Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wouldn't be Voyager if they'd given enough of a poo poo to have even a single episode of denouement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
When I play STO I either use season 3-7 TNG uniforms or First Contact uniforms, as the Lord intended.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Wouldn't be Voyager if they'd given enough of a poo poo to have even a single episode of denouement.

Commander Fromage, you have anticipated my denouement. However, we don't give a poo poo. I will continue [to disappoint you]

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Timby posted:

They had everyone except Walter Koenig, as I recall. But, yeah, there's a reason pretty much every guest alien of the week sounds like a certain Canadian character actor.

IIRC they fought with production to get most of the crew but they wouldn't pay for everyone, Koenig got to write an episode as a consolation prize. They did get Mark Leonard and the Harry Mudd guy back though. They used to run reruns on Nickelodeon which is where I first saw them as a kid

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tars Tarkas posted:

IIRC they fought with production to get most of the crew but they wouldn't pay for everyone

Kiiiind of. They were going to replace Takei and Nichols with soundalikes because the salary for Shatner and Nimoy was so high, and Nimoy hit the roof, correctly noting that they'd be axing the only minority cast members from TOS. He flat-out said he wouldn't do the show if they were re-cast, and I believe even took a pay cut to help cover the per-episode costs to have Takei and Nichols involved.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

DrNutt posted:

That sounds kinda weak because they are clearly different from tng uniforms. Like, goddamn Starfleet, how often do you really need to change uniform styles?

Yeah, the hologram of Chief O'Brien pretty clearly used the TNG style comm badge and season 3+ uniform. So it's obviously not a problem for them to animate that in LDS.

That said, I'm fine with the idea that lovely tugboat-tier ships have their own category of uniform in the same way that space stations had their own distinct utility uniform during the early DS9 years. Doesn't really explain the admiral wearing an LDS uniform, but then again admiral uniforms changed like 5 times over the course of TNG alone, so who cares?

That doesn't even seem like a crazy number of uniform changes. By the time LDS hits, the grey shoulder First Contact uniforms had been in use for quite a few years already. To use a real-life example of lots of wasteful uniform changes, I can think of at least 10 different styles of mass-issued camo utility uniforms used by the US military within the past 20 years. More if you count minor variations in collar/cuff design, changes to undershirt or boot color, changes to buttons vs velcro, etc. Each of those involved a multi-year long phase-in where previous styles were still authorized. If anything, it's wild that Starfleet kept the TWOK-era uniform going for so many decades.

Timby posted:

He flat-out said he wouldn't do the show if they were re-cast, and I believe even took a pay cut to help cover the per-episode costs to have Takei and Nichols involved.
:unsmith:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

If I sit down and try to make up a reason about why the uniforms in Trek are never consistent (other than production don't care) I think the best conclusion is that the uniforms are like internal gangs. If you wear a certain style, you're repping a certain gang. Troi was the only one who didn't really fit in with the TNG gang until Captain Replacement told her to represent. Everyone can wear whatever style they want but when we see crews all wearing the same style, we know they're a cohesive bunch of folks because they decided to rep the same gang.

Then you have folks like Worf who want to rep more than one gang and it's like yeah sure whatever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nimoy was a jerk in a lot of ways, but he cared a lot about his castmates. He and Shatner both took pay cuts from their $6 million salaries on The Undiscovered Country, for example, so DeForest Kelley--who was already in declining health--could finally break the $1 million payday barrier.

Of course, Shatner insisted on getting his full $6 million for Generations, which hamstrung an already-limited budget.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I read they reason that when TNG wanted to show Starfleet from an earlier period, they wore TOS Movie jackets without the turtleneck is because no one could find one of the turtlenecks in costume storage so they just had Jack Crusher wear the uniform without anything underneath.

Which looks terrible.

