Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Pendent posted:

Basically playing the Lamentors?
Pretty much.

Or bust out Only War rules, play as an Ogryn regiment, and make everyone a Bone'ead, AKA discount Space Marines.
And hey, like Neophytes, it's like cramming the mind of a child into a hulking weapon of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Would it occur to stranded space marines to use chainswords to chop down trees?

Ask a lord’s blacksmith to retrofit some armor for giant dudes in return for doing the labor of 100 lumberjacks.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Send down a squad of Storm Wardens instead. They won't need the chainswords and will just go to work ripping the trees out of the ground and caber tossing them towards the blacksmith's. They'll consider it good practice for when they run into CSMs.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I really hope the new system plays well. Having all the FFG books, it is really going to have to be an improvement to make me switch over.

Which is definitely possible, as something more streamlined would be a huge benefit.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really hope the new system plays well. Having all the FFG books, it is really going to have to be an improvement to make me switch over.

Which is definitely possible, as something more streamlined would be a huge benefit.

I'm just hoping it's not too setting-based, like I want to transplant the new rules to the DH1 (8-teens, M41) setting.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I totally agree here. The FFG system isn't perfect, but this has to play "better " and not just different for me to decide to fully commit.

I mean, I'm going to be at gen con, so I'll still buy wrath and glory while I'm there.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Schadenboner posted:

I'm just hoping it's not too setting-based, like I want to transplant the new rules to the DH1 (8-teens, M41) setting.

There was an interview yesterday in which they said that the Imperium Nihilus setting will be a campaign book and then there will be a “Doom of the Eldar” campaign book after that, so it sounds like you could transplant it pretty easily.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

PantsOptional posted:

“Doom of the Eldar” campaign book
Congrats to Susan on getting your campaign published so quickly!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Rockopolis posted:

Congrats to Susan on getting your campaign published so quickly!

That wraithlord had it coming :colbert:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am still sad FFG didn't get to do more Only War books.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

wiegieman posted:

That wraithlord had it coming :colbert:

I still have no idea how that adventure ended the way it did. Tanking a Wraithlord and Farseer then driving a sanctified van into the Webway...

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

susan posted:

I still have no idea how that adventure ended the way it did. Tanking a Wraithlord and Farseer then driving a sanctified van into the Webway...

I cannot wait to collect more dangerous eldar weapons to use against daemons. We're Malleus, if someone has an issue with it, tell xenos and the cog fuckers.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

susan posted:

The Righteous Movement is not a "Van", it's a Sport Crusade Vehicle.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Okay, so I went through and took notes from the interview, here you go.

The designer took a lot of inspiration from 5th Edition D&D, Torg Eternity, and WEG Star Wars, all of which become pretty obvious when you delve into the mechanics. One specific thing he mentioned was that he wanted combat to be more in line with 5E, where you can use a map and tokens/minis but they're not absolutely necessary.

As mentioned earlier, the game will have Tiers of play representing general power levels of both the PCs and the challenges they face. A Dark Heresy group would be Tier 1, while the game tends to assume a default of Tier 3. In previous discussions he revealed that Tier 3 is where you might find a starting Tactical Marine, for example.

The game is specifically designed to allow whatever kind of game you want, with guidance on how to establish a framework to define the sort of party that's appropriate. The default setting is made to allow mixed parties (he specifically mentioned a Space Marine, Skitarii, Corsair, and Commissar in one party), though it may be difficult to reconcile situations where one player wants to play an Imperial character and one wants to play some sort of Chaos heretic.

Characters will have specific keywords which have some mechanical impact and which unlock options for character growth. For example, in order to be a Commissar a character must be human and must have the IMPERIUM keyword. No indication what others might be but it doesn't seem super hard to guess.

Archetypes are... well, they're not quite Classes/Careers per se. The way he phrased it, if you think of "character class" as a spectrum with D&D on one side of it clearly defining nearly everything about a character's growth over time, archetypes are a little over halfway to the other side of the spectrum. Archetypes give special abilities and starting wargear but past that character generation and advancement are pretty open-ended.

Talents are ways to customize your character and should sound pretty familiar. They're where you might find things like specializing in dual-wielding. The skill list, by comparison, will be very clearly defined.

Backgrounds are also going to be pretty familiar. They provide some sense of your character and also come with a small gameplay effect. For example, one of the play sessions had a PC whose background enabled her to call on an Inquisitorial contact for a favor, which ended up being crucial at the climax of the session.

