Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

El-Bonko posted:

I swear I've seen this in some segment. Arino was scolded by Kibe (or possibly an AD) for pushing the buttons himself instead of using the robot. I didn't dream this, did I?

No, it's in a Project CX segment during Battletoads (episode 133). Takahashi broke several R.O.B.s in the testing process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
edit: Posted a thing in the wrong thread. :doh:

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 8, 2013

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

GidgetNomates posted:

Wait wait wait there's a KQ5 dub...

...does...does that mean there's a KQ6 dub???

I'm not gonna get my hopes up but man I love that game...

Doesn't look like it. However, Phantasmagoria was released for the Sega Saturn with a full japanese dub, which is pretty amazing. It came on 8 CDs.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
If anyone else is going to PAX East this year, there's a couple interesting retro arcade panels that sound worth checking out. Here's a link with the details: http://www.classicarcademuseum.org/paxeast.htm

I'll be there and sporting my GCCX pins, thanks to Chococat.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man, so looking forward to that Disney game. I just hope it isn't Mousecapades, because aside from that, Capcom's Disney lineup is probably the single finest array of licensed games ever made. Both Magical quest and SNES Aladdin are some of my favourite platformers ever. Though I'd definitely love to see Ducktales as well :allears:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

What? That's two separate characters on the cake. :v:

Unless I'm missing some kind of joke, it definitely says "Matsui-kun" with the right spelling on the cake.

There is one time, however, when the cake shop screwed up the spelling for sure.

Happy birthday, Hatayama!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Unless I'm missing some kind of joke, it definitely says "Matsui-kun" with the right spelling on the cake.

Yeah, I missed him at first glance and then joked around a lot.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
My business cards finally came in

One step closer to completing the authenticity of the character

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

xamphear posted:

I'll be there and sporting my GCCX pins, thanks to Chococat.

I'll be there too. Already got the pins lined up on the messenger bag I bring to PAX.

Also, I don't remember it being brought up in this thread but there's a new Umihara Kawase game coming to 3DS.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Arino may be the puzzle chief, but can he think tactically? He'll have to be perfect if he's going to complete the challenge of Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem.

This HD episode is brought to you by zari-gani, who is secretly the person who got Marth put into Smash Brothers.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 778.42 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Random Stranger posted:

Arino may be the puzzle chief, but can he think tactically? He'll have to be perfect if he's going to complete the challenge of Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem.

This HD episode is brought to you by zari-gani, who is secretly the person who got Marth put into Smash Brothers.

View torrent stats

Direct Download

Woo Fire Emblem, thanks!

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

View torrent stats

Direct Download

Woo hoo finally the fire emblem episode

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

View torrent stats

Direct Download

Is this the Fire Emblem he plays on the Wii VC or WiiU VC. If it is the WiiU one, Is it only Part one or is it both Parts shown so far.

Edit: It is indeed the WiiU VC special from not to long ago. Both parts have been subbed.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 9, 2013

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

joek0 posted:

Is this the Fire Emblem he plays on the Wii VC or WiiU VC. If it is the WiiU one, Is it only Part one or is it both Parts shown so far.

I Think it's the Wii U version since the episode is in HD

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I didn't watch any episode of him playing this on the SFC, but it was a fun episode! I could never get into Fire Emblem enough to make it very far, but a lot better to watch. Chapter 3 was hilarious.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Even though I'm not a big fan of the series (mostly because I suck at strategy-centric games :shobon:), that was really fun to watch Arino play Fire Emblem. Thank you again, SAGCCX! :)

Also, I was amazed at how Arino totally lucked out at the end with that last enemy unit almost killing Navarre.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
What's the status on these Nintendo Channel episodes? Are there rips/raws for all of them floating around? Is it just a matter of translating them, or are they hard to find?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

xamphear posted:

What's the status on these Nintendo Channel episodes? Are there rips/raws for all of them floating around? Is it just a matter of translating them, or are they hard to find?

Yes, there's raw source files available for all of them. The ones on the Wii don't exactly look pretty since they were designed to be streamed to that console. Most of the multipart ones have been combined into single challenges so that's what we did with Fire Emblem.

