Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Siegkrow posted:

Ok seriously what the gently caress is it with creepers using the word "female" as a noun instead of an adjective??

I think you suspect the answer already, but just to confirm: it's because of open and uncorrected transphobia and/or homophobia. A person using 'female/females' as a noun instead of using woman/women is either doing so because they're either:

1) the sort of person who, if asked to explain themselves, will tell you: "I'm talking about biological females, not transwomen, so you know I'll still sleep with you if you're FtM *eyebrow waggle* but keep anything with a penis away from me I'm not gay!"

or

2) is someone who needs to get the gently caress off of 4chan / Reddit and go talk to some real live humans before they turn into #1.

In other words, it's the mark of a disgusting and broken individual or of someone who associates with disgusting and broken individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Okay I've not played the KOTOR MMO so could someone please expand on all these cunning references?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

The Kotor MMO has a (not archived) LP, although I dunno if the threads can be seen without archives acces

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

Okay I've not played the KOTOR MMO so could someone please expand on all these cunning references?

To put it very simply, the middle part of the Imperial Agent storyline has you pretending to defect to join a Republic special ops team. The leader of that team somehow knows that all Imperial Agents receive conditioning to obey orders (something the agent themselves don't know) and activates it. There are sections where talking to your Imperial Intelligence handler that you can select the dialogue option for "help I've been brainwashed" but your character actually says "everything's fine." It's pretty great.

mecharick
Nov 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think you suspect the answer already, but just to confirm: it's because of open and uncorrected transphobia and/or homophobia. A person using 'female/females' as a noun instead of using woman/women is either doing so because they're either:

1) the sort of person who, if asked to explain themselves, will tell you: "I'm talking about biological females, not transwomen, so you know I'll still sleep with you if you're FtM *eyebrow waggle* but keep anything with a penis away from me I'm not gay!"

or

2) is someone who needs to get the gently caress off of 4chan / Reddit and go talk to some real live humans before they turn into #1.

In other words, it's the mark of a disgusting and broken individual or of someone who associates with disgusting and broken individuals.

I mean, you could have just said incel...

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Moon Slayer posted:

To put it very simply, the middle part of the Imperial Agent storyline has you pretending to defect to join a Republic special ops team. The leader of that team somehow knows that all Imperial Agents receive conditioning to obey orders (something the agent themselves don't know) and activates it. There are sections where talking to your Imperial Intelligence handler that you can select the dialogue option for "help I've been brainwashed" but your character actually says "everything's fine." It's pretty great.

Fun fact, that plotline was where I gave up trying to be lightside on my agent. When that motherfucker on Taris used the conditioning to force me to do something I was going to do anyway, I was like, "Okay, I am killing all of you guys."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sweet geek swag posted:

Fun fact, that plotline was where I gave up trying to be lightside on my agent. When that motherfucker on Taris used the conditioning to force me to do something I was going to do anyway, I was like, "Okay, I am killing all of you guys."

It made me double down on being lightside on my main. I guessed right away that it was the Empire's mind control that the Republic had somehow gotten the codes to.

From the General's Desk: K'Tanco class battlecruiser

The K'Tanco class light cruiser is not a name synonymous with honor or glory in the Klingon Defense Force. To the fighting men and women of the KDF, these ships have for decades been known as 'corpse cruisers.' Contrary to what the uninformed might think, this is not a term of endearment. These light cruisers are a common sight as cadet training ships and patrol vessels in high-security regions of the Empire, not on the front lines.

This is because the K'Tanco class was born of a specific need during the Dominion War. With the vast majority of the KDF committed to the Dominion Front, the Klingon Empire's internal sectors and frontiers on the other side of the Empire from the Dominion were left dangerously exposed. To protect these regions and maintain a regular KDF presence, the Imperial Design Bureau commissioned a new class of light cruiser. This class was to be easy and fast to build, inexpensive to maintain, and have the staying power needed for extended patrols in low-threat regions.

