Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

This really feels like a sequel to Doom 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Lol at these taunts gaming is dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF6MSYkyfrY

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I'm gonna make the prediction now that after release when the game's multiplayer is panned by arena shooter / esports type people and no one is interested in playing it, they will in desperation release an update that adds back in rocket jumping / greater air control / bunnyhopping / everything else they left out from the original release for Reasons

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Loadouts? Exp? Ironsights? Slow movement?! gently caress that noise. I was wanting Doom, or at least Brutal Doom. If they got the multiplayer this wrong then I can't expect the single player to be much better, especially since there won't be any modding community. What's next? Cutscenes and QTE bullshit in the single player? gently caress that. I was always skeptical of this game, but I never thought I would agree so much with Retard 4 about this game being more of the same poo poo as always.

I miss the high speed chaos of older FPS games. I grew up on Goldeneye, Halo CE and Quake. They were very different games but they all put speed, action, and fluidity above everything else. Those games didn't slow you down for any reason, so it sucks to see the industry completely abandon the old style. I have no clue why every developer imitates CoD instead of trying to make something unique. I for one am sick of slowing down just to aim my loving gun.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 2, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Skeleton King posted:

I was wanting Doom, or at least Brutal Doom... I have no clue why every developer imitates CoD instead of trying to make something unique.
So by "unique" you mean "copy the thing I want them to copy, instead of copying the other thing"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Linguica posted:

I'm gonna make the prediction now that after release when the game's multiplayer is panned by arena shooter / esports type people and no one is interested in playing it, they will in desperation release an update that adds back in rocket jumping / greater air control / bunnyhopping / everything else they left out from the original release for Reasons

i give them 2 weeks

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

I miss the high speed chaos of older FPS games. I grew up on Goldeneye, Halo CE.

I'm sorry, but lol if you think those games are high-speed chaos. and there will be a modding community in the form of Snapmap, considering how modding doesnt exist anymore for bigger games that's a huge thing they've made.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvaU9CaSeCE

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The multiplayer automatically sucks because melee attacks are an insta-kill that locks you into an unbreakable animation ala AVP2010.
Can't wait to see congo lines of players waiting to perform kill moves on eachother.

This is going to be dead quite fast.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Deakul posted:

The multiplayer automatically sucks because melee attacks are an insta-kill that locks you into an unbreakable animation ala AVP2010.
Can't wait to see congo lines of players waiting to perform kill moves on eachother.

This is going to be dead quite fast.

yeah I agree, the melee doesnt make any sense, I once kept blasting people and got them to the lowest health they couldve gotten but just because they managed to grab me none of the damage I dealt out made any difference. that genuinely loving sucks.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It's weird that they did a thing like the winner's circle feature from blops 3 and then didn't make your taunts usable in it.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Linguica posted:

So by "unique" you mean "copy the thing I want them to copy, instead of copying the other thing"

I see I mixed up my messages. I meant that id should copy what made Doom unique compared to other shooters. They can do what they want, but since this game is called Doom, there is an implication that it will be more like Doom 1992 than recent CoD games. Doom 3 wasn't anything like the previous Doom games, and it wasn't very good at being the new kind of experience that it wanted to be. If Doom 4 isn't like Doom 1 or 2, then it should try to be different from other shooters so that it can give people a reason to want to try it. If it can't stay true to the original, and it can't give people something they can't get anywhere else, then people probably won't like it. Kind of like with Doom 3.

The other thing I was trying to say was that FPS games in general are all falling into some trend of trying to be like CoD. I don't remember the last time I have seen an FPS that wasn't clearly imitating CoD. Battlefront 2015 and Halo 5 are good examples of games that have given up a lot of their identity by imitating.

Hope this makes things more clear.

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm sorry, but lol if you think those games are high-speed chaos. and there will be a modding community in the form of Snapmap, considering how modding doesnt exist anymore for bigger games that's a huge thing they've made.

Halo CE was pretty loving fast paced back in the day. Not as fast as quake or Doom, sure, but it ran circles around more modern shooters. It was fast in that it let you run, jump, throw grenades, shoot, and melee without ever slowing down. You couldn't take cover to heal very often since someone would just grenade you or run after you, and you were always in motion unless you were dead. There was no ironsights to slow you down either. The only gun with a scope was the sniper rifle and most people just no-scoped or only shot it at people who were too far away to shoot back.

Goldeneye on the other hand was pretty fast paced if you played on the right maps with the right settings. I found it to be most fun that way anyway.

As for snapmap, i doubt it will keep people coming back for very long. Halo 4 and 5 both had Forge mode, which was extremely popular in Halo 3 and had been greatly improved since then. When Halo 3 and Reach were around, there were even websites dedicated to sharing maps made in Forge. And yet in 4, even though forge mode was every bit as good as in Reach, nobody cared. The whole online community for 4 died in a couple of months and there was nobody to share your created maps with. The websites that had such a strong Forge community also died so there was no point in making maps anymore because you couldn't use custom maps in online matchmaking and custom games required you to have friends who still played Halo 4. Well I had a bunch of people who played 4 when it released, and after 1 month I had 2. On a good day.

