Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

fateful confrontation is a pro-click.

bleublanc is basically the warm up as far as the enforcers go, he doesn't hit especially hard, have any particularly nasty gimmicks, and death magic is only single target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
When first entering this dungeons, the first thing one notices about the enemies is how familiar they are. They're exactly the same as the archaisms in the Sealed Area underneath Grancel Castle, which formed the final dungeon of the first game. Which...probably means those places are closely connected in some way. The only difference between the enemies here and the enemies in the last game's final dungeon, aside from these ones having a jade hue, is that the final dungeon enemies were element neutral while these all have total immunity to the tower's element and take increased damage from the opposing element.

Elemental talismen, which you got in the "normal" versions of the four towers, can be a bit of a hassle at times normally since monsters in areas usually having varying elemental weaknesses, but all monsters in this area have the same weaknesses, meaning putting the right elemental talisman on your physical attackers gives their blows a nice extra boost. The only issue is when you run into Shining Poms, your attacks literally can't hurt them since they're immune to all elements.

Bleublanc's not too bad, though his S-craft (while single-target) hurts like a bitch and he can mute your characters. (the tower was gracious enough to give you a free glam choker, giving you a hint of what's to come) The dancing clown's marionette can do all kinds of funky stuff to your status, though thankfully there's only two of them and they're damage sponges, but not particularly hard hitters.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 13, 2016

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Fateful Confontation is quite a piece of work, one of Falcom's best.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
As I recall, Bleublanc can mute and seal, and the Balancing Clowns can confuse with their Marionette ability.

It still amuses me that a Pit Trap can "miss".

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Bleublanc will summon illusory clones. Any attack against a clone will have no effect, but whoops! If the real thing already has any debuffs or arts-targeting on him, he'll still stand out.

You can also (if you have the appropriate quartz equipped) check the amount of EXP each clone gives you. The one with a different value to the rest of them is the real one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Now I can't help but imagine the true Bleublanc and all of his clones casting Death Magic on each member of the party through an unlucky string of turn ordering... If the clones could, of course.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I don't think Bleublanc's clones do anything, or at least I've never let them be around long enough to do anything.

And hell yeah, Fateful Confrontation is probably my favourite boss theme in this game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, so we can't take these in an arbitrary order, despite the airship that can go anywhere.

But that orbment just... cutting out like that. Originally I had thought it might have been whatever Russell was working on, but if not, that's kind of ominous.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

Bleublanc's not too bad, though his S-craft (while single-target) hurts like a bitch and he can mute your characters. (the tower was gracious enough to give you a free glam choker, giving you a hint of what's to come)

Yep. Pay really close attention to what accessories you get from chests in these towers, and equip the rest of your party accordingly. That worked for me even not knowing exactly what was coming.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bleublanc mutes, because he loves the sound of his voice.
Walter... ok, what was his status effect? Faint? I honestly forgot.
Luciola confuses, because she's a circus perfomer.
Renne has instant KO, because what else could she do?

The fop fight is really easy, even without tracking the real one by debuffs.

It's interesting what Celeste von Auslese has to say about the Aureole. The text is just intact enough to barely read with a lot of effort*, it makes the data retrieval the professor is going to do believable.

*presumably Estelle & co. are reading a more scrambled version.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-A Lurking Shadow in the Wilderness-

Royal Army Officer: Here they come. HOWITZERS! Load and aim!

Royal Army Officer: All squads, FORWARD! Do not let a single one of these things into the city! FOR THE QUEEN! FOR LIBERL!

The army's detachment has already begun its defensive plan here. They were entirely prepared for this, so I do not believe guild support will be necessary.
You're heading for Carnelia Tower next? Very good.
I wish you the best. Good luck. *click*

...As bad at hiding things as ever, I see.
Six years and you still haven't changed at all.
Well, then. It appears I have some work to do, in that case.

