Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Nition posted:

You could just parent the camera to the actual character - rotate the camera X 90 degrees and put it right above them, then it'd follow them around. Hmmm, but it'd turn with the character too and you probably don't want that.

OK so just have a separate camera, and tell it to move to where the player is via script. Here's a script; put this on your camera and assign your player to the Target via the inspector, and see if it's what you want:

code:
using UnityEngine;

public class MoveCamera : MonoBehaviour {
 public Transform Target;
 public float HeightAbovePlayer = 15.0f;
 Transform tr;

void Start() {
  tr = transform; // Since we reference the transform constantly, it's faster to save a reference to it
 }

void Update() {
  if (!Target) {
   Debug.LogError("Please assign a target for the camera.");
   return;
  }

Vector3 newPos = Target.position;
  newPos.y += HeightAbovePlayer;
  tr.position = newPos;
 }
}

Oh wow. That was quick, thanks! I'll give this a go when I get home. I appreciate the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
Hello game-dev thread!

I'm at the point where I really need to test my game. I'm pretty sick of playing it after 4 months so some fresh eyes would be awesome! If anyone is keen to play/give feedback I'd appreciate it. It's for iOS, so iPhones/iPod touches at the moment (not sure how it would play on the iPad or if I can even build it for that yet.)

If you do want to help out you can send your Testflight email address via PM or email it to me - rhysdavies1 at gmail visit this link! https://testflightapp.com/join/321373d1f08d8dfd44573e426fbc6b0b-OTEzOTA/. I'm just after any general "bugs/feedback/it would be cool if (but not too much work)" comments.

If you missed it previously in the thread check it out here - http://www.takemymachete.com

Also, if anyone ever needs someone to test their game/give feedback, hit me up via the means above or twitter @ rhysdee. Always happy to help!

RhysD fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 4, 2012

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Vankwish posted:

Alright, here you go.

It's got a Greenlight message at the end, but ignore that. I'm not after votes from here just comments about the gameplay itself and if you guys are interested in this more old school type of game.

I realise that there are lots of guys here who are a bit upset with unfinished games being on Greenlight so I don't want to upset anyone but I do want some feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JlfYm4SJBM

Looks awesome. My only feedback so far would be to make the enemy ships some color that contrasts with the environment. Spotting black and red enemies in a black and red maze is tricky. At the moment the enemies' health bars pop out a lot more than the enemies themselves, which doesn't seem ideal. Otherwise, looks awesome.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

tehsid posted:

Oh wow. That was quick, thanks! I'll give this a go when I get home. I appreciate the help!

Haha, it's really only three lines of code. Oh and if you want the camera to stay at an exact height, instead of staying a certain amount above the player, just remove the + from:
code:
I'm not sure how much of a newbie at this you are, but I can explain what the script does if that helps. It's basic enough that it's probably also a good starting point for understanding Unity scripting.

Polo-Rican posted:

Looks awesome. My only feedback so far would be to make the enemy ships some color that contrasts with the environment. Spotting black and red enemies in a black and red maze is tricky. At the moment the enemies' health bars pop out a lot more than the enemies themselves, which doesn't seem ideal. Otherwise, looks awesome.

I agree with this also. I thought it might just be that I was watching a tiny YouTube video so I didn't mention it originally.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Vankwish posted:

Alright, here you go.

It's got a Greenlight message at the end, but ignore that. I'm not after votes from here just comments about the gameplay itself and if you guys are interested in this more old school type of game.

I realise that there are lots of guys here who are a bit upset with unfinished games being on Greenlight so I don't want to upset anyone but I do want some feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JlfYm4SJBM
Looks cool. Question, you said it's partially inspired by Quake....which part? Because immediately it reminded me of a mod, but I forgot what it was called. It had graphics similar to yours, lots of black cubes with bright neon edges, set in black space. Anyone remember that?

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev
That has been a common comment from many people and I do plan to look into it.

I'm not at all happy with the look of enemies close up right now so when the time is right I will be doing some experimentation on how to make them look ... erm ... cool.

Maybe after the redesign they will be more visible. If not, I will consider giving them an outline shader like in borderlands but obviously it would be a bright colour rather than black.

I've been redesigning the upgrade interface today. I find GUI work can be very time consuming in Unity. On the one hand I like the way Unity only gives you the basic GUI building blocks so that you can do pretty much whatever you want with them, but creating complex GUI's is very time consuming.

