Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
If Fuji TV ever decides to distribute Game Center in the west i will happily give them my money because i've grown to love watching Arino stumble his way through old obtuse games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Buy the DVDs.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

victrix posted:

I'll poke around in some more FF centric threads, maybe someone there knows, thanks!

I sure hope you come back and see this at some point, but Playasia is selling those and I think they ship overseas. I believe most people here can vouch for their reputation and I import games from them once in a while.

http://www.play-asia.com/Final_Fantasy_25th_Memorial_Ultimania_Vol.1/paOS-13-71-lu-49-en-70-5pk5.html
http://www.play-asia.com/Final_Fantasy_25th_Memorial_Ultimania_Vol.2/paOS-13-71-lu-49-en-70-5pk7.html
http://www.play-asia.com/Final_Fantasy_25th_Memorial_Ultimania_Vol.3/paOS-13-71-lu-49-en-70-5pk9.html

It's still not cheap (I think it's MSRB + import tax markup) and shipping prices is probably going to kill you though... but probably more reasonable than what EBay is asking for it, I assume.

(Personally, I live in Asia and got them through a speciality shop and it still isn't cheap for me)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Does anyone know of a good video converter so I can put episodes on my IPod?

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Does anyone know of a good video converter so I can put episodes on my IPod?

I think Handbrake has presets specifically for iPod.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've almost completely cleared the backlog of episodes I had built up, all I've really got left is Yoshi's Island. How much will watching these episodes ruin the game for me? Should I wait until after I have beaten the game to watch them?

Also, +1 to Handbrake, it's a nice easy way to transcode for personal use.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Xik posted:

I've almost completely cleared the backlog of episodes I had built up, all I've really got left is Yoshi's Island. How much will watching these episodes ruin the game for me? Should I wait until after I have beaten the game to watch them?

Also, +1 to Handbrake, it's a nice easy way to transcode for personal use.

Long games like Yoshis Island, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, etc are really just boss fight montages + critical points arino cant pass. These games have 20+ hours of gameplay in them, so a two hour recap is really just 10% of the experience.

The yoshis island episodes really prove it, the narrative is pretty much "Arino beat 3-1, then 3-2, then 3-3!" and shows a yoshi passing off mario to another yoshi over and over until they have something interesting to film, like a hard level or a boss.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 13, 2013

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Smornstein posted:

If Fuji TV ever decides to distribute Game Center in the west i will happily give them my money because i've grown to love watching Arino stumble his way through old obtuse games.

Here you go.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I was wondering if we're going to get a proper sub of Golgo 13, for some reason the font that Clover uses for the subbing is not really easy on the eyes, sorta like Tv-Nihon's

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meme Emulator posted:

The yoshis island episodes really prove it, the narrative is pretty much "Arino beat 3-1, then 3-2, then 3-3!" and shows a yoshi passing off mario to another yoshi over and over until they have something interesting to film, like a hard level or a boss.
Yeah, I wish they'd break those glossed-over bits up with even just like ten to fifteen seconds of very light reaction poo poo, even if it's very a predictable kind of

"Suddenly..."
"UWA!!!!"
*Link gets run over by the huge Goron*

I mean, I edit freelance; it's not hard to trim fifteen seconds from somewhere else, but I guess the problem then lies with matching Kibe's script.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Meme Emulator posted:

Long games like Yoshis Island, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, etc are really just boss fight montages + critical points arino cant pass. These games have 20+ hours of gameplay in them, so a two hour recap is really just 10% of the experience.

That's cool, thanks. Comparing it to LTTP is good for me, I watched that episode before beating it and that didn't really bother me so it should be fine.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

Xik posted:

That's cool, thanks. Comparing it to LTTP is good for me, I watched that episode before beating it and that didn't really bother me so it should be fine.

One thing I will warn about, the boss battles in Yoshi's Island are some of the most memorable parts of the game, especially the last boss. They all have their own mechanics you need to figure out to beat, and those of course are all spoiled (not that they're terribly hard to figure out).
The show obviously also spoils what happens in the story, and regardless of how the challenge goes they always still show the ending. They don't show every level or many bonus games and other such things though, so there will still be a lot of stuff you don't see.

