Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I heard Holloman AFB was getting some F-35's and the F-22's were getting sent away.

Fake edit: nope that was cancelled about a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

How many F-35's are out now? I was flying alone the shoreline yesterday and flew over what looked like two in formation on a long final to a runway at Eglin. I know there is at least one of them out there because I've seen it land in formation, one time with an F-15 and one time with an F-16, and NAS Pensacola

Wiki is p. meticulous with these kinds of things and it says 63.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

ctishman posted:

Now let's see it do that trick in less-than-ideal seas.

:ssh: it's probably more capable of it than a human pilot would be...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

:ssh: it's probably more capable of it than a human pilot would be...

I wonder how much the LSO is controlling that thing.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

vulturesrow posted:

Absolutely. Their are multiple VR routes in Washington and honestly the best ones in the United States are those. I'd almost guarantee the route you saw them on was the VR-1355 which is the best one of the lot. Prowler / Growler guys fly them a lot. All the Navy Prowlers and Growlers (with the exception of the reserve squadron) are based in Whidbey along with the FRS (training squadron) so those routes get used a lot. You might also see them if you do any hiking on the Olympic peninsula as their is MOA over that area that is used a lot.

Thanks, I didn't realize they had specific routes they took. I plugged in VR-1355 into a search engine in hopes of getting a nice map of all the training routes, but all I found was this awesome video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ELJkITPr0A

The video didn't have any familiar landmarks so I may have been on a different route (just north of Highway 2, just SW of Glacier Peak).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I see that and think, "Bird Strike Alley."

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I just got off the phone with Progressive and realized I gave the first three digits of my drivers license number as "fife one tree". :psyduck:

I think I need to take some days off.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Polymerized Cum posted:

I just got off the phone with Progressive and realized I gave the first three digits of my drivers license number as "fife one tree". :psyduck:

I think I need to take some days off.

I have this really dumb habit of reaching to my left arm anytime I need a pen. Force of habit that probably comes across as mild OCD to the bank teller or cashier or whatever.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

I have this really dumb habit of reaching to my left arm anytime I need a pen. Force of habit that probably comes across as mild OCD to the bank teller or cashier or whatever.

Holy moly :aaa: I do the same thing, and sometimes get all the way to un-velcro-ing the flap that isn't there before I realize i'm not in a flight suit.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Polymerized Cum posted:

Holy moly :aaa: I do the same thing, and sometimes get all the way to un-velcro-ing the flap that isn't there before I realize i'm not in a flight suit.

Look at this new guy who kept the flap.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Gotta have something to keep the pens in there during their BK's inevitable autorotation.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I heard Holloman AFB was getting some F-35's and the F-22's were getting sent away.

Fake edit: nope that was cancelled about a year ago.

Holloman is getting half of Luke's F-16 training mission. Holloman was supposed to be the last of the F-22 bases to get it's full compliment of aircraft, but when the buy got slashed that plan got canceled so they had to find something to put in its place. There's still a half-assed squadron of F-22s there but they're shutting down early next year and moving the aircraft to Tyndall. Other than that it's the MQ-1/-9 FTU for MCE (the dudes who actually fly the missions, not take off and land) and the Luftwaffe are still there, but they needed something else...so Holloman gets half of Luke's F-16 training mission and then a year or two (:lol:) down the road Luke gets a couple of F-35 training squadrons to stand up the F-35 FTU.

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder how much the LSO is controlling that thing.

He's not. X-47 is autonomous-ish, the human is just in the loop to tell it what to do, the plane more or less flies itself as far as direct control inputs and the like. It's not like Preds/Reapers where the human is hand flying the thing the whole time (or at least when the autopilot-ish function isn't engaged).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A team from University of Toronto have won the Igor Sikorsky Human Powered Helicopter competition, which includes a $250,000 prize. How'd they do it? With a monstrous yet extremely lightweight quadrotor powered by a dude on the better part of a bicycle frame. How monstrous are we talking? The quadrotor takes up a great deal of an indor soccer park, and the blade speed seems to be on the order of about 10 rpm.

The team website. Great job, folks! Now let's see you flip it through a moving window frame like the GRASP lab manhacks!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thanks, I didn't realize they had specific routes they took. I plugged in VR-1355 into a search engine in hopes of getting a nice map of all the training routes, but all I found was this awesome video:

Skyvector Link:
http://tinyurl.com/n2ktek4

I've got the map cursor over the beginning of VR1355 so you can follow it and see where it goes. Altitudes are found on the Low Altitude Charts under the Military Routes section, but I can't find the chart that has VR1355 listed. The second link has all of its buddy's details, but nothing about VR1355.