-Tetracyclic Tower-

The tower's peak is still shrouded by that strange barrier.
Just like the Esmelas Tower.
It's quite likely that the inside of the tower will be strange again.

Oh, Zane!
What was Kilika contacting us about?
She wanted to know how things were up here.
I told her about everything that happened at Esmelas Tower.
Oh, okay.
I'm guessing you didn't mention our suspect for this tower.
Well...anyway, shall we hurry and get inside?

Zane and Kloe seem to get grouped up an awful lot. You guys better not be shipping.

Never fear, though. Every one of those men has sworn on the honor of the Royal Army to defend the city to their last breath. The best thing you can do to help now is to investigate the tower as quickly as possible.
Helmsman Lux: So this tower's top is engulfed in those black barriers too. Seriously, what the heck are those things?
Sensor Operator Echo: The professor's looking into it. Still no answer, though. Getting close would be dangerous.
Helmsman Lux: Oh, I agree. I'm keeping our distance.
Comm. Officer Leon: Sounds like there's some terrible fighting still going on in Zeiss...If we hear anything new, I'll let you know the second it comes in.

Royal Guardsman: The Zeiss Guard is managing to keep it together, though...somehow. I'm sure if the worst happens, there'll be reinforcements from Leiston.

Tita! Why're you out on the deck?
I heard Zeiss had been attacked...I was just wondering if, um, if everyone was okay.
I...I see...
They'll be fine, don't worry. Zeiss is located near Leiston Fortress and their garrison isn't exactly small. Kilika's at the guild, too. She'll get involved if things get really serious, I'm sure.
That's a good point, actually. Thinking that Kilika's there makes ME feel better.
Heehee, me, too.
Yeah, I actually feel a little better now!
If we can take control of the towers, the enemy should back off from the cities. Their activities in the cities are likely little more than a diversion from the towers.
In other words, we've got no time to waste!
Exactly. We'd best get going.
Yes, you're right. See you later, Tita.
Okay. Be careful, everyone!

Ship's Cook Casey: I'd love to get her a drink, but she's on standby before a mission, it seems. Even a bit of alcohol can impair your judgment...so I'll hold off for now. Alcohol can make you feel like you're on top of the world, sure, but it also impairs your judgment. There's one simple conclusion you can draw from this, mind. It's our ability to judge and understand the world that causes unhappiness! Still, don't know if I'd give it up...
Ray: From what I've heard, Zeiss has it rough right now. Looks like the fruits of my research are going to be needed pretty soon. I'll need to really put myself into it!

*sigh* Now I have no one to drink with.
Haha, sorry! I'll be glad to join you once I get back.
I know we aren't quite in 'super-crisis oh, Goddess, we're all gonna die' mode yet, but...Schera? Please don't drink TOO much. We might need you for something, after all.
Hmm-hmm! Don't worry about me. ♥ I'm hardly going to get drunk on just wine.
That's...nnnnot really what I meant...
Why do I feel as though we're having two different conversations...?

We couldn't lay a finger on him back in Zeiss.
Well, with you around it might be a bit easier.
Do not put too much faith in me. I won't know if I will be of any help until I meet him in battle. If you want to see, Agate, why not come along?
Heh, good point. I'll be ready. You need me, just say the word.
Right!
We'll be counting on you.

Hi, Professor.
Did you want us for something?

We found something quite interesting in our analysis of the data crystal.
Really? Like what?
Well, we've verified that ancient orbments used quartz, or something similar enough, at any rate.
And with the data from the crystal, we've found a way to put those ancient quartz into modern orbments!
Seriously? Holy crap!
Heh heh! Remember who you're speaking to!
...There's one problem, though. The slots on your orbments, as designed, won't be able to take the quartz. You'll need to modify the slots further...A 'level 3' upgrade, if you will.
So what you're saying is...We can now upgrade our orbments even further?
Exactly so! I've told Payton what kind of modifications need to be made, so talk to him when you're ready. And if you find any quartz like that in 'the wild,' give it a try.
Yeah, you bet!
We'll definitely make use of that.
I'm going to keep puttering around here. Good luck investigating that tower!

