Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I updated the reserved post with a bunch of links to poo poo we didn't show off, FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I know the speculation when this ending hit around my friends was that Flemeth might have taken over Solas but I quashed that by pointing out how the body was treated. And I somewhat believe it was willing because she's shown doing SOMETHING with one of the mirrors prior and she obviously knew he was coming and presumably what was going to happen if she waited for him there. So either she gave it to him and that's why she was saying sorry for leaving him alone, or she knew he was going to do that and so the act of staying was her permission for it to happen. Either way though Solas is now a lot more powerful.

To talk more about the boss fight....yeah pitifully easy. And the explanation for how you permanently kill Corypheus is a bit....lack luster(And the shoving him into the fade thing makes you not actually know if you DID kill him despite the song and dance of 'if you kill the dragon it will disrupt his respawning') but they expect you to just go along with it because they couldn't think of another way to kill someone who is functionally a arch-demon that can spawn from dark spawn OR Wardens. The best idea I personally had for how to do it though was to basically put Ander's(Or someone like him. Warden + inhabiting spirit) near him if Ander's survived then kill Corypheus and force him into a body already inhabited by a spirit that could fight him and that way disrupt his ability to find a new body.

And further if your character is in love with Solas(As basically all the girls I know who played this game did for some reason.) and knows how much he wants the orb its a biiiit odd that your character just goes 'woo got back the orb, corypheus is ready for the the finishing blow. Time to spike a priceless relic in the endzone.' and just drops it on the ground under the falling rocks. Over all though.....a much better ending then ME3 but still full of issues.....not enough to make the ride of the game not worth it though.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Chaeden posted:

I know the speculation when this ending hit around my friends was that Flemeth might have taken over Solas but I quashed that by pointing out how the body was treated. And I somewhat believe it was willing because she's shown doing SOMETHING with one of the mirrors prior and she obviously knew he was coming and presumably what was going to happen if she waited for him there. So either she gave it to him and that's why she was saying sorry for leaving him alone, or she knew he was going to do that and so the act of staying was her permission for it to happen. Either way though Solas is now a lot more powerful.

To talk more about the boss fight....yeah pitifully easy. And the explanation for how you permanently kill Corypheus is a bit....lack luster(And the shoving him into the fade thing makes you not actually know if you DID kill him despite the song and dance of 'if you kill the dragon it will disrupt his respawning') but they expect you to just go along with it because they couldn't think of another way to kill someone who is functionally a arch-demon that can spawn from dark spawn OR Wardens. The best idea I personally had for how to do it though was to basically put Ander's(Or someone like him. Warden + inhabiting spirit) near him if Ander's survived then kill Corypheus and force him into a body already inhabited by a spirit that could fight him and that way disrupt his ability to find a new body.

And further if your character is in love with Solas(As basically all the girls I know who played this game did for some reason.) and knows how much he wants the orb its a biiiit odd that your character just goes 'woo got back the orb, corypheus is ready for the the finishing blow. Time to spike a priceless relic in the endzone.' and just drops it on the ground under the falling rocks. Over all though.....a much better ending then ME3 but still full of issues.....not enough to make the ride of the game not worth it though.

With so many stories out there about how Dread Wolf betrayed and murdered the goddess Mythal, I guess he figured that he may as well make them true. Besides, without the orb, he had to make up for his power deficiency somewhere. I just wonder how the latest crop of writers are going to spin that last scene. Gaider already went on the record with to what he was trying to set up, but all bets are off now that Patrick Weekes controls the lore.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

It definitely feels like they're trying to develop the setting into something more fantastic as the series progresses.

Circa DAO I complained that though there we all these amazing things in the backstory, Thedas was still in some ways a generic fantasy setting where normal (european) feudal stuff was everyone's day-to-day everyday except for either rare people, who were kept isolated in magi circles anyway, or for rare and exceptional events like Blights. Dragons were around too but rare enough that they weren't affecting anyone yet. The same could be said of dwarves who confined themselves to orzammar, elves whose glory was confined to the past and magisters who barely left tevinter. That sort of status quo seems like a begrudged default for fantasy settings, there's amazing things in those worlds but almost no change to it otherwise. DA2 was a good step forward in this regard, the mage-templar war made the fantastic and mundane bump heads in a major way, paladins/wizard fights were taking place in peasant's fields all over the world by its conclusion.

