Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I am getting a new apple device this week tho

Apple's giving up on repeatedly repairing my 2016 MBP (which itself was a warranty replacement for a 2013 that kept getting repaired) and is sending me a 2018 MBP this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

just in time for mojave

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

I just wish that any cell phone company would let me split my data cap among as many devices as I want without having to pay 40% more for every additional device I have

if I want to glue a tablet in my car that I only use for maps and music for a total of 300 megabytes per month, why the gently caress can't I use some of the data that I don't use on my cell phone

wait, why can't you now? just turn on you hotspot on your phone and have carputer connect to that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

sending me a 2018 MBP this week

lol. :rip: you

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I mean, I already have a 2016. it's the same device just with true tone and a couple more cores to cook my balls

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

I want to enable cellular service for my new watch when it gets here but if the line access fee is really $10 then lol. all they have to do is enable it and it uses the same data. but that’s worth $10 a month apparently

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I am getting a new apple device this week tho

Apple's giving up on repeatedly repairing my 2016 MBP (which itself was a warranty replacement for a 2013 that kept getting repaired) and is sending me a 2018 MBP this week

the real apple upgrade program

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

it's a carrier retail store, $14/hr. is the minimum wage in my province. i don't know how much money she actually makes, all i know is she was sad that the phone costs "as much as i make in a month"

Tell her to get an iPhone 7. It’s a great phone and you can get them cheaply now. iOS 12 runs very well on it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

wait, why can't you now? just turn on you hotspot on your phone and have carputer connect to that.

You can do that but it's a stupid hack and requires two devices anyway.

Or like, what if I want to put an old cell phone in the glove box for emergencies? Can't just add it to my plan, gotta buy a prepaid sim for it for no reason other than price gouging. oh and last time I looked into that, if you didn't use the minutes/data within a year or something, they'd expire anyway lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eric posted:

Tell her to get an iPhone 7. It’s a great phone and you can get them cheaply now. iOS 12 runs very well on it.

That's not hot enough, obviously

A bunch of my students all of a sudden have iPhones X this semester and it's predominantly the trendy girls

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

You can do that but it's a stupid hack and requires two devices anyway.

Or like, what if I want to put an old cell phone in the glove box for emergencies? Can't just add it to my plan, gotta buy a prepaid sim for it for no reason other than price gouging. oh and last time I looked into that, if you didn't use the minutes/data within a year or something, they'd expire anyway lol

yeah, it's dumb, no argument there.

depending on how you define "emergencies" you can already do 911 dialing on any phone that's physically capable of connecting to the network, for free, without a sim

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Sagebrush posted:

I just wish that any cell phone company would let me split my data cap among as many devices as I want without having to pay 40% more for every additional device I have

if I want to glue a tablet in my car that I only use for maps and music for a total of 300 megabytes per month, why the gently caress can't I use some of the data that I don't use on my cell phone

I heard comcast has something like that where you can put your phone on your cable plan... but i dunno and comcast is poo poo so... that's it?

Verizon let's you combine your accounts so you can use the same login to fios and wireless - the future is here

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
carriers all charging $10/month for Apple Watch cell data that causes net zero change in network loading is the highest of bullshit

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, but so is strapping a second cell phone to your wrist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i mentioned the iphone 7, her reasoning was that while it's a fine phone now, the contract term is two years and in two years it will probably run like poo poo thanks to ios updates

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kobayashi posted:

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Kobayashi posted:

- insanely 2015 dude

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Kobayashi posted:

more like a pager, really

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

incels interlinked posted:

Can’t believe you kids always staring at that device which lets you instantly communicate with all of your friends and contains the accumulated knowledge of humanity. Pay attention to me instead

this a million things to do times

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

life in the loving 80’s:

want to hang out with your friend? great, call their house. you have their phone number memorized. if you’re not home you better find a payphone. they’re not at home? you’re hosed! there is literally no way to find them. maybe you could call your other friend and find out if they’re over there.

your sister is watching some show you hate on tv. your options are to go listen to the radio in the other room, or read something. the Nintendo is hooked up to the tv so good luck getting time to play if other people are watching something.

