Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cant cook creole bream posted:

By the way, is the show good, now that the lead has been replaced?

No. It might improve if they actually start focusing on new stories with the new lead, but as long as they keep giving so much time and attention to Kate's nemesis and Kate's ex-girlfriend and Kate's dad and the mystery of whether Kate's dead or not - there's no chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

cant cook creole bream posted:

Or they just ignore it. In ten seasons, some character asks "What ever happened to Kate anyway? Well I guess she did die back then."
Just completely memory hole her. Ryan was always batwoman.
I haven't seen any episodes of this show, so I don't know how viable that is.

By the way, is the show good, now that the lead has been replaced?
I think the show has considerably improved. I look forward to each new episode which is more than I could say for season 1.

Tiggum posted:

No. It might improve if they actually start focusing on new stories with the new lead, but as long as they keep giving so much time and attention to Kate's nemesis and Kate's ex-girlfriend and Kate's dad and the mystery of whether Kate's dead or not - there's no chance.

I don't mind them deciding to build the season around the mystery of what happened to Kate - Presumably they already had well advanced plans for season 2 which they had to toss out completely on short notice, and then put together a season of television during a pandemic. I won't begrudge them choosing the easy and obvious pillar to use as the backbone of the season. I don't think it's an inherently bad plotline, but I would have preferred them to definitively kill Kate off right away and then proceed with solving the mystery of why she died.

Alice is also better now that there isn't that weird frenemy thing happening with Kate - I feel like things will actually build to a proper confrontation/takedown between her and Ryan. I do think they need to resolve the arc by the end of the season and then move on though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Recast Kate and have her and Ryan be partners. Change the show’s name to Batwomen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

pressedbunny posted:

The (mostly unsubstantiated) word is she severely underestimated the filming schedule for a weekly 45-50 minute TV show and couldn't keep up.

I mean tbf apparently Crisis was hell for everybody. Stephen Amell talked about how grueling it was in some interview, and that dude had been doing 50 minute shows for years by that point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pillowpants posted:

What crap did she endure?

As others have pointed out, she broke her neck and part of her spine thanks to the stunt team’s incompetence, the same stunt team that later went to paralyze a production assistant again through incompetence, so she probably didn’t have any trust in them any more from that point forward. She’d also primarily been a movie actor up to that point and said she wasn’t really prepared for the rigours of television acting in comparison and actually didn’t like it now that she had a taste for it. She was also subject to a deluge of online harassment from both right wing grognards and the LGBT+ community itself over her casting as Batwoman.

All of that, plus the COVID production lockdowns that started around the same time no doubt added up to a breaking point for her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also apparently she hated living in Vancouver.

But yeah, I'm not sure why they're setting up this Kate stuff so early when there's no way she'll actually be back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Maybe she came back and filmed some poo poo and no one has said a drat word.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I find it hard to believe something like that could manage to happen in secret in this day and age

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

As others have pointed out, she broke her neck and part of her spine thanks to the stunt team’s incompetence, the same stunt team that later went to paralyze a production assistant again through incompetence

I had no idea the stunt team were operating boom lifts in their spare time. That's dedication!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New Batwoman sticking around for a while as the show was renewed for s3.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Unless she leaves at the end of the year too. New Batwoman every year.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

New Batwoman sticking around for a while as the show was renewed for s3.

lovely YouTube Men everywhere wail in anguish at the news.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenNight posted:

Unless she leaves at the end of the year too. New Batwoman every year.

Show renamed Batwomen

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azhais posted:

Show renamed Batwomen

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Batsuit

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

And they all fit in the batsuit more or less OK except for the feet.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Given how the CWverse's peaks are usually "hero starting out" and "hero returning to what they do best against a strong rival," a rotating cast of Batwomen sounds fine.

(Javicia Leslie still rocks)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm five episodes in to season 1 and uh... does this get better?

The only character who's really working for me is Alice, but the fact that every episode has Kate confronting her and then letting her go.... only for Alice to murder more people.... is like a parody of a parody of a parody of the relationship between Batman and Joker.

I started watching because I miss Arrow dearly, but this isn't doing the trick at all. And I stuck through arrow all the way through even during the Diaz!!!! season.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm five episodes in to season 1 and uh... does this get better?

The only character who's really working for me is Alice, but the fact that every episode has Kate confronting her and then letting her go.... only for Alice to murder more people.... is like a parody of a parody of a parody of the relationship between Batman and Joker

Frankly you're better off just jumping to the current season and hoping it maybe strikes your fancy more because that Alice poo poo never stops.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Definitely skip the first season. I thought it picked up as it went along, but it's almost entirely irrelevant now anyway. Read a plot summary or skim through a compilation video, then give season two a go.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Gonna N'th everyone saying just skip the first season. It has some decent-to-really good moments sprinkled throughout it, but the slog to get to them doesn't really justify it and they're all rendered moot anyway by Ruby Rose leaving the show, so just consider the first season to be like Season Zero or whatever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Frankly you're better off just jumping to the current season and hoping it maybe strikes your fancy more because that Alice poo poo never stops.

It's not like season two's any better though?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

It's not like season two's any better though?

Ryan at least a personality which Kate was sorely lacking. And so far this season it at least feels like there's a chance it's getting better and at least everyone's had a reason to not kill or capture Alice besides Kate just letting her go.