With DAI it's nice to see the setting continuing to mature on this end. Sandal's prophesy started coming to fruition here, what with the titans, breaches, etc all happening in DAI. I did like the dragon scholar studying dragon hunting patterns almost like a biologist would, stuff like that is another way that the fantastic and mundane can bump heads in worldbuilding :allears: but there were so many other similiar clashes this time around there's no point in listing them all :allears::allears:

Some of those branching ending slides are going to be tough to follow up in later games tho :ohdear:

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
I'm so glad I stumbled into this LP - I thoroughly enjoyed the whole lot. I never suspected the amount of twists and turns, and like I mentioned before - amazing amounts of character bursting at the seams.

Also, if you do another LP - maybe do it on the PC - I can't believe the trouble it must have been to get it all together AND for your first LP!

Thanks Subponticate for showing me this game I never knew existed a few months ago!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

hard counter posted:

Some of those branching ending slides are going to be tough to follow up in later games tho :ohdear:

They're probably going to move on further north to minimize the impact of these first three games. All the games as of yet have taken place in the deep south of Thedas, so we've got more than half the continent left to work with.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Geostomp posted:

They're probably going to move on further north to minimize the impact of these first three games. All the games as of yet have taken place in the deep south of Thedas, so we've got more than half the continent left to work with.

While dat ending alone for DAI was enough of a hook for sequel, did they drop any other secretive hints for locations and events this time around? The merchant nexus golem in DA2 talked vaguely about the stone awakening under orlais and sandal's prophesy referenced the breach and other events.

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011
I'd also like to add how much I've enjoyed watching these videos - I've been one of those lurkers you have mentioned in the past, just popping in to watch the videos and read the comments. This is exactly the kind of thing I love in a Let's Play, I don't believe I would ever play this game, but it's been great fun following along and finding out what this is all about (even if a lot of it went right over my head). Your effort is appreciated, Subponticate Poster.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

hard counter posted:

While dat ending alone for DAI was enough of a hook for sequel, did they drop any other secretive hints for locations and events this time around? The merchant nexus golem in DA2 talked vaguely about the stone awakening under orlais and sandal's prophesy referenced the breach and other events.

Something weird's happening at Warden HQ in the Anderfels and there are ominous notes about a possibly hostile force from another continent coming up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

auzdark posted:

I'm so glad I stumbled into this LP - I thoroughly enjoyed the whole lot. I never suspected the amount of twists and turns, and like I mentioned before - amazing amounts of character bursting at the seams.

Also, if you do another LP - maybe do it on the PC - I can't believe the trouble it must have been to get it all together AND for your first LP!

Thanks Subponticate for showing me this game I never knew existed a few months ago!
Aw, thanks. I will not do an LP using a PC because a) I only own a crappy laptop and don't have the inclination to purchase something that would be able to do an LP, b) I don't like PC gaming because then I have to worry about drivers and compatibility and PC requires weird poo poo like muxing - the recording from the PS4 is ready to use right away, I only re-render it to add commentary and music. If they ever patch in the ability to auto duck audio (I recorded the first 2 videos of the LP commentary with the PS4 and the audio blows) then I'd just use it instead of the extra steps. Really I'm just a loving moron for deciding my first foray into LP should be with a 150-hour game.

Glad you liked the LP, DAI is A Pretty Good Game.

hard counter posted:

There's a really not loving subtle hint at the end of Trespasser.

divedivedive posted:

I'd also like to add how much I've enjoyed watching these videos - I've been one of those lurkers you have mentioned in the past, just popping in to watch the videos and read the comments. This is exactly the kind of thing I love in a Let's Play, I don't believe I would ever play this game, but it's been great fun following along and finding out what this is all about (even if a lot of it went right over my head). Your effort is appreciated, Subponticate Poster.
D'awwww. :3: Now that the main game is done if there's anything you don't get feel free to ask. Being this is the third installment of a series if you haven't been playing the games there can be a lot of lore that you've never seen.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So that final battle: Corypheus lifts up the entire castle thingy hundreds of feet into the air, right? And then we kill him and.... we just go home? Did we jump? Why is this the one game in the history of video games where the final boss wasn't a load-bearing boss? The whole area you were in should've come crashing down when it no longer had a crazy demon mage holding it in the air. Castle falls, everyone dies.

