Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I could never figure out Kaiba from the very few episodes of the TV show I watched. It seemed like he was supposed to be kind of a bad guy... but also kind of a good guy?

Good to know he's just supposed to be a jerk. A competent jerk. I'm liking the guy so far! Yugi was kind of bland. Kaiba seems like the kind of guy who gets poo poo done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, Kaiba's essentially the arrogant shitlord that can (usually) actually back up his claims when push comes to shove.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Kaiba is genuinely, for a majority of the series, the most powerful duelist who is not powered by Ancient Egyptian magic, and without that caveat, is still solidly in the top 5, behind Yugi, Pegasus, Marik, and maybe Dark Bakura. Either way, those four fill out the other four top 5 slots, with Joey taking up #6. (Marik is mostly there because of how utterly absurd Ra actually is)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
And Pegasus is only on that list because he cheats like crazy with that Millennium Eye.

Which is kind of confusing, since Pegasus knowing his opponent's hand doesn't really help much unless he can draw the cards he needs to counter them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And Pegasus is only on that list because he cheats like crazy with that Millennium Eye.

Which is kind of confusing, since Pegasus knowing his opponent's hand doesn't really help much unless he can draw the cards he needs to counter them.

It's still a big advantage since he can guess his opponent's strategy as well as know if his opponent is currently capable of countering his tactics.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pegasus also made the game, and thus had the best cards. Toon World strategy in the anime is flat out ridiculous.
Knowing his opponents hand basically means he gets to play a puzzle game instead of a strategy game. "How do I win knowing my opponent has those cards, and I have these cards..."

It's really hard to say who has the most skill of any duelist.
Yugi and Pegasus cheat, Kaiba bought the best cards, Joey's strategy is extremely luck based, Marik has Ra which is its own tier of bullshit...

Nobody actually plays the game, they just all try to out cheat each other.

Kaiba is all around the most competent character in the series though.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Gensuki posted:

Nobody actually plays the game, they just all try to out cheat each other.

Weevil Threw away Exodia

Mai perfumed her cards

Espa had his brother spy for him

Rare Hunter (forgot if he had an actual name) put Ink on his cards to see when he would get Exodia

Those are the other non life threatening cheats I can think of. I know there were a lot of cases of ether threatening ether the lives of the dualist or a third party in most of battle city.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Duel Monsters was originally a thinly-veiled parody of Magic the Gathering called "Magic and Wizards", and Kaiba was based on a smug uber-nerd the author met once.

Kaiba was also originally supposed to be the heir of a game company who would keep challenging Dark Yugi with new games he invented himself, but the author got pressed for time and went with Duel Monsters again.

So I have to wonder if everybody being a big fat cheater (besides the Millenium item users, since they're the actual overarching plot of the manga - the Items "awakening" after Yugi solves the puzzle and seeking out the Pharaoh to challenge him) was Takahashi's take that for the series getting steered to CARD GAME IS LIFE

Sally Forth
Oct 16, 2012

mateo360 posted:

Those are the other non life threatening cheats I can think of. I know there were a lot of cases of ether threatening ether the lives of the dualist or a third party in most of battle city.

Or threatening to kill yourself if the other player doesn't let you win.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
In Kaiba's defense, his little brother's life was on the line. It's one of the few genuinely compassionate acts Kaiba does.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Speaking of old school Kaiba, Mokuba used to be just as sadistic. He doesn't have any brainwashing excuses though for why he mellowed out so much.

At least in this virtual reality game he doesn't have to be a Princess.

In fact, now I'm thinking Mokuba needs to run a pretty fairy princess team.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I like Marthis' design as well. Its kind of goofy I'll admit, but there's something abotu it that I like. Didn't he appear in another YGO game or two? He looks familiar. I played this game once or twice as a kid, but I swear I've seen him in something else.

He's an opponent in the PSX game, Forbidden Memories. The two random villagers fought in Kaiba's first mission are also opponents from that game. There's a lot of character designs re-used in Falsebound Kingdom.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheFattestPat posted:

Speaking of old school Kaiba, Mokuba used to be just as sadistic. He doesn't have any brainwashing excuses though for why he mellowed out so much.

