Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OnimaruXLR posted:

I realize this question might invite manga spoilers, but is there anything that ever explains why Nezuko is treated as semi-feral, compared to Tamayo and Yushiro?

other than "the author thought it was cuter and more badass that way"

Probably cause she has never eaten anything and is incomplete as a Demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Pretty much.

Tamayo only regained her senses after devouring her family and, while resentful, still remained under a measure of Muzan's influence for many years before finally breaking completely free.

Yushiro was created by Tamayo (as in, from her own blood) and thus seems to have inherited Tamayo's developed independence from Muzan. That, or his obsession with her may or may not be consequence of a bond akin to the power Muzan wields over his own creations. Either way, the same rules don't apply to him.

Nezuko on the other hand has been free of Muzan's influence from inception despite directly receiving his blood (iirc it's implied he wasn't even aware she'd successfully turned until other demons encountered her), and has never so much as tasted human blood. This means from the beginning she's been tuning her biology to resist his influence and the desire to devour humans, and has been doing so without eating people which is how normal demons are said to mature and grow in power. So, it seems the side-effect of pushing her self-evolution in that direction without nutrition has been a regression of her mental faculties to a child-like/feral state; she just can't spare the energy to fully develop when she's got to both fight off Muzan's power and also get stronger so she can protect her onii-chan.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 10, 2022

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Good episode though nezuko transforming into a hot demon babe or w/e is pretty loving funny and unnecessary

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tabletops posted:

Good episode though nezuko transforming into a hot demon babe or w/e is pretty loving funny and unnecessary

It seems just as unnecessary as having her mouth stuffed with a bamboo stick all the time which is definitely not some kind of fetish

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Vaguely interesting note, mouth was closed the entire length of post-callout rooftop brawl. 0 mouthbreathing.

Dude had been holding his breath for a minute of non-stop slashing.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It seems just as unnecessary as having her mouth stuffed with a bamboo stick all the time which is definitely not some kind of fetish

I mean I dig the loving girlboss energy of a lady beating the poo poo out of people. I think that Nezu of all female anime characters is unique in just absolute shithousing the bad guys. There's nothing dainty about a rage machine facekicking a demon to death through multiple dismemberments. She can literally just tank whatever fetish they want to put on her tbh.

(I'm aware that this is an anime and I'm likely to be disappointed)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean I dig the loving girlboss energy of a lady beating the poo poo out of people. I think that Nezu of all female anime characters is unique in just absolute shithousing the bad guys. There's nothing dainty about a rage machine facekicking a demon to death through multiple dismemberments. She can literally just tank whatever fetish they want to put on her tbh.

(I'm aware that this is an anime and I'm likely to be disappointed)

Episode is all I really ever wanted from this show. I've been waiting for the "CRY HAVOK!" Nezuko umuzzled moment since the get-go. Hopefully she gets another horn to maintain symmetry.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
When you cut off your opponents leg mid-kick and they regrow it in the air to finish kicking you, you know you're in trouble.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tabletops posted:

She did that in the first episode as well, though not as much. She can age herself in either direction.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

She did that in the first episode as well, though not as much. She can age herself in either direction.

That one was a bit different - she just got bigger and more muscular, not older. Less Captain Marvel, more Hulk.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah that was all loving awesome, what a gorgeous show.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

That one was a bit different - she just got bigger and more muscular, not older. Less Captain Marvel, more Hulk.

She did get older too, while not as drastic as this episode her body physically matured there too.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I feel like it's meant to be invoking, "Anything you can do I can do better." She ages herself up so this upper six motherfucker gets to be on the same end that her victims have been on.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I honestly never got the impression the manga or the anime was sexualizing Nezuko in this state because the direction doesn't sexualize her. There's no special attention paid to her bust, no overly shaded gradients, no bouncing animation, no unnecessary close ups or holds, and no comments made on the matter; it's simply a part of the Gestalt, and the Gestalt is adult Nezuko. She has cleavage, sure, but it's treated as incidental. I like that.

I also think it's a little telling that the ultimate fantasy of the designated pervert character is to carry the girl he likes across a stream and make her a flower crown. And that an arc based in the red light district is exceedingly sexless.

I honestly wonder if Gotouge isn't a fellow ace.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The tying up bondage stuff against the spider guy was as close as it ever got, otherwise it's just dog-like affection or pure rage machine.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Uzui's wives, with their huge breasts and wholly exposed hips, are sexualized designs.

Nezuko showing leg and cleavage is just contrast against her usual prim & child-like appearance - as mentioned above, it's incidental to the fact she's hulking out.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Agreed. You have to be careful not to equate large breasts with sexual, there are a lot of large chested women out there that don't feel comfortable in anything but basically a pullover because they get called whores for wearing normal clothes.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Is there any special significance to the vine 'tattoos' (for lack of a better word) on her when she's hulked out?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Is there any special significance to the vine 'tattoos' (for lack of a better word) on her when she's hulked out?

Only that demons tend to develop tattoo-like markings from using their Blood Demon Arts, and the vine patterns are hers. It's like Daki's butterfly or Akaza's bars.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I decided to get around to watching more anime this year so I picked up the anime, watched the Rengoku episode and then skipped Mugen Train cause I saw the movie like three times in theaters. Then I watched all currently released 6 episodes at midnight.

Even though I've already read the manga to completion and know what's going to happen, I still found time flying by in an instant, and couldn't stop watching until I was out of episodes because each episode seemed so short and left me wanting for more. Whenever the ED rolled by, I was like, "Wait, is the episode already over???? I can't stop here, I'll just watch one more!" and before I knew it it was past 2 am.