The dialog when fighting the dragon really confused me. It made it sound like you had a choice- you could fight the dragon yourself, or you could go get Morrigan back on her feet. I spent several minutes running around looking for Morrigan while the dragon roared and stamped and threw a tantrum, but she's nowhere to be found. Not sure why that dialog was even included if there's nothing you can do about it.

This video also taught me that the Ben Hasserath apparently do very impressive leg exercises. Bull was "sitting" at the table, but he didn't have a chair. He was just doing a very impressive gravity-defying squat.

Anyway, so that post-ending was just a big ball of unanswered questions. I believe Solas says he couldn't "open it" after his long sleep- open what? Why did he think giving his orb to Corypheus was a good idea? Fen'Harel was supposed to have tricked all the elven gods into Exile- maybe he was trying to "open" a portal to the fade to, uh, let them out? Maybe Solas hoped to trick Corypheus into opening a portal and letting the gods out. But Corypheus was all like, "Orb's mine now, nerd! I'mma gonna go into the fade myself and sit in a big fancy chair to become god."

Was the orb the only way to do whatever he wanted to do? Is that why its breaking is so bad? Why does someone have to "pay the price" for what he did? What price? Is that what happened to Mythal- she took the punishment for him? Punishment from whom or what? Why did her croaking (if indeed that's what happened) power him up? Why do "the people" need him and not, say, Mythal?

Also, I don't recall if it's been explained in the thread, but in DA:O the final twist is that a gray warden has to kill the arch demon, so that the arch demon soul jumps into the Warden and the Warden dies. Otherwise the soul goes into some other darkspawn and the demon just regenerates. Morrigan found a way to channel the arch demon soul into a warden-baby fetus. If you get a warden to sleep with her, she then becomes pregnant with a child that's got the soul of an Old God. If you took that path, sure enough, Morrigan has a very nice young boy in this game, with an Old God soul apparently.

In that case, instead of just meeting Flemeth at an altar near the end of the game, you find Morrigan freaking out because her kid went into her Aluvian. She convinces you to help her look for him. Going through the Aluvian, you're suddenly walking around in the Fade again, in the flesh. Eventually the path leads to Flemeth standing with the boy. Morrigan tries to attack her and gets stopped, similar to what we saw in this playthrough. Flemeth gives the same Mythal reveal. She also gives Morrigan a choice- Flemeth gets to keep the kid but will leave Morrigan alone forever, or Flemeth will continue "pursuing" Morrigan (presumably to take over her body) but Morrigan gets to keep the boy. Morrigan chooses to keep her kid, and Flemeth extracts the Old God soul from him, while telling Morrigan she could never take over an unwilling host and Morrigan was never really in any danger. Point is, Flemeth ends up with an Old God soul.

And then Flemeth seems to die. It seems like this would just cut off the whole "old god soul child" thing that has been brewing for three games in a really unsatisfying way. But I guess we'll see.

Incidentally, there seems to be a lot of fan speculation that the "Old God" souls that have been turning into Arch Demons are actually the missing Elven Gods, but who knows!

