Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MJ12 posted:

The ship had already been largely designed when they went "what about rear arc coverage?"

They probably didn't have the space for even more missile racks.
That sounds plausible.

apostateCourier posted:

Why add complexity to missile flight paths? Then if there's an obstacle behind you, you can't shoot something in front of you. That is madness.
Enough missiles and there won't be an obstacle for long. All is fair when loving war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've always thought that the Mimic pilot you dock with the Naggarock must have the biggest balls in the galaxy, suicidally depressed or not. Presumably the Somtaaw stole the technology the Imperial Taidann used to isolate Beast growths but still, you're docking with the true mothership of the Beast and taking some of it with you.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So ... as much as I agree and want to jump on the "too dumb to live" bandwagon - I can kind of see the Imperial's reasoning behind joining up with a literal apocalyptic entity.

They are hosed. They are losing, and they will be destroyed by the Hiigarans and their allies. And then they com into contact with a force that offers them victory and an empire in exchange for assistance. Sure it is probably lying and will turn on them - but what do they have to lose? And if nothing else, at least this way they take their enemies down with them.

It is a gamble that costs them little and offers them a lot - and the cost of failure is the same as the cost for losing the war - destruction.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rick_Hunter posted:

Strange question: Do you think if humans found a relic pointing to their origin as being not from Earth we would unify and go search out that planet? Or say 'gently caress it, we'll get to it when we have the time' which is probably never.

I'd be wondering what the hell happened and why we left.. Think about it. Kushans uniting and building a mothership.. going through all this trouble only to realize their original planet was destroyed a long time ago. Seriously, without any real idea of what had happened, all of this endeavour was extremely risky and did not make that much sense.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
For some reason, I remembered getting the dreadnoughts on the next mission. I thought you had to meet up with the ship we're looking for in order to gain the technology to create it, since it's an amalgam of our tech and theirs. :shrug:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Dalael posted:

I'd be wondering what the hell happened and why we left.. Think about it. Kushans uniting and building a mothership.. going through all this trouble only to realize their original planet was destroyed a long time ago. Seriously, without any real idea of what had happened, all of this endeavour was extremely risky and did not make that much sense.

Kharak sucks and they need a new place to live. The Guidestone was a great kick in the rear end, but even without it, uniting to construct a hyperspace-capable colony ship was a great move. If they find their home and it's a wreck, they can always go somewhere else.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Also let's talk the Archangel. The Archangel is quite literally the deadliest non-Bentusi warship, bar none.

It has higher HP than even a infected heavy cruiser, while managing to be faster than said infected heavy cruisers. It has only 4 ballistic guns to the Heavy Cruiser's 6, and its ion cannons have pretty bad firing arcs and only do 67% of the damage of a heavy cruiser's, but it gets six missile batteries, each of which fires one missile every 3.5 seconds to make up for it. This means that unlike a heavy cruiser, the Archangel is perfectly fine fighting against smaller craft like fighters or corvettes. The problem is, Bentusi perfection costs.

The Archangel requires 80 SUs, fully 10 more than the heavy cruiser, costs 6800 RUs to the Beast Heavy's 6500, and takes a full five minutes to build.

If I recall right, it's also the second to the last ship you'll get in the campaign.

berryjon, the repulse weapon is actually really useful because if I remember right on larger ships it sends them spinning uncontrollably, letting you win a fight simply because it can't get its guns to bear while you're still pounding on it. Losing half of your ion based firepower is a small price to pay for being able to get several free hits on an enemy heavy cruiser IME.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I forgot how the Beast doesn't even deny that eventually it will turn on the Imperials. They merely point out that it will take a a long time to consume everyone else so they can build a happy little empire and leave the Beast problem to future generations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Personally, I never really ran more than two Dreadnoughts simultaneously during the campaign. They were mostly there for their special ability and tanking fire - actually killing things was secondary to being the damage sponge while the big murderball of Deacons focused down enemy frigates and capitals one at a time with concentrated long-range missile and ion fire. Rest of my late-game force was a bunch of ACVs for EMPing and dealing with small fry and a Sentinel shell for the Kuun-Lan. And of course the fun thing that I won't spoiler.

Magni fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 27, 2015

John Liver
May 4, 2009

A secret project under the codename "Nomad Moon."

...oh please let this be what I think it is.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, it's not like the Somtaaw need those Ion Cannons. Not with what we'll be getting.
edit: VVV Because it's awesome.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 27, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Why do I have the sinking feeling that nomad moon is something related to the end of star wars.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I liked the touch how, a mission or two ago, we were told the Republic was working on some kind of super-weapon. And this mission they're like, 'Let's go steal that super-weapon!'

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

John Liver posted:

A secret project under the codename "Nomad Moon."

...oh please let this be what I think it is.

Since codewords for projects aren't supposed to have anything to do with what they are, maybe it's just a really efficient way to grow corn? The Beast has no need for crops, though.