Snapmap looks a lot like forge to me. Maybe I am wrong, but I feel like it won't be enough to keep it alive.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 2, 2016

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I had some fun with Duke Nukem Forever

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Overbite posted:

I had some fun with Duke Nukem Forever

April Fools is over, c'mon now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Kazvall posted:

This really feels like a sequel to Doom 3

No it doesn't because Doom 3 was actually good.

This beta feels like trash. The weapon sounds and gunfeel are nonexistent, loadouts don't fit, burn cards are a hilarious "me too" addition, and it's just not loving fun.

The graphics are okay and I like unlocking armor and conceptually being a demon is neat but boy it's not fun to fight against!

Here's hoping SP is better?

e: one more vote for lol the announcer

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, man. I thought it was just some spergs exaggerating everything but now I watched the GameSpot video and the movement looks frustratingly slow (unless you're in a tiny corridor) and the announcer sounds laughable.

The unlocks and leveling seems pointless but relatively harmless, but do the loadouts seriously lock you into two specific weapons and you can't pick up anything else? Now that's extremely stupid and lovely :(

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

D E M O N R U N E A C T I V E

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I sure hope the new revenant will resort to boxing you when you get too close, and that the hit sound is the same 70s/80s movies' punch sound. Or did he kick you in the original doom?

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 2, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yodzilla posted:

This beta feels like trash. The weapon sounds and gunfeel are nonexistent, loadouts don't fit, burn cards are a hilarious "me too" addition, and it's just not loving fun.

The graphics are okay and I like unlocking armor and conceptually being a demon is neat but boy it's not fun to fight against!

Here's hoping SP is better?

e: one more vote for lol the announcer

Seriously, guys, April Fools is over.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh, man. I thought it was just some spergs exaggerating everything but now I watched the GameSpot video and the movement looks frustratingly slow (unless you're in a tiny corridor) and the announcer sounds laughable.

The unlocks and leveling seems pointless but relatively harmless, but do the loadouts seriously lock you into two specific weapons and you can't pick up anything else? Now that's extremely stupid and lovely :(

Yeah, you can only pick up ammo/health. All the weapons are mostly balanced around the load out concept, beyond the Gauss which is a one shot kill. In the end, they took away the effectiveness of the weapons. There's no challenge of getting a nice one, and trying to hold onto it. There's pointless unlocks like skins/colors for armor/weapons. It's kinda bland. The let's cater to everyone because this is the biggest AAA title this year and we want to make lots of money on the IP/name alone, kind of bland. Perhaps the SP campaign will be fun, is coop planned for it? Seems a shame to have the name of the game that spawned multiplayer fps and for it to be... crap.

Everything that JUST happened to Quake Live to make it really lovely, is in DOOM.

lol

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

What is it with FPS games these days and the Carlton Dance emote?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

GyverMac posted:

I sure hope the new revenant will resort to boxing you when you get too close, and that the hit sound is the same 70s/80s movies' punch sound. Or did he kick you in the original doom?

He only punched.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

You haven't truly played Doom until you've taken home the Skeleton Boxing Championship belt.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Republicans posted:

What is it with FPS games these days and the Carlton Dance emote?

Only 90s kids.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

:captainpop:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
You know in your heart it's true.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

You know in your heart it's true.

I'd love to live in your dimension where Doom 3 had good multi. :allears: Overall the beta is fun for me, I don't go in expecting to last more than 30 seconds before getting gibbed by the super shotgun. I do think that the range on a double barrelled sawed off shotgun is maybe a bit too generous, until I start doing the same thing. :getin: I agree rockets need a lil more oomph to them, in the alpha they felt a bit more dangerous, pulse rifle and lightning gun are stupid useful. The alt fire for the pulse rifle is great in warpath and using a siphon grenade in combo tends to kill everything if you have someone next to you spraying the group with the shotgun or another autofire weapon. Thankfully the demon rune revenant players aren't as hard to kill in the beta. I'm digging it, the hack modules are useful especially the armor plating and bounty and retribution mods.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Overbite posted:

gtx970
i5-4690k
12gb ram
1080p

With everything on max aside from vsync (which is off) it goes between 40 and 60 constantly, it's annoying.

I am running almost the exact same setup, GTX970 with an i5-4690k at 4.2ghz with 16gb of RAM... Have you updated your drivers to the latest versions?

Also, this game is way faster than Halo 1/2/3. Sure there's a scoped sniper, and the static rifle/ar have scopes on them, but the static rifle literally rewards you for never stopping. You jump faster, you run faster, the maps are tighter and the entire game doesn't revolve around the 3/4 shot pistol/dmr/battle rifle kill. It's not not halo like, but it's definitely not slower than early halo games-- It's worth also noting that the two powerups currently in the game, haste and quad damage both make you kill faster, but do nothing to protect you, while the two powerups in halo were the overshield and invisibility, neither of which increase your damage output at all. This game isn't quite what we wanted, sure, but that's not saying that it's a bad game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lizuBrgeJkM Here's some Halo 1 gameplay, by the way. Just a reminder-- that is how slow halo 1 was. (note that this is even the PC version) (also this clip is bad but it gets the idea across. it's mostly a douchebag spawn camping with infinite grenades...)

