Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
modded FF12 log: I like this game a lot. It hasn't been punishingly difficult except for when I screwed myself really hard in Barheim Passage by not getting blizzard beforehand, and without it the mimics sometimes can't be killed before they drain enough power to cause undead spawns, and things can get out of hand fast. I left the mod author a message saying he should add it to the vendor at the start and he said he probably would, so that's cool.

I'm still early enough (Leviathan) that there isn't a lot of strategy since Fran is your only caster until then with the fixed character jobs, I'm interested in seeing how things open up once I have all 6 characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Sindai posted:

modded FF12 log: I like this game a lot. It hasn't been punishingly difficult except for when I screwed myself really hard in Barheim Passage by not getting blizzard beforehand, and without it the mimics sometimes can't be killed before they drain enough power to cause undead spawns, and things can get out of hand fast. I left the mod author a message saying he should add it to the vendor at the start and he said he probably would, so that's cool.

I'm still early enough (Leviathan) that there isn't a lot of strategy since Fran is your only caster until then with the fixed character jobs, I'm interested in seeing how things open up once I have all 6 characters.

even among modders, who like it when people want to talk about the thing they spend so much time on, Eternal seems especially reliable. I think he was grateful for the influx of people from the recent patch

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm curious to try that mod, but I don't have the PC version and I probably wouldn't use the character-specific jobs. I get enough fun out of mixing and matching jobs Zodiac Age-style that I wouldn't want the jobs and Espers locked down.

I did see that the mod features rebalanced versions of the Zodiac Age job boards, though, and that interests me, so if I end up buying the PC version and trying the mod that's probably the option I'll use. Some of the Zodiac Age job boards are pretty good but some are just a total mess. It's a neat gimmick that they're shaped like zodiac symbols but sometimes it leads to some annoyingly narrow pathways that kinda screw up the freedom the license board could otherwise allow. There's a lot of room for improvement so maybe the mod does a good job of that.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I have a FF12TZA Gambit question! I have set up my magic users to attack according to weakness:

Foe: fire-weak > Fire

And I'm now noticing that they are attacking some enemies and hitting for zero damage. What gives? Am I just at the point in the game where the enemy is technically weak to a spell but the base version just doesn't do damage? Have I hosed up my gambits somehow?

Help me, my Gambits are failing.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Soul Glo posted:

I have a FF12TZA Gambit question! I have set up my magic users to attack according to weakness:

And I'm now noticing that they are attacking some enemies and hitting for zero damage. What gives? Am I just at the point in the game where the enemy is technically weak to a spell but the base version just doesn't do damage? Have I hosed up my gambits somehow?

What area are you in?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Soul Glo posted:

not basch:
ally: basch: != berserk > berserk: basch
ally: basch: != haste > haste: basch
ally: basch != brave > brave: basch

basch:
target: player target

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

OhFunny posted:

What area are you in?

Hunter's Camp? Just got the second summon and a story sword weapon that does less damage than my normal weapons.

My Black Mage has lvl 2 magic, the other folks just lvl 1 stuff

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Hunter's Camp? Just got the second summon and a story sword weapon that does less damage than my normal weapons.

Yeah the story weapons aren't great.

Is it one of the Elemental enemies? They can be hit with magic, but will then cast an anti-magic spell and become immune to all magic for two minutes.

They only become hostile when magic is cast near them.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 14, 2020

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

OhFunny posted:

Yeah the story weapons aren't great.

Is it one of the Elemental enemies? They can be hit with magic, but will then cast an anti-magic spell and become immune to all magic for two minutes.

They only become hostile when magic is cast near them.