Does the Dreadnaught get converted by the cruise missiles or does it just take damage like the Destroyers?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Jet Jaguar posted:

Does the Dreadnaught get converted by the cruise missiles or does it just take damage like the Destroyers?

Takes damage.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jet Jaguar posted:

Since codewords for projects aren't supposed to have anything to do with what they are, maybe it's just a really efficient way to grow corn? The Beast has no need for crops, though.

Corn - Lots of biomass to turn into circuits.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Jet Jaguar posted:

Any Somtaaw supercapital ship (meaning carriers, destroyers, dreadnaughts, and the Kuun-lan itself) is immune to infection. A couple kushan/taiidan ships are also immune - namely those destroyers Berryjon's been collecting - but that's more a limitation of "we didn't bother making any art for infected destroyers so :effort: they're immune I guess".

This is also kind of a hole in the Beast's skirmish capabilities - Between frigates and heavy cruisers they have access to literally nothing, and the Beast's frigate choices are also severely limited (it might just be ion array frigates and nothing else (e: they also have ramming frigates which... aren't great)), so they have to be extremely aggressive the entire game to force Somtaaw players onto the wrong foot so they put their own frigates into situations where they can be infected and copied and to hopefully end the game before they start making GBS threads out Destroyers and Dreads. While beast HCs are pretty scary they're severely outclassed by the Somtaaw's options.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 27, 2015

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

Veloxyll posted:

Bushels of screaming corn is where I stop playing a game.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Veloxyll posted:

The beast will gain lots of military experience, thanks to all the kernels.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Neurion posted:

The beast will gain lots of military experience, thanks to all the kernels.

:haw:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Homeworld has hit the Archives! Yay!

Also, started to get ahead of myself, and I've started to record HW2. Just the first mission so far, but I'm beginning to fear what I will do when there's no more HW left to play....

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

berryjon posted:

Homeworld has hit the Archives! Yay!

Also, started to get ahead of myself, and I've started to record HW2. Just the first mission so far, but I'm beginning to fear what I will do when there's no more HW left to play....

Homeworld Remastered :unsmigghh:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
You could also showcase good builds of popular mods

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Perhaps not an in-depth LP of Homeworld Remastered (it's basically the same game, barring the engine change/tweaks), but maybe something to showcase the differences and tweaks would be kinda nice for those who may be on the fence about Remastered. Especially since, if you kept the footage on storage, you'd be able to do some side-by-side comparisons of where HW1 missions may diverge wildly due to the engine tweaks (there's two missions in particular that come to mind where they change wildly due to using HW2's dynamic scaling!). And I dunno what sort of spectator options Remastered has, if any, but maybe hosting some goons screwing around in MP could make for some entertaining videos. Plus it'd further showcase what Remastered brings to the table on that front.

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011
Homeworld Remastered has a few significant mechanical changes that make the single player campaign feel quite different than the original.
  • Research costs money now. I'm not sure why they felt the need to change this, but it caught me off guard.
  • Fighters and corvettes never stay in the formation you assign them. It's kinda similar to how evasive tactics used to work, except you can't even get them to stay in a sphere around a resource collector. Interceptor and attack bomber "claw of doom" formations properly used in the original HW would annihilate superior numbers of poorly formed or spaced out units; corvettes set to sphere formation would surround targets at maximum range and plink them to death. Interceptors or scouts in Evasive could be used to distract capitals and frigates until the cavalry arrived. Now all the smaller ships break off and get right into range of the assault frigate turrets, regardless of how you set them up, and they die very quickly.
  • Corvettes no longer require fuel. Kinda makes support frigates even more useless. Umm... are you sure you restored the same game?
  • Ion beams absolutely tear through assault frigates like they're made of tissue paper, even against the front armor (which is supposed to be heavy). Basically this means you have no time to disengage or maneuver before you're torn to shreds.
  • On the other hand, two assault frigates will wipe out a group of ten interceptors in as many seconds. Used to be that neither could really damage the other, and you'd have yourself a pretty furball for five minutes until the frigates could actually get some hits in.
  • Combat in general seems a LOT faster. Units die quicker, most of the units move faster as well. No more leisurely space combat.
  • Costs on a lot of units have been tweaked a bit, likely done for multiplayer and just lazily carried over. This probably won't bother anyone except purists. Okay I just realized interceptors cost nearly twice as much as in the original HW. That's kinda broken.
  • Likewise the HUD is ripped out of HW2. I think it's cluttered and kinda kills the open feel of the original game, though you can temporarily toggle it off with Backspace key... but when you do this you no longer have the indication in the upper corner of what's selected.
  • Formations and tactics are ripped straight out of HW2 as well. Instead of Aggressive/Neutral/Evasive you get Aggressive/Defensive/Passive, and you also have things like "fighter screen" and "frigate line" formations from HW2. Which would be fine if they worked, but they don't.
  • Niggling little things like ctrl-click not always working, control groups forgetting units, and being unable to hold Z and drag to auto-repair groups (turns out it's bound to Y, and it's a toggle instead of holding, and it binds fighters and corvettes to dock instead of the frigate to blast a repair beam). B brings up the build menu but doesn't dismiss it again. The Escape key doesn't bring up the menu, and you can't configure it to do so. Stupid little things like that.