Also, Melee attacks are only an instant kill when the melee would have just killed you outright anyways.

The Blue Caboose fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 2, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They can do what they want, but since this game is called Doom, there is an implication that it will be more like Doom 1992 than recent CoD games.

1992? You want it to be more like Spear of Destiny?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doom 3 multiplayer was nonexistent but the actual game itself was fun, please don't disparage it by comparing it to this current iteration of the series that may or may not be good for all anyone knows

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Doom beta report: played the multiplayer for about 20 minutes and I would be fine never playing it again.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

why does this game look and play like something from 2014?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

why does this game look and play like something from 2014?

This has gotta be the weirdest criticism I've read. Does 2014 have a distinct look and feel a year and change later? And games sometimes take years and years to make, when they're ready for release is often just incidental.

So I guess this looks like it's from the year... Dragon Age Inquisition came out?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gently caress the haters, the beta is pretty goddamn fun, Warpath is a clever game mode and I've been playing the poo poo out of it.

The Lightning gun is super broken, especially if you and a bunch of teammates just rush a group of defenders in Warpath and light them up like you're the goddamn Ghostbusters.

I haven't come up with a consistent strategy for dealing with enemy Revenants yet, but the plasma rifle seems to hurt it pretty well. I've seen other players take Revenants down, and generally spreading players out while focus-firing on the Revenant seems like an alright strategy.

Does the Revenant have any glory kills or melee attacks? I haven't seen any yet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xenomrph posted:

gently caress the haters, the beta is pretty goddamn fun, Warpath is a clever game mode and I've been playing the poo poo out of it.

The Lightning gun is super broken, especially if you and a bunch of teammates just rush a group of defenders in Warpath and light them up like you're the goddamn Ghostbusters.

I haven't come up with a consistent strategy for dealing with enemy Revenants yet, but the plasma rifle seems to hurt it pretty well. I've seen other players take Revenants down, and generally spreading players out while focus-firing on the Revenant seems like an alright strategy.

Does the Revenant have any glory kills or melee attacks? I haven't seen any yet.

I liked it. the guns/sound effects could have been more "deep" but it was ok. the controls were good and the gameplay was fun and gory. only problem was lag and they might have been on my end.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

This has gotta be the weirdest criticism I've read. Does 2014 have a distinct look and feel a year and change later? And games sometimes take years and years to make, when they're ready for release is often just incidental.

So I guess this looks like it's from the year... Dragon Age Inquisition came out?

Jesus crhist derndle the assets look like they came out in a game made in 2014 and it has a dumb progression system

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jesus crhist derndle the assets look like they came out in a game made in 2014 and it has a dumb progression system

Games released in 2014 likely had assets made in 2012 so it's very possible that the assets in this Doom were indeed made in 2014.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

This game is fun

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I think the biggest issue I'm seeing in this thread is that people's framing for the beta is giving them a warped view of the final product, people seem to be operating under the assumption that this game's focus is to be Quake. when the game is aiming to be the next Singleplayer Doom.

People are making the assumption that Doom is trying to be the next big arena shooter ala Quake or the next Unreal tournament, when in fact the beta we're experiencing is a tangential part of the package we are going get in a month and a half, which is the single player campaign. So when they play the game and find out that the multiplayer doesn't match their expectations of a full scale arena shooter, they get pissed off and complain that it's not as good as games whose sole purpose is to be an arena shooter, for example the upcoming UT.

I personally find the multiplayer to be a nice fun time with some quibbles that are legitimate, there are some fixes and changes that definitely need to be made, but the way I frame what I'm getting is not what the multiplayer is like, it's what the multiplayer is TELLING me about the actual meat of the story:- the single player campaign.

And all signs from the beta point to that the single player campaign will have

- quick speed and lots of jumping and verticality and climbing. This is absolutely the biggest and funnest thing.
- Lots of good and interesting combat and satisfying guns (although definitely needs some fixer uppers)
- a focus on momentum and constant frantic movement in a chaotic environment.
- good graphics, kickass music, and all signs point to a game that is overall FUN AND ACTION PACKED rather than the droll that was doom 3.
- No handholding, focused on purely pickups for what you need.

Even the parts that people complain about (the loadout and exp system) probably wont be a factor in the actual main game.

I personally feel that the Beta has raised my expectations of what the final game will be like, it's not going to be game of the year stuff, but it will be a rollicking fun time and my optimism has increased for the main campaign. here's hoping that they nailed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Jesus Christ this game looks like games that came out 4 months ago.

GET WITH THE TIMES, ID!