A few of them are very short so we like to hang on to those for when we're approached by a potential new translator. They can try their hand at a much short, easier version before trying to dive into a a full hour episode (well, 58 minutes at least).

Off the top of my head, Mega Man 9, Super Mario Brothers, Super Metroid, and the second Fire Emblem challenges, are the multipart Nintendo Channel challenges. The Kirby's were obviously linked but separate challenges and the first Balloon Fight video they produced was technically an Iwata Asks featurette though still produced by Gascoin.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Only on the first battle and already Arino is using Jegan :cripes:

Is Caeda the same character as Sheeda from the first Fire Emblem? I only really played the NES ones.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redmercer posted:

Is Caeda the same character as Sheeda from the first Fire Emblem? I only really played the NES ones.

It's very possible. The first book of Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem is a remake of the first NES game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

redmercer posted:

If he's never played a Fire Emblem, you can't really expect him to know about that. Plus it makes total sense to use him since the challenge was only to beat an early chapter. If he had to beat the whole game he would've ran into trouble because of it though.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

redmercer posted:

Yes, it's the same character. Caeda is the official NoA translation, Sheeda is the fan translation, NoE calls her Shiida in the European version. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to pronounce the "Cae" in Caeda as you do in Caesar, so it's basically the same name with three different romanizations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ojetor posted:

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to pronounce the "Cae" in Caeda as you do in Caesar, so it's basically the same name with three different romanizations.

What, you mean with a hard K like ˈkaj.sar? :v:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

KimT posted:

If he's never played a Fire Emblem, you can't really expect him to know about that.

But he did play this before!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACID POLICE posted:

But he did play this before!

Arino doesn't remember games he played two days before, let alone many months.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
You leave for a couple weeks and you come back to a giant pile of great episodes. Jeez, what are you good for, SA?

Joctan posted:

I was not talking about GCCX episodes. I was talking about the famicom 30th anniversary special. For the wii U we get a game at a special price of 30 cents for 30 days for each month until the famicom anniversary, the lineup games for the US and japan are almost the same, except instead of fire emblem and mother 2 we get punch out and F-zero. So this means again that we will never see another mother/earthbound game released in the US.

My mistake! And now I'm depressed.

Katana Gomai posted:

Does anyone know of a website that has high quality scans of Japanese game flyers? "Catch a catch copy" features some really cool artwork sometimes (the Mother 1 flyer is amazing) and I'd love to have some of those on my wall. I can't find much in the English speaking web, are there any Japanese websites that focus on something like this?

It just so happens I actually have the flyer on my wall! It's in pretty good condition for a fourth-hand paper flyer handed out 23 years ago. I actually got it off Ebay because I couldn't find a good scan of it, and I just love the art, so it's ironic that I haven't scanned and uploaded it yet. I need to get to that! For the record, the image is taken from this (amazing) commercial for the game, and the back of the flyer is actually a loose map of the overworld.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

redmercer posted:

Why? What's wrong with that? I've never played a Fire Emblem game either so I would have done it too.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Andorra posted:

Why? What's wrong with that? I've never played a Fire Emblem game either so I would have done it too.

He starts off as a really good character, but his stats aren't very good later in the game. If you use him he'll basically just be stealing experience from the rest of the characters that actually need it, and will end up being better than him in the end game. I think just about every Fire Emblem has a character like him.

But I think it was totally fine for Arino to use Jagen because the chapter he had to beat was so early in the game.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
^^ :argh:

Andorra posted:

Jeigan is basically a character who gains no stats when he levels up. When any other character gets to his level, they will be much stronger as well. Basically using Jeigan can screw you out of winning the game but, it doesn't matter at all for this challenge.