I mean Fran is zeroing against those Mandragorans (sp) using Fire. The glowy frogs probably were elemental in retrospect.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pencils R Cool posted:

I gave Balthier the Esper that allows him to learn Curaga so now I have a tanky knight who heals himself when his poo poo is getting slapped. Went exploring in an underground sand cave and discovered an optional Esper who one-shotted my entire party halfway through the fight with a round of Thundagas! A challenge has appeared at last! And yeah, my Black Mage was hilariously overpowered in the dungeon with the stone faces. I'd see an enemy, Vaan would hit it for 300 or something then I'd suddenly see 2400 appear over it's head courtesy of Ashe the Omnipotent.

Get 3 diamond armlets(lightning immunity) from a chest in the first round of trial mode
Laugh at that easy esper

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

I mean Fran is zeroing against those Mandragorans (sp) using Fire. The glowy frogs probably were elemental in retrospect.

The only thing I can think of is that the Mandragorans in Feywood casting Mystery Waltz and hitting level 99. Which makes them immune to all magic and most physical attacks.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Harrow posted:

One of the things I do when I play FFXII is make sure I use all six characters and keep them all as close to the same level as possible. Usually what that means is I use one group of three, then as soon as they level up, I switch to the other group, and so on. In the end this means I'm not leveling up quite as much as I would if I just used three characters so by the later parts of the game enemies can actually fight back a little bit sometimes.

Not really. FFXII's EXP curve is such that if you only used three characters you'd, at most, have a party 1 or 2 levels higher than what you'd have if you used all of them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Not really. FFXII's EXP curve is such that if you only used three characters you'd, at most, have a party 1 or 2 levels higher than what you'd have if you used all of them.

Oh huh, I never really compared. I suppose that's smart design, if nothing else, since I imagine it means characters who are really far behind can catch up fairly quickly.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Honestly gear and Licenses are both way more important than levels. Which is why Weak Mode is possible. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Honestly gear and Licenses are both way more important than levels. Which is why Weak Mode is possible. :v:

Yeah, that's really the main thing and I suppose why it doesn't matter. That's why the only real way to find a challenge for a lot of the game is to intentionally push as far as you can in hunts and fighting optional Espers as early as possible--some of them can be pretty tricky under those circumstances just because of what gear you have access to.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
You guys were talking about IX earlier.

Can someone please explain why people love it so much? I find the game a terrible slog, the gameplay is too easy even by ps1 FF standards, the "customization" isn't fun, the dungeon design is crap especially after VIII's, more than half of the cast aren't even interesting or are wasted. It's such a chore on replays and I don't understand how or why people put it above games like FFX and the fact that the likes of Sakaguchi and Uematsu called it their favorite is flat out bananas to me. Playing the original game on ps1/ps2 hardware is drat near torture for me due to the load times and battle speed even on the highest active setting.

I'm truly curious as I find it the most forgettable FF between IV-XII. I simply do not get the appeal beyond Vivi and Steiner. It has a massive problem similarly to IV where there's really only one way to play it, making it boring as gently caress on replays.

I'm giving it another run after this replay of VII, so please tell me things to look out for when I do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia? Yea I have no idea. I don't get it either.

The music is good I guess, but that's true of almost every FF game.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

To me it came down to it being a charming as gently caress Fantasy tale. It made me feel like a Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale. The German translation I played was top notch and gave people regional German accents.

The World feels alive and lived in, especially Lindblum. Every character is recognizable by their silhouette alone. Freya is a rat dragoon.

As a kid I didn't care about the mechanical flaws much, I had all the time in the world. Yeah, it wasted a few characters, but compared to 8s cast of one off idiots, I cared a lot more about Zidane, Dagger, Freya, Vivi and Steiner and if course Ruby.

Edit : 8 didn't resonate with me at all and I think it's hot garbage to this day.

I can still close my eyes and remember scenes from Ix despite never replaying it.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 14, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think IX is pretty crummy and if FF3DS didnt exist it would be my bottom

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I love FFIX cause its good.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I don't think it's a game you will like if you have to have it explained to you why you should like it.

The graphics were very good for the PS1, and hold up much better than 7 or 8. I think the music is great, but music is pretty subjective and is generally good in most FF games.

What really stands out is how much character it has. It's bright and friendly and looks like a storybook. The whole thing is handled like a play. The characters are generally charming as gently caress and likable. The background NPCs all seem to have character and little story arcs. The world feels lived in and alive, with a lot of activity and airships flying around the overworld, instead of NPCs standing in place waiting for you to come talk to them. There's little secrets hidden all over the place- not just treasures, but little easter eggs and worldbuilding history plaques. The game is full of winks and nods to the older games in the series. It harkens back to the more adventurous high fantasy formula of the older games rather than the more serious, darker tones of 7 and 8.

Generally, it's just charming. If you don't appreciate that for what it is, then you can't really be told "how to like it". Either you enjoy it or you don't. The game is not loved for innovating the battle system or anything.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I had problems with 9 and 12 when they came out. 9 because it was advertised as an rebuttal to the futuristic 7 and 8. And everything in the game felt cobbled together for that purpose rather than to make an interesting cohesive world on its own. 12 I didn't like because it felt sooo much like the MMOs coming out and I couldn't deal with the new battle system.

Now, I don't care about any of that, and I'm really enjoying a 12 playthrough. But 9, even without those hangups, now it's kind of slow and dull-ish. If I hadn't been so pissy about it in 2000, I probably would've liked 9 a lot. Great music.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Vivi is my precious son and IX is the game with him in it so i like it

also Roses of May is really good

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I remembered stuff like Tetra Master, the stupid forced Tetra Master tournament, the slowdown due to the fog, Trances going off without any control whatsoever. I like ATE's, Vivi, Steiner. Zidane and Dagger are alright. Chocobo Hot and Cold and Mognet are fantastic. I really like customization FF's: V, VI, VIII, Tactics, X International, X-2, XII. There's almost no customization to speak of in IX. You can choose between equipping worse equipment to learn a certain ability but that's not choice or anything. I was really excited for FFIX when the GIA got pre-production drawings indicating a job system. I loved the game upon release but think it's average on replays. A job system would have made it far more palpable for me. It's not that I dislike it - I like every FF before 13 - it's just that I think it's okay at best. I even prefer playing FF1 and III (nes and ps1 version, at least for 1) over IX.

I mentioned FFIV's linearity and lack of customization but FFIV makes up for it with fantastic dungeon design like Tower of Zot and quests like the various summon quests, which is something IX does not have in its favor.

I rank it pretty low so I was hoping to find anything I'm missing to hopefully appreciate it more.

I also specifically hate how FFIX jacks itself off with the FF references and in the way it recycles old concepts without treading any ground. It's so loving boring and safe. I also find it weird how people claim it's how FF would look if it stopped being "realistic" when I don't recall any of that type of character design in I-VII. Give me Nomura over those character designs.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 14, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFIX was my favorite FF after i played it back in 2003. Granted, I think it was the second FF I beat after FFVII. Still, I remember just sitting back and listening to Melodies of Life starting to play and thinking "that...was amazing." The ending was perfect yet I didn't want it to end.

Why? My views have changed a lot in 17 years. I've played a lot of other games and grown some. Nevertheless, I see in FFIX a pretty well-executed and decently ambitious game that never tries too hard. FFIX is a "throwback" to older FFs but with a far more sophisticated plot and much more to say. It is charming without being simplistic, magical without being vapid. It uses a fun fantasy world and tropes to tell a very personal story that we can all relate to.

The area I've changed most about with regards to FFIX is its gameplay. Even back in the day I hated it, considering it the least fun of all the PS1 FF's. I've totally reversed my opinion on that and now consider it the most fun of the PS1 titles. gently caress "everyone can do everything and has the same stats' bullshit. FFIX has characters who are actually distinct and worth playing as. And really, it's no slower than FFVIII. FFVIII is far and away the slowest in terms of its battle system while FFVII was the fastest. FFIX is in the middle with its animations not being as drawn out as FFVIII's but still existing unlike FFVII where your characters just instantly hit the deck when KO'ed and stuff.