That conversation is perfectly timed to make you freak out about missing some sort of uber-quartz back in Esmelas Tower, but you didn't. So don't. And you can put your arm down, Guardsman.

Royal Guardsman: What kind of madman does it take to do that? The old man sure is gutsy...

Clive: It isn't just theory that'll make this work, it'll take engineering skill too! That's why I was called up. I have a lot of experience as an orbal electrician.

I just got all those data crystals you brought me into Capel. Now we just need to wait for Capel to finish analyzing them.
Cool!
Do you know how long it will take?
Mmmmm...it will depend greatly on the damage to each crystal. I'd really be guessing. In the worst case, it could be a several-day wait, so for now, try to be patient, hmm?
Understood.
No point in worrying about it, then, I guess.
If you find any more crystals, bring them to me. I'll get them set into Capel and begin analyzing them immediately.

Mechanic Payton: I'm ready to do them whenever you are! It'll massively increase the EP charge your orbments can hold, too, so I really recommend doing it. The professor seems busy with his research. I took a look at the blueprints for what the professor is working on...Unfortunately, I couldn't understand any of it. Cutting-edge research really is mind-blowing, sometimes.

For now, I'll stick with two or three upgrades on everybody as they get rotated in.

We STILL don't know what the society's tryin' to do, but something stinks.
Well, at times like this the best we can do is help each other out! I'll be on standby. If you need me, just come ask.

It looks like the front lines remain unbroken, for now.
I see...That's a relief.
We should hurry our investigation of the tower. The attacks on Zeiss are likely mere diversions.
Yes. The tower is definitely their main goal. We should focus our efforts on defeating the Enforcers.
Right, then.

Faye: Ready to head down to Carnelia Tower?

Faye: Right, then! Just jump on the plate and you'll be off.

Is this going to connect to that weird place too?
Terrible as they are, I cannot help but think the 'shadow' towers are the true forms of the towers...
Yes...I think that's all but certain.
No matter what it is, I doubt our task will be straightforward. Stay alert, everyone.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Guys guys why are you leaving the howitzers just keep shooting guys?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
After serving as punching puppets for most of the duology, it's good to see the Liberlian soldiers get a few moments of badassitude, fleeting as it may be. It goes in line with the "not just your party's competent"-schtick that the Trails series likes so much.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just want to point out again that Oroboros, this super-secret group which basically no one has even heard of is fielding a force of machines and human soldiers which are powerful enough to keep the Professional Army of a nation occupied, and they are putting up a good enough fight to not be completely clowned.

Oh, and Oroboros has the resources to spare to expend all these troops and machines not to WIN, not to conqueror and hold, but just to keep the army occupied. Oroboros is willing to throw all those troops and machines AWAY, to let them be destroyed. This is not the power of a secret unknown group, it's the power of a nation.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Maybe Ouroboros is based in some nation-state Liberlians have never heard of and they've been underground working on all this stuff.

Cold Steel has some strong implications about this topic too.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Oh, and Oroboros has the resources to spare to expend all these troops and machines not to WIN, not to conqueror and hold, but just to keep the army occupied. Oroboros is willing to throw all those troops and machines AWAY, to let them be destroyed. This is not the power of a secret unknown group, it's the power of a nation.
They're getting their funding from the same source as Cerberus.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It is really easy to keep secrets when everyone has a weird boner for government cover-ups and even the news reporters agree that too much knowledge just upsets people needlessly.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 14, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

cokerpilot posted:

Guys guys why are you leaving the howitzers just keep shooting guys?
Just let the nameless red shirts look cool for one moment before they all die horribly, okay?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-The Hidden True Form-

Kloe was a good choice.

This upgrade adds a blast radius, about the same size as the original Hurricane.