So my conclusion is that Kimetsu S2 is super awesome.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
They sure picked a good animation studio (I know nothing about the industry so this may be an obvious thing). There is a lot of details I completely missed until I watched it a second time, like the demon ripping off her own leg to avoid the sword when I thought it was cut off .

Is this just how modern animation is now?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

LorneReams posted:

They sure picked a good animation studio (I know nothing about the industry so this may be an obvious thing). There is a lot of details I completely missed until I watched it a second time, like the demon ripping off her own leg to avoid the sword when I thought it was cut off .

Is this just how modern animation is now?

As far as studios known for their action animation, Ufotable, MAPPA, MADHOUSE, BONES and Cloverworks are outliers. Even then there's quite a bit of variation in the quality of their works, based on budget/talent/crunchtime assigned to it.

A-1 Pictures and Production I.G have also done great stuff, but its mixed with lots of mediocre productions with low or lopsided budgets.

Then there's Studio Bind that seems to have been funded by a saudi prince for the explicit purpose of fully adapting Mushoku Tensei with movie-quality production values.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm a big fan of Studio Wix and Kyoto Ani, too.
Ufotable and Kyoto Ani are the two I'm aware of that are known for fair treatment of their animators. Others may be, but those are the two I always hear about.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Question involving manga spoilers brought on by something shown in the last episode.

It seems pretty clear that Tanjiro is manifesting another form of his Mark on his left cheek during this battle. I don't recall it in the manga, but in color it's pretty obvious. Has anyone seen discussion about this? I'm not finding anything online and I'm really curious if this is Ufotable taking liberties to put in an Easter egg.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

finally caught up with the anime and... holy poo poo, the animation quality and direction were just on a different level this last episode. that was perfect. really felt like it was longer than 20 minutes.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Question involving manga spoilers brought on by something shown in the last episode.

It seems pretty clear that Tanjiro is manifesting another form of his Mark on his left cheek during this battle. I don't recall it in the manga, but in color it's pretty obvious. Has anyone seen discussion about this? I'm not finding anything online and I'm really curious if this is Ufotable taking liberties to put in an Easter egg.

I assumed that was blood spatter/leakage from his eyes after overexerting/an abrasion from being punted down the street.

In other news, It was a good half an episode of Nezuko unleashed! I wish she'd gotten to say something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also the arrival of one of my favorite demon designs.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Madurai posted:

In other news, It was a good half an episode of Nezuko unleashed! I wish she'd gotten to say something.

I love the new Nezuko, just wish she could talk instead of being full berserk :(

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nezuko is far more like a cat than her namesake. Spends 90% of her time asleep in a box, occasionally wakes for affection or murder.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

I was not expecting the other demon to show up at all. I know we saw him briefly in the op but I kind of thought he was just going to be a throwaway villain to keep Tengen busy while the boy(s) (and girl) finish off Daki. Maybe that's what'll happen, they have to split up to take both demons down at once.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
This show makes all other visual media seem like steaming trash in comparison.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh no...

It's Evil Tanjiro with Zenitsu's hang ups :ohdear:

This week's Taisho's Secret is incredibly heartwarming. :unsmith:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A quote from him so you know exactly what kind of person he is.

quote:

"The sufferings of my past were lessons on what to do to others as revenge! If I don't cause misery equal to my own unhappiness, I'll never balance the scales! That's how it is when you're a demon! And we kill anyone who tries to tell us otherwise."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SchrodingersCat posted:

This show makes all other visual media seem like steaming trash in comparison.

There's other really good looking anime out there, but honestly Ufotable are monsters who make insanely good looking anime that put pretty much any other studio to shame and I enjoy every frame I get.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's other really good looking anime out there, but honestly Ufotable are monsters who make insanely good looking anime that put pretty much any other studio to shame and I enjoy every frame I get.

Tanjiro slashing his way through Daki's worm belt was absolute art..

One thing I'm really enjoying is that this fight features a woman fighting in a bra and panties, and somehow they animated it in such a way that there is absolutely zero sexualization.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

Overall better animated shows in recent memory I'd go with Jujutsu Kaisen, Mushoku Tensei, and WONDER EGG PRIORITY.

I feel ufotable overuse 3D relative to how well it actually integrates with their 2D animation, but their work is definitely consistently high quality. Even God Eater, their weakest showing in the last 10 years, was pretty good visually if nothing else.

Seems now that they've sorted out the embezzlement situation they might be taking in new projects (KnY appears to be an extant contract from before that went down). They recently announced a Mahoyo adaptation, which I hope doesn't go the way of Girl's Work.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The thing about ufotable is they have a consistent aesthetic between shows that holds even as the character design, animation quality, and art specifics change. You can look at their Fate stuff, God Eater, Demon Slayer, and Touken Ranbu and see and it's all got that cool CG coloring, less cool CG backgrounds and objects, and gnarly effects work.

It definitely lends it all a feeling of consistency you don't get from other studios, although whether or not that's a good thing compared to say a studio that can put out Ranking of Kings one season and then Attack on Titan in another (or at the same time as it were) is up to the individual.

I'm wondering how long it'll be until the next season once this run of episodes ends. On one hand, the manga is done so they know exactly how much they need to cover, but animation this sexy probably takes time...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

MonsterEnvy posted:

A quote from him so you know exactly what kind of person he is.

What subforum does he post in?

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Gologle posted:

What subforum does he post in?

CSPAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Elfface posted:

Nezuko is far more like a cat than her namesake. Spends 90% of her time asleep in a box, occasionally wakes for affection or murder.

Sorry, but you inspired me.