Granted, FFIX has the FFXIII problem of you can't really assemble your party for half the game.... It's not a perfect game. I don't think its cast is as good as I used to. I'm not as blown away by Zidane and Garnet's love story. (I think Kuja is still possibly the best FF villain, though.) The world is also pretty bare with only one or two continents having real life on it. This is a problem in the other FFs too, though.

On the whole though, it does more right than wrong and it has some exceptionally high highs. It certainly has several of the most memorable parts in the franchise for me. Meeting Beatrix in Burmecia, Cleyra being destroyed, the assault on Memoria....

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 14, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

NikkolasKing posted:

And really, it's no slower than FFVIII. FFVIII is far and away the slowest in terms of its battle system while FFVII was the fastest.

No loving way. FFVIII is pretty crisp. Hit a command and you'll be executing it within seconds. In FFIX I can execute a command and they'll do it 10-20 seconds later.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

To me it came down to it being a charming as gently caress Fantasy tale. It made me feel like a Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale. The German translation I played was top notch and gave people regional German accents.

The World feels alive and lived in, especially Lindblum. Every character is recognizable by their silhouette alone. Freya is a rat dragoon.

As a kid I didn't care about the mechanical flaws much, I had all the time in the world. Yeah, it wasted a few characters, but compared to 8s cast of one off idiots, I cared a lot more about Zidane, Dagger, Freya, Vivi and Steiner and if course Ruby.

Edit : 8 didn't resonate with me at all and I think it's hot garbage to this day.

I can still close my eyes and remember scenes from Ix despite never replaying it.

This, for me. VII and IX are the PS1 titles I've gladly replayed even recently. My mid-disk 3 VIII save will probably languish because I can't be arsed to finish it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I mean, full comparison. My old YT account has FFVIII footage. My new one has FFVII footage. Both are the way I like to play FF: Active, fastest speed.

FFVII - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kwEHEd8aRU

FFVIII - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uHpjoec0gY

I do not have IX footage, but I know for a fact that's wrong. ATB is supposed to be feel snappy. IX is not snappy. I love how ATB feels and I do not get the same kick from IX.

FFVII and VIII speed are very similar.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, Steiner, and Freya are some of my favorite final fantasy characters, to the point where they can carry Eiko, Quina, and Amarant.

Plus Beatrix is cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Himuro posted:

You guys were talking about IX earlier.

Can someone please explain why people love it so much? I find the game a terrible slog, the gameplay is too easy even by ps1 FF standards, the "customization" isn't fun, the dungeon design is crap especially after VIII's, more than half of the cast aren't even interesting or are wasted. It's such a chore on replays and I don't understand how or why people put it above games like FFX and the fact that the likes of Sakaguchi and Uematsu called it their favorite is flat out bananas to me. Playing the original game on ps1/ps2 hardware is drat near torture for me due to the load times and battle speed even on the highest active setting.

I'm truly curious as I find it the most forgettable FF between IV-XII. I simply do not get the appeal beyond Vivi and Steiner. It has a massive problem similarly to IV where there's really only one way to play it, making it boring as gently caress on replays.

I'm giving it another run after this replay of VII, so please tell me things to look out for when I do.

It's fun

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF9 has more charm than most games and feels something like a storybook. It takes itself not nearly as seriously as other entries. After FF7 and FF8 it’s a welcome respite before everything went all Kpop in later entries.

Sometimes it’s nice to have a melodrama about nice, goofy, hopeful people with a good story.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

jokes posted:

FF9 has more charm than most games and feels something like a storybook. It takes itself not nearly as seriously as other entries. After FF7 and FF8 it’s a welcome respite before everything went all Kpop in later entries.

Sometimes it’s nice to have a melodrama about nice, goofy, hopeful people with a good story.