Also, VR routes are for VFR aircraft. IR routes are IFR aircraft. For IR routes, ATC has to sterilize the airspace of IFR aircraft around the route during the active times provided by the pilot or controlling agency. VR routes do not require IFR or VFR traffic to remain clear, so watch out!

IR route separation is done using non-radar procedures, since the participating aircraft are often too low to be picked up on radar, and they don't talk to ATC while in the route anyway (often too low for radios). Non participating IFR aircraft are kept at least 1000ft above or below the route, or a certain distance laterally depending on the width of the route. This separation is maintained until a time specified by the controlling authority or participating pilot. At Corpus Christi, we ask the pilot for their Entry, and Exit times, as well as their time over a fix we have named which we know to be outside of our airspace. Once the clock hits the entry time, regardless of where the aircraft actually is, we begin separating from that route's airspace. Separation continues until the time provided over the known fix which is outside our airspace. These T-45s dive down into those routes and haul rear end at 200ft AGL and we never know exactly where they are along the route, so times are the only way to separate.

EDIT: Watching your Prowler video, I can't imagine what sort of "training" these guys are really going. Looks more like horsing around to me. Training shouldn't be that much fun.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 11, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

Holloman is getting half of Luke's F-16 training mission. Holloman was supposed to be the last of the F-22 bases to get it's full compliment of aircraft, but when the buy got slashed that plan got canceled so they had to find something to put in its place. There's still a half-assed squadron of F-22s there but they're shutting down early next year and moving the aircraft to Tyndall. Other than that it's the MQ-1/-9 FTU for MCE (the dudes who actually fly the missions, not take off and land) and the Luftwaffe are still there, but they needed something else...so Holloman gets half of Luke's F-16 training mission and then a year or two (:lol:) down the road Luke gets a couple of F-35 training squadrons to stand up the F-35 FTU.

He's not. X-47 is autonomous-ish, the human is just in the loop to tell it what to do, the plane more or less flies itself as far as direct control inputs and the like. It's not like Preds/Reapers where the human is hand flying the thing the whole time (or at least when the autopilot-ish function isn't engaged).

Yeah I PCS-ed to Holloman in early 2010 when they thought they were getting the rest of those 22's. We had about one and a half squadrons worth of manning (including complete leadership for both AMU's) but only enough jets for maybe 3/4 a squadron? We weren't even getting new birds, Langley and Elmendorf would get the new ones and we'd get sent their old and busted crap (because you know they were going to get rid of the problem jets). The whole thing was a mess and since we had twice the leadership it was a weekly dog and pony show of some bullshit so those folks could justify their jobs.

It was a great place to be an A1C 5-level though. I think I spent most of my time on the line babysitting kids right out of tech school and bitching about how the F-15 was better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

The LSO is in charge of the deck though, hes the one that is controlling the landing of the manned air craft, telling them to add/decrease power and when to go around. I'm wondering if this drone can be controlled in the same tight manner and if its not how they could possibly integrate that with carrier ops.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Perhaps the UAV utilizes the instrument landing system on the carrier?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Gotta have something to keep the pens in there during their BK's inevitable autorotation.

You must be confusing us for a 206 operator.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

The LSO is in charge of the deck though, hes the one that is controlling the landing of the manned air craft, telling them to add/decrease power and when to go around. I'm wondering if this drone can be controlled in the same tight manner and if its not how they could possibly integrate that with carrier ops.

I would assume that the LSO simply tells it to land (like placing a waypoint), and the aircraft knows the deck inclination, roll e etc with sensors on the deck and if detects that the landing is not going acording certain parameters it waves off and tries again.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You think the landing signal officer interfaces with the UAV? I guess it's possible but that seems weird.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah but what about wave offs due to conditions on the boat and not the plane?

We're possibly over thinking a proof of concept though.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I can't wait until Luke get the F-35's. The Downwind to base leg of their fligth path is right over the top of my house. Can't wait to see those suckers in action every day.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
True, there would need to be a way to send the UAV around. Not sure how it's accomplished.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

A big red abort button that instructs the UAV to hit the gas and turn left?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^ the meatball board or whatever it's called has a bunch of red lights for the purpose. Could detect that I suppose.

Well, what do they do with the current UAVs?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The MQ9 UAVs are hand flown for that phase of flight as far as I know. ATC tells the pilot to go around and they go around. There isn't even a delay since the UAV uses regular radios when that close to the base.

