Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Honestly, if the player is fine with it, I'd have him control a his -character themed Standard monster. I did that in my SR campaign when someone was going to be replaced by an evil clone once it was revealed. (The player was onboard with playing and RPing the evil clone for a session ahead of time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
How many players do you guys strike scales to nicely before it bogs down too far?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gort posted:

Yeah, it'll probably be the first couple of hits being eaten by reactive "Nuh uh you didn't actually hit me" powers and then the next hit vapourises someone.

And not all roles get the NUH UH reactions, so some would just eat dirt in PvP.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hey Jimbo, for The Boss Kit, it says "A handful of people follow you and help you. They have some useful Skills. Pick 2 appropriate Skills for them. They are also Flawed. Pick 1 Flaw for them." Does every member of this crew get 2 Skills and a Flaw or is it just 2 Skills and a Flaw for them as a group?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Serf posted:

Hey Jimbo, for The Boss Kit, it says "A handful of people follow you and help you. They have some useful Skills. Pick 2 appropriate Skills for them. They are also Flawed. Pick 1 Flaw for them." Does every member of this crew get 2 Skills and a Flaw or is it just 2 Skills and a Flaw for them as a group?

2 skills and a flaw for the whole group

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

2 skills and a flaw for the whole group

That's what I figured after reading the advances more closely. Thanks!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ShineDog posted:

How many players do you guys strike scales to nicely before it bogs down too far?

3-5 is ideal imho, 6 starts to drag but isn't awful. I wouldn't go past that.

Sly Deaths Head
Nov 5, 2009

gourdcaptain posted:

Honestly, if the player is fine with it, I'd have him control a his -character themed Standard monster. I did that in my SR campaign when someone was going to be replaced by an evil clone once it was revealed. (The player was onboard with playing and RPing the evil clone for a session ahead of time.)

I was able to convince her to go along with something similar to this. The term "rocket tag" was useful in persuading her because that concept already lead to some super unfun TPKs in the past.

Sly Deaths Head fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 19, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Striker and Sniper generic enemies seem pretty hardcore when you apply the modifications for a six person party. 8 damage on a crit, ouch. Buddies better watch out.

Am I getting this right: for a big party I bump all damage up 1, and to stoogeify an enemy I bump it down 1, so for a six person party a stooge enemy deals exactly the damage that's printed?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Striker and Sniper generic enemies seem pretty hardcore when you apply the modifications for a six person party. 8 damage on a crit, ouch. Buddies better watch out.

Am I getting this right: for a big party I bump all damage up 1, and to stoogeify an enemy I bump it down 1, so for a six person party a stooge enemy deals exactly the damage that's printed?

Not at home so can't double-check, but I think stooge snipers would reduce their damage to 1 and the extra damage to 1, and then for the 6-player modifications you would increase the base damage back to 2 but not the extra. So the result would be 2 damage with Effect: 1 extra damage.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's what I arrived at. Checks out, then.

I like the damage increase rather than enemy count increase for big parties a lot, by the way. Already thinking about ways to feed it back into 4E.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
So I'm gearing up on a horror game using Strike! using just the base system, no tactical combat. Premise is pretty simple, players are on a road-trip but get lost and end up at a spooky mansion. Think B-movie-level of tone here. It's gonna be a one/two session game so that's why I don't think tactical combat is necessary.

Now would it be out of question to get my players to replace connection or social skills with other skills related to their background? Doesn't make much sense when they're not gonna be able to interact with many (if any) NPCs.

I'm also having trouble trying to figure out ways to get the players to explore the mansion enough... Like, I'm flip-flopping if I should have NPCs that live at the house or if they're exploring a dilapidated one.

Eventually I want them to discover eldritch horrors within and then they'll have to escape with their lives. For those parts I'm thinking just basically doing opposed checks to attack/protect themselves and team conflict for more complex situations. The goal will be to retrieve 3 ancient items (that will randomly spawn in different rooms in the house) in order to seal the horrors and be able to survive.

Anyone got any advice I could use? I have DMed a bit in the past but while I never found myself to be a good story-teller, my players seemed to enjoy my game design (which is the most fun part for me). I haven't done Strike! but I've been wanting to do a game for almost a year now and think a quick game using the base system would be a good way to introduce it to them (they typically have only played D&D systems in the past, currently Pathfinder).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
why would you use Strike! for a game with no tactical combat

e: I missed the bit at the very end, is it just for familiarization purposes?

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah pretty much. Just one or two sessions at most; if they like it we could move onto something where the combat rules fit better.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Since the supernatural is real in this game, you might consider replacing real world connections with spiritual connections.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To be honest, I could see myself running such a game. While the tactical combat system is definitely the highlight of the game the rest of the game's rules are also fun and interact really well together. Also, I've found that in games with a lot of tactical combat stuff like Kits gets overshadowed easily, which is a shame because Kits are cool.

I actually kind of want to run a Strike! game with no tactical combat using the not-Avatar setting from the end of the book, but I'd probably use something similar to the Fight rules someone posted a few pages back because an abstract combat system would be perfect for that type of game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

My sense after having kits for a bit is also Kits + Tactical Combat = Too Many Things.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Kits in my game get almost completely forgotten. Which is a shame, Kits are cool. Then again my game also seems to have a problem with the action point economy to the point where nobody ever invokes their complications.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kits are cool but they're the one thing in the game I would never, ever use without writing my own or at least curating the hell out of them.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I read the kits when setting up the Shadowrun game and there was just too many that didn't fit with how the setting works. I like the idea of players purchasing specific out-of-combat powers, but when it requires generating a bunch on my own, I might as well just fake it using the skill system and managing what players want to do.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Scyther posted:

Then again my game also seems to have a problem with the action point economy to the point where nobody ever invokes their complications.
Yup, our game has a case of this too. Most of the players in our group generally end each session maxed or near maxed on APs. Rallying once in a while in a fight isn't really enough to burn through them, and Tricks are cool when they come into play, but they're also extremely situational.

I think to really burn them you'd need to do something like spend one for advantage on any roll.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Strikes skill system is super fun and unique, pbta also is super fun, but I don't think they work well together, just because each requires your attention.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

I think to really burn them you'd need to do something like spend one for advantage on any roll.

You can almost do this using Related Skills. I'd say many if not most rolls have a justifiable related Skill.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Given that the zone created by a misfire on a 1 for a Bombardier lasts until the start of the Bombardier's following turn, and that many of them trigger on someone "starting their turn in the zone or entering it," does a Bombadier end up being affected by the zone part of the misfire, assuming they don't move out of the zone after misfiring? Because if you can resolve "effects that end or trigger at the start of [the] turn... in any order you choose," then it seems like the zone can be eliminated before the Bombardier is influenced.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Given that the zone created by a misfire on a 1 for a Bombardier lasts until the start of the Bombardier's following turn, and that many of them trigger on someone "starting their turn in the zone or entering it," does a Bombadier end up being affected by the zone part of the misfire, assuming they don't move out of the zone after misfiring? Because if you can resolve "effects that end or trigger at the start of [the] turn... in any order you choose," then it seems like the zone can be eliminated before the Bombardier is influenced.

I agree. As written, they avoid the effects of the zone that trigger at the start of their turn.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

I agree. As written, they avoid the effects of the zone that trigger at the start of their turn.

Toxic Bomb can cause a creature to take Ongoing 2 at the start of their turn. Do they suffer that damage on the turn they get it, or does it not start damaging them until the following turn (i.e., two turns after the Toxic Bomb attack)?

With Bombing Run, the zones take effect at end of turn. With Hot Bomb, if the bomber is in the zone, do they take the damage for ending their turn in the zone?

Essentially, the general question is, if an end-/start-of-turn effect creates an additional end-/start-of-turn effect, respectively, does the latter trigger the turn it is created?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I would think that as long as it's still the start of your turn when you gain the Ongoing 2 condition, which it would be, it gets added to the list of effects that need to be resolved at the start of that turn. Same with end of turn. You can't play the same game of choosing the right ordering as in the situation I described. But it would be good to get confirmation on that.

Jimbozig posted:

Thanks for confirming. I had the character take the effect, because it seemed more in keeping with the spirit of the misfire rules, but won't in the future.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

eth0.n posted:

Toxic Bomb can cause a creature to take Ongoing 2 at the start of their turn. Do they suffer that damage on the turn they get it, or does it not start damaging them until the following turn (i.e., two turns after the Toxic Bomb attack)?

With Bombing Run, the zones take effect at end of turn. With Hot Bomb, if the bomber is in the zone, do they take the damage for ending their turn in the zone?

Essentially, the general question is, if an end-/start-of-turn effect creates an additional end-/start-of-turn effect, respectively, does the latter trigger the turn it is created?

Yes. If you get ongoing damage on your turn, you immediately take it (see the recent Errata for that rule).

And yes, If the Hot Bomb triggers at the end of your turn with you in it, you get hit by it.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
There's a bug in the Strike character generator that one of my players and I noticed. To reproduce:
1. Select custom background in the dropdown.
2. Fill out the questionnaire.
3. While filling it out, select "Skill" for "how you get stuff" and "People" for "what helps when times are tough", resulting in a penniless combination.

After those steps, the skill for getting stuff won't show up.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Kaja Rainbow posted:

There's a bug in the Strike character generator that one of my players and I noticed. To reproduce:
1. Select custom background in the dropdown.
2. Fill out the questionnaire.
3. While filling it out, select "Skill" for "how you get stuff" and "People" for "what helps when times are tough", resulting in a penniless combination.

After those steps, the skill for getting stuff won't show up.

Fixed. (A missing close bracket!)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm having a bit of trouble parsing the Bombardier's Misfire.