I'm pretty sure he mellowed out after Yugi beat him in Death-T Round 4 and Kaiba sent those holograms to simulate death to Mokuba. After Yugi saved him, Mokuba realized that his brother was pretty crazy and likely started reforming once Kaiba's mind went back to normal.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

TheFattestPat posted:

In fact, now I'm thinking Mokuba needs to run a pretty fairy princess team.

So Dancing elf first, obviously. Do we have any other completely un-intimidating monsters, who also aren't stupid strong? (Kuriboh)

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Senerio posted:

with Joey taking up #6. (Marik is mostly there because of how utterly absurd Ra actually is)

Joey actually beat Marik, though, so he deserves a little better than #6 :colbert:

mateo360 posted:

Rare Hunter (forgot if he had an actual name) put Ink on his cards to see when he would get Exodia

This is a weird change they did in the anime that made no sense. In the manga the cards were specially made counterfeits that he could see through the backs of with his special contacts. Yugi tore them because they were counterfeit. Also, I think I mentioned that Yugi basically beat Arkana because Arkana filed the edge of his Dark Magician cards so he could guarantee they would be close to the top of his deck however he shuffled. The cards didn't like being defiled or something dumb like that.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm pretty sure he mellowed out after Yugi beat him in Death-T Round 4 and Kaiba sent those holograms to simulate death to Mokuba. After Yugi saved him, Mokuba realized that his brother was pretty crazy and likely started reforming once Kaiba's mind went back to normal.

Mokuba's story in the manga is a strange one. In his first appearance he plays Yugi in a game of Capsule Monster Chess, saying that if Yugi loses he'll cut off his pinkie. They steal a gashapon machine and rig it so Yugi gets lovely monsters and Mokuba gets good ones. When Dark Yugi wins, he does his usual brain washing on Mokuba and mentally 'traps' him in a gashapon capsule. His next appearance is to greet Yugi and his friends at the door to Death-T where he plays a game with them where they spin a thing on a table and eat whatever lands in front of them, with two food items being poisoned. He, of course, cheated and could control where things landed and had Joey poisoned first. Yugi figured it out and destroyed the switch, then Mokuba ate the poison. It was after Death-T 4 when Kaiba was going to leave him to experience death that he mellows out like you said.

E: Oh yeah, and in regards to Kaiba threatening suicide: In the anime that part makes Yugi not really trust Dark Yugi during the duel with Mai because Dark Yugi might ~pull some poo poo~. In the manga Yugi basically just tells Dark Yugi to cool it, but Dark Yugi is so focused on his eventual battle with Pegasus that he barely thinks about his duel with Mai and falls way behind and actually almost loses.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Silver Falcon posted:

I could never figure out Kaiba from the very few episodes of the TV show I watched. It seemed like he was supposed to be kind of a bad guy... but also kind of a good guy?

He's the cool rival character every story aimed at children is obliged to have.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hes like 5 or 10 (I dunno it's weird) and looks up to Kaiba like he's god.
Of course he'll ape big brother.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well that's an awful lot of backstory on the Kaiba brothers. :stare: I swear, I lose internet for a week and suddenly everyone forgets this isn't ADTRW.

Well whatever, I'll let it slide since it was pretty informative and it's not like I could have posted an update in the meantime. The vote should be up soon, probably within a couple hours, then we'll get this train rolling again.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We've got a whole laundry list of things to get through today, so strap in.

First up, we have the man himself. Kaiba is our protagonist, and it should come as no surprise that like Yugi, he is the best at everything. His focus is a little different (HP/BP, as opposed to Yugi's AP/BP), but otherwise there are no surprises here.

His orb starts off matching that of the Blue Eyes, of course.

Crawling Dragon is an interesting monster, because his stats vary so wildly based on who has him. As far as I can tell, his base peak stats are somewhere around 2500 HP, 3700/3500, and 8 AP. However, toss him on Kaiba and those numbers shoot up to 4700/4500. Give him to Marthis and it goes to 10 AP, but the ATK/DEF stay the same.

