Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm torn on whether the mold line on the face is bad, or if it just makes him look :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodin
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the advice, I keep meaning to buy a pin vise and drill my barrels...

And what mold line? The line above the left eye was a flaw in the photo, doesn't show in real life. Dunno why it photographed like that.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd say the the chaplain is too dark. The photo I'm sure darkened it a little, but that's not 100% of it. Even though he's in black armor and all, using the full range of values for your colors will help your model pop. To demonstrate, here's a comparison of histograms for your model and a similar one done by PV:

You're only really using the bottom 1/4th of your possible color values, which doesn't bring your focus to any particular point. Obviously you're not going to have a perfect bell curve, as the model is wearing black armor, but you should try and fit the full range in there. This doesn't mean that you have to go crazy with highlighting, as PV's model demonstrates.

This dude explains it a little better than I do:
http://theback40k.blogspot.com/2010/03/little-color-theory-part-ii.html

Here it is after playing with the levels a bit; if it looked more like this in real life you'd be happier, I think (just without the heavy noise, obviously).

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo actual data and graphs to back up your criticism, that rules. :awesome:

poo poo like that is why this thread owns. Funny thing is if you were to do that on like Warseer or B&C you'd probably get your post deleted and a stern warning by some idiot mod.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Fyrbrand posted:

poo poo like that is why this thread owns. Funny thing is if you were to do that on like Warseer or B&C you'd probably get your post deleted and a stern warning by some idiot mod.

Thanks for telling me about these places so I can make sure to never ever visit them

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Thats a great post MSP.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I like how MSP photoshopped barrels onto the stormbolter.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

GEMorris posted:

Thanks for telling me about these places so I can make sure to never ever visit them

We pretty chill up in this bitch. Criticism doesn't devolve into subjective shouting matches about a very objective subject, which helps a ton.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I didn't know you could really critique paintjobs using graphs and charts, but that is pretty useful to see!

Inverse Icarus posted:

Just bought a Scythean for my Warmachine army, and it looks like this guy has a hollow body.

I'm afraid about just gluing those two pieces together. Do I need to invest in some green stuff and fill it up myself?

Don't try to fill it, it will make that section crazy heavy and not really be particularly useful. Dry fit the two halves to make sure they join properly, and if you need to use some greenstuff on the connection to make sure that it properly fitted. At the most you would want to do a sort of greenstuff 'washer' between the two halves, but mostly you should just make sure all the edges are meeting properly and fill any gaps.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Acidix posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering.

This was the Crystal Brush winner from Adepticon. It was actually my favorite model upon first review of them, so I'm glad it won. Just a really solid paint job overall, everything was done really really well.

Lady, that's not how you hold a sword.

LucasLAD
Feb 11, 2011
Got my poo poo in from Kromlech, good stuff.

Wolf Guard with frost weapons.

Mark of the Wulfen using manrape pattern chainswords

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

^^ Those are some really... long chainswords

Does anyone have a size comparison between warriors of chaos and space marines? Are they close enough in scale that I could kitbash the warriors into Marines?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Does anyone have a size comparison between warriors of chaos and space marines? Are they close enough in scale that I could kitbash the warriors into Marines?

Warriors of Chaos are slightly taller, and more proportional. They get used for truescaling a lot and you could kitbash them pretty well.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

LucasLAD posted:

Got my poo poo in from Kromlech, good stuff.

Wolf Guard with frost weapons.

:stare: You weren't kidding about the size. :stare:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

The Blue Pyramid posted:

WoC legs, SM torso, greenstuff.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Chenghiz posted:

WoC legs, SM torso, greenstuff.

The tiny feet are freaking me out :stare:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
They aren't as small as they look, you're seeing them head-on and the dark brown blends in the with the base. :P

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest

Inverse Icarus posted:

Just bought a Scythean for my Warmachine army, and it looks like this guy has a hollow body.

I'm afraid about just gluing those two pieces together. Do I need to invest in some green stuff and fill it up myself?

Firstly if you dont have Green Stuff and you play Warmachine I'm not sure how you've jimmied some of those models together. That being said I feel like unless you plan on drilling into the model, filling the body isn't necessary.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Washout posted:

There was a bits retailer selling dragon wings for a while.