It's a hard break life.

I hope Zane can break 1000 DEF before the end.

Now we're talking.

Unfortunately the top-tier elemental attacks are still overpriced junk.

Put on some anti-Faint defense before you take this teleporter.

-Silence-

That was definitely a climb.
Man's Voice: Heh. Figured you'd be dropping in.

-The Enforcers-

Zane. Knew you'd come. And hey, it's Fangboy. Been a while, kid.
It has.
I'm surprised, though, Walter. You never mentioned being part of the school Zane trained at.
Heh, yeah, well, I've pulled in a lot of styles aside from the Taito school. Gotta diversify if you want to beat people to death with their own arms, you know? No big surprise you never noticed.
Walter, you...
So how about you, Zane? Still clingin' to that dusty old Living Fist?
Yeah, well. You know. I'm a clumsy guy.
Afraid I could never hope to be half as good as our master was in Taito if I tried branching into other styles.
Tch. Dull as ever.
Ah, whatever. I was gettin' bored just sittin' up here. Time for a good, old-fashioned deathmatch.

*snap*

Steel Cougars!
Armored animals...How cruel.
You have fun playin' with those, kids.

I wanna see those moves you've been working on for six years!
I'll be more than glad to!

-Fateful Confrontation-

Meanwhile on the Glorious: 'Are we really sure the battle cats should have knives? What about their claws?' 'Well that's why they have to carry the knives in their mouths, duh!'

SPD arts will only get more important from here on out.

Ugh...drat kids today...
Fine then. Just die.

HahaHAHAHA!

Heheheheh...Think you can catch me?

I have no idea what that move is supposed to do.

-The Enforcers-

That was about what I expected.

But you ain't lyin' about being clumsy! Your movements are so obvious. And it's because you're so stuck on sticking to just that ragged old Taito style.
Haha...
And what's so damned funny?
You really are a genius, but you lack understanding of a core principle. Master must be ashamed.
Oh? You lecturin' me in place of the old man, now?
I wouldn't presume to do anything so great as that.
However, after matching fists with you, I understood. As I am now, it would be very difficult for me to win.
But conversely, I wouldn't lose, either. Your bloody fists cannot defeat me.
Interesting. Never thought I'd hear something that gutsy come outta your mouth. I thought I'd just have a taste to kill some time, but we're past that now.

-Silence-

Assume your stance, Zane. It's about time I taught you just what the hell 'difference in ability' really means.
(What should we do? Should we help?!)
(I...I think this has to be Zane's fight.)

Video: Zane vs. Walter

-Challenger Invited-

You're stickin' with it pretty well, but after all that preachin' you did, I was hoping you would.
You're doing well, too...
drat it, Walter! How could you allow yourself to be dragged down into the darkness with abilities like yours?! If you'd walked the path Master showed us, you would have reached the pinnacle of righteousness!
You really gonna stand there and say that? You never actually figured out why the old man died, did you?
What?!
Heh heh. That one got your attention. Tell you what. If by some drat miracle you win, I'll fill you in on it. Your side of the bet is your life.

Very well. This life is worth wagering for that.

(No, Estelle. We can't stop this.)

-Silence-

A Chakram? Impossible!

What in the world are...
The battle to defend Zeiss has ended.
I left the receptionist's desk to Wong and came to see how you were getting on.
See how we were...uh...
So you climbed the shadow tower by yourself?