I've already got 600+ upgrade modules in the game and I expect that will rise to over 2000 so creating a slick uncluttered interface for them is my job for the next couple of days. I'm simply not happy with the layout of the existing interface. You can see pics of it here.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111075014&tscn=1354635992

With as many as 80 upgrades for a single upgrade slot, the existing spreadsheet style wasn't working when the scrollview only let you see 3-4 at once.

The new design is much better. It uses a grid system, allowing the player to see 30 at once, with a pop up window showing the statistics for each upgrade when the mouse hovers over them. I'm done with it for today though. Time for a bit of down time.

Hopefully nobody minds me rambling on a bit. :)

Orzo posted:

Looks cool. Question, you said it's partially inspired by Quake....which part? Because immediately it reminded me of a mod, but I forgot what it was called. It had graphics similar to yours, lots of black cubes with bright neon edges, set in black space. Anyone remember that?

The Quake part is the feel of the combat and the weapons. So like in Quake you run at 40 miles an hour and do instant flick aiming. Neon has that same speed of movement during combat, and instant aiming. Elite did the same thing, not many people remember that.

It's not trying to be a spaceship simulator but a great fun game. The ship actually uses proper physics and momentum (zero gravity) but the thrusters create enough force that unless your flying something very heavy you can move around like in quake. You have strafing both sideways and up and down and can move in any direction at the same speed. It's not all forward momentum with slow turning. Even the heaviest ships can do instant turning.

The other Quake part is the weapons. Neon's Main Guns are super fast projectiles. The Machine gun in Quake is a hit-scan weapon I know but they are very similar, especially damage wise.

Then it has the classic rail gun. High damage, 1 second reload.

Plasma gun : Big heavy slower projectiles doing the max damage per second but hard to hit the enemy with.

Then it has the Lightning gun : that's a hit scan weapon in Neon just like in Quake with a similar damage per second.

Those are the parts taken from Quake. Nothing else really.

Oh, I have a missile that is dumb fire like the rocket launcher in quake and does splash damage too.

I plan to have many more weapons but the idea is to balance them all so that no weapon is best but each weapon has a time and a place where it's effective. The same is true of the 30+ ships the player can fly. The plan is to have them balanced so your starting ship remains a perfectly viable choice of ship all the way to level 80. It has speed on its side to make up for lack of shields and energy.

Vankwish fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 4, 2012

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Wow, thanks for the quick replies, everybody. I'll check out Futile when I do something 2D. As for now, I'm planning for an old mechwarrior/starsiege sort of stompy robot game.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Whelp, this just landed in my inbox.

Guess I better make a game now...

edit: Now I have two spare 3 day tickets to PAX.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Mug posted:

This is the Melbourne one yeah?

If so I might see you there. Are tickets still available to buy?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

tehsid posted:

This is the Melbourne one yeah?

If so I might see you there. Are tickets still available to buy?

Three-day tickets sold out, unless you want a "BYO PC" one. I think all the 1 day tickets are still there.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Hey, I didn't know there was an Australian PAX now. That's close enough that I might actually be able to go to it/show a game at it one day. I wonder if "Australian Indie Showcase" is strict about being only for actual Australian developers.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Nition posted:

Hey, I didn't know there was an Australian PAX now. That's close enough that I might actually be able to go to it/show a game at it one day. I wonder if "Australian Indie Showcase" is strict about being only for actual Australian developers.

AIS is for Australia only, but the Indie Pavilion (which is subsidised but limited to a select group) is for Australia and New Zealand.

I'll be applying for AIS as soon as it's open for applications, if I get accepted, I get a way bigger booth and don't have to pay anything.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Sweet, thanks for that information.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

I didn't see anything in the OP, but is there an IRC channel or anything you guys hang in? I'd love to have a 'live' way to pick somebody brain or share my awful prototypes in.

Nition posted:

Haha, it's really only three lines of code. Oh and if you want the camera to stay at an exact height, instead of staying a certain amount above the player, just remove the + from:
code:
I'm not sure how much of a newbie at this you are, but I can explain what the script does if that helps. It's basic enough that it's probably also a good starting point for understanding Unity scripting.

I'd love if you could. I've got a basic idea of Javascript but, yeah, I'm still a noob.

Thank you though!

tehsid fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 5, 2012

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:

Mug posted:

Congratulations yo!

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

Mug posted:

Nice! I think my boss has a few tickets to that, might try and nudge one in my direction ;)

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Tehsid, an explanation of the code. Here's the full code again:

code:
using UnityEngine;

public Transform Target;
 Transform tr;

void Start() {
  tr = transform; // Since we reference the transform constantly, it's faster to save a reference to it
 }

void Update() {
  if (!Target) {
   return;
  }

tr.position = newPos;
 }
}
That's in C# by the way (and you'd need to put it in a .cs file called MoveCamera), but much the same concepts apply to Javascript.

Let's do it by parts.

code:
using UnityEngine;
This just includes Unity's stuff - its objects and functions and things that you can use. Javascript doesn't need this because it does it automatically.

code:
Javascript doesn't need this either, and when you make a C# file in Unity it'll add this code for you. The file name has to match the class name here or Unity gets angry. The ": MonoBehaviour" means the class extends Unity's built-in class called MonoBehaviour, that lets the script be added as a component and lets you use Unity-specific stuff in the file. Anyway, this is all done for you when you make a new file.

code:
public Transform Target;
Transform tr;
Some variables. Each GameObject that you place in Unity has a Transform, which is basically its position and rotation in the world. Unity lets you set public variables from the inspector, so I've made a public Transform called Target so you can easily assign your character from the Unity interface. When you drag your character GameObject to Target, Unity will automatically link its Transform here.

HeightAbovePlayer is just how far the camera should be above the player. It's a float because positions in unity are floats. It's public so that you can change it in the inspector, but be warned, if you change it in the inspector and then change that default 15.0 in the code, it'll keep your inspector value! That's tripped me up a few times.

Transform tr is a reference we'll assign in a moment.

code:
void Start() {
  tr = transform; // Since we reference the transform constantly, it's faster to save a 	reference to it
}
Unity automatically calls any method called Start() in a script when it's created. This isn't really needed here, but "transform" is a property which is slightly slower to access than a direct reference. Since we're going to be accessing it constantly, I'm saving it as a reference so we can use that instead.

code:
 void Update() {
  if (!Target) {
   return;
  }
 }
Unity automatically calls Update() every frame. Here I first exit early if the target isn't assigned, then we get to the code that really does something...

code:
Put the current player position into a new vector called newPos.

code:
Move the y position of that vector up by whatever you've set for HeightAbovePlayer. In case you're really new to programming, += is the same as writing
newPos.y = newPos.y + HeightAbovePlayer;

code:
tr.position = newPos;
Assign the transform of THIS object to newPos. Since this script should be on the object with the camera, this'll make the camera move.

You could actually do all three lines in one super line:
code:
tr.position = new Vector3(Target.position.x, Target.position.y + HeightAbovePlayer, Target.position.z);

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Jesus. Thank you for that! That makes far more sense then what I was making of it.

Mostly because I was referencing it to javascript, which also explains why I had no luck getting it working last night.

I'm going to try it tonight, and see what result I get, then I'll try and write it myself. Thank you again mate, I appreciate it a lot!

What are the best books/website to study and learn more about c#? I think I could use some study in it rather then javascript as it looks far easier to understand for me.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

RhysD posted:

Also, if anyone ever needs someone to test their game/give feedback, hit me

I've got a Unity game if you want to give it a shot.

http://bovinefury.com/LifeTaxesAndDeathFiles/ltd_unity/play.html

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Unity Javascript's not too bad. The one thing I really don't like is how they kind of hacked on type casting, so whereas in c# you write Vector3 newPos, in Javascript you write var newPos : Vector3 which is kind of weird.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

BovineFury posted:

I'm going to be honest when I say the theme of the game didn't really interest me all that much, but I liked the general idea! There might be a bit much going on for the first time player however. Could you increase the speed the tiles appear and things such as the tax evasion and calculators as time increased? I was just matching colours (trying to put in a calculator one whenever I could) and pressing submit taxes when I saw a shaking question mark.

Also, the "holding tile" part confused me in the tutorial, perhaps having the selected piece glow with an outline instead of placing it on that side UI element might be easier to see what's going on.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Nition posted:

Unity Javascript's not too bad. The one thing I really don't like is how they kind of hacked on type casting, so whereas in c# you write Vector3 newPos, in Javascript you write var newPos : Vector3 which is kind of weird.

