Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Radish green pesto. Like, uh, maybe hazlenut and salty salty parm? That's usually how we put up all the leftover greens we have after pulling our plants at the end of the season. Just make a shitload of pesto and freeze it in useful increments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah I was tempted to make a Kale ferment, but everything I read said it would be kinda gross. I’ve ended up doing greens sauces to get rid of the mountains of greens at the beginning of the season. Boil em, then blend em with mushrooms and Parma, and seasonings. Use as a topping for steak or as a pasta sauce like a pesto. Freezes well. If I can dig up the recipe I’ll post it.

Another way to use them is to make things similar to palak paneer in an Indian dish .

Thanks for this. I went a bit nuts when garden centres opened and bought approx 40 kale plants. My neighbours told me I was nuts but I insisted that I would use all of the kale. Well as it turns out, using up the constant kale is hard.

DrBouvenstein posted:

A large chunk of my radishes either bolted or I just didn't have the conditions right, and the actual radishes are unedible, long, skinny, and woody. Can I at least do something with the greens?

My brother loves radishes and makes radish green pesto all the time. Highly recommended, if you like radishes (I just dumped the ones delivered from my community garden box with him...)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Didn’t find the greens sauce but these are good ways to use up assorted greens...

and they freeze well

For the paneer just sub what green you have. I wouldn’t go more than 30% kale though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Hell ye

I got a new batch of pickles going. The last one ended up too garlicky, if you can believe that. This time I've adjusted, added dill and mustard seed, and thrown a few dried chili peppers in there. Should be ready to eat in a week or so.

I wanna make kimchi when I finally run out of sauerkraut, too.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I just brined some turnips yesterday, nothing fancy didn't have any beats on hand so they won't even be pink, but whatever. Can't wait to crack into the had and eat them all in one sitting next week.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Thinking about greens again. You can freeze them (the tougher ones like kale , collards, etc) too. Not even cooked. Just wash the leaves whole and put them in a plastic gallon bag in the freezer. I don’t even blanch them. When you goto use them they will be brittle. You can just hold the stem and pull down and they fall apart off the stem. They’re only good for cooked applications this way, like to add to soups or that green paneer dish. But for that application it’s handy. And one doesn’t even have to cut them up because they break apart. I make quick soups for lunch a lot and just being able to sprinkle frozen greens into them ups my consumption of greens a lot.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My pickles came out squishy, I forgot to cut off the blossom ends :mad:

They taste fine, at least. They acidified way faster than last time, I think because I cut them open in advance. Next batch I'll cut the ends off, and probably double the number of bayleaves, triple the dried chili peppers. Those chili peppers dilute a lot in the brine.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
They may get spicier over time, I’ve had that happen with dried chilies. Like two months in before it got spicy. I think it was because they were old, like 2014 dried.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have a good recipe for pickled sausages, like the Big Mama ones? Obviously, it’s easy to find recipes. I’m looking for ones that come with personal Goon recommendations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but whatever, no mods no masters.

I have a few jars of blueberry "jam" that didn't really set up all the way, so they are thicker than a syrup but not thick enough to be a jam.
It still tastes pretty good, so I don't want to dump it, anybody have ideas on how use it?

My first thought was ice cream, would it be better as a late addition before freezinf (like a swirl) or mixed into the base?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

bengy81 posted:

I have a few jars of blueberry "jam" that didn't really set up all the way, so they are thicker than a syrup but not thick enough to be a jam.
It still tastes pretty good, so I don't want to dump it, anybody have ideas on how use it?

My first thought was ice cream, would it be better as a late addition before freezinf (like a swirl) or mixed into the base?

My favorite thing to do with loose batches of jam is to use them in braising. Blueberry may be a little strange but I bet you could make a freakin' slammin' bbq sauce with it to do braised pork in.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ice cream is good, you could just spoon it on top of regular ice cream and it'd work well. Not sure about mixing it into the ice cream directly; my intuition is that the flavor would get diluted too much unless you used a lot.

My go-to uses for loose jams like that are mixed into plain yogurt, and as a topping on pancakes / French toast, instead of using syrup.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My go-to uses for loose jams like that are mixed into plain yogurt, and as a topping on pancakes / French toast, instead of using syrup.