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 9, 2015

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Some people presume that Mythal was putting the old god soul she took into the Eluvian she was standing near when Solas walks up. As for the Orb considering that to wake it up Corypheus needed Tevinter mages, Gray Wardens, and the killing of the pope..... I'm assuming it had some pretty hefty power requirements to unlock and Solas you might recall starts at level 2 or so. As for the elven gods my personal theory bends largely on this "During the event the Dalish elves refer to as the Great Betrayal, the Dread Wolf Fen'Harel was said to have tricked both sets of gods: locking the Forgotten Ones away from the world in their realm of the abyss, and shutting the Creators away in their realm of the heavens." if true I presume the elven gods aside from Mythal were locked away in the fade, and the forgotten ones are the dragons that were also worshipped by tevinter and we're locked away in the 'abyss' or underground where all the darkspawn eventually find their way to them to corrupt them and they otherwise seem to lay in eternal slumber. Whether any of this is true or not relies on them giving us a straight answer but they are my theories.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The biggest point of contention that anyone would have full right to have with this game is that the ending displayed in this video is not the game's ending. It was the ending that was available at launch and while it was passable and still let you keep playing after the game ends, it didn't really resolve anything. Yes Corpypheus is dead, but it turns out he was just a puppet that unknowingly cut his own strings and was of no real importance to the machinations of unnamed mysterious forces.

Trespasser actually finishes this one story of the Inquisitor, explains all of the confusing moments that come out of nowhere, and leads into the next game directly. There is no guesswork to be done once Trespasser finishes. You know exactly where the next game is going to take place, what is going to be the driving goal, and what happens to the Inquisitor and crew. You find out everything you could want to know about the various hitches in the main story, what is the orb, who is Fen'Heral, what was the whole point of Corypheus, and most importantly, WHY is the world so hosed up anyways. Hell, you even have a rough timetable for when everything is going to go to poo poo again.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
So did anyone else notice Leliana had a nug on her divine screen? It made me squee, especially since she was my romance in Origins and I went through the steps of getting her a pet one.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Chaeden posted:

. I'm assuming it had some pretty hefty power requirements to unlock and Solas you might recall starts at level 2 or so.
Maybe I'm just a giant loving nerd but I :lol:ed pretty hard at this.

Thesaya posted:

So did anyone else notice Leliana had a nug on her divine screen? It made me squee, especially since she was my romance in Origins and I went through the steps of getting her a pet one.
Yes, it's Schmooples!

And yes, Trespasser definitively answers a lot of questions so if you're going :psyduck: stick around and almost everything is explained (it opens up at least one new WTF plotline but that's something we can discover in future games).

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

This LP has been a blast. Well done on finishing the main story (144 hours! :psyduck:). I think the soft Leliana ending is definitely the best one, as in it's the only one that doesn't leave a mountain of corpses clogging up every Chantry in the land.

I'm probably going to have to stop watching now, as I still haven't played Trespasser and want to be unspoiled for when I finally get round to it.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Repeating myself from the games thread here I don't believe that the old gods of Tevinter are related to anything elven. First of all the old gods were active long after the elves "lost" their gods and secondly Solas himself says in a Skyhold conversation that nothing in any lore connects them to "his people" and he should really know.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

SubponticatePoster posted:

And yes, Trespasser definitively answers a lot of questions so if you're going :psyduck: stick around and almost everything is explained (it opens up at least one new WTF plotline but that's something we can discover in future games).

I might have to wait for trespasser then if we're going down the path of :speculate:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is an excellent LP, even more so for being your first. But I can understand you if you don't want to LP anything ever again, an expansive RPG is rarely the right game to start LPing with.

Corypheus says "Look at you, wearing slave markings on your face with pride." If you had romanced Solas (as only elven women can do), he would have told you that the Dalish facial tattoos were actual slave markings that the ancient nobles in Arlathan gave their slaves to honor the gods they favored.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
And you also get the option to have him remove them . You can tell him "nope, maybe they meant that once but they are different now " and he actually likes that answer.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Solas is, in general, rather supportive of elves who are committed in living in the world as it is than trying to resurrect an older culture.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
After several LPs, I have come to the conclusion that Dragon Age has the most boring fantasy setting I've ever seen, every part of which is straight genre fantasy cliches.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

After several LPs, I have come to the conclusion that Dragon Age has the most boring fantasy setting I've ever seen, every part of which is straight genre fantasy cliches.