Javascript inherited this from ECMAScript. It's the same in other languages that sprung up from ECMAScript as well, like Actionscript. The C# method looks weird to me :shobon:

Also, grats Mug on getting into PAX! The UK could really do with a big event like that.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Nition posted:

You'd have an aneurysm if you saw my source code, which is all stuff like var movieClip:MovieClip = Movieclip(root.movieclip) as MovieClip

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

RhysD posted:

I'm going to be honest when I say the theme of the game didn't really interest me all that much, but I liked the general idea! There might be a bit much going on for the first time player however. Could you increase the speed the tiles appear and things such as the tax evasion and calculators as time increased? I was just matching colours (trying to put in a calculator one whenever I could) and pressing submit taxes when I saw a shaking question mark.

Also, the "holding tile" part confused me in the tutorial, perhaps having the selected piece glow with an outline instead of placing it on that side UI element might be easier to see what's going on.

Speed and harmful piece rates do increase, just not in a linear manner.

Do you remember which profile you played as? Did you notice the tabs that appear in the tab bar at the bottom of the screen? If so did you try clicking them? For the easy and simple profiles I added a bouncing arrow to try and highlight them more so the user would know they could be clicked.

For holding in the tutorial, maybe bouncing arrow over the piece on the board, and then the arrow goes to the held piece when it is picked up?

The theme was actually from a SA game dev challenge. Death and Taxes.

BovineFury fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 5, 2012

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Polo-Rican posted:

You'd have an aneurysm if you saw my source code, which is all stuff like var movieClip:MovieClip = Movieclip(root.movieclip) as MovieClip

Interesting as3 tidbit, doing MovieClip(thing) runs slightly faster than thing as MovieClip for some stupid reason.

Edit: Actually, here's a set of slides from a conference talk I went to a few years ago about performance tips in as3: http://gskinner.com/talks/quick/#1
Good info for anyone working in Flash.

The slides are actually made in Flash so the performance results it displays are generated in realtime, like so: http://gskinner.com/talks/quick/#44

HelixFox fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 5, 2012

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

BovineFury posted:

The tutorial dumped me into super-fast-hard-omg-wtf-I-don't-know-what's-going-on mode once it was finished, so maybe it should go into easy mode instead. Also, picking up tiles (rather than swapping them) didn't really seem to have much use other than to confuse me as to what is going to happen when I click on a tile. I'm horribly sleep deprived at the moment, so that could account for part of it at least.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
Hi guys, stop me if this has already been answered, but I've been spending the last few years mostly unmotivated and churning out games using Flash and Flixel for the Ludum Dare 48 hour game dev jams. I've seen a lot of people recommending Futile for Unity, and I have been thinking how nice it would be to finally free myself from these shackles to Adobe I've been wearing for a little longer than I would have liked. For anyone familiar with Flixel and Futile, how do these frameworks measure up (if they can even be directly compared)?

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

ZombieApostate posted:

The tutorial dumped me into super-fast-hard-omg-wtf-I-don't-know-what's-going-on mode once it was finished, so maybe it should go into easy mode instead.

That is apparently a new bug. It did dump you to the hardest one.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Yesterday I rearranged the profile order to be based on piece drop speed. This meant what used to be at the easiest slot was now the hardest. :shobon:

I put up the fixed version. Nice catch.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

HelixFox posted:

Interesting as3 tidbit, doing MovieClip(thing) runs slightly faster than thing as MovieClip for some stupid reason.

:eng101: Interesting C# tidbit, doing (MovieClip)thing is also slightly different than thing as MovieClip because the former throws an exception right away if it can't be cast, while the latter will silently cast it as null.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Cirrial posted:

Hi guys, stop me if this has already been answered, but I've been spending the last few years mostly unmotivated and churning out games using Flash and Flixel for the Ludum Dare 48 hour game dev jams. I've seen a lot of people recommending Futile for Unity, and I have been thinking how nice it would be to finally free myself from these shackles to Adobe I've been wearing for a little longer than I would have liked. For anyone familiar with Flixel and Futile, how do these frameworks measure up (if they can even be directly compared)?