More than a hundred ships of the K'Tanco class were built during the war, where they were primarily crewed by the elderly, the disgraced, and cadets still in training finishing their education in the field due to the demands of the war. Few saw combat, and less saw glory, but the K'Tancos served the need they were created for. With the war's end, many K'Tancos were summarily scrapped or converted into armed cargo vessels.

Pragmatically speaking, there's nothing wrong with the K'Tanco class. It's a fine light cruiser that was designed to be cheap and simple to build and operate, and is. Yet a sour reputation lingers on the cruisers, as everyone knows these ships were created to do work not important enough for real warships. Unlike most ships in the KDF, no refit program was ever authorized for the K'Tanco class, and none appears likely in the foreseeable future.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Last time, on Let’s Play Star Trek: Online … posted:

: You’ll save yourself a lot of pain if you tell us what actions D’Tan plans to take against the Tal Shiar.
: Hey Hakeev, remember the time I shot your ship so hard you lost an eye? Let’s talk about that instead.
: Worm! I know ways to loosen your tongue …

: Welcome to the ranks of the Tal Shiar. Colonel Hakeev has taken an interest in your progress, and he ordered me to assign you tasks to test your compliance in addition to your normal training.

: Soldier! Now that you’ve successfully completed your training, we need to recalibrate your medical files. Report to the medbay.

: You may not remember this, but we’ve met before. The conditioning you underwent can affect short-term memory. My name is Khimek. I’ve been working undercover for the Romulan Republic for months now. When I saw you onboard, I knew that Hakeev would be “indoctrinating” you and that I needed to do something. It took some time to find the right moment.

: Thank you, Khimek. I think … I think I wasn’t going to last much longer.
: Now we need to make your journey through fire and back worth something. Hakeev has a personal laboratory in the back of the Borg tech research area where he keeps his private research and information. This is data that even Empress Sela doesn’t know about.

: So how do you know about it, then?
: He’s had me clean it a few times. Just another glamorous day in the Romulan Star Empire. If you can get your hands on those files and get them back to the Republic, it will be a real victory over Hakeev. We’ll finally have the proof we need to go on the offensive against the Tal Shiar. If you can override the security keypads on those doors, you’ll be able to get through them without too much difficulty. But the doors are being watched by both the scientists and the guards in the area.
: I’ve been in the area, yes.
: You’ll need to distract everyone before you can access them without being caught. Trust me, you don’t want to get caught.

: Time to sow a little chaos. Just a few adrenaline injections, and ...

: I’m getting strange readings from the patient’s circulatory and endocrine systems! Those Borg nanites must be doing something interesting!
: That’s right, watch the Borg. Now …

: I’ll just put this fire extinguisher somewhere else ...

: And deactivate the fire suppression system …

: Oh noooo, somehow this patch of volatile chemicals has started on fire. Guards, quick!

: All right, Hakeev, what are you up to in here?

:ssh: What I Cut Out: This section is kind of like an old point-and-click adventure game. You have to collect various items from all over the ship (mostly in the Borg tech lab but also in the sickbay and the brig where you woke up) and then deploy them in the correct order to distract both the scientists and the guards. There’s a whole other room that requires more of the same that I’m cutting for time.

: I don’t know what any of these files mean but I’m taking them with me.

: I got them.
: You need to get off this ship immediately! All the transporters are locked down because of the alert. But the security chief has local override codes stored on the terminal in his office. Get there and get the codes! Once you have them, head to the nearest transporter room. I’ll contact Tovan Khev and let him know to expect you.
: What? How?
: He’ll have your ship in range for a transport. I’m afraid this ends our relationship, subcommander. I’m staying here; there’s still more I can do for the Republic. And I can’t be seen talking to you again. Good luck.

: See ya later, shitlords.