At any rate, it's kinda academic to argue about because he's not going to be with us for very long. His only ability is Mountain-Adept, and by tossing a Call of the Grave at him, we can turn him into the much more useful Dragon Zombie.

Crawling Dragon has a fairly large amount of HP, but that’s not terribly unusual for a dragon. Looking forward to seeing Dragon Zombie on someone’s team.

Spellcasters come in two varieties: Those who get L3+ Magic, and those that don't. Unfortunately for Saggi, he falls squarely into the latter category. While he does get Magic Craft, L2 Magic only gets you two really useful spells - Quick Attack (gives 1 AP to the entire team) and Germ Infection, and without a Raimei to back it up, Germ Infection isn't going to strike fear into anyone.

Statwise he's not too bad, topping out at 1500 HP, 3900/4800, 8 AP. A little fragile, but with a Book of Secret Arts behind him, he can do some decent damage. Just remember that everywhere that you could use Saggi, you could be using Dark Elf instead.

The main reason Kaiba even uses Saggi in the anime is to be the delivery mechanism for his Crush Card Virus, a strategy he enjoyed all too much. It did nearly get him his rear end kicked at one point, though.

Finally, we have the Hitotsu-Me Giant. While he's thoroughly mediocre on his own (1950 HP, 4500/4300, 6 AP), you can get a lot of mileage out of the fact that he's considered a Warrior-type monster. Toss a Silver Bow and Arrow/Sword of Dragon Soul/Deal of Phantom on him, and you fix pretty much all of his problems. Really, his issues stem from the same place as Saggi's - for any team you can make use of the cyclops in, you could just as easily sub in Panther Warrior and get way better results.

That tends to be the problem when a game has six or seven times the maximum amount of monsters you can deploy. Some of them just end up being okay, but not the best (and therefore harder to justify using).

If the role of "primary exposition fountain" didn't tip you off, Marthis is Kaiba's Shimon. He's mandatory for the first several missions, but thankfully he's out of our hair much faster than Shimon was. His stats cap out at 9/9/9, but they do grow rather slowly, so don't count on them too much.

At least conversations with Marthis have already been more amusing than any of Shimon’s were.

Dark Plant. loving Dark Plant. I mean, Jesus, where do I even begin? He's awful - possibly the worst in the entire game. His stats ultimately come out to about 1700 HP, 3000/3100, 6 AP, and his basic attack inflicts poison. L1 Magic might as well not even exist, and Forest-Adept is probably second only to Water-Adept in how little you'll actually get to use it.

I actually went looking to see if I could find anything to match his relative level of shittiness, and the best I can come up with is Aqua Dragon, which is both a water monster and a dragon (which is sort of like picking a fight with a handicapped person), and even then the dragon has 2000 ATK/DEF on the flower in base stats. As a direct analogue, the next closest are Shadow Specter and Larvae Moth, both of which have more AP, ~600 more ATK, and similar or more HP.

What I'm saying is "Don't use Dark Plant." If you want to inflict poison, there are a million better ways to do it, and...well, I can't think of any other reason why you would ever consider using Dark Plant.

Moving on, Dark King of the Abyss is probably the best monster of the entire lot that we start with. At minimum, you're looking at 2000 HP, 4400/4000, 7 AP, Night-Adept, L4 Magic, and a special that targets the entire enemy team and reduces ATK to boot. It's not quite the complete package, but he comes pretty close and with a Black Pendant to beef him up, you'd have something pretty scary on your hands.

I suppose the best point of comparison here would be with The Illusory Gentleman. Actually, you could probably argue for using the two of them together.

Water Girl brings up the rear, and she suffers from being a late bloomer more than anything. Despite only having 2 AP at L30, she'll actually end up with a 1700 HP, 4500/4300, 7 AP line - a little fragile, but one hell of a turnaround from where she starts. Her only ability is L2 Magic, but if you're willing to put up with her slow start, there are definitely worse spellcasters out there.