The dice system has already been covered, except for the Wrath Die which is very reminiscent of WEG Star Wars/Ghostbusters. One of the dice in every roll will be a special differently colored die (and of course they'll sell special dice for this). If it comes up a 1, the outcome suffers a complication of some kind in addition to whether it passes or fails - think "yes, but" or "no, and" kind of stuff. If it comes up a 6, that's a critical hit in combat (crits are rolled on a chart) and outside of combat it adds a point of Glory to the party pool.

Glory is a shared resource among all players. It allows the players to mess with initiative order, add damage, or add dice to rolls even after any rerolls are done. It sounds like Glory is pretty powerful stuff.

Wrath is a personal resource, tracked independently by each player, and can be used to reroll dice, restore shock damage, or declare minor changes to the narrative (of course there's a promethium barrel here for me to shoot).

Campaign Cards will sound very familiar to anyone who's played Savage Worlds or Torg Eternity. They're a player agency tool for changing the narrative in a scene. Each player is dealt one card from the deck at the start of each session, and there was no indication as to whether any of them are "play when X" or if you can just toss them down whenever, but if you don't play your card by the end of the session it goes back in the deck. Two examples he gave were "There is only war," which levies major penalties to diplomatic efforts for the scene but gives all PCs a point of Wrath. Similarly, "I am Alpharius" indicates that someone in the scene isn't who they appear to be, and gives the players either Wrath or Glory (he forgets which). The interpretation of these cards is up to the GM and not every card will necessarily be a narrative benefit to the PCs but they all give points of some kind as an incentive to use them.

The first product group will be the GenCon launch, with the core rulebook, beginner box (which will look a lot like the SWRPG boxes, with dice and a beginner adventure), and the "Dark Tides" adventure anthology consisting of a series of linked adventures (although you could run each independently). The core book will have 4 species (human, ork, eldar, and ???) and 32 archetypes.

The second product launch will be the Imperium Nihilus campaign book later in 2018, providing more setting material for the Dark Imperium (apparently a lot of it is being written for them by ADB). He specifically mentioned that the Dark Mechanicus will be outlined in this book among other things. It will also contain more species, archetypes, talents, and backgrounds.

The third product group will be the Doom of the Eldar campaign book (available ???), which will include everything Eldar. Craftworlds, Crone Worlds, Exodites, Black Library, the Webway, playable Farseers. The host brought up the idea of a playable Wraithlord and the designer didn't seem to think that it would work well but he'd think about it.

There's also a lot of stuff he really wanted to fit into the core but couldn't, such as Titans, Knights, Dreadnoughts, and newer AdMech stuff like the various types of Skitarii. He said that these things are still on the table for future expansions - "it's not a never, it's just a not now."

Finally one of the things that he mentioned is that the little art previews they've been putting out on Facebook and Twitter are in fact representative of some of the archetypes, so I went through them and wrote up a list of them below, including ones he mentioned here and ones that were seen in the play example comic. This is by no means a complete list (19 out of 32) and I could be mistaken about some of them but as far as I know it's correct:

Imperial Guardsman, Commissar, Ministorum Priest, Death Cult Assassin, Crusader, Inquisitorial Acolyte, Tempestus Scion, Scabby (mutant that gets even more mutated as you progress), Adepta Sororitas Hospitaller, Adepta Sororitas Battle Sister, Skitarii Ranger, Techpriest, Scout Marine, Tactical Marine, Eldar Warlock, Eldar Corsair, Ork Kommando, Ork Boy.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am so down for Eldar RPG.

:sparkles:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Pretty much everything about this has got me fully erect, I can’t lie.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm generally a proponent of more focused games than ones that try to give people everything all at once but 40K is so many things to so many people that honestly it makes a lot of sense for them to take the approach they're taking where you have the tools to do regular humans, marines, more badass level humans, and various aliens all in one core book, then fleshing things out through supplements. I know one of the big frustrations people had with the initial announcements behind the original 40K RPGs was being told, for instance, that they'd have to wait through two other core rulebooks plus assorted supplements before getting the rules to run a space marines game.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Sounds pretty cool all around, although I don't think I agree with the notion that going mapless in 5E is a good idea. W&G might shake out differently in mechanical terms, of course.

I wonder what the fourth core race will be. Tau maybe? Off the top of my head I can't really think of any other races that are notable enough to warrant inclusion in the core book and are at least somewhat suited to existing in a party alongside humans and whatnot.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Scrunt. :getin:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I mean you might not consider space marines "human" if you're thinking races and not factions.