:stare:

Oh HELLS YEAH!!!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Absolutely this.

Also smoothies/turbocharged milkshakes, or a topping for porridge or cereal.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

bengy81 posted:

Besides mixing into yogurt, this is pretty dang specific but I have a sauce I like to whip up for duck and other gamey meats that roughly consists of: 1 part blueberry sauce or jam (though blackcurrant is even better), 1 part hoisin sauce, 1 part maple syrup. It's always a hit with sous vide duck breast.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

bengy81 posted:

Pancakes, waffles, cheesecake, mixed into yogurt. Back in my youth we would fail jam on purpose then ferment it into alcohol.

Jammed some strawberries this week.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am looking to can some spaghetti sauce / pizza sauce, is it ok to can it with basil and olive oil in it? Also, does anyone have a good recipe for canned spaghetti sauce?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

bengy81 posted:

heavy swirl at the end of freezing would probably be best. or just pour it on top like a sundae.

something that hasn't been mentioned yet: cocktails. might be good in fizzy gin drinks or something.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
My mom always bought plain yogurt and mixed homemade jam into it. Usually apricot, since that's what we had the most of. Nothing you buy from the store will ever taste as good as mixing it yourself.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

something that hasn't been mentioned yet: cocktails. might be good in fizzy gin drinks or something.

Using jam in cocktails seems like a trendy thing right now. I'd wager a blueberry vodka lemonade would be pretty good too.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Made some foraged red clover mint jelly:

(Only the clover was foraged, the mint is from my garden.)

I feel like the recipe used too much sugar (called for 4 cups for 2.5 cups of liquid), it's extremely sweet...like, even for a jelly. If I ever do it again, I'll try to go down to like 3 cups sugar, and hopefully it sets. It is VERY firm so I don't think a little less sugar would do much. I guess I could always add more pectin (?) but I don't think that would be needed.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DrBouvenstein posted:

Made some foraged red clover mint jelly:

(Only the clover was foraged, the mint is from my garden.)

I feel like the recipe used too much sugar (called for 4 cups for 2.5 cups of liquid), it's extremely sweet...like, even for a jelly. If I ever do it again, I'll try to go down to like 3 cups sugar, and hopefully it sets. It is VERY firm so I don't think a little less sugar would do much. I guess I could always add more pectin (?) but I don't think that would be needed.

:stare:

I grow red clover as a cover crop and feel like an f'n fool for never thinking of doing this.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Any trick to successfully and easily getting ALL the liquid from berries to make jelly?

I picked a whole mess of wild black raspberries over the weekend, and from my experience making a jam with them last year, preferred to make a jelly because drat, those things are seedy.

I got a jelly bag (didn't want to buy it, but looked in 3 grocery stores and the hardware store and no one had cheesecloth), and after the mashing and boiling, strained it in and let it sit. I feel like it clogged VERY fast, and the drip drip drips were so drat slow just like 20 minuter later. I know it said let sit overnight in the fridge, so I did...and it was still nowhere near the amount the recipe said I should have had, based on the starting amount of berries by weight. I should have had like 2 cups, I got barely 1. And my leftover mash still looked VERY wet. I tried to squeeze it to get more liquid out, some came, but most of the mush just tried to squeeze it's way out the top of the bag through my clenched fist. I then put it all into a fine mesh strainer, thinking maybe the slightly bigger holes would help, but didn't really get anymore.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I wonder how long until someone markets a kitchen centrifuge?

Throttling smaller batches at a time helps, so you don't have the gush out the top. If you have an old school food mill (the metal hand crank type) that could help separate the seeds. I am lazy and just do jam.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Dave Arnold has created one, I don't think it's cheap, but it's out there.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Arkhamina posted:

I am lazy and just do jam.

Yeah, that's what I did with all the wild red raspberries I picked:

As many seeds are there, honestly I think black raspberries are worse.

And then in 2-3 more weeks, the blackberries will be ripe and I can continue my free fruit jam sessions.

Just have to hunt down some wild blueberries...