: Welcome back!
: Good to be back. Thank you for giving me a moment to get out of that … outfit. What’s our status?
: We’ve been following Hakeev’s ship since we picked up a subspace transmission from an informant who said you were on board. It’s been more than a week since you disappeared at Hobus. We’ve been searching for you ever since.
: A week?
: How are you? What did they do to you?
: It feels like I lived through a nightmare; I want to repay them in kind.
: Understood. We’ve been keeping the Romulan Republic apprised of our situation, and they are willing to send in reinforcements on your orders. We’re ready to get underway on your command.
: Set course for the IRW Khnial.
: That’s the Khnial? The ship we fought at Khitomer? How?
: I remember it was pretty heavily modified then, but that’s a completely different ship!
: He’s messing around with Borg tech.
: :stonk:
: Yeah. Drop the cloak and order the Republic fleet to do the same.

: This is Colonel Hakeev of the IRW Khnial, stand down or be … You! How did you escape? Irrelevant. You’ve been a thorn in my side for too long. It’s time to remove it.
: gently caress you, Hakeev. This time I’m taking more than an eye.
: It seems that our time together has left you with an inflated sense of self worth. Interesting. It might be a side effect of the indoctrination process. I’d prefer to study this in greater detail, but it would be best to simply destroy you and then apply what I’ve learned in the future.
: This ends here. You won’t get the chance to hurt anyone else. All ships, this is the Aethra. Open fire.

: We’ve almost got him! Keep firing!
: I’m detecting an Iconian power signature on Hakeev’s ship. It looks like someone has activated a gateway on board!
: No!

: We did it! Hakeev’s ship is gone!
: … Now give me the bad news.
: We ... did detect an Iconian signal before the Khnial was destroyed. It was probably Hakeev making his escape through a gateway.
: Even if he survived, perhaps this will cause him to think twice before challenging us again.
: Commander, are you ok? What happened to you on that ship?

: I … don’t want to talk about it. At least, not now. Omun, set a course for New Romulus … I’m sure Republic Intelligence will want to debrief me.

: …

: No.

: Why?
: No!!
: …
: Sedative should be kicking in soon. Computer, lights out.

: G̕o̴͟͢od̛͡n̨i̷̡g̨̛h̶̛t͞,͞͏͟ ̡͠͝S̷͟͡e̕k͢҉a̡͝h̷͜.̷

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 18, 2019

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Moon Slayer posted:

: We did it! Hakeev’s ship is gone!

It's been a long time since I last played this mission, but did you just kill the Republic spy who rescued you and was staying behind on that ship?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Geshtal posted:

It's been a long time since I last played this mission, but did you just kill the Republic spy who rescued you and was staying behind on that ship?

No, he shows up again much later.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Lol, I didn't even think about that. Yeah, let's say Hakeev gated his whole staff out of there.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Moon Slayer posted:

Lol, I didn't even think about that. Yeah, let's say Hakeev gated his whole staff out of there.

A villain who doesn't treat his best experts as expendable cannon fodder? No loving way.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Dr. Mishnerg bim Haush
Written by PoptartsNinja

Dr. Haush keeps telling himself he's going to retire. His joints ache after serving in Starfleet Medical for decades, but he can't quite bring himself to buy that little seaside cottage he's been eyeing on Tellar Prime while there are still people who need his wisdom and experience. Dr. Haush has seen more of the medical field than many practitioners, having worked his way up from a mere dental hygienist aboard the USS Sisko to a full on physicians assistant aboard the USS ... one of the Saratogas. The one that blew up (yes, he knows that doesn't narrow it down). Rescued only after spending weeks in a lifeboat tending to the various medical needs of an injured vulcan, human, and andorian crewmembers, Haush finally bit the proverbial bullet and upon their safe return to Starfleet applied for medical school and achieved his dream of becoming a full-fledged Starfleet doctor. While he's still more a general practitioner than a surgeon and his anatomy may be a touch shaky, his decades of direct medical experience have lent him a rather uncanny ability: while his first hasty diagnosis is nearly always in error, his second is nearly always correct.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Moon Slayer posted:

While he's still more a general practitioner than a surgeon and his anatomy may be a touch shaky, his decades of direct medical experience have lent him a rather uncanny ability: while his first hasty diagnosis is nearly always in error, his second is nearly always correct.