-Decision to Leave-

Heheh...Now THIS is like old times.
So what is it, then? See how things are going, maybe get some sweet, sweet revenge for the old man?
Not at all. The match was fairly done, after all. Why do you believe I would tread on Father's will?
Kilika...
I am simply here because I wished to say something to someone who disappeared six years ago.
Nothing more.
Something to say, huh? All right, then.
So.
Walter. Why did you never see me for who I am?
Gh...!
I don't know the details of what Father told you. I cannot imagine it had anything to do with...what we had, however.
Even more so with Zane.
?!
So it really didn't. I thought so.
Walter, you are a fool. Did you really think Father was the kind of man to hold such a thing against you?
It...It had nothin' to do with the old man. It was my problem to resolve.
Now, now wait a moment.
Walter! What did Master say to you?! What would it have to do with me?!
Ah, shaddup. I got no obligation to tell you.
Yes, it has nothing to do with Zane.
But it had everything to do with me. You disappearing without telling me was negligent. At best.
I have no lingering attachment to someone who could not see me as myself. You are welcome to begone to wherever you wish, or to slink back to the nest of Ouroboros.
However you choose, I will deal with you as a member of the Bracer Guild. Nothing more.
Ha...
AAHHH-HAHAHA!

I am half glad and half despairing.
I doubt we'll ever meet again.
Yeah. The rest is between me and the big guy right over there.
You can't even be a little sweet at a time like this, though? Cold as ice, right up to the very end.
As I recall, that's what you fell for.
Heh. Suppose I did.

If you want to know the reason me and the old man fought to the death...Make me lose. Use that Living Fist he left you and beat me.

Whoa, whoa, hang ON! Can an Enforcer jump from this height and, like, not DIE?!
Not all of them can, no.
But an expert like him...I wouldn't be surprised if he's fine.
He used the wall to slow his descent.
What incredible strength...
Hmph. Such a pest.

How did you know Walter would be here?
You thought I didn't know?
First Walter, then you...
Tell me, why ARE men sometimes so simple?
Uh...Well...
Hmmmmmmmmmm.
...I repent all of my sins and beg forgiveness. Please do not stare at me like that.
Haha...
With my personal business out of the way, I will return to Zeiss.
Good luck, everyone. Take care at the other towers.
Kilika...thanks.
Yeah, we will.

-Tetracyclic Tower-

Hah! Shouldn't actually surprise me. Kilika's always been quietly amazing.
I had always heard that Kilika Rouran of the Zeiss guildhouse was a tremendously capable woman. I hope I have the chance to meet her in person one day.
(Erm. Kilika and Julia together...)
(Those two could probably juggle mountains, working together.)
Anyway...
It's just like last time. The tower has returned to normal, but the machinery atop it no longer functions.
Yes...It's worrying.
We also still don't understand the nature of those...barriers that appear over the roofs.
Um, I guess the question is 'why are they covered up in the first place,' huh?
Personally, I think we can sweat that later.
Right now we need to get a move on to the next tower.
Yeah, good idea.
Julia, don't suppose we have any updates from the other towers?
One came in not long ago from the Sapphirl Tower.
This time it was a woman dressed in black, wielding a bell, of all things.
A bell? It's her...
Luciola the Bewitching Bell.
She was once an...acquaintance of yours, wasn't she, Schera?
Yes, she's an old friend.
This means it's my turn to tag along, I suppose.
Schera...if you don't want to...
C'mon, you. Don't make that face.
Luci is herself, and I'm me. We can settle our differences if we have time. Our first priority must be to complete the mission we've been given as bracers.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 10, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This is why I really hate this chapter. It's just a bunch of practically identical dungeons with a boss fight at the end - and the boss fight doesn't even settle anything.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Walter is certainly not my favorite enforcer, but this scene and a similar one later on do help to flesh him out a little bit. He's still kind of a one-dimensional thug, but he's a one-dimensional thug with some sincerely complicated circumstances during his time in the dojo.

Also this:

quote:

drat it, Walter! How could you allow yourself to be dragged down into the darkness with abilities like yours?! If you'd walked the path Master showed us, you would have reached the pinnacle of righteousness!
You really gonna stand there and say that?

Maybe I'm simply not appreciative enough of good old kung-fu drama, but I often thought that Zane sounded really corny whenever started a tangent about the "Living Fist/Murderers Fist/dragged into the darkness" and stuff and it always made me smile whenever Walter was like: "How can you say that cheesy bullshit with such a straight face?" I made me appreciate him a little more, despite the sociopathic attitude.