The ones from the old wyvern/snake dragon model? I have an old wyvern with that orc hero on it kicking around but I remember the wings being chunky and bleh.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

LucasLAD posted:

Oh god chainnaginata

If the japanese had those, Tom Cruise would never had been the last samurai...

LucasLAD
Feb 11, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh god chainnaginata

If the japanese had those, Tom Cruise would never had been the last samurai...

Well I did want to make it obvious that these guys caused rending in CC. I think the statement has been made with a obnoxious degree of success.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Kromlech makes cool poo poo.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The ones from the old wyvern/snake dragon model? I have an old wyvern with that orc hero on it kicking around but I remember the wings being chunky and bleh.

No they were from like the new high elf plastic dragon and stuff. Moot point because I can't find them anymore. People were using them a lot for flying hive tyrant conversions.

Oh duh found them! They are direct from GW mail order. They have a whole bits section just dedicated to wings even.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1290031&_requestid=86917
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1140257&amp;_requestid=86956 <-- best

Washout fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 8, 2011

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

BEST
DAY
EVER

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
gimmick-ork-heads.com

Seriously how many different gimmick ork head sets can there be. we will never know

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Chenghiz posted:

gimmick-ork-heads.com

Seriously how many different gimmick ork head sets can there be. we will never know

I am willing to find out...

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...
Now to make some green-stuff ponchos...

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Mariachi Ork Rockers?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Chenghiz posted:

gimmick-ork-heads.com

There are fewer than gimmick IG figures ranges.

Krieg guys
Mordians
Cadians
Catachans
Vostroyans
Tallarns
Praetorian
steel legion
penal legion
the all powerful fuzzy hat + gasmask + old timey combo based on that one really great blanche sketch
and all ratling or all ogryn for the really ambitious

(found this while googling, it is cool: http://images.dakkadakka.com/galler...0Necromunda.jpg)
(then I found this :http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/3/31/94435_md-Alpha%20Legion,%20Alpharius,%20Imperial%20Guard,%20Legion.jpg)

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009

Acidix posted:

Firstly if you dont have Green Stuff and you play Warmachine I'm not sure how you've jimmied some of those models together. That being said I feel like unless you plan on drilling into the model, filling the body isn't necessary.

I just file the poo poo out of my Hordes stuff until it fits.

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...
And the Nob leading them shall have one of these

Nacho, nacho ork...I want to be a...nacho ork :orks:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So I have to re-photo my autarch for the CMON 2010 annual.

I got the invite for a couple models on my cmon, but I dont have the nurgle dread anymore and dont have high enough rez pics of it. Not sure if the Autarch will make the cut, but it would be pretty neat to have it printed in a rad book. Pretty stoked.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is that the one that caused all the nerd-rage here because if so :lol:

And also, grats of course.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah, same model. Anything that got higher than an 8.0 on cmon over the last year got the offer, so Im sure the pool of images they get to choose from is enormous, but hey, its worth a shot. I never liked my original photos, so now I get to reshoot it too.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's so nerd-ragey about it? If you're talking about the orange and white one then I don't see it. I'm not a fan of huge bases or brightly coloured blades (or the massive cloth bit hanging off the spear) but those aren't universal tastes nor is anyone mad about them. Is it the wrong colour scheme?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah thats the one. I need to reshoot it and get the whole thing in focus, the spear tip angle really hosed with my camera

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I like it but you've done better stuff imo.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Bhyo posted:

I like it but you've done better stuff imo.

Like the pieces in his avatar? :frogc00l:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Bhyo posted:

Just glue it together. Why would you need to fill the middle?

Ashcans posted:

Don't try to fill it, it will make that section crazy heavy and not really be particularly useful. Dry fit the two halves to make sure they join properly, and if you need to use some greenstuff on the connection to make sure that it properly fitted. At the most you would want to do a sort of greenstuff 'washer' between the two halves, but mostly you should just make sure all the edges are meeting properly and fill any gaps.

Acidix posted:

Thanks for the tips guys.

I ended up just gluing it together. Most of the legion pieces have solid bodies, and I was afraid that with so little surface area, the pieces who shear or slide and break off. With a little filing it was a nice fit, and I put a fair bit of superglue on.

Still haven't used any green stuff yet! I should probably get some.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Also get some JB Weld. It's a steel epoxy, perfect for eternally binding metal together. Chances are good the dried putty is stronger than the metal the model's made of, frankly.

• Locked thread