"Now open your mouth and let's have a look at that brain."

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

[Note: This is a filler mission, that just serves to move you into the right area of space for the next group of quests. I tried to break it up visually but couldn’t find enough people to do copies of the bridge officers. Still, enjoy a bunch of views of our new ship! Also, this mission takes place during the week that Sekah was undergoing indoctrination on Hakeev’s flagship.]

: Hello doctor. I just wanted to check in and make sure you had everything you needed before we departed spacedock later today.
: Absolutely not! This sickbay is a disaster, just like the rest of this ship! This is what happens when you put a child in command of a starship.
: Mhmm, mhmm. Just make sure you have enough medical supplies to keep yourself from keeling over from old age before we get to Starbase 39-Sierra.
: Ha! Sickbay is fully stocked and equipped, but tell that abomination that is our chief engineer that we’re still short of our power requirements and to get someone over here to fix the medical replicator before I inject someone with soup.
: Would you like me to ask her to install some step stools as well so you can reach the biobeds?
: Captain, I think we’re going to get along just fine. I’ll be sad when you crack your antenna-ed head on a door frame and forget your own name.

: Status?
: All departments report ready to depart, captain.
: Very good, Lieutenant Malthis. Is our passenger settled in?
: Yes ma’am. He was chattering some poor security guard’s ear off last I saw him. I extended your invitation to dine with us all tonight and he accepted.
: All right, let’s see what this new ship can do. Malthis, take us out.
: Benson, get clearance from traffic control for the Hood to depart.
: Earth Traffic Control has cleared us to depart, sir.
: Flores, retract all umbilicals and close the shuttlebay doors.
: All outer hatches are sealed, sir.
: Gor, disable tractor moorings.
: Disabled, sir.
: The ship is ready to depart, ma’am.
: Excellent. Helm, take us out, maneuvering thrusters only until we’re clear. Then set a course for Starbase 39-Sierra, warp factor 5.

: Thank you for joining us for dinner, doctor. Admiral Quinn never told me, but what’s your business at Starbase 39-Sierra?
: Starbase 39-Sierra is just my first stop. The USS Tucker is waiting for me at the starbase. From there, I’m going to the Hobus system. I’d be happy to answer any questions you have about that area. Fascinating place. I’ve made it my life’s work. This life, anyway.
: This life?
: I am a Trill. Some among my people are lucky enough to be joined with a symbiotic life form. We share our bodies with them, and in return they share lifetimes of knowledge and memories with us. I am Kahn’s seventh host, and most of us have been scientists. My predecessor, Lenara Kahn, was working to create artificial wormholes. I study the effects of supernova.

: I could use a refresher on what happened in this part of space.
: In 2387, the star in the Hobus system went supernova. The resulting explosion devastated the planets in the system, of course, but then it created a chain reaction that cut a path of destruction more than 500 light years long. More than a dozen systems were affected by the Hobus event, most notably the Romulus system. Both Romulus and Remus were destroyed. Billions lost their lives. The thing is, an M-class planet like Romulus should have been protected by its stellar magnetosphere and its planetary magnetic field. They act like shields to protect a planet from radiation, and a supernova blast is highly energetic radiation. If the supernova is large enough, it will overwhelm those defenses, but the Romulans should have had decades to prepare for the wave’s arrival. As it was, they only had hours. Ambassador Spock attempted to organize an evacuation, but the Romulan Senate refused. I guess the thought they had more time.
: Didn’t Starfleet try to help the Romulans?
: Ambassador Spock had a plan to stop the wave, but after the destruction, a Romulan named Nero blamed him. Nero had a ship of awesome power. We still don’t know everything about the Narada, but we think the Romulans used Borg technology to create it. Nero destroyed dozens of our ships, and even attacked a Klingon fleet led by General Worf. I hear Worf barely survived. Ultimately, Nero confronted Spock in the Hobus system. Spock managed to use red matter to create an artificial singularity to contain the worst of the supernova’s blast, but both he and Nero were lost.