Don't even worry about how they measure up, just start learning Unity now. That's like saying "I've been eating cat poop but want to start eating beef, how do the two measure up?" Just upgrade!! Here's some motivation (look at point 3):

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/182380/postmortem_mcmillen_and_himsls_.php?page=3

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Don't even worry about how they measure up, just start learning Unity now. That's like saying "I've been eating cat poop but want to start eating beef, how do the two measure up?" Just upgrade!! Here's some motivation (look at point 3):

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/182380/postmortem_mcmillen_and_himsls_.php?page=3

Hey, that's not an entirely fair comparison! That's AS2 and Flash. My fault, I mentioned Flash, but I actually compiled everything through Flex, used a real IDE (because there are basically no IDEs out there worse than the one supplied with Flash) and never needed FLA files a single step of the way. Flixel with Flex is at least cat food. :colbert:

While I'm pretty sold on the idea of learning how to use Unity, I kind of have enjoyed the part of Flixel where I can throw together a prototype in a couple of hours. It's lead to this loop where because I only seem to make games for rapid development game jams, I only use things that I can make games fast in, and so I only use Flixel, so I get better at Flixel and therefore it becomes the fastest framework I can work with.

I haven't really looked into Unity so far because I am absolutely abysmal at modelling and figuring out the UV wraps and the textures and the widgets and the gewgaws, and apparently my brain melts when trying to plan out basically anything in 3D. The last time I tried to make a simple character model it came out looking awful and took me a solid week. I know over a year ago I went through the basic Unity platformer tutorial offered with little issue, but 3D level design and assets and everything kind of terrify me. This is kind of why I wanted to know more about Futile, but I'm wondering if I'm better off just getting over myself and taking the plunge into actual 3D stuff.

Thanks for the answer!

Edit: just to be clear I'm looking into Unity and didn't just completely ignore what was said, Flash stuff still has a lot of issues

Cirrial fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 5, 2012

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Cirrial posted:

Hey, that's not an entirely fair comparison! That's AS2 and Flash. My fault, I mentioned Flash, but I actually compiled everything through Flex, used a real IDE (because there are basically no IDEs out there worse than the one supplied with Flash) and never needed FLA files a single step of the way. Flixel with Flex is at least cat food. :colbert:

While I'm pretty sold on the idea of learning how to use Unity, I kind of have enjoyed the part of Flixel where I can throw together a prototype in a couple of hours. It's lead to this loop where because I only seem to make games for rapid development game jams, I only use things that I can make games fast in, and so I only use Flixel, so I get better at Flixel and therefore it becomes the fastest framework I can work with.

I haven't really looked into Unity so far because I am absolutely abysmal at modelling and figuring out the UV wraps and the textures and the widgets and the gewgaws, and apparently my brain melts when trying to plan out basically anything in 3D. The last time I tried to make a simple character model it came out looking awful and took me a solid week. I know over a year ago I went through the basic Unity platformer tutorial offered with little issue, but 3D level design and assets and everything kind of terrify me. This is kind of why I wanted to know more about Futile, but I'm wondering if I'm better off just getting over myself and taking the plunge into actual 3D stuff.

Thanks for the answer!

Edit: just to be clear I'm looking into Unity and didn't just completely ignore what was said, Flash stuff still has a lot of issues

I used to do a lot of stuff in AS2/3 before moving to cocos2d before moving to Unity3D/Futile. I'm prototyping and iterating faster in Futile than I ever have before.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Is there a good set of tutorials or reference for Futile anywhere? I watched the videos on the main page and poked around its subreddit for a bit, but I'm trying to find a list of the different classes to go through.

I found that my school is taking part in the Global Game Jam, so I'm hoping I can get a bit more comfortable using Unity by then, anyone ever take part in it before and have any advice?

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

Polo-Rican posted:

That caused me a genuine laugh out loud moment :mmmhmm:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I have my own Line Of Doom (actually it's two lines now):
draggedPartTrans.FindChild("Model").GetChild(0).GetComponent<MeshFilter>().mesh.bounds.size;

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Hello goons. Behold my weak attempt at a Minecraft clone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3etgRY5D5k

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
That's more than just a Minecraft clone! Great start. Man, that's ambitious though. I can see that being one of those games where it'll be "six months away" for the next five years.

Nition fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 6, 2012

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

BovineFury posted:

The orange/green/yellow were almost indistinguishable for me (mild red/green colourblindness). Perhaps consider adding some sort of clear distinction that's not colour-based, or ensure that hue/brightness varies along with colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalia
Jun 11, 2007

Vino posted:

Hello goons. Behold my weak attempt at a Minecraft clone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3etgRY5D5k

This is a great start with some real potential. Good job! It strikes me more of an Infinity clone than a Minecraft one, however.