Those are some surprisingly skewed growths. I’m not sure we’ve seen another monster that’s done that.

There's not much to say about Mokuba, he's basically Fizdis except not poo poo. We're not going to get a whole lot of use out of Discount this time around, but his 9/9/9 spread means that at least he's not a total slouch in combat.

Thanks again to the thread for telling us that both Kaiba brothers were terrible people in the early manga.

Three-Headed Geedo is surprisingly quick for a fiend, coming in at 2000 HP, 4000/4200, 8 AP. And it's a good thing that he is, because he's not going to wow you with his attack ("good chance" of reducing AP) or his abilities (Night-Adept). Honestly, the Geedo is just kind of there, hoping to be picked if Summoned Skull or Dark King of the Abyss is already on someone's team. There's nothing wrong with him, but he's not going to blow you away either.

I’m really not sure what the inspiration was for this monster.

And speaking of mediocre, we have the Armored Lizard. Actually, mediocre might be a bit too positive for something whose sole claim to fame is that he gets Armor. Combined with 2100 HP, he can be a nasty little bugger to kill, but with 3500/3200 and 6 AP, he doesn't exactly have a fearsome counterattack. If you need a tanky beast, stick with Mystic Horseman.

Last but not least, the humble Zarigun. He packs a surprising punch given his rather weak start (1650 HP, 3900/4000, 8 AP), and his low HP is bolstered by both Lucky and Armor. He's not going to find a home in any serious team, but he's pretty viable if you wanted to do something stupid like a seafood team (Zarigun, Kanikabuto, Fiend Kraken/Octoberser).

And before you even try, I'm preemptively vetoing that team, so don't waste your votes.

Smart man.

But wait, there's more! Our first new recruit is Berfomet, and he's rather disappointing. His stats leave a bit to be desired (2000 HP, 3400/3800, 7 AP), but he has a nice set of abilities (Field/Forest/Road-Adept) and we can finally fuse Chimera for all that's worth. His movement speed isn't too bad either, so if you do plan on having him stick around, he makes a pretty good leader.

Ryu-Kishin Powered is fundamentally in the same boat as Three-Headed Geedo. There's nothing terribly wrong with him, but his stats are far from amazing (2000 HP, 3600/3200, 6 AP) and all he's bringing to the table is Night-Adept. The 2 AP start doesn't help his case, but the sad thing is that he really doesn't need to make one. If you're starting a fresh Kaiba campaign, this is it. This post is all of the monsters you have for some of the hardest maps in the game (relative to when they happen), and if your choices are Ryu-Kishin Powered or Dark Plant? I know which one I'd pick every time.

Also, note that the game has given both of these new monsters to Artix at level one, just because. :v:

Now for teams...gently caress, where do we even start with teams? This is NG+, but at the same time we can't just keep using all of our teams from Yugi's campaign. To keep things as authentic as possible, monsters from Kaiba's campaign get priority over the ones we carried over from Yugi's, but if a monster is particularly awful, I have no problem with dipping into our backlog. So with that in mind, let's build some teams.

Kaiba

Saggi is the only one in dire need of replacing, but really, Kaiba's not hurting too much. If it comes down to it, his team will be the easiest to fix up by giving them some equipment. If he doesn't get anyone new, turning Crawling Dragon into Dragon Zombie will immediately give him a leg up anyway, so Kaiba is really our lowest priority here.

Mokuba

While Three-Headed Geedo and Armored Lizard aren't amazing, if we toss a Black Pendant/Beast Fangs on them, they'll be able to hold their own for now. Zarigun is a different story. A pair of Beast Fangs would bring him up to speed, but his HP is still really low and Lucky will only get him so far.

Marthis

Marthis needs a lot of help, and he needs it fast. Dark Plant is out, no question, and Aqua Girl getting the boot would be totally justified as well. Given that his orb color is pretty close to what Shimon's was, and we did just get Berfomet, he wouldn't be a bad host for Chimera. Regardless, Dark King of the Abyss is definitely staying, since he needs something reliable to hold his team together.

