Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

its really hard to not kill someone with a sharp object

I dunno, I do it every day, doesn't seem too hard to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Entropic posted:

It seems like you could still pretty easily get shot in the eye with a "fake" bullet or fall off a cliff or get knifed by another guest.

Pretty much. It fits thematically though. Some guests aren't there to tourist their way through the wild west.

The beginner area is low on violence, safe geographically/structurally and there's a robot sheriff along with bystander bots everywhere to jump in front of a guest if one tries to stab another. The further out you go, the greater danger there is of you falling off a cliff, stepping on a rusty nail, taking a stray "rubber" bullet to the eye, or being stripped naked by another guest and sent away butt naked on a horse.

I got the impression the outside world is so decadent that there's rich people willing to pay for a life threatening situation just to feel alive, and the Westworld owners aren't held accountable if someone disappears in the park. That sort of setting would explain why the pervert tech guy still had his job. The outside world is in full debauchery mode and no one gives a poo poo about anyone.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 16, 2017

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
So, I want to be clear, you're all willing to accept ALL the robots, living tissue, size of the park, sentient AI, etc. but we're about to get into another 4 pages of gun chat?

There is more gun chat in this thread than in the average TFR thread.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

FunOne posted:

So, I want to be clear, you're all willing to accept ALL the robots, living tissue, size of the park, sentient AI, etc. but we're about to get into another 4 pages of gun chat?

In some ways it's easier to accept that stuff because it's less accessible. I don't know how to program AI in current gen video game so I don't know how the AI in the show might work. I know how guns and swords work.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

FunOne posted:

While all that ios also impossible for current tech, magical selective bullets are far more absurd than a big parks or intelligent robots

Besides, we dont have anything else to talk about here, have we

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly this show made me appreciate 70s Westworld more. It was a really ahead of it's time movie, and the fact it originated the name and very concept computer viruses is pretty awesome (though I suppose that goes to the book first). The show clearly expanded on a ton and has it's own tone, but more or less they did a great job keeping the core universe intact.

It's just a shame Future World is such a massive, massive what the gently caress mess. There were tons of good ideas buried in a script that changes it's mind every 30 seconds and one of the most "What, huh, what the gently caress?" endings I've ever seen, including teleporting Samauri and erotic dreams with the gunslinger. It's worth watching once (just to see the first ever movie CGI) and has some legitimately decent ideas at it's core but it feels like 10 movies with 3/4 of their reels missing.

ED: Technically the first Westworld had the first CGI in a movie, but Future World had the first 3D rendered animation in a movie. It's one claim to history.

Catsplosion posted:

In a universe where sentient hosts / AI are a thing I think people are getting hung up on details that aren't important and could easily be explained with a simple 'future technology' answer.

Honestly I don't know why they didn't just straight up take the explanation from the 70s Westworld and say the guns have a sensor that simply won't let them fire at guests (though they claimed it was because of heat, and the ones on the show have body heat). It'd make it far less of a thing.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 16, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Because getting shot (but not dying) is more fun.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Only the Holodeck seems to offer feasible explanation.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

In some ways it's easier to accept that stuff because it's less accessible. I don't know how to program AI in current gen video game so I don't know how the AI in the show might work. I know how guns and swords work.

But you don't know how future guns/swords work.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The androids are the most magical thing in the show by far, we accept them because scifi movies have been doing them for decades because androids are super-cheap and low-tech for film. We're used to them because of familiarity as viewers, not because we know or don't know how things work.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 17, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also how come the guns appear to have cartridges?

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008
Maybe the clothes that are offered to every guest at the start have God Mode enabled.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly this show made me appreciate 70s Westworld more. It was a really ahead of it's time movie, and the fact it originated the name and very concept computer viruses is pretty awesome (though I suppose that goes to the book first). The show clearly expanded on a ton and has it's own tone, but more or less they did a great job keeping the core universe intact.

There actually isn't a Westworld book. Michael Crichton wrote and directed the movie.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

and the fact it originated the name and very concept computer viruses is pretty awesome (though I suppose that goes to the book first)

Uhh this is not correct? It mentions that it seems to be infectious to the Hosts, but the term computer virus was not used until years later.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have heard that too - it didn't coin the term "computer virus", but it was one of the first things to convey the idea of them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Phanatic posted:

"This is how you communicate with a fellow goon: You hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the speech from the screams."

:allears:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
btw I still think that the endgame of Delos is to work out a way of uploading human brains into host bodies (and pass over authentication keys and stock portfolios).

Because host bodies are immortal.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

IconicIronic posted:

Maybe the clothes that are offered to every guest at the start have God Mode enabled.

Ah, the Girls und Panzer route.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Look if you can make a .45 bullet nonlethal you can also make a tank shell nonlethal as well

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Because host bodies are immortal.

Key word being bodies, their mind can be wiped easily.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Alhazred posted:

A major theme of the first season is that they can remember things even after their minds have been wiped though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That's just because they only do a quick wipe, though, not the seven-pass or whatever the hardcore one is.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Most confusing for me is that the fact that the "lobotomy" process, which is irreversible, is something done physically to the host brain, while at the same time we are told that even the complete destruction of the host body is no big deal, since they can just print a new one

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If you drill a hole into your motherboard your graphics card still works fine if you take it out

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pik_d posted:

A major theme of the first season is that they can remember things even after their minds have been wiped though.

In Maeve's case it's yet to be revealed if there was a fault with her mindwiping or if it's just part of some greater scheme.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Professor Shark posted:

If you drill a hole into your motherboard your graphics card still works fine if you take it out

Yeah but we saw hosts being completely burned, exploded, shot in the head etc etc. And none of it seems to cause any permanent damage

Well, maybe their brains have some kind of black box where their mind is kept that can resist anything except being drilled at the right spot or something. I dont remember if that was ever explained in detail in the show

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Who says their brain has to be in their brain?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm one sarsaparilla away from closing this dang thread again! :mad:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah but we saw hosts being completely burned, exploded, shot in the head etc etc. And none of it seems to cause any permanent damage

Well, maybe their brains have some kind of black box where their mind is kept that can resist anything except being drilled at the right spot or something. I dont remember if that was ever explained in detail in the show

Their brains could be in the cloud.

:yayclod:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Astroman posted:

Who says their brain has to be in their brain?

Because the dude with the rock was smashing his head in?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WampaLord posted:

Their brains could be in the cloud.

:yayclod:

I'm pretty sure they are. The hosts don't need to remember anyone aside from who they are currently with. If the host "dies" in a story, then they can be reset back to their start. They just have to build a new host, download the program and send them out.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Maybe they have a backup brain elsewhere. Maybe they have a whole cluster of computers in their bodies in case a few get blown up, who knows.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
"Hey ops, the robots are rebelling again. Could you just bounce all the AWS instances one more time?"

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pik_d posted:

Because the dude with the rock was smashing his head in?

One hell of a headache!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Alhazred posted:

Only if someone else has admin access. If you have admin access to yourself and the medical facility that maintains your body and mind, that's plenty secure.

Sure, there are probably ways to hack in and subvert such systems, but natural human bodies have such vulnerabilities as well.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure they are. The hosts don't need to remember anyone aside from who they are currently with. If the host "dies" in a story, then they can be reset back to their start. They just have to build a new host, download the program and send them out.

An image on the website showed that they moved the "control unit" when they built a new body. So they have a physical "brain" and I'm sure that's the thing they drill.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

I'm pretty sure they referenced the protective case around the Host brain after Bernard shot himself.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Journey into Nippon

nice

Adbot