Compared to the grittiness of FF8, the light silliness of it really hit the spot. The art style did sort of the same thing, feeling like a throwback to the SNES days, so for fans of the franchise it was like a hug from an old friend. Its probably overrated, but I've always loved that game

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

This is another thing people say about FFIX that's beyond bizarre to me. Your title is from FFVII, a game that features chibi characters where a macho tough dude dresses up in drag and then threatens to cut off a local gangsters dick off with his buddies. Later on in the same disc a black dude dresses up in a sailor suit while admiring himself in the mirror, and a talking wolf dog tries to stand on two legs while posing as a sailor. Later still, we have this

It also has a play where the main character twirls around on his tippy toes, following the lead of a King.

Final Fantasy VII was a very goofy game.

While FFVIII is more serious, it also features a soldier that cramps when he gets close to girls, teenage boys call each other "chicken wuss", and a teenage girl with aspergers that has an obsession with trains. Never mind chasing a UFO with an alien called a Pupu and fighting a giant loving cactuar.

That's without mentioning the small, comedic moments between the actual cast like Rinoa kicking Irvine down some stairs or Zell's obsession with hot dogs.

The idea that FF had started to "take itself too seriously" was complete, utter bullshit even back in the 90's. Final Fantasy is always hokey but it still does things with seriousness. FFIV and VI are no different. The game that features "son of a submariner" also happens to be the game where a main character tries to kill herself after the world literally ends.

Ergo, IX isn't special.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 14, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvrpUChD23w

FF9 was really dark at times.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
7 and 8 were both very futuristic in a lot of ways, where 9 was a return to high fantasy and melodrama (the game starts off with a play to stage a kidnapping).

the characters in 9 have a lot of, well, character. Vivi goes through one of the more tragic arcs in all PS1 FFs, Zidane is a more rogue-ish character compared to Cloud and Squall. the battle system is a return to more traditional games (4-person parties, classes instead of interchangeable parts), and the soundtrack is the best one and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

if you don't like any of that, then fair play. but I think it's silly to pretend to not know why some (a lot) people would enjoy it

I have never hated a video game character more than I hated Brahne after Cleyra

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

jokes posted:

After FF7 and FF8 it’s a welcome respite before everything went all Kpop in later entries.

I don't really get the k-pop accusations. While k-pop became an international phenomenon in recent years, it had already been on the radar in Japan for a decade so the recent boom hasn't really had any influence, especially not on the nerd sector. Are people just putting all Asian pretty boys in the one box? Because Japan has its own set of fashion trends unrelated to any Korean influence. In particular, the Noctic gang's style is based on Shibuya men's fashion trends which date back to the late 90's.

morallyobjected posted:

the battle system is a return to more traditional games (4-person parties, classes instead of interchangeable parts),
As someone who just started IX off the back of VIII, this is one of the most welcome parts for me. I get that some people enjoy the customization factor but it just feels a lot more strategic to me if characters have certain fixed skill sets. The battle speed is painfully slow but I have to protect Vivi so I'll just have to deal with it.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 14, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I played FF9 and forgot basically everything about it within a year whereas I kept a pretty good memory of both 7 and 8. It was solid and I had fun but there was nothing about it that made an impression on me

(By this metric 10 would be my favorite but it's the one I have serious nostalgia goggles for so I gotta handicap it a bit)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

morallyobjected posted:

I have never hated a video game character more than I hated Brahne after Cleyra

I'd have been perfectly happy to stay in Cleyra forever... :(

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

You're doing 0 damage with fire because you're not getting through the enemies magic defence, the basic elemental magic is useless by the time you reach the Phon Coast. Fira should still be effective, try switching to that in your gambit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Himuro, you asked why people liked it, they told you, and now you're trying to argue with them. That's weird. You don't have to like it. I don't care for VI which I know is an unpopular opinion but I don't try and convince people they're wrong wth Facts and Logic.