Monsters of Note in our Backlog
Winged Dragon (L31) - 1096 HP, 2220/2043, 3 AP, Blue Orb
Harpie's Pet Dragon (L30) - 2022 HP, 3417/3895, 4 AP, Mountain-Adept, Pink Orb
Dark Elf (L36) - 1767 HP, 3654/2455, 5 AP, Night, Purple Orb
The Illusory Gentleman (L36)- 1565 HP, 3148/3276, 7 AP, Night, Yellow Orb
Giltia the D. Knight (L24) - 1273 HP, 2494/2157, 3 AP, Road, White Orb
Gazelle (L34) - 1143 HP, 2585/2310, 3 AP, Field, Forest, Brown Orb
Dark Witch (L15) - 1352 HP, 2505/2405, 3 AP, White Orb
King of Yamimakai (L26) - 1482 HP, 2702/2219, 3 AP, Night, Brown Orb
Labyrinth Tank (L29) - 1974 HP, 3872/3841, 4 AP, Castle, Blue Orb
Machine King (L35) - 1688 HP, 2902/2702, 3 AP, Road, Blue Orb
Dragon Zombie (will remove Crawling Dragon) - 2081 HP, 2740/1118, 6 AP, Wasteland, Night, Brown Orb

God, this place again? Have at it folks.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Swap Dark Plant for Illusory Gentleman and Water Girl for... I dunno, Labyrinth Tank

Give Kaiba Dragon Zombie, because I like dragons, and I like zombies :colbert:

Mokuba needs an overpowered team of girly monsters, like say... the Harpy Ladies :unsmigghh: (Don't do this)

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Artix posted:

The main reason Kaiba even uses Saggi in the anime is to be the delivery mechanism for his Crush Card Virus, a strategy he enjoyed all too much. It did nearly get him his rear end kicked at one point, though.

As I recall, the first appearance of Saggi was actually in one of his and Yugi's first two duels in the manga, and it was not for crush card delivery. I think it was the second, because he uses it in the first episode of the show.

As for Crush Card delivery system, I believe he tried that combo three times. The first was of course his duel with Yugi on the castle, where it actually worked but Yugi bullshitted his way around it. Kaiba still technically won that duel, so yay? for him I guess. The second time he tried it was against Pegasus, but Pegasus used Megamorph or something on Saggi to raise its attack power so Crush Card wouldn't work with it (Crush Card only works on monsters with less that 1000 or 1500 or something ATK, Saggi has 800). The final time was in his duel against Ishizu in Battle City, where he used it in addition to some card that does the same thing to an opponents magic cards, but she used some card to swap each players deck with their graveyard so she wound up with her whole deck back while his only had like 4 cards.

Artix posted:

Well that's an awful lot of backstory on the Kaiba brothers. :stare: I swear, I lose internet for a week and suddenly everyone forgets this isn't ADTRW.

Sorry about all of this, if you want me to stop I will :shobon:

Anyway, I definitely vote for the switch to Dragon Zombie, and give Chimera to Marthis.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Speaking of terrible, terrible monsters, how's Skull Servant in this game?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

dis astranagant posted:

Speaking of terrible, terrible monsters, how's Skull Servant in this game?

If only King of the Skull Servants was out by the time of this game, then we could laugh at Skull Servant being better anyway somehow.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I want to see Chimera, so lets throw him somewhere.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

I want to see Chimera, so lets throw him somewhere.

seconded

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Upgrade to Dragon Zombie. Leave Saggi for now unless it starts dragging.

Give Mokuba Harpie's Dragon because Mai is never, ever going to use it again and slap some equips on the other two he already has.

Then let Marthis get Chimera's materials.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Hoo boy. All right Artix,let me see if I can get a suggestion for every team.