: What is the current Romulan political situation?
: In a word, troubled. Sela rules what remains of the Star Empire, and isn’t shy about using the Tal Shiar and the military to bring systems back into the fold. Meanwhile, D’Tan and his Unificationists have formed the Romulan Republic. The Federation and the Klingons recently recognized them at Khitomer, while Empress Sela and her allies expressed their disapproval … violently. Tensions remain high. The Remans have formed a resistance movement in response to Imperial persecution. There’s a lot of bad blood between Remans and Romulans … that could end rather poorly. Even more troubling are reports concerning Taris, the former Imperial Praetor. She was ousted from power by Sela, and rumor has it she’s seeking powerful allies from both within the Empire and without. Sela made a lot of enemies over the years; this could be their chance to settle old scores.

: You know, the captain has spent a lot of time in Romulan space before.
: Really, captain? I never knew that.
: It was when I was a teenager. My parents volunteered for the relief effort and took me with them, despite my objections. I spent four years on a Romulan colony world while my parents ran a refugee camp.
: That’s amazing! Uh, sir.
: Not really. I hated it, but my parents were doing good work and looking back it certainly motivated me to study hard and apply to institutions that would get me far away from there. Such as Starfleet Academy.
: Are your parents still there?
: No, they’ve been on Cardassia for the last three years running a charity. I’ll admit, it’s going to be weird to be back in this part of the galaxy.

: Are you scared to go into Romulan space, doctor?
: Never! The crew of the Tucker can handle anything the Romulans can throw at us. Besides, you can only learn so much from sensors and probes. To really understand the Hobus system, we need to be there.
: What else can you tell me about Romulan space?
: The Romulans are touchy … watch what you say or you’ll be in for a fight.
: Oh trust me, I remember that part.
: The Remans don’t even bother talking before they fire, so I think they’re more dangerous than the Romulans. Sela’s found some new allies, too. They’re from the Delta Quadrant, but I don’t know much about them.

: All right, everybody, I think we’ll call it a night. Malthis, tomorrow I’d like you to draw up a schedule for some combat drills. I have a feeling we’re going to need the practice.
: Yes, ma’am.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't know how much of a pain they are, but I dig the talky episodes. :allears:

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I don't know how much of a pain they are, but I dig the talky episodes. :allears:

Makes it seem Star-Trekkier, yeah. I can see why Cryptic doesn't do the "briefing room" scenes, but they're important dangit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dalris Othaine posted:

Makes it seem Star-Trekkier, yeah. I can see why Cryptic doesn't do the "briefing room" scenes, but they're important dangit.

They were certainly a pain to do for the Klingon side of the LP, that's for sure. The game just isn't set up to allow that kind of thing, and the highly abbreviated nature of the Klingon storyline did not help.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

There is one mission that has a briefing room play set, which has since been shunted off to the side and made only available at max level. Since it's in the game, I was considering trying to learn how to use the foundry to recreate it, but alas, I was too late.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Dalris Othaine posted:

I'd play the heck out of a senior officers' poker night with proper TNG subtle emotional cueing and dialogue.

Go all the way! Make it a hint mechanism!

(Is there a Mysteriously Knowledgeable Bartender slot?)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Loxbourne posted:

(Is there a Mysteriously Knowledgeable Bartender slot?)

...Funny you should ask that. I'll let Moon Slayer cover the duty officer system if he cares to, but there is in fact a very rare Investigate Temporal Anomaly mission that awards a purple-grade El-Aurian bartender for your ship, who comes with Congenial, Tactful, Telepathic, and Eidetic Memory as traits. :v:

The final mission in the Extreme Bartending chain is "Talk Captain Out Of Poor Professional Decision."