Edit: I have no idea how he took five hours to beat the first three hours.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I haven't played that game but I take it that Jeigan is the requisite character that's way higher leveled than the rest of your party, so he's really good in combat but if you use him you're wasting EXP you should be giving to the rest of your units.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
He's not just higher level but his stats are rear end considering that he's technically a level 21 character and his stat gains when he levels up are pathetic (he has 0-10% chance of increasing his stats, most characters have at least 30%+)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Yeah, but as was said, in a way he's a good character to use in this sort of challenge because it's so short. When you only have to get to chapter 3, Jagen's stats and the fact that he's packing a Silver Lance suddenly become drat fine.

Also, this episode generally owns and the SA Team did a great job with it (even getting all the names and I think even the dialogue synched up with what appeared in Shadow Dragon!), though it actually ran into the first slightly kludgy translation I've seen in these - the whole "Caeda-sama" thing. "Lord Caeda" ends up sounding a little, well... :v:

I don't really begrudge it, as I would have had trouble there too and doing it the other "obvious" way would, in English, give the answer away immediately, but Castor goin' on about Lord Caeda made me :v: a little.

This episode still owns and I'm really happy the SA Team did it since I'm a huge FE dork. Will you guys be doing the other one as well?

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 9, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

It just so happens I actually have the flyer on my wall! It's in pretty good condition for a fourth-hand paper flyer handed out 23 years ago. I actually got it off Ebay because I couldn't find a good scan of it, and I just love the art, so it's ironic that I haven't scanned and uploaded it yet. I need to get to that! For the record, the image is taken from this (amazing) commercial for the game, and the back of the flyer is actually a loose map of the overworld.

Thanks for having my idea first, executing it better and thus stealing my dream. :emo:

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Maxwell Adams posted:

Doesn't look like it. However, Phantasmagoria was released for the Sega Saturn with a full japanese dub, which is pretty amazing. It came on 8 CDs.

Oh my god I cannot even begin to imagine how much I want to play Phantasmagoria in Japanese right now

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

GidgetNomates posted:

Oh my god I cannot even begin to imagine how much I want to play Phantasmagoria in Japanese right now

Go buy an Action Replay or Japanese Saturn and then here you go only $22 + shipping! That's $2.75 per disc so it's a steal.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I had no idea that got a Saturn release! I know what's going on the end of my backlog.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Michael Carnage posted:

Go buy an Action Replay or Japanese Saturn and then here you go only $22 + shipping! That's $2.75 per disc so it's a steal.

I wanted a Saturn for Winning Post but I really didn't want to get one for just one game so this is giving me a new reason to want a Saturn again...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Yeah, but as was said, in a way he's a good character to use in this sort of challenge because it's so short. When you only have to get to chapter 3, Jagen's stats and the fact that he's packing a Silver Lance suddenly become drat fine.

Also, this episode generally owns and the SA Team did a great job with it (even getting all the names and I think even the dialogue synched up with what appeared in Shadow Dragon!), though it actually ran into the first slightly kludgy translation I've seen in these - the whole "Caeda-sama" thing. "Lord Caeda" ends up sounding a little, well... :v:

I don't really begrudge it, as I would have had trouble there too and doing it the other "obvious" way would, in English, give the answer away immediately, but Castor goin' on about Lord Caeda made me :v: a little.

This episode still owns and I'm really happy the SA Team did it since I'm a huge FE dork. Will you guys be doing the other one as well?

I meant to go back and change that to "Lady Caeda". I honestly didn't know Caeda was a woman until I was working on the second part.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Random Stranger posted:

I meant to go back and change that to "Lady Caeda". I honestly didn't know Caeda was a woman until I was working on the second part.

Yeah, but like I said, if you make it "Lady Caeda" it becomes a problem going the other way since it makes Arino look brain-dead for not immediately realizing Castor's talking about her, since she's literally the only woman on the team at that point. But he wouldn't realize it straight off, because "-sama" is gender-neutral, which is the whole reason AD Matsui phrased his hint that way.

Like I said, I can't really fault you guys for it because it's one of those things that's virtually impossible to get right. It just made me :v: a little when I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

SpaceDrake posted:

Since Caeda appears to be a girl (probably is a boy since I used to think Marth was a girl too), wouldn't Lady work better, since that's the feminine version of Lord? Of course, if Caeda is male then disregard.