The Picard uniforms looked weirdly tailored, like they made them in a hurry without properly mesuring the actors that were going to wear them. And Disco uniforms look like track suits, or pajamas.
I think someone else in the thread said that the reason that TNG didn't use the turtlenecks with the TOS movie uniforms was because the turtlenecks were made with something called "trapunto quilting", a process which required incredibly rare sewing machines and needles. According to Memory Alpha, the costume designer for TWOK was only able to secure one machine/needle for the entire wardrobe department to use during production in 1981-82, so I imagine that turtlenecks were kept in reserve for the TOS movies while TNG had to make do with crappy t-shirts. Of course, Captain Fraiser and the crew of the Bozeman got turtlenecks, as did the crew of the Excelsior in "Flashback", but by the time those episodes were made the TOS movies were over, so the wardrobe department could open up the stockpiles a bit.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1316272530001399808

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It's already gone. What'd it say?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

galenanorth posted:

It's already gone. What'd it say?

Weird.

It was just the season 3 intro. Some unique motifs and imagery in it related to the new season.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Marshal Radisic posted:

I think someone else in the thread said that the reason that TNG didn't use the turtlenecks with the TOS movie uniforms was because the turtlenecks were made with something called "trapunto quilting", a process which required incredibly rare sewing machines and needles.
Are you sure? It's just a technique as far as I know, you don't need a special machine. It can be time consuming, but I've been dragged into helping make pieces by friends before (or I've been lied to)

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I got the story straight from the Memory Alpha for TWOK. I know next to nothing about making clothes, so my assumption that the turtlenecks with a particular form of trapunto quilting that requires specialized equipment that wasn't easy for a Hollywood production in the early 1980s to acquire.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Marshal Radisic posted:

I got the story straight from the Memory Alpha for TWOK. I know next to nothing about making clothes, so my assumption that the turtlenecks with a particular form of trapunto quilting that requires specialized equipment that wasn't easy for a Hollywood production in the early 1980s to acquire.

I suspect it was more to do with turnaround times. Yes you could get the equipment/machines, but not within x working days. 26 episodes per year and I assume not a full year shooting means you don't really have more than a week prep per ep and sometimes those scripts do not come very far in advance. It's a real shame there wasn't a guerilla camera unit in the art dept during Peak Trek of the 90s because I would love to see a week in the life of running those shows.

Powered Descent posted:

The sloped shoulders make everyone look like they're slouching all the time.

(Also, what is going on with those wizard-robe-sleeves-over-normal-sleeves?)

I hate them. I hate the shape, I hate the stripes, I hate the slouching effect, I hate the re-manufactured fat FC commbadges, I hate the fat PADDs hiding real iPads. I honestly can't think of a single bit of industrial design in that show that I like. (in it's defence I loved the Space Flowers)

Malaise era.

twistedmentat posted:

The Picard uniforms looked weirdly tailored, like they made them in a hurry without properly mesuring the actors that were going to wear them. And Disco uniforms look like track suits, or pajamas.

Both TNG-era uniforms in Picard looked really cheap/thin - I wondered if they were off-the-shelf ones (would make sense for how briefly it was on screen).

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So I binged watched Lower Decks. It was pretty good. That is all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

echoplex posted:

I hate them. I hate the shape, I hate the stripes, I hate the slouching effect, I hate the re-manufactured fat FC commbadges, I hate the fat PADDs hiding real iPads. I honestly can't think of a single bit of industrial design in that show that I like. (in it's defence I loved the Space Flowers)

The quantum archive looked okay, and the computer interfaces in there (on screens!) looked like a decent LCARS upgrade, must-be-blue-computers aside. So much better than the stupid holograms that it'd be impossible to actually read...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Actually the worst uniforms are the Future Uniforms from Voyager. They are just uuuuuuuuugly.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
If the theory is that you know it's the bad future that you need to fix by its terrible uniforms, then at least you can just write off Picard as the alternate future where there's a galaxy wide, brain damage inducing event.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Marshal Radisic posted:

According to Ron Moore, Braga was considering bringing Voyager home early in the sixth season as a way to shake up the premise of the show. Moore was against it, arguing that doing so would be giving up on the one unique element of the show. In his opinion, if Voyager returned home then the Maquis characters would end up pardoned, everyone would want to stay onboard, and the show would complete its transformation into TNG v.2.0.

(Apparently Suspiria, the companion to the Caretaker who split to do her own thing, was originally intended at the outset of the series to be the "emergency get Voyager home" device they could use if the audience wasn't enjoying the Delta Quadrant stuff. Of course, they used her once in the middle of the second season then never mentioned her again because this is VGR.)