I pretty strongly disagree with this. Name me another fantasy setting where a barbarian tribe is the most civil, polite group of people in the entire world.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Looks like somebody hasn't played Bound By Flame!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
That was great stuff. Thanks, SubponticatePoster. It's not something I was ever going to play myself, but it's great to get to watch the story play out.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
My first instinct after watching the end cutscene was that Flemeth jumped into Solas.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Smack talking Corypheus with "I don't believe in Gods!" is good, but I personally like the bottom option: "You aren't proving anything by talking."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
First hour or so of Trespasser recorded. Do y'all want me to split it up or put it into shorter videos? It's just us catching up with everyone with many amusing cutscenes.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
An hour of Let's Play all at once is, irrespective of how well it's done, perhaps kind of a lot to have to sit through all at once (That's half of a feature film!). 20-30 minutes sections is optimal, IMO.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bobfly posted:

An hour of Let's Play all at once is, irrespective of how well it's done, perhaps kind of a lot to have to sit through all at once (That's half of a feature film!). 20-30 minutes sections is optimal, IMO.

I agree. Better to have it in smaller sections, even if not too much happens. I still liked those part of Trespasser a lot.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Are you planning to show each character's last bit of post-boss-party dialog? They aren't much, but at least one of them seems relevant enough to show.

Also, I agree: shorter videos.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Once you get to meat of Tresspasser, you could easily do one "zone" per vid. I would personally like to get all the chatter on current state of each character in one go to keep it consistent and somewhat fresh, but if you don't want to upload about an hour then it's reasonable.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

GuyUpNorth posted:

Once you get to meat of Tresspasser, you could easily do one "zone" per vid. I would personally like to get all the chatter on current state of each character in one go to keep it consistent and somewhat fresh, but if you don't want to upload about an hour then it's reasonable.
That's what I was planning, the areas themselves only take about 20 minutes or so and then the "recap" for lack of a better word.

Looks like folks want shorter, so that's what I'll go with. I still cut out (most of) the mindless running around.

e:

Schwartzcough posted:

Are you planning to show each character's last bit of post-boss-party dialog? They aren't much, but at least one of them seems relevant enough to show.

Also, I agree: shorter videos.
I think I may not have recorded those, which one in particular did you want to see? If I don't have it I can always sum it up.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 11, 2015

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

This is the thanks I get

Trespasser. We jump 2 years into the future. Once you select the mission you're locked off from the map. It really is the end game. Both Orlais and Ferelden mucky-mucks are clamoring to do something about us, even though we saved the world and haven't been giant assholes. They've put enough pressure on Leliana that she calls a summit.

Now this first part before the Exalted Council actually starts can go a multitude of ways, depending on what you did during the main game. If you pissed anyone off enough to leave, they won't be here obviously. If you didn't have a good relationship with them they may be indifferent and not give you much info. Since we were buddies with everyone we get lots to do. There are also a shitton of notes, codex entries, and collectibles around here.

The mood isn't very optimistic, but for now we're going to enjoy time with our friends.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

As annoying as it is, the critics do have a point about the Inquisition overstepping its bounds now that the big threat they were called to fix is over. I know I wouldn't be comfortable with such a powerful group with so little regard for the laws of others and no clear purpose hanging around indefinitely.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
On the other hand, it's not a bad thing to have a neutral third party to help settle disputes with the capability to back it up. As long as we're not running around gobbling up territory or starting poo poo (and it doesn't sound like we have been). Or be Thedas's equivalent of the National Guard - provide troops and logistics in cases of disaster.

It's all academic anyway since it doesn't matter if your Inquisitor was a tyrant or Butts's benevolent drunk as far as the premise goes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cassandra's update is 100% hilarious if you romance her.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

grack posted:

Cassandra's update is 100% hilarious if you romance her.

Cassandra is great in almost any situation. They did a really good job writing her.

That reminds me, you absolutely have to post the Trespasser credits at the end of the LP, SubponticatePoster.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Torrannor posted:

Cassandra is great in almost any situation. They did a really good job writing her.

That reminds me, you absolutely have to post the Trespasser credits at the end of the LP, SubponticatePoster.
Yeah no worries there :razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Torrannor posted:

Shes adorbs!

Feels weird completely enjoying the hell out of 'kicking around and chatting to the dudes'. Maybe I should read more books.

Looking forward to the next ep/s!

• Locked thread