't showing up to class in nothing their best lingerie or something, it comes down to the fact men can't stop sexualizing women for 5 minutes(not literally 5 minutes, but both students and teachers seem not to be able to stop doing it even in a school) so instead they need to slut shame them. It's not like its an isolated incident
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/05/06/1969001/slut-shaming-dress-codes/

I agree with you regarding slut shaming and specifically outlined my objections, so you're only preaching to the choir on that issue. With you I'm specifically taking issue that you believe people need to not think about sex at all which ties back to the idea of conflating puritan values with gender equality. I alluded to this, then overtly said it and yet you conveniently ignored it completely when making your response. Just thinking about sex is not slut shaming.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 11, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

I would argue that Ariel not speaking is extremely problematic for her as everyone thinks she's a moron and it greatly hinders her quest to get laid.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0U-XQwlEEU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Being a moron was kinda Ariel's thing. Every time the plot advanced, it was because Ariel was a dumbfuck.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Disney tried to trademark the Mexican Day of the Dead until people were like, "What the gently caress?!"

https://www.change.org/petitions/walt-disney-company-stop-trademark-of-dia-de-los-muertos

]

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

PepeSilvia posted:

My high school's dress code existed more or less to tell girls to cover-up and stop dressing like whores. Boys could wear basically whatever they wanted without repercussions.

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Sunbelters are going to learn that being cold a few months of the year beats the hell out of dying of thirst.

:smug: 21% of the world's surface fresh water, literally all around me.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
A fellow Michigoon, hello from Holland where I am surrounded by fresh water and republicans.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Guatemala's former dictator, Rios Montt, is found guilty of the genocide of nearly 1800 indigenous Mayans. He was sentenced to 80 years in prison.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
On 5 December 1982, Ronald Reagan met the Guatemalan president, Efraín Ríos Montt, in Honduras. It was a useful meeting for Reagan. ‘Well, I learned a lot,’ he told reporters on Air Force One. ‘You’d be surprised. They’re all individual countries.’ It was also a useful meeting for Ríos Montt. Reagan declared him ‘a man of great personal integrity . . . totally dedicated to democracy’, and claimed that the Guatemalan strongman was getting ‘a bum rap’ from human rights organisations for his military’s campaign against leftist guerrillas. The next day, one of Guatemala’s elite platoons entered a jungle village called Las Dos Erres and killed 162 of its inhabitants, 67 of them children. Soldiers grabbed babies and toddlers by their legs, swung them in the air, and smashed their heads against a wall. Older children and adults were forced to kneel at the edge of a well, where a single blow from a sledgehammer sent them plummeting below. The platoon then raped a selection of women and girls it had saved for last, pummelling their stomachs in order to force the pregnant among them to miscarry. They tossed the women into the well and filled it with dirt, burying an unlucky few alive. The only traces of the bodies later visitors would find were blood on the walls and placentas and umbilical cords on the ground.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Joementum posted:

On 5 December 1982, Ronald Reagan met the Guatemalan president, Efraín Ríos Montt, in Honduras. It was a useful meeting for Reagan. ‘Well, I learned a lot,’ he told reporters on Air Force One. ‘You’d be surprised. They’re all individual countries.’ It was also a useful meeting for Ríos Montt. Reagan declared him ‘a man of great personal integrity . . . totally dedicated to democracy’, and claimed that the Guatemalan strongman was getting ‘a bum rap’ from human rights organisations for his military’s campaign against leftist guerrillas. The next day, one of Guatemala’s elite platoons entered a jungle village called Las Dos Erres and killed 162 of its inhabitants, 67 of them children. Soldiers grabbed babies and toddlers by their legs, swung them in the air, and smashed their heads against a wall. Older children and adults were forced to kneel at the edge of a well, where a single blow from a sledgehammer sent them plummeting below. The platoon then raped a selection of women and girls it had saved for last, pummelling their stomachs in order to force the pregnant among them to miscarry. They tossed the women into the well and filled it with dirt, burying an unlucky few alive. The only traces of the bodies later visitors would find were blood on the walls and placentas and umbilical cords on the ground.

This is the most horrible thing I've ever read. Just another reason to salt the earth over Reagan's grave

The car in which artist N. C. Wyeth and his grandson were killed, 1945. N. C.'s son, Andrew, was forever affected by his father's death, and would later go on to be a major donor to Reagan's 1980 campaign. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

There's a really good episode of This American Life about the Dos Erres Massacre.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ChipNDip posted:

My high school's dress code existed more or less to tell girls to cover-up and stop dressing like whores. Boys could wear basically whatever they wanted without repercussions.

Sunbelters are going to learn that being cold a few months of the year beats the hell out of dying of thirst.

:smug: 21% of the world's surface fresh water, literally all around me.

Counterpoint: gently caress you, Got yours. (I drink your milkshake, slluuuurrrrp!)
Thanks for the imminent Mississippi River-Arizona water pipeline, big government collectivist thugs. Score another one for freedom.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

agarjogger posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress you, Got yours. (I drink your milkshake, slluuuurrrrp!)
Thanks for the imminent Mississippi River-Arizona water pipeline, big government collectivist thugs. Score another one for freedom.

Isn't that completely infeasible due to the massive energy requirements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SlipUp posted:

To begin, I have no issue with the first part regarding slut shaming, and I feel that abides with my previous post regarding how people act on their sexual attraction. My issue is regarding the term "over-sexualize". What is the difference between sexualizing and over sexualizing? How do you teach people the appriopriate level of sexuality? Furthermore, I disagreed with the poster that people "shouldn't think about sex". Is thinking about sex "over-sexualizing"?

Ultimately my issue is that puritan values demonizing sexuality as a whole have become conflated with feminist ideals of gender equality especially in North America.

Totally agreeing with this, puritanism =/= gender equality. I can think a woman has nice legs and also respect her as a person.

• Locked thread