I mean, other than that, it's kinda the same game. The cutscenes are redone (and beautiful!) and the ships and explosions are all really pretty. The music is still just as great as I remember, and no longer in potato quality. There are tweaks to auto-harvest all resources so you don't have to hang around at the end of the mission waiting, and now you can see what the unit cap limits are before you hit them. You can even pause and issue orders now.

But it's almost like hooking up with your high school sweetheart at the 20 year reunion. She looks even better than you remember, wow she's driving a really nice car now, but I certainly don't remember her knowing THOSE tricks before, I thought her sister was the one with the piercings, and what is she doing with those handcuffs wait this is not the girl I used to date...

rabiddeity fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 1, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It's almost like they remade HW2, and then ported the HW1 campaign into it.

Oh.

Wait.

That's exactly what they did.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

berryjon posted:

Oh.

Wait.

What the hell was the point of the remaster? Maybe not having access to the cataclysm source might be a blessing in disguise.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

berryjon posted:

Oh.

Wait.

Ugh. Never trust Gearbox.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

They couldn't restore HW1 and went with porting it, yeah. I didn't have much use for fighters except for the ghost ship and as a distraction wave, the alpha strike is pretty critical in big fights, and so on. Salvage corvettes are even better now though, you can steal enemy strike craft! (People have loaded up on turanic corvettes in mission 2 and ended up getting their cyro trays melted before the opening cutscene in mission 3 finished, whoops.)

I still enjoyed it but there's a lot of rough edges that come from the fact they had to port HW1 into HW2's engine. On the other hand I'm enjoying the hell out of HW2.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Ugh. Never trust Gearbox.
I should've learned, but the call of Homeworld was too strong.
At least Salvage Corvettes are still hilarious, but the removal of the fantastic Aggressive/Neutral/Evasive mechanic, breaking formations entirely and making strike crafts for the most part a waste of resources feels like a kick in the teeth. :sigh:

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008
Of all the things that HW:R changed for HW1 what stood out to me the most are:

Salvage corvettes are now even more broken. You can cap corvettes now, and fighters.( Mind you there's some strange bugs. Capped ships can be in your colors or the enemy, and capped corvettes seem to change to another type sometimes.)
Mission scaling is based off HW2's scaling, (With HW1 no cap on salvaging :psyduck: ) and it is hosed. I entered the ghost ship level with a very large fleet and left with 52 assault frigates in addition to what you would get from the old game. A kleptomaniac run had netted me over 1000 frigates so far, of course you need it because the average attack wave is 2-4 cruisers, 5-9 destroyers and 15-30 frigates. CPU destroying doomblobs as far as the eye can see!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
If you capture a shitton of ships, and then retire them all before jumping, does it scale back down like it does in HW2?

macdjord
Oct 26, 2013
Do note that, according to their website, this is 'Beta' and there will be updates that correct some of these issues.

Overall, I am disappointed with everything except the visuals. I knew that they were using the HW2 engine, and that that would necessitate some changes, but I expected that, being professional developers with access to the source code, they would be adding the missing HM1 features - like fuel, beam-based repair & resourcing, and formations - rather than hacking things together from the existing HW2 features. Right now it feels more like a good HW2->HW1 total-conversion mod, rather than a professional remake (except, again, for the visuals - which are stunning).

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Yeah, I can't say it's a bad package overall because the original versions come with Remastered, it's a lot of bang for your buck. But HW1:R is definitely disappointing.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

There are a few issues with the Remaster, but adding in difficulty scaling made some of the missions insanely fun. The second to last mission was an epic fleet battle between my fleet and about 15 destroyers, 60 frigates, and a couple hundred strike craft. It was super epic.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It also looks like that resources in HW1:R are down, as Gearbox expects people to go full Salvage, rather than, you know, play the game.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The upside to all of this is that the game is apparently incredibly mod-friendly, so we should have everything back to normal before too long.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

macdjord posted:

Do note that, according to their website, this is 'Beta' and there will be updates that correct some of these issues.

Overall, I am disappointed with everything except the visuals. I knew that they were using the HW2 engine, and that that would necessitate some changes, but I expected that, being professional developers

Gearbox, man. There was your mistake.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

berryjon posted:

It also looks like that resources in HW1:R are down, as Gearbox expects people to go full Salvage, rather than, you know, play the game.

I'm wondering if the auto collect at the end of missions in HW1:R is based on what you've got explored. I didn't have any serious RU issues and didn't steal everything bolted down, but hard to say. Might play around with it in a random mission to see.
Meanwhile in HW2:R I'm drowning in RUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

berryjon posted:

I ended with around 90k RUs left in the bank, despite having to replace the majority of my fighters and corvettes after every mission. I don't recall resources ever being an issue for me after mission 5.

• Locked thread