Also, Estelle:

quote:

Whoa, whoa, hang ON! Can an Enforcer jump from this height and, like, not DIE?!

Remember the scene in Chapter 2 at Sanktheim Gate where you and the others deduced that the suspicious guy in black you were trailing must have been an enforcer because the signs pointed to him jumping off the Ahnenburg Wall like it was nothing? Don't go getting all forgetful on us again just because Joshua's there to cover your butt again.

Xander77 posted:

This is why I really hate this chapter. It's just a bunch of practically identical dungeons with a boss fight at the end - and the boss fight doesn't even settle anything.

I'm with you on the dungeons' monotony, but I do dig the boss fights and not just because of Fateful Confrontation. Bleublanc was kinda meh, but Walter/Kilika, Luci and Renne all have interesting things to say and while nothing gets resolved, things do move on. We haven't reached the final chapter yet. I'd have been disappointed if things got resolved already.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, I am with you on that. It's a fight you win which has no effect on the story, too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Xander77 posted:

I agree. That's why it's my least favorite chapter. I mean the boss fights are good, but dungeon crawling has never been the strength of these games, and this chapter is 80% dungeon crawling.

Erpy posted:

Remember the scene in Chapter 2 at Sanktheim Gate where you and the others deduced that the suspicious guy in black you were trailing must have been an enforcer because the signs pointed to him jumping off the Ahnenburg Wall like it was nothing? Don't go getting all forgetful on us again just because Joshua's there to cover your butt again.

There's a difference. Back then that was a mere two stories to the ground, this is six.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Xander77 posted:

More than not settling anything, it seems like we've gotten into the habit of being too late.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I recall Phantom Work is an Agi/Spd boost, making him quite annoying if he uses it as his first action, given Zane and Joshua are both physical primaries.

Not sure how well Hit quartz nullifies it, however.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 16, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Pinch!!-

Royal Army Soldier 2: Just a little further and we can meet up with the Manoria Garrison...
Royal Army Soldier 3: Don't stop now! We MUST see these people safely there!

M-Matron Theresaaaa...
Don't worry, Mary...We'll be fine.
I won't let them lay a finger on you.
We're in a loooot of trouble, aren't we?

Royal Army Soldier 2: From the opposite side?!
Waaaaah!
Okay, you jerks! I guess I gotta--
NO, CLEM! Get back here!
(Oh, Aidios...please, save us, your powerless children...)

-Challenger Invited-

Hey, they're...!
Bracers!
Heh! Sorry to keep ya waiting!
Everyone okay? Nobody hurt?
Y-Yeah...
We're fiiiiine!
Woman's Voice: Haha! Good to see we made it.

Carna!
Sorry to meet you again like this, Matron Theresa! You're evacuating to Manoria, right?
Yes, the good soldiers here were escorting us.
You there, soldiers! We shall hold them here!
Yeah! You guys hurry and get the kids to Manoria!
Royal Army Soldier 1: Y-You have our thanks!
Royal Army Soldier 3: Everyone! Follow us!
Okay!
Comiiiiing!

We still have to do it.
Don't worry, this is nothing! Compared to what Estelle and everyone have to deal with at the towers, this is a picnic!
Hmhm. Indeed! All we can do is do our best here so they can fight without worrying for their loved ones.
By my arts--become hard as steel!

-Tetracyclic Tower-

I wonder how Matron Theresa and the kids are doing.
If the plan is going well, they're being evacuated to a safe location under army protection.
I hope they're safe...
I'm certain they'll be fine. We don't need to worry. Dad's ordered the army to work together with the guild to keep the battle in Ruan under control.
Joshua...thank you.
Yeah, definitely! Dad isn't going to let anything happen to Ruan.
Yeah, the old man ain't gonna screw up on this.
Everyone. We're five minutes out from Sapphirl Tower.
Schera...
Yes...I'm ready.
Once we arrive, we'll head off.