If I wanted to be a jack-rear end, I know of an elementary school nearby that has a lot of blueberry bushes that are usually for kids' summer programs, but with those all canceled, SOMEONE should get some use out of those berries that might otherwise go to waste/feed birds and squirrels, right?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I'd do it! I wish I knew any free fruit areas here. I miss the farmer's market. Friends in my old state are showing buckets of cherries and I am so jealous. I think the season locally is not for a month.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Arkhamina posted:

I'd do it! I wish I knew any free fruit areas here. I miss the farmer's market. Friends in my old state are showing buckets of cherries and I am so jealous. I think the season locally is not for a month.

You could try looking on http://fallingfruit.org/ though I'm not sure how often it's updated, since it relies on users to add/remove items from the map. My area is pretty urban so I haven't checked anything out in a long while, since it's all so spread out..

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Arkhamina posted:

The only thing really stopping me is that the bushes are on the playground area and visible from the road. I don't want to get anyone upset, heh. I have seen a few people here and there walking their dog in the playground, or taking their kids there and grabbing a few berries (they also have a few rows of raspberry bushes,) so I guess I'll leave them be for the people enjoying them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Made apricot jam today, and didn't get the foaming under control. When I pulled the jars out of the hot water bath I could see/hear air escaping, and the jars were "full" of jam and foam (i.e. no section of air at the top of the jar). I'm guessing that the foam somehow prevented air from escaping until I disturbed the jars. They're all vacuum-sealed now, but I'm not sure that I trust that seal. :(

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Two pickle questions, thanks in advance!

If I follow a "quick refrigerator pickle" recipe, can I still just process them in a water bath and they turn out, or is it going to get funky?

How about if I just screw the tops on the jars like normal and toss them in the bottom of the chest freezer? Is that going to stay safe to eat and keep something like an edible texture once it thaws?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Huxley posted:

Two pickle questions, thanks in advance!

If I follow a "quick refrigerator pickle" recipe, can I still just process them in a water bath and they turn out, or is it going to get funky?

How about if I just screw the tops on the jars like normal and toss them in the bottom of the chest freezer? Is that going to stay safe to eat and keep something like an edible texture once it thaws?

1. I wouldn't. you need a sufficiently acidic solution. you'd probably be fine, but I wouldn't chance it. is there a reason you want to do that?

2. they'll be safe but freezing cukes turns them to mush, don't do this

if this is just figuring out how to keep fridge pickles longer, well, they will last a pretty long time as it is.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Made apricot jam today, and didn't get the foaming under control. When I pulled the jars out of the hot water bath I could see/hear air escaping, and the jars were "full" of jam and foam (i.e. no section of air at the top of the jar). I'm guessing that the foam somehow prevented air from escaping until I disturbed the jars. They're all vacuum-sealed now, but I'm not sure that I trust that seal. :(

Rather than lose the batch, or worry, you can always dump the jam back into a kettle, recook it, and skim the foam, making sure you get the headspace correct for the recipe. It's work, but I am sure the jam will be worth it!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Crusty Nutsack posted:

if this is just figuring out how to keep fridge pickles longer, well, they will last a pretty long time as it is.

It was this, yeah. But based on how they are getting eaten, I don't think it's actually going to be an issue.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Today was jam making day, we bought about 15 kilos of strawberries at a good price (40€) and sorted them, cooked them (some, ~1/3rd was just crushed and sugared for an uncooked jam) and canned them. They will all be frozen.

Hopefully this will last us until next year, this goes in everything, in cakes, on pancakes, milkshakes, you name it. The ones in the square containers is the uncooked jam.

Bonus cat:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Flaggy posted:

I am looking to can some spaghetti sauce / pizza sauce, is it ok to can it with basil and olive oil in it? Also, does anyone have a good recipe for canned spaghetti sauce?

This is my go-to recipe for spaghetti sauce. It includes a 1/4 cup of oil in a 9 pint recipe. While I'm fairly anal about following canning recipes I do adjust seasonings and basil is one of the things I include.

Jars often (usually?) continue to boil and vent after you pull them out of the boiling water. It can take 5-10 minutes and sometimes longer before they cool down enough to pull a vacuum and seal with that satisfying "ping" of a job well done.