Why yes, T'Kara has her.

From the Other Admiral's Desk: Atrox class carrier

When the Third Klingon War began, Starfleet Command initially believed that the Federation enjoyed an overwhelming technological advantage over the Klingon Defense Force. Jokes about Klingon technology being primitive and ramshackle aside, Starfleet strategists believed that Starfleet had superior scientific and technological capabilities, and were more than a match for traditional Klingon tactics and warships.

To say that Starfleet Command was surprised when the Klingons made extraordinary use of carrier starships on a scale never before witnessed in modern galactic history would be an understatement, and I inherited an office from a flag officer sacked after that fiasco. Carriers gave Klingon task forces remarkable endurance and hitting power, and the Empire's Orion and Nausicaan allies likewise fielded never before seen carrier starships at the war's outset.

Starfleet Command quickly ordered the design and construction of dedicated carriers for Starfleet use, and as a stopgap in the interim, solicited existing carrier designs from the military forces of Federation member worlds. Starfleet chose the Atrox class offered by the Caitian Self Defense Force, a military modification of a colony support ship used by the Caitians to support terraforming and initial colonization of new worlds.

The Atrox class carrier is a ponderous vessel with an internal bulk primarily consisting of large replication arrays and hangar bays for the ship's two fighter wings. Not only do the industrial scale replicators allow the Atrox to fabricate parts for damaged fighters, the ship can manufacture entirely new craft given time. Atroxes also retain the civilian vessel's extensive scientific facilities, thus making these carriers dedicated military science vessels as well.

Despite their immediate value as Starfleet's first carriers, the Atrox does not enjoy a good reputation among Starfleet officers who have commanded one. The less diplomatic often refer to the Atrox as the 'catbus' or 'kitty carrier.' Perhaps this is only appropriate for a military conversion of a civilian ship intended as a stopgap, as the Atrox was quickly phased out of service when true Starfleet carriers emerged from Utopia Planitia. These days, the Atrox is a rare sight indeed.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'll let Moon Slayer cover the duty officer system if he cares to,

I do not.

e: mostly because I don't fully understand it.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 20, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Duty Officer system functions as follows:

1) Open the Duty Officer tab.
2) Filter out any tasks you can't resolve with the duty officers you have on hand.
3) Throw bodies mindlessly at the galaxy's problems.
4) Wait
5) Collect free XP

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PoptartsNinja posted:

2) Filter out any tasks you can't resolve with the duty officers you have on hand.
4) Wait
5) Collect free XP

6) Wonder just how the hell these chucklefucks managed to screw up 'Prepare essay about the long-term effects of tetryon radiation' so badly

Man I love the catbus so much. It's beautiful.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

HopperUK posted:

6) Wonder just how the hell these chucklefucks managed to screw up 'Prepare essay about the long-term effects of tetryon radiation' so badly

Man I love the catbus so much. It's beautiful.

I had my crew fail at shore leave before. I just assume they got arrested somehow.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

HopperUK posted:

7) Stop worrying about this entirely after Lt. Daniels breaks his sternum helping the Catians write a book report.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Veotax posted:

I had my crew fail at shore leave before. I just assume they got arrested somehow.

The disaster result for shore leave says the crewmen are now considered persona non grata on that planet and no longer allowed to visit.

For Klingons and Klinkroms, doffing is more important because marauding is incredibly lucrative. And if you go to the sector with Vulcan and Sol in it, there's lots of missions to pillage the very heart of the Federation. :getin:

My main demonstrates a portion of what I currently have running:

Oh perfidious Romulus.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

7) Stop worrying about this entirely after Lt. Daniels breaks his sternum helping the Catians write a book report.

8) Wait 20 hours for his to heal.

9) Unless he's a common doff. Then he's dead.

10) Recruit a replacement.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sometimes successes on missions like "deliver colonists to the azure nebula" will report colonists as dead instead of delivered.