Unfortunately I've long since squandered every opportunity to assemble Schera, Zane, and Olivier, for Team Drinkin'.

I just received word from the guard force stationed in Manoria. Matron Theresa and the children were evacuated safely.
Really?
Yes, they said everyone's fine.
*phew* That's a relief...
Yes...I'd been worried about them.
You literally just said not to worry about them.
Still, with the towers as they are, no one can let their guard down.
Yes, it may be a bit early to rejoice.
Right now, we need to focus on the task at hand and get to that tower.
Yeah...you're right. If you're ready, Kloe...
Yes, if you need me, simply ask any time. I am prepared. Everyone, please, be careful.

According to reports, they evacuated all civilians living near the roads. We've avoided one disaster, at least.
Sensor Operator Echo: Great work, you guys. We still haven't figured out what the source of the orbal field anomaly is...If we could just figure out what it is, we could do something about it. I'm sorry...but I think we'll be relying on you for a while longer.
Helmsman Lux: Mmm? Who're you? Sorry, but please don't distract me. This wind is really strong. Keeping us in position is difficult...Don't they realize how hard it is to get a ship like this to hover? Blast it...Thanks to the wind, I can't get the ship to settle. This is why I hate the seaside.
Comm. Officer Leon: Ruan Rearguard, Manoria station, this is the Arseille. Ruan Rearguard, report your situation. I repeat, this is the Arseille. Ruan Rearguard, report. Patrol ships are en route to reinforce your position. Reinforcements will be arriving shortly. Repeat, they will be in Manoria airspace...

Royal Guardsman: Wow, she must be incredible! Though, I bet our Captain Schwarz could do the same.

Royal Guardsman: They seem to have men everywhere in the kingdom! We need to strengthen our patrols in the future, it seems...

Clive: My research has stalled, so I thought I'd step out to clear my head a bit. I wonder what's going on with the tower. Very strange...I'm worried about my little brother in Ruan. I hope the town's safe.

Antoine: Nyao? Nyayayaa~!
Haha, it looks like someone's trying to tell us something.
Do we know anyone who can talk to animals?

Kloe has a bird that understands speech. That's...a little bit like talking to animals, right? If you bring her here:

I think he wants to give us something.
Antoine: Nyao-n!
You're giving us this book? (You have...a book...?)

Heehee, thank you, Antoine!
Antoine: Mya~uun.
Well, this is special...
Antoine: Fumyaaa...Nyaon.
Well, look who's sunbathing.

Ship's Cook Casey: I'm sure our boys below've got their hands full...Er, what I'm saying is, it's great that we've got you lot to take care of these blasted towers! Sending you bracers into the towers was the right tactical decision, I say. Just what I'd expect from Brigadier General Bright. He knows how to give the right person the right job!
Ray: ...Steam may seem to disappear, but it's just dispersed into the atmosphere...Conservation of matter and energy, the same's got to apply to this, the orbal energy's got to be stored SOMEWHERE...! The 'shadow towers,' and folded dimensions...Could that be where the disappearing orbal energy is going...?

Looks like it, yes. Sorry I can't stay and have a drink.
Booze aside, if you need my sword, I'll come along anytime. You need me, just say the word.
Hmmhmm, thank you, Mister Heavy Blade. I owe you one.

Royal Guardsman: Reminds me of how things felt during the coup. What is up with groups plotting awful stuff like this springin' up like weeds these days?

Mechanic Payton: It seems like the professor's research is stuck on something. The researchers just went out for a quick break. You can't really make progress at anything if you just keep flogging away at something when you're stuck...Maybe you guys could use a little time in the break room, as well?