If your lids ping when you tap them with a spoon and don't come off with a bit of finger pressure they should be fine. There's some concern that excess foaming creates too much headspace that will spoil more readily over time. Not sure that anyone has actually observed it. Might just be something to worry about when cleaning out your grandmother's twenty year old canning hoard.

We use a little butter to keep foaming down. Good results so far, and easier than skimming.

Taiwanese Cabbage came ready last week, so it's Kimchi Time! Somehow the daikon crop failed. The seeds either didn't germinate or germinated and immediately formed a pencil-thin woody root and bolted. I had to buy daikon from the store. I'm so ashamed.

Probably screwed up the ferment as well. Instead of pre-fermenting the cabbage in brine before adding the other ingredients I used the same technique I use for sauerkraut - kneading the cabbage in salt until it forms its own brine. The pre-ferment went well but the rest of the ingredients seem to be taking a while to get going again.

Ah well, there are some Early Jersey volunteer cabbages by the fence forming heads so I can try again in a couple of weeks if this doesn't work.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hexigrammus posted:

Jars often (usually?) continue to boil and vent after you pull them out of the boiling water. It can take 5-10 minutes and sometimes longer before they cool down enough to pull a vacuum and seal with that satisfying "ping" of a job well done.

If your lids ping when you tap them with a spoon and don't come off with a bit of finger pressure they should be fine. There's some concern that excess foaming creates too much headspace that will spoil more readily over time. Not sure that anyone has actually observed it. Might just be something to worry about when cleaning out your grandmother's twenty year old canning hoard.

We use a little butter to keep foaming down. Good results so far, and easier than skimming.

I haven't observed continued boiling/venting before, and I've done lots of jams. Usually I do add some vegetable oil to help with foaming, but I forgot this time. I guess my main concern is, like, foam straddling the barrier created by the lid. I don't know how realistic that is.

For now the jars are in the fridge, I'll probably stick some of 'em in the freezer. I don't doubt they'll keep better than unpreserved food, I'm just being super cautious because now is not the time to risk food poisoning or anything else that might require a hospital visit.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Man, thinking of grandma's canning hoard - had a friend in elementary school, we lived fairly rural upstate NY. She was a family of 7 kids, and her parents were of something similar. Going over to her house, they had a combined canning celler/root celler that was something out of a haunted house. At least 6 shelves deep, floor to spider coated ceiling. Would be like 5 good jars, then some blackened, lid popped nugget of something. They all hunted, canned meat, had a huge vegetable garden, and we would be sent down there to get stuff. Meat and vegetable stew featured most of the meals I had over there. No idea why they didn't purge the old stuff.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Did we ever decide on if fermentation talk is cool in here?

I started a batch of garlic honey today, and the garlic seems really wants to float on the honey, should I try to keep it submerged or just let it do its thing? I haven't really seen any hard and fast directions for making it, beyond cover garlic with honey. I'm thinking it should be fine, but I just had a batch of carrots go south on me last week so I might be a little paranoid now.

Tried out some lacto-fermented turnips today, they were still extremely turnip flavored raw, so I rinsed a half cup and pan fried them. Pretty earthy flavor, very close in flavor to roasted brussels sprouts, too salty to eat on their own though, so I'll have to do some messing around to see what they will be good with.

My pickling cucumbers look like they are coming in well, so I can't wait to have a pantry full of sour and dill pickles next month.

Puppy Doll
Dec 20, 2011

Hey everybody!
Would anybody here happen to know when Presto will have pressure canners back in stock? I've been checking their website for a few weeks and it seems all analogue canners are unavailable.

I've just made my first ever marmalade, with meyer lemons! I don't think I sliced the rind thin enough, though, and am now second-guessing myself after reading you shouldn't can on glass-top stoves. Is it alright if the water still came to a rolling boil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Puppy Doll posted:

Would anybody here happen to know when Presto will have pressure canners back in stock? I've been checking their website for a few weeks and it seems all analogue canners are unavailable.

A few weeks ago I was on the American pressure canner site and they were taking orders for delivery in October.