Oh damnit, that could've been so good if they had done it though.

I'm also one that was very disappointed that there was no resolution when they got home. No big reunions or speeches or memorials for the crew that didn't make it. No "well what do we do next". Just get there and then it ends.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

speaking of, looks like 32nd century starfleet has a new logo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nullsmack posted:

Oh damnit, that could've been so good if they had done it though.

I'm also one that was very disappointed that there was no resolution when they got home. No big reunions or speeches or memorials for the crew that didn't make it. No "well what do we do next". Just get there and then it ends.

Yeah I think RDM was wrong on that one. Yeah, sending Voyager home would kill its one premise, but it's not like they ever took it seriously anyway. They kept writing episodes about finally being able to get home early except lol this wormhole is too small and the probe got stuck in it, oh wait we can transport through it, lol it goes to Romulan space, and lol it's also 200 years in the past. Oh this time we found a good wormhole, let's go through, oh wait we need to deal with these Ferengi, and we are taking a long time to do this, looks like we got the Ferengi out just in time for them to go home but it was too late for us, lol.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
They really are doubling down on that dumb ‘rank insignia hidden on the badge’ idea, aren’t they?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I think RDM was wrong on that one. Yeah, sending Voyager home would kill its one premise, but it's not like they ever took it seriously anyway. They kept writing episodes about finally being able to get home early except lol this wormhole is too small and the probe got stuck in it, oh wait we can transport through it, lol it goes to Romulan space, and lol it's also 200 years in the past. Oh this time we found a good wormhole, let's go through, oh wait we need to deal with these Ferengi, and we are taking a long time to do this, looks like we got the Ferengi out just in time for them to go home but it was too late for us, lol.

Voyager was always basically Gilligan's Island in space, yes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zaroff posted:

They really are doubling down on that dumb ‘rank insignia hidden on the badge’ idea, aren’t they?

I hate that. The badge isn't about rank. The badge is a unifying symbol of mutual exploration and discovery

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

I hate that. The badge isn't about rank. The badge is a unifying symbol of mutual exploration and discovery

This is from the show that gave extreme black badges to the top secret extrajudicial police

The rank signifiers on disco were already dumb though. Collar pips will always be the best

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Zaroff posted:

"Ensign, are you staring really hard at my tits?"
"Sorry, uh... Captain?!? Oh poo poo."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Crusader posted:

Starfleet eat the eggs

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Crusader posted:

Beautiful sneak reference to what DIS has been so far.
Three seashells. Not that I'm not going to watch the gently caress out of it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crusader posted:

Writers: "What if: Borg logo but with the starfleet swoop??"

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Could be interesting if this theory pans out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41r6UjYESJQ

It would be neat if the copy of the Voyager EMH from "Living Witness" would show up at some point. That should be from around the same time.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
No joke if they kept a Robert Picardo cameo under wraps for Disco, that would be cool as hell.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So season 3 is going to be the Star Trek: Andromeda that Gene originally wanted?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The Future Imperfect badges having rank was fine because the bars were way bigger than the collar pips. I'm going to say again they need ranks on the sleeves again.

So Disco is going beyond even the Enterprise-J and the Relativity from Voyager, so shouldn't Starfleet pretty easily be able to send them back in time? The justification for traveling so far forward doesn't make any drat sense anyway so I guess it's whatever if it means they get a blank slate for Disco.

After so much was made of Burnham being Spock's sister but again, whatever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Humerus posted:

So Disco is going beyond even the Enterprise-J and the Relativity from Voyager, so shouldn't Starfleet pretty easily be able to send them back in time?

Not if it's all confuckulated and post-apocalypse poo poo

Setting a prequel in the far future is bound to absolutely gently caress with any sort of continuity or sense-making

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is that Rosario Dawson?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Is that Rosario Dawson?

Yeah

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Actually the worst uniforms are the Future Uniforms from Voyager. They are just uuuuuuuuugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grandpa The Doctor is on his fifth rummage through the living room couches and still no remote has turned up