1. Kaiba
Slot A: Dragon Zombie (Replacing Crawling Dragon)
Slot Y: Giltia the D. Knight (Replacing Giant)
Slot X: Dark Elf (Replacing Saggi)

2. Mokuba
Slot A: Labyrinth Tank (Replacing Armored Lizard)
Slot Y: The Illusory Gentleman (Replacing Three-Headed Geddo)
Slot X: Machine King (Replacing Zarigun)

3. Marthis
Slot A: Dark King of the Abyss
Slot Y: Chimera (Replacing Dark Plant)
Slot X: King of Yamimakai (Replacing Aqua Girl)

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Man, Mokuba needs a Fiend Team: The Gent, Dark King, and the court jester, Saggi.
Kaiba is team dragon. I don't care as long as it is dragons all the way down.
Marthis is our Freak Team: Chimera and Geedo.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Man, Mokuba needs a Fiend Team: The Gent, Dark King, and the court jester, Saggi.

Yeah, this sounds good.

As for the safari, I'm going to go against my first thoughts and say there are no monsters in this level. There are eleven missions with no monsters and probably between 20-22 missions left, so I have about a 50-50 chance of being right :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...It's not been stated that the Blue-Eyes are story-based. It would not surprise me that they need finding. I say One monster is here.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GrizzlyCow posted:

I'll go with this, with the added caveat that we zombify Kaiba's Crawling Dragon.

Bloodly posted:

...It's not been stated that the Blue-Eyes are story-based. It would not surprise me that they need finding. I say One monster is here.

Likewise, I'll go with this except with the addition that it's a monster you can't get yet because you need another Blue Eyes to do it with.

As for location? Directly above the center-most town.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Kaiba goes dragons in preparation for the BEWDs, so make Dragon Zombie and swap Saggi for Winged Dragon.

GrizzlyCow posted:

:effort:

Guessing that since it's this early into Kaiba's story they can't be too dickish with monster placements yet, right?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Can we Give Mokuba the Dark and Dancing Elves?

I don't know if we have mystical Elf yet, but if we did, that's a fair spot for Mokuba too.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

Level Seven posted:

Kaiba goes dragons in preparation for the BEWDs, so make Dragon Zombie and swap Saggi for Winged Dragon

Sounds good for Kaiba.

For Marthis, Swap out Dark Plant for The Illusory Gentleman, and let's make Chimera (I'm not sure how he's made, so if that's applicable to have both of them, let's do that)

For Mokuba swap Zarigun for Labyrinth Tank, let's also throw Dark Elf onto him, and swap out three-headed Geedo for it. Finally, let's give him machine king over armored lizard

Do those sound good?

Also, wandering monster... hmmm.... Ohhh let's say about here-ish

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Gensuki posted:

Can we Give Mokuba the Dark and Dancing Elves?

I don't know if we have mystical Elf yet, but if we did, that's a fair spot for Mokuba too.

We don't have Mystical Elf, and even if we did I wouldn't do that team (yet) because Dancing Elf is really loving broken.

In other news, voting will be closed as soon as I get off work tomorrow (~15 hours as of this post). Assuming the voting stands as is, we'll be upgrading Seto to Dragon Zombie, Mokuba is getting fiends, and Marthis is getting the material for Chimera.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
I agree, Kaiba should always have a team full of dragons.

Monster location? One, directly south of the starting town.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of hilarious that Kaiba's first opponent basically looks like a beggar who's somehow managed to get monsters following his orders.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

...Imperial Guard. Instead, the resistance started attacking small imperial security forces across the continent. The Empire has been unable to restore public order.

Thieves are taking advantage of the situation, forcing the Emperor to send Kaiba to restore order in the Empire. The Emperor gave the Imperial Guard direct orders to subdue a particularly nasty group called the "Bandits".

"The Bandits"? Really? Could you have picked a more :effort: name?

Pretty sure you couldn’t get more literal or :effort: than that. That takes a special kind of stupidity.

"The Bandits" seem to be focusing their activities on Vaxi Island. We cannot give these thieves their run of the Empire. We must stop them.

I suppose you have a plan?

We will pretend to be a supply unit transporting goods along the Central Way road on Vaxi Island. If we make it look like we're unprotected, they're sure to attack. That's when we turn the tables on them. It should be easy for one of your...talents. Heh heh heh...