I assume you're just cruising up to the nebula, tipping them out the airlock, and checking that off your list.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

PoptartsNinja posted:

4) Wait
5) Collect free XP

:science:

For those unfamiliar with the game, the Duty Officer system is kind of like a Star Trek version of the mission board system from games like Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood. The problem is it was built by a single developer who left Cryptic something like six years ago, and nobody else understands it. As a result, the rewards it gives out to the average player (pirates like Cythereal aside) range from disappointing to mediocre because nobody has done any meaningful development on the system since - likely for fear of accidentally breaking it.

The Duty Officer system isn’t a total waste, though - it has a major benefit to space combat. Duty Officers, like Pokémon, have a range of types and traits. You can add five (or six, if you grind out an upgrade) to what’s called your Active Roster for space and ground combat to receive passive bonuses. Some of these are minor, like giving you more xp or rewarding currency for kills, or increasing your damage against certain enemies. Cryptic released an assimilated helmsman duty officer for the anniversary of First Contact, for instance. He makes you better fighting borg.

Other doffs modify bridge Officer abilities, and this is where the system can get really useful. At endgame, one of your main objectives when building a ship is cooldown reduction - mixing passive and active effects to make sure that every ability you have can be activated as often as possible. One of the most popular methods of doing this involves using rare Duty Officers that apply a strong passive ability cooldown Power to the Engineering ability ‘Auxiliary to Battery’. Other popular choices are duty officers that improve the reload speed on torpedos, generate aftershock gravity wells, or modify your energy weapon abilities to boost damage.

Doff selection is a minor part of the incredibly complicated process of building a ship, but it shouldn’t be overlooked. For certain ship builds, it’s invaluable.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

The problem is it was built by a single developer who left Cryptic something like six years ago, and nobody else understands it. As a result, the rewards it gives out to the average player (pirates like Cythereal aside) range from disappointing to mediocre because nobody has done any meaningful development on the system since - likely for fear of accidentally breaking it.

For anyone who hasn't played this game, this is how you could describe many systems in this.

Hell, they just announced that they're killing the Foundry, the system for user created missions because no one working at Cryptic knows how the system works or cares enough about it to keep it working anymore.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Veotax posted:

For anyone who hasn't played this game, this is how you could describe many systems in this.

Hell, they just announced that they're killing the Foundry, the system for user created missions because no one working at Cryptic knows how the system works or cares enough about it to keep it working anymore.

Also, any time a big update happened the Foundry would break and it took them months sometimes to fix it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Veotax posted:

One time a crew came back wounded from playing 3-D Chess. I guess it got heated.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Coq au Nandos posted:

:science:

For those unfamiliar with the game, the Duty Officer system is kind of like a Star Trek version of the mission board system from games like Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood. The problem is it was built by a single developer who left Cryptic something like six years ago, and nobody else understands it. As a result, the rewards it gives out to the average player (pirates like Cythereal aside) range from disappointing to mediocre because nobody has done any meaningful development on the system since - likely for fear of accidentally breaking it.

Oh, no, they do know how to change it. Borticus nerfed the rewards for 12 hour missions into the ground recently.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Veotax posted:

There's chatter about "revamping" the doff system.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Considering I dislike the doff system as it is, I'm reading it as less "revamping" and more "burning this motherfucker down, starting over." I might be reading a bit too much into that though.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What do you prefer: one longer-than-usual update, or two slightly shorter-than-usual updates?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You mean Part I and Part II!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Moon Slayer posted:

What do you prefer: one longer-than-usual update, or two slightly shorter-than-usual updates?
With an SSLP, it doesn't matter as much as a VLP, because I can just leave my browser pointed at the part where I stopped and pick up right where I left off, whereas YouTube's bookmarking (or whatever) algorithm isn't very precise and breaks sometimes.

I'd say as long as you aren't hitting the post character limits, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

All right, full episode it is.

(I also partially asked because I don't like putting updates at the bottom of a page and wanted to push this into the next one before tomorrow morning)