Edit: VV haha no, not so much. I mostly just mean the ending, which while still not much in the way for story some people prefer to see them for themselves.

TemporalParadox fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 13, 2013

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
There's... not exactly a whole lot of STORY to Yoshi's Island, so to speak...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
You should forget any tv shows exist and go play Yoshi's Island.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

bpc908 posted:

I was wondering if we're going to get a proper sub of Golgo 13, for some reason the font that Clover uses for the subbing is not really easy on the eyes, sorta like Tv-Nihon's

It's a proper fuckin' sub alright. The people at Over-Time are legit as gently caress. The fact that you don't "like" (and I'm saying it like this because it's likely a problem with the font rendering) shouldn't discredit the effort that went into it. Also more often than not the font problem is on your end. Because this is how it's supposed to look.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 13, 2013

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I'll clarify what Uznare said, a little less abrasively:

GCCX subs are "hardsubs" which mean the on screen text is built right into the video stream, which means you can play it back on any device, anywhere, and the subs show up. Clover used "softsubs" which means the subtitle file is added into the MKV and it is up to whatever you play the file back on to parse the lines of text and then render them on screen. The subtitle file in the MKV can offer suggestions and recommendations about font size, color, and type, but your player can override them. You should look into the options for whatever software/device you are playing the episode with and see if you can specify a font that you do like.

Also, neither method is "right" or "wrong" or good or bad. Both approaches are perfectly valid.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

elf help book posted:

You should forget any tv shows exist and go play Yoshi's Island.

I'm halfway through a couple of other games at the moment but Yoshi's Island is next on my list.

TemporalParadox posted:

One thing I will warn about, the boss battles in Yoshi's Island are some of the most memorable parts of the game, especially the last boss. They all have their own mechanics you need to figure out to beat, and those of course are all spoiled (not that they're terribly hard to figure out).

Alright, you've just convinced me not to watch it until I've beaten it. I'll hurry up and play the other games I have going on at the moment and beat Yoshi's Island.

Uznare posted:

It's a proper fuckin' sub alright. The people at Over-Time are legit as gently caress. The fact that you don't "like" (and I'm saying it like this because it's likely a problem with the font rendering) shouldn't discredit the effort that went into it. Also more often than not the font problem is on your end. Because this is how it's supposed to look.

I don't really think it's "suppose" to look any way. I'm pretty sure the subs in that episode aren't hardcoded and will be displayed however you have configure them to be displayed. If it isn't readable then you just have to adjust it in your player the way you like it.

e: Beaten by xamphear who explained it better then me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, in terms of Hard vs Soft subs; Hard Subs (The sort Team SA are want to produce) already have everything rendered ready to play and can play on relatively low end hardware (and even non-computers if you're feeling particularly frisky) and Soft-subs (Which clover and all other fansubers use) are basically a set of subtitle instructions (and fonts, pictures, etc) baked into a file with the raw to render on the user end are are for Mid-High end systems (with very low to non existent non PC support available).

Whilst Hard Subs are fine, they have a bad rap chiefly though them being the type of choice of TV Nihon who are want to use them to add lovely adobe after effect text and to hard-lock their nonsensical transliterations to the files.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 13, 2013

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
As useful as hardsubs are, I've always though it's kind of a shame that SA Team deals in them exclusively-- it would be nice to be able to go in and remove all the name localization stuff that I personally find disagreeable while still keeping the essence of the translation, for my own use when rewatching.

I mean, I suppose I could still do that by transcribing all the subs and noting down the timing, but it's a lot more work than changing a few lines in softsubs.

Son Ryo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 13, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Well it clearly bothers you that much because the only time you post in this thread is to moan about some inane poo poo that only you care about.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Well it clearly bothers you that much because the only time you post in this thread is to moan about some inane poo poo that only you care about.