I mean, it's definitely still the weakest out of all the Arrowverse shows, but it feels like there's potential for improvement.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jesus, this abduction plot is loving brutal.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
God I hate the forced drama of these shows. Why the gently caress isn't she showing anyone her kryptonite injury?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Decent episode, aside from the Alice/Kate bullshit. I cannot comprehend why they're dragging this out; she's not coming back.

jassa posted:

God I hate the forced drama of these shows. Why the gently caress isn't she showing anyone her kryptonite injury?
I guess they expect the audience to know that pointlessly keeping dumb secrets is just what characters on these shows do so they don't even need to give a reason any more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jassa posted:

Seeing as they didn't even mention it last episode I wasn't sure they even kept it. One thing that's nice about new Batwoman is that she is getting to do some stuff that isn't connected to Alice. Although the show definitely needs to have Alice get a new focus because the Kate obsession is just annoying for meta reasons.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tiggum posted:

Decent episode, aside from the Alice/Kate bullshit. I cannot comprehend why they're dragging this out; she's not coming back.

A small part of me still thinks this is all building up to somebody new taking over the role of Kate, because Caroline Dries has said Kate isn't dead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm down with that. Have her back broken and throw her rear end in a wheel chair like Barbara Gordon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finally got around to watching the first episode and yea, the biggest weakness of this is most of the characters are uninteresting and I can't give a poo poo about anything involving anyone who isn't Luke or Sophie.

Just go away Alice, because you're a bad attempt to create a Joker and also I'm a bit sick of Bat villains always being someone who's just craaaaazy. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and watching the next few episodes may end up freeing us from the terrible supporting cast.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I finally got around to watching the first episode and yea, the biggest weakness of this is most of the characters are uninteresting and I can't give a poo poo about anything involving anyone who isn't Luke or Sophie.

Just go away Alice, because you're a bad attempt to create a Joker and also I'm a bit sick of Bat villains always being someone who's just craaaaazy. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and watching the next few episodes may end up freeing us from the terrible supporting cast.

you should probably just read a summary of the whole first season and start right on season 2. Sadly Alice looks like she's being groomed for the role of Batwoman's version of Malcolm Merlyn or Damian Darhk - the enemy turned frenemy that never quite goes away. Except the show doesn't quite know what to do with her well enough for her to become liked the way those characters were.

The new batwoman is a vast improvement though and the show has got much better in season 2 - for 1 thing she actually feels like a martial arts badass in a way Ruby Rose never managed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jassa posted:

Yeah I'm normally willing to put up with a lot of CW bullshit but there is literally zero reason to keep the injury a secret. Like, maybe you could have excused it for a while by saying she doesn't want to go to a hospital because her parole officer could find out or something, but at this point she has Mary and Luke's trust and Mary's a doctor, so there's nothing in the way but pointless drama.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

If I'm being charitable I could read it as Ryan not wanting them to know about it so they keep letting her be Batwoman, coupled with her history making her resistant to asking people for help. But yeah if I have a wound that's healing very slowly and seems to be pulsing with weird green light, I'm probably going to at least run it by my new doctor roommate.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I mean Mary literally runs an illegal hospital for people who can’t/don’t want to access the mainstream medical system.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I'm down with that. Have her back broken and throw her rear end in a wheel chair like Barbara Gordon.

Make her old man Bruce to the new girl's Terry. Or just make her take the role that her dad does in the comics

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OR

We just don't bring her back in any way because Ruby Rose was so poo poo in the role that we'd always be comparing the two.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

OR

We just don't bring her back in any way because Ruby Rose was so poo poo in the role that we'd always be comparing the two.

We've pretty much run that convo down with the new actress so I don't think it's that big a deal.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay the fake bat in episode 2 is hilarious.

Also Ryan calling out everyone protecting Alice is pretty great. Also the Crows are literally the worst, like Cain and Sophie are just the worst characters, but the show thinks we should feel bad for them.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Overall these last four episodes have been, at the very least, better-made than the first season, but I am already tired of the ludicrous coincidences these episodes have hinged on. They can't go five minutes without everything and everyone being miraculously linked together. Not only did Alice's gang (mistakenly?) kill Ryan's adopted mother, but now Alice apparently had some kind of significant relationship with a guy (who she memory holed until right now) who Ryan's ex is now working for/with? And Ryan appears to have a personal connection to seemingly every criminal activity in the history of the city?

I'm also finding the deadpan-to-camera exposition drops grating. The writers don't seem to trust the viewers to remember any plot points that are from more than two scenes ago, even with the standard recap at the beginning of each episode. I'm not going to forget that Alice and Sophie were abducted; we spent a whole episode on it, Alice does not need to remind (us via) Sophie.
≥50% of the episode still being dedicated to questioning whether Kate will show up again also should not still be going on. And it's a much lesser gripe, but someone should have told the writers that Snakebite is already a drink.

The core kidnapping story was done pretty well, but it should have been more than half of the episode and it didn't need Jacob getting mixed up in it at the end.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

pressedbunny posted:

I am already tired of the ludicrous coincidences these episodes have hinged on.

That's just all of these CW Arrowverse shows in a nutshell, really. They're fun and campy and silly, but every single plot hinges on ridiculous coincidences and everyone being as incredibly, mind-bendingly stupid or lazily, technobabble-nonsense genius as the story demands. There really are no consistent characters at all, everyone is just an expression of what the plot demands with a few affectations to differentiate them from the other walking, talking plot points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Sure, there's always some element of blind luck or some kind of destiny in superhero stories, but like, Supergirl doesn't suddenly remember she once banged Livewire's highschool boyfriend who is now working security for Lex Luthor. There are fantastical coincidences and then there is Batwoman tangling every single thread into a single very small knot. Gotham is meant to be nearly the size of New York and yet the entirety of Batwoman's plot and characters so far might as well be contained within a three-block radius.