Edit: nevermind, vote changed to scrunt

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pharmaskittle posted:

I mean you might not consider space marines "human" if you're thinking races and not factions.
Arguably not, but as playable Astartes have been very explicitly confirmed I'm not sure why they wouldn't just be revealed as the fourth race if it's indeed them.

Scrunts would be hilarious though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Necrons, obviously.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

:psydwarf: Squats :psydwarf:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Oh, something it looks like I forgot to write from my notes: the core rulebook will have rules for both starships and vehicles.

I'm also very curious to see what the extra species will be in the campaign book. If Tau isn't in the core, I'd bet it's in the campaign book, but I'd also like to see them cover all sorts of abhumans. Not just scrunts and their inferior cousins the squats of course but jokaero and ogryns and ratlings too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PantsOptional posted:

Oh, something it looks like I forgot to write from my notes: the core rulebook will have rules for both starships and vehicles.

I'm also very curious to see what the extra species will be in the campaign book. If Tau isn't in the core, I'd bet it's in the campaign book, but I'd also like to see them cover all sorts of abhumans. Not just scrunts and their inferior cousins the squats of course but jokaero and ogryns and ratlings too.

I'm assuming at some point down the line they'll probably do a full-fledged "Only War" style book focusing on Guardsman stuff at which point ogryns and ratlings will be a shoe-in if they don't make an appearance earlier. Have Jokaero ever been playable in any game? All the fluff I've ever read about them paints them as more of a plot device than actual characters.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I don't get the "well, some players might want to play a heretic, which might be an issue" thing. When a DM is running a campaign, he probably already has an idea of where it's set and what factions gonna partake in it. You don't have to allow someone to play a scrunt or worse, Tau, if you don't think it fits.

Also, I really don't have an issue with the focus of FFG RPGs on particular factions. Focus is good! Meanwhile, the first RT game I played, I was the only human as the RT.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, I'm guessing the "framework" discussion is mostly about how to make a mixed party run smoothly when you're doing so and probably also typical GM advice stuff. The specific comparison with one player as a chaos dude and another player as an Imperial was phrased more like "this doesn't really work at all."

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ah man, the way they're talking about the structure of Wrath & Glory sounds so promising. the possibility for further expansions is almost endless. imagine with me: Terra - The Age of Strife, the campaign book

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I would play a game of doomed Thunder Warriors and early Space Mahrines fighting tehno barbarians, a name so 40k I grew black carapace.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Fourth "race" is probably Chaos, it's pretty much a staple these days.

Thanks for the write-up PantsOptional. I can never get into dev interviews.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Would "Chaos" be a race? Wouldn't that just be determined by a "faction tag?" So a [human] with [chaos] is now a heretic, a heretic with [mechanicus] would be Dark Mechanicus, and a heretic with [space marine] would be a CSM? (assuming Space Marine isn't the race, which it very well might be.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

JcDent posted:

I would play a game of doomed Thunder Warriors and early Space Mahrines fighting tehno barbarians, a name so 40k I grew black carapace.

i'd rather set it mid-way in the Strife. play the techno barbarians. that, or make the player characters part of the very first cadre of custodes

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zeal posted:

i'd rather set it mid-way in the Strife. play the techno barbarians. that, or make the player characters part of the very first cadre of custodes

Techno Barbarians sound like the mortal enemies of the Disco Boys from Mystery Men

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

Techno Barbarians sound like the mortal enemies of the Disco Boys from Mystery Men

these claws ain't made for dancin

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Having to keep your arms raised like that must be murder on the shoulders.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I bet he has excellent traps

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Simultaneously run a game of Secret Hitler Heretic alongside Wrath & Glory but all the Fascist laws have all already been passed several times over.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The fourth race is going to be Tau. Necrond if we're lucky though.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

The fourth race is going to be Tau. Necrond if we're lucky though.

Orks orks orks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Here’s a weird lore question that I can’t find the answer to: is it possible for someone who isn’t already psychically active to become a psyker later in life? Not necessarily something like powers laying dormant until well past the normal time when they start to manifest (puberty?), but more along the lines of weird experiments or phenomena pushing people past their normal limits? I was thinking of having the opening of the Great Rift suddenly cause a mass awakening on a planet close to it but didn’t know how plausible that might be.