I wonder what’s going on in the world today. I’ve got the newspaper from this morning, but it contains the news from yesterday. gotta tune it to the network news broadcast or the radio news. they’re talking about this stupid thing I don’t care about, I guess I’ll have to watch it all to find out if there’s anything I want to know.

going somewhere? grab a map. how do you know where they are? yellow pages! oh, you don’t carry the yellow pages around with you? I guess you could stop at a gas station and ask. pull over and refer to the map while driving. did you take a wrong turn? how long until you figure that out?

want to find a date? maybe you can ask one of the girls at your school? don’t go to school? well, bars I guess. calling your girlfriend and getting her dad picking up the phone, that’s always an experience. you want to talk to her and it’s after 11? her parents are asleep and the phone will wake them up so you can’t call. sorry.

calling your family in a different country? better talk fast, it’s $1 per minute. in 80’s dollars.

today’s a good day, the monthly issue of your favorite video game magazine is delivered in the mail. well maybe today, definitely sometime this week, because you already saw the new issue at a newsstand. wait for the mail to be delivered every day and go check it until it arrives. be sure to read it cover to cover including all the ads, because where else are you going to get information about video games?

let’s watch a movie. hop in the car, go to the video store. check out the new movie section. there are a few things there but most of the good stuff is already rented out. but you found something, a cool movie you like. invite your friend over, tell him to bring his vcr and you can make a copy of the movie using the two vcrs together while you watch.

need to book a flight? easy, go to a travel agent. so convenient. your tickets will arrive in the mail in about a week.

hey, what’s that thing called and how does it work? maybe try looking it up in the encyclopedia set on your bookshelf. don’t know the name of it? might be a challenge. if that doesn’t work, you can always go to the library.

hmm ill take suicide thanks

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

A bunch of my students all of a sudden have iPhones X this semester and it's predominantly the trendy girls

there isnt a big difference between being 50k or 51k in debt tbh

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

life in the loving 80’s:

want to hang out with your friend? great, call their house. you have their phone number memorized. if you’re not home you better find a payphone. they’re not at home? you’re hosed! there is literally no way to find them. maybe you could call your other friend and find out if they’re over there.

your sister is watching some show you hate on tv. your options are to go listen to the radio in the other room, or read something. the Nintendo is hooked up to the tv so good luck getting time to play if other people are watching something.

I wonder what’s going on in the world today. I’ve got the newspaper from this morning, but it contains the news from yesterday. gotta tune it to the network news broadcast or the radio news. they’re talking about this stupid thing I don’t care about, I guess I’ll have to watch it all to find out if there’s anything I want to know.

going somewhere? grab a map. how do you know where they are? yellow pages! oh, you don’t carry the yellow pages around with you? I guess you could stop at a gas station and ask. pull over and refer to the map while driving. did you take a wrong turn? how long until you figure that out?

want to find a date? maybe you can ask one of the girls at your school? don’t go to school? well, bars I guess. calling your girlfriend and getting her dad picking up the phone, that’s always an experience. you want to talk to her and it’s after 11? her parents are asleep and the phone will wake them up so you can’t call. sorry.

calling your family in a different country? better talk fast, it’s $1 per minute. in 80’s dollars.

today’s a good day, the monthly issue of your favorite video game magazine is delivered in the mail. well maybe today, definitely sometime this week, because you already saw the new issue at a newsstand. wait for the mail to be delivered every day and go check it until it arrives. be sure to read it cover to cover including all the ads, because where else are you going to get information about video games?

let’s watch a movie. hop in the car, go to the video store. check out the new movie section. there are a few things there but most of the good stuff is already rented out. but you found something, a cool movie you like. invite your friend over, tell him to bring his vcr and you can make a copy of the movie using the two vcrs together while you watch.

need to book a flight? easy, go to a travel agent. so convenient. your tickets will arrive in the mail in about a week.

hey, what’s that thing called and how does it work? maybe try looking it up in the encyclopedia set on your bookshelf. don’t know the name of it? might be a challenge. if that doesn’t work, you can always go to the library.

etc.

the point is, the stuff we have now is worth paying for because it brings much greater value to our lives than the price we pay for it.

cool i wasn't alive in the 80s

stop being rude and put your phone down

poty
Jun 21, 2008

that ming kuo guy predicted in july new imacs with better displays (hes killing it so far btw https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/11/apple-product-updates-fall-kuo/)

ive been reading about titan ridge and thunderbolt now supports displayport 1.4 so macs with discrete graphics could in theory drive 4 5k screens at 120hz

if new imacs that support this are not announced in october tim cook should be fired imo

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poty posted:

that ming kuo guy predicted in july new imacs with better displays (hes killing it so far btw https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/11/apple-product-updates-fall-kuo/)

steve would have personally shown up at this guy's house and dragged him by his hair back to apple headquarters before having him crucified to a wheel of iron to die baking in the cupertino sun

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

carriers all charging $10/month for Apple Watch cell data that causes net zero change in network loading is the highest of bullshit
*technically* it counts as one more node since your phone is still connected to cellular wherever you happen to have left it, but it only counts as that when it's away from your phone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stymie posted:

steve would have personally shown up at this guy's house and dragged him by his hair back to apple headquarters before having him crucified to a wheel of iron to die baking in the cupertino sun

stebe's one saving grace was the terror he inspired in his workers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ming kuo was the guy who swore up and down Apple was going to ship a 55” tv for like 5 years

he’s probably got better sources now though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

ming kuo was the guy who swore up and down Apple was going to ship a 55 tv for like 5 years

hes probably got better sources now though

that was how steve jobs was going to crack the tv business

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

akadajet posted:

that was how steve jobs was going to crack the tv business
such a great deathbed troll

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

iMac 8K incoming

also the cellular Apple Watch would be great if you didn’t need a phone to use it. if they ever do that I’ll buy one so I don’t have to carry around this gigantic iPhone SE.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

ming kuo was the guy who swore up and down Apple was going to ship a 55” tv for like 5 years

he’s probably got better sources now though

they probably were

depending on the timing, either steve plugged the leak by ending the project or tim couldn't figure out a way to sell dongles for a tv

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:smithicide::hf::smithicide:

(The first one is for myself being old, the second is for that poor gently caress who identifies with us*)

*: I'm late 1980 so I'm never sure whether I'm X or Millennial. Also the use of "generations" to define broad swaths of population is politically reductive and deeply disrespectful towards people's lived experiences.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 17, 2018

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol gruber

remember the solid year he spent talking about how apple was now this super-high end ~*luxury*~ brand and it was about to completely shatter the entire high-end market for fashion accessories and everyone better look out because the solid gold watch was only the start of apples inevitable march to becoming the new louis vuitton?

fast forward to today

johnny fireball posted:

The original 18-karat gold Edition watches never made sense to me. It’s clear that was a mistake — they never sold well even by the standards of $20,000 watches, and working with gold didn’t help Apple with other products.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the appletv is a more tim-like product than an apple tv would have been because they can ship 50 units they make $100 apiece on in the space of a single television box they would have made maybe a grand on and is incredibly fragile

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the tv market is a terrible one - prices drop constantly, margins are nonexistent, and people upgrade every 8-15 years. its why the makers are so hot to try and get people excited about new technology (3d glasses! curved screens! 8k oleds!) only to have the vat majority of the market shrug and buy the $349 panel that will last them for a decade

its pretty much the opposite of any sort of market that apple gets involved in

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
gruber at least comes up with some semi-informed sources spilling about apples awol airpower charging mat

quote:

AirPower: I wrote about AirPower’s absence earlier this week. What I’ve heard, third-hand but from multiple little birdies, is that AirPower really is well and truly hosed. Something about the multi-coil design getting too hot — way too hot. There are engineers who looked at AirPower’s design and said it could never work, thermally, and now those same engineers have that “told you so” smug look on their faces. Last year Apple was apparently swayed by arguments that they could figure out a way to make it not get hot. They were, clearly, wrong. I think they’ve either had to go completely back to the drawing board and start over with an entirely different design, or they’ve decided to give up and they just don’t want to say so.
"well and truly hosed" lol

e: it will be a long, long, long time before apple announces a new product that isnt 100% complete and ready to ship

FMguru fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 17, 2018

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
do the xs work with any non-apple powermats && are any non-apple powermats tolerable

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol @ wireless charging

hope you enjoy your jiffy pop phone

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

9/11/20: Homes across California destroyed in wildfire set off by wireless charging pod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

remember when apple made a ghettoblaster