There's really no need for the rudeness, we were just having a nice discussion about hardsubs and softsubs. There's no need for hostility

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

My post had absolutely nothing to do with that subject.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Travel back in time. A place where 8-bit games still sell for the suggested retail price. A place where someone can be so ugly the ancient Chinese character for poison is used to describe them. A place somewhere around March 1989. Non-challenge segments from Episode 81: Battle Golfer Yui. Brought to you by zari-gani, who can work around the YouTube takedowns by sending each individual video frame by fax.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 122.79 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Thank you, SA Team, yet again. It nice to finally say thanks to you guys right here. Excited to see what strategy guide we get advice from this time.

RedFive
Feb 20, 2003

What is the SAGCCX fax number? I need to send drawings of appreciation right away!!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I just tried to watch the DVD episodes and oh my god :psyduck: the English narrator is terrible and I don't think I can watch GCCX for a few days because of it. I need to get subs on some raws for those god drat.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

ACID POLICE posted:

I just tried to watch the DVD episodes and oh my god :psyduck: the English narrator is terrible and I don't think I can watch GCCX for a few days because of it. I need to get subs on some raws for those god drat.

Watch the DVD Episodes with the Japanese Narrator and the subs by Zari-gani, she did them for the DVD

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

ACID POLICE posted:

You can turn the English guy off, it's in the options.

InsaneDavid
Oct 22, 2012

ACID POLICE posted:

Just change the audio option to Japanese and turn subtitles on.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
This thread. I can't believe half of the posts are from people who want to complain about localizations and people who post about how the DVDs are awful or they want to support the show but refuse to buy the DVDs or... just ugh.

With that out of the way, thank you guys so much for the new segments, this is the highlight of my day so far, I think!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

univbee posted:

Travel back in time. A place where 8-bit games still sell for the suggested retail price. A place where someone can be so ugly the ancient Chinese character for poison is used to describe them. A place somewhere around March 1989. Non-challenge segments from Episode 81: Battle Golfer Yui. Brought to you by zari-gani, who can work around the YouTube takedowns by sending each individual video frame by fax.
I love the Everything You Need to Know segments. They're just so relaxing and somewhat dramatic what with the music.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Speaking of awesome side segments, awhile back the SAGCCX team put out a compilation video with all the Ring Ring Tactics segments put together. I think it'd be pretty cool to see the same thing done with the Strategy Guide segment and especially To Catch a Catch Copy. Of course, I realize the team already has plans and projects in motion, but I just wanted to throw it out there as a vote of interest if nothing else.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Speaking of awesome side segments, awhile back the SAGCCX team put out a compilation video with all the Ring Ring Tactics segments put together. I think it'd be pretty cool to see the same thing done with the Strategy Guide segment and especially To Catch a Catch Copy. Of course, I realize the team already has plans and projects in motion, but I just wanted to throw it out there as a vote of interest if nothing else.

The reason for the Ring Ring Tactics Compilation is that it was a feature on the Japanese DVDs. It is the DVD feature that was subbed.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

joek0 posted:

The reason for the Ring Ring Tactics Compilation is that it was a feature on the Japanese DVDs. It is the DVD feature that was subbed.

Oh, I see. I didn't realize that. In that case, I suppose I hope they do something similar to that for a DVD over there that the SAGCCX team can then translate.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Has there ever been an arcade trip to a place that Arino has gone to before when he was younger?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
If you have the time and :effort:, you could always make a fan-made compilation though! I'd watch it.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

To Catch a Catch Copy is basically the cutest, most charming segment in the universe and I want to play it with my friends.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

ACID POLICE posted:

If you have the time and :effort:, you could always make a fan-made compilation though! I'd watch it.

I'm already making a fan-made compilation of the Tamages

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Nayato posted:

To Catch a Catch Copy is basically the cutest, most charming segment in the universe and I want to play it with my friends.

I really liked it when the announcer was teasing Nakayama for not making eye contact/always looking at the camera, and then when he looked at her shes all "Nice to meet you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Bought the DVD. It owns. GCCX on my TV is a nice change of pace.