For one: it happens when you roll a 1 on any attack? Even a Melee Basic Attack that doesn't even use bombs/ammo?
And for two: say you've got three enemies nicely in position for a 3x3 zone. You roll a 5 for the first, great. A 6 for the second - fantastic! And then on the third you get the 1 and... okay, the zone is now centered on you. The bomb goes off in your hand, fair enough. But does that entirely invalidate the rolls for the first two if they're no longer in the blast area?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble parsing the Bombardier's Misfire.

For one: it happens when you roll a 1 on any attack? Even a Melee Basic Attack that doesn't even use bombs/ammo?
And for two: say you've got three enemies nicely in position for a 3x3 zone. You roll a 5 for the first, great. A 6 for the second - fantastic! And then on the third you get the 1 and... okay, the zone is now centered on you. The bomb goes off in your hand, fair enough. But does that entirely invalidate the rolls for the first two if they're no longer in the blast area?

For one, I'd rule no, since otherwise what "bomb" is used in the misfire is unspecified. But wording could be improved.

For two, to be clear, Bombardiers don't get multi-attacks. They attack one target, and if they get the effect, they place the zone. The zone does not roll attacks. A Blaster Bombardier would have this issue, except that Blaster specifies that only the first roll can incur a Strike. Since the misfire is in place of the Strike, it should thus only apply on the first roll.

Relatedly, the Bombing Run power seems really awkward in mechanics, and not what I'd expect based on the name. Basically, you shoot someone, then if you get an Effect on that shot, you get to run around dropping bombs, which don't deal damage, but do create Zones. Is this really the intent? It's pretty awkward narratively. I'd have expected something like:

Bombing Run
Melee, Damage 2
Special: [As current, plus: ]. Before attacking, you can move your speed. Make your attack from any square along your path. Gain +1 Reach on this attack.
Effect: Drop a bomb on your attack target, and one other square on or adjacent to any square along your path. At the end of your turn... [rest as current]

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

eth0.n posted:

For two, to be clear, Bombardiers don't get multi-attacks.
Ooooooh. This, kids, is why you don't assume. And yeah, with Blaster multiattacks, it seems perfectly clear.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Can someone clarify the 5/6 player badguy balance rules and how that's supposed to stack with goons and such?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

How does the Magician power Mudge's Localized Volcano work? It creates a zone but doesn't specify when the damage gets applied. Other powers usually say "when a creature enters or starts its turn in the zone..." or something like that.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

megane posted:

How does the Magician power Mudge's Localized Volcano work? It creates a zone but doesn't specify when the damage gets applied. Other powers usually say "when a creature enters or starts its turn in the zone..." or something like that.

Immediately.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ooooooh. This, kids, is why you don't assume. And yeah, with Blaster multiattacks, it seems perfectly clear.

Yes. And there is a note in the class for Blasters, too.

ShineDog posted:

Can someone clarify the 5/6 player badguy balance rules and how that's supposed to stack with goons and such?
Well, Goons don't generally have Encounter Powers, so for 5p they don't change. (If the combat is all or mostly goons, you can throw in an extra goon or two.) For 6p, they increase their attack damage by 1 on all attacks.

For Stooges, the situation is similar.

For all enemies, the extra damage just increases the number next to the damage symbol (or auto-damage like the Grappler's Crush power); it doesn't increase conditional or ongoing damage.

Clear?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Immediately.
So it only hits once, then?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Jimbozig posted:

Immediately.

Yes. And there is a note in the class for Blasters, too.

Well, Goons don't generally have Encounter Powers, so for 5p they don't change. (If the combat is all or mostly goons, you can throw in an extra goon or two.) For 6p, they increase their attack damage by 1 on all attacks.

For Stooges, the situation is similar.

For all enemies, the extra damage just increases the number next to the damage symbol (or auto-damage like the Grappler's Crush power); it doesn't increase conditional or ongoing damage.

Clear?

Clear. Seems it could go badly for the pcs if goons move before them since you're looking at plus 8 damage instead of a plus 4 for a similar encounters worth. I assume this is offset by players being able to explode huge swaths of goons in a single round?

I assume I can just put in equal numbers and it'll still work OK, even if it takes longer.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

ShineDog posted:

Clear. Seems it could go badly for the pcs if goons move before them since you're looking at plus 8 damage instead of a plus 4 for a similar encounters worth. I assume this is offset by players being able to explode huge swaths of goons in a single round?

I assume I can just put in equal numbers and it'll still work OK, even if it takes longer.

Yep. You can just throw on more monsters instead if you don't mind it taking longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hey what are people's feelings about Team Conflict traits being known to players? We discussed this after I ran Team Conflict with the errata. The combination of my making the conflict too strong (in Trait terms) and the fact that they didn't know them going in meant they didn't win (but conceded, and so got out with no Strikes). I mean, there was some bad player die-rolling and one very timely good Team Monster roll, but I think it was tilted against the players as-is. What we settled on was that that Traits the PCs would have reason to know should be explicit, but Traits the PCs couldn't have known could be (but do not have to be) surprises.

I want to know what other people think!