Hey, Tita!
How's the professor's research going?
Oh, um.
Even Grandpa's having a hard time with those barriers. He keeps saying he just doesn't understand the principle behind them...
I see...
The barriers most likely have something to do with the mission the Enforcers have been given. I doubt a solution to breaching them will be straightforward.
Well, there's little point in sitting here, moping about it. We can leave studying it to the professor while we enter the towers the old-fashioned way. What we find in the towers might lead to some hints to help in his research.
Yeah, and there's the data crystals, too.
You're right. Let's focus on investigating the towers for now...the old-fashioned way.
I'm afraid we still know very little about that barrier engulfing the tops of the towers. If we could make some progress deciphering that data crystal, we might get a clue...For now, I'm going to focus on getting some practical use out of that idea of mine. Let me say, between the 'shadow' towers and these barriers, I'm not lacking for things to research!
To be honest, I've half a mind to go out there myself and have a good look at these phenomena in person, but these days...
Tch! If I was ten years younger, even...

Aidios! I dunno if what I'm feelin' is fear or a crush! Well, it helps keep us guys on our toes, I guess.
Right, Joshua?
Leave me out of this, please.

Yes, once we're done preparing.
Taking a break, Zane?
To be honest, I would like to take a chance to rest, perhaps meditate...But now is not really the time. If you call, I'll be ready.
Hmmhmm. You don't need to push yourself. After all, you took down Walter! You can afford to rest.
Yes, don't strain yourself too much.
Haha. Thanks for the thought. You don't need to hold back for my sake, though. Just say the word.

The goon hivemind demands that you work yourself to death, Zane.

Now why didn't I take an earth quartz in place of one of those space quartz? It would have been all pretty! Oh well.

Schera's borrowing the Misty Veil and Duende Slippers for this one. Hopefully the lower DEF won't be a problem.

Faye: Time to attack the Sapphirl Tower, I bet.

Faye: Right, then! Just jump on the plate and you'll be off.

Wonder where we'll get punted off to this time?
There's no real way to know until we go in.
Unlike the 'normal' towers, the shadow towers don't seem restricted by conventional spatial definitions. They could be...large, inside.
And so the only limit on their construction was their builders. Mmm...Hard to stay focused, thinking about that.
Regardless, we have to go in one way or another.
Come on. Let's proceed carefully and deliberately.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 16, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 30, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Has anyone made an "Ai dios mio" joke yet

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

This thread really is all Zane all the time... It's refreshing, I guess. I never really used him much, never had much time for a tank character when I could load my party with glass cannons instead, I guess.

For some reason I get a kick out of Kevin trying to be all pally with Joshua constantly (and his responses to this.)

Finally, where the hell was Antoine keeping that book.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 16, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone feels like going back to the first LP, locating the cat dictionary (it's not in the update with the cat quest, because that would be too obvious) and translating?

Aren't guns orbal powered?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
And with Antoine, my perfect Gambler Jack streak on my first playthrough came to an end. :bang:

Aside from that, I'd pay good money for a Trails in the Sky game featuring Team Kurt.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

And with Antoine, my perfect Gambler Jack streak on my first playthrough came to an end. :bang:

Aside from that, I'd pay good money for a Trails in the Sky game featuring Team Kurt.

Not mine. That was broken with Book 2. But, luckily, that is the only one you can go back and get later, because it isn't given out by a person. That's why I missed it.

Xander77 posted:

Anyone feels like going back to the first LP, locating the cat dictionary (it's not in the update with the cat quest, because that would be too obvious) and translating?

Yes, they are. If you're confused because of the thing, that hasn't happened yet.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 16, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yes, they are. If you're confused because of the thing, that hasn't happened yet.
Ah. Shows just how invested I am in this chapter.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xander77 posted:

So are Orbments.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Doomhammer posted:

Finally, where the hell was Antoine keeping that book.
Probably used some special feline crafts to hide the book.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Aidios answers prayers frighteningly quickly in this game.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

This next part drove me crazy, because it wreaked havoc on my EP reserves. And I forgot I