Hmph.

You know, I do have to give Marthis credit. For as much as he's antagonizing Kaiba, his plans are surprisingly solid.

I suppose you have to be at least somewhat clever and/or underhanded to attend strategy meetings alongside the Emperor.

Our teams, ladies and gents. Unless there's some major opposition, we'll be using these guys for the next couple maps.

Oh no! No one said he was going to be here! Do something, boss!

Shut up, you fool! You know what he's like. We don't stand a chance against him! So if we can't beat him, let's at least give him something to remember us by!

That's the spirit, boss!

So...yeah. Meet "The Bandits". :what:

Yep, that explains it.

...Wait a minute. He’s not wearing the American flag! That’s the Union Jack. :psyduck:

First thing we're going to do is send Marthis over to Dyethruo. Once we take that, Bonz will come out to attack him, and Mokuka and Seto can go take care of Bandit Keith.

Blah blah equipment tutorial

And sure enough, Bonz is on the move. He'll get to Marthis just before Mokuba reaches Bandit Keith, so we should be done with this fairly quickly.

If it wasn’t obvious from his ghoulish appearance and silly name, Bonz was the zombie-themed duelist of the show.

With you at my side, I feel like I can do anything, boss!

So, Bonz. This is one of the fights that's much easier in NG than in NG+, even with our super-overpowered monsters.

The main reason for that is all of his monsters have their effects now. Midnight Fiend can inflict poison, and The Snake Hair and Phantom Dewan do paralysis. While it's no Raimei-Germ Infection, it's still quite a potent combo.

Fortunately, the AI can't even manage that, and spends 90% of the fight keeping Gazelle paralyzed.

He pulls through, though. Let's get some revenge for that.

Chimera is certainly nothing new, nor is he the most intimidating fusion out there. That said, he's pretty impressive right now. He does more damage than either of his material *coughRabidHorsemancough*, has more AP than his material combined, and his attack is undodgeable to boot. As far as we're concerned, this is a Good Fusion™.

Is it better than Thousand Dragon and its materials? Yes? Good Fusion™.

Unsurprisingly, he makes short work of Bonz. On to Bandit Keith!

Do these imperial dogs really think they can defeat me?

Cyber Commander is the only monster of note on his team, and it's only because of his medicine. He doesn't even have his power-up special yet.

Well, Robotic Knight does have considerably more health than the other two. That’s almost something of note.

And as before, Mokuba sets them up for Seto to finish the job.

Remind me to replace you with Curse of Dragon next map.

Dharma Cannon there is another one of those really weird monster ideas.

That's far enough. Surrender now.

You're not going to take me in! Catch you later! If you're still alive that is! Ha ha ha ha!

Boss! Don't leave me behind!

We failed to catch the leader. His underling will just have to take twice the punishment, then.

No, wait! Please forgive me! I don't want to die! I'll work for the Empire if you let me live! Pleeeeeease!

Hah! The Empire has no need for your kind! The only thing the Emperor expects from you is your head on a platter!

I don't want to die! Spare me! Have Mercy!

I suppose so. He might prove useful.

What? He's guilty of treason against the Empire! If he is not executed, what becomes of the law?

What of the law? You destroy for your own pleasure, not because the law demands it. I've made up my mind. I will accept responsibility for this man. Is that a problem for you, Marthis?

Kaiba!

I'm in charge here. Disobeying your commanding officer is a serious military crime, if I'm not mistaken.

...You'll pay for this, Kaiba. Oh, you'll pay...

I may not be very strong, but I am a marshal! I'll do anything for you!

And that's a wrap for mission 2. Next time: We begin the actual meat of Kaiba’s story.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
What? Kaiba was merciful to someone? AND Bandit Keith has a Union Jack bandana?

This really is Bizarro World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Guys I don't think that's Bandit Keith. He's not American. :stare:
But yay... new Marshal who... is a zombie user... meh. It'll get better guys. Don't worry.... I hope.

• Locked thread