You also don't really do much else in the area while the UAV is operating, so the chances of requiring a go around by ATC are minimized. You don't run squeeze plays on the runway when the UAV is coming in/going out.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 11, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

A team from University of Toronto have won the Igor Sikorsky Human Powered Helicopter competition, which includes a $250,000 prize. How'd they do it? With a monstrous yet extremely lightweight quadrotor powered by a dude on the better part of a bicycle frame. How monstrous are we talking? The quadrotor takes up a great deal of an indor soccer park, and the blade speed seems to be on the order of about 10 rpm.

The team website. Great job, folks! Now let's see you flip it through a moving window frame like the GRASP lab manhacks!

Holy poo poo what an amazing monstrosity!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The Ferret King posted:

Military routing stuff

Another reason they tend to remain radio silent is to practice EMCON. If you're not emitting any EM signals at all it helps to reduce your ability to be detected.

As for F-35s, only operational unit that has them right now (and by "operational", I mean non-testing) is VMFA-121 at MCAS Yuma. My little brother is one of the pilots in that unit.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just got done seeing White House Down (it's loving fantastic best movie of the year). It's a legitimate feel good late 90's giant rear end, implausible, FUN action movie.

There's a scene (not a spoiler really at all) where the pilot of Air Force One comes over the PA to announce that everyone needs to hold on tight because this is gonna be the most violent takeoff they've ever felt. He then says that they're going to climb to 35,000 ft in 45 seconds. *smash cut to CGI AF 1 in a 90 degree climb leaving the runway in its dust*

Awesome.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Had no idea 747s had a thrust to weight ratio above one! :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Had no idea 747s had a thrust to weight ratio above one! :v:

Squeeze 4 of the biggest GE90s onto an empty 74 and it's drat close. :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

last time a 747 tried to pull off a stunt like that, it didn't end so well. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:drat:

I'd say too soon but I laughed at a 777 Vref joke on irc earlier so...

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.
Speaking of X-47B stuff, it apparently spent the night at the D-1 hangar here at Wallops Flight Facility. These pictures are from the photo lab group here at Wallops. There were taken last night.

I might swing past the hangar at lunch and see if it's still there.

Edit: Apparently it came here because it waved off it's 3rd landing on the carrier. I guess they are right of the coast somewhere. Cool!

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/after-two-historic-carrier-landings-navys-x-47b-drone-scrubs-6C10604261

block51 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 12, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess we cursed it!

Previa_fun posted:

Squeeze 4 of the biggest GE90s onto an empty 74 and it's drat close. :v:

See but theres so many cool looking but plausible things that they could do with 74s in movies. Like say, a JATO assisted take off, a tactical descent while dropping flares, etc.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hobbesmaster posted:

^^ the meatball board or whatever it's called has a bunch of red lights for the purpose. Could detect that I suppose.

Well, what do they do with the current UAVs?

Like Ferret King said, Preds/Reapers are hand flown, the landing is accomplished by a pilot at the airport it's landing at, he's controlling it through a line of sight radio connection (and yes, they use radios on the ground at the airport, although the aircraft do carry standard ARC-210 so they can communicate VHF/UHF when being flown via satellite). Global Hawk, on the other hand, lands autonomously. It is "piloted" using a keyboard and mouse, all you do is set waypoints and tell it what to collect intel on, the plane flies itself, to include takeoff and landing.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Just got done seeing White House Down (it's loving fantastic best movie of the year). It's a legitimate feel good late 90's giant rear end, implausible, FUN action movie.

There's a scene (not a spoiler really at all) where the pilot of Air Force One comes over the PA to announce that everyone needs to hold on tight because this is gonna be the most violent takeoff they've ever felt. He then says that they're going to climb to 35,000 ft in 45 seconds. *smash cut to CGI AF 1 in a 90 degree climb leaving the runway in its dust*

Awesome.

Hahahaha, movie of the year right there just for that scene alone.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Ugh, christ.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23294760

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BBC posted:

An Ethiopian Airlines Dreamliner named the Queen of Sheba - the same plane involved in the Heathrow incident - flew from Addis Ababa to Nairobi on the first commercial flight since the grounding.

So this one had the fix and still burst into flames?! jfc Boeing.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
That buzzing sound you all hear in the background is the flurry of 787 orders being switched to A350.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

:drat:

I'd say too soon but I laughed at a 777 Vref joke on irc earlier so...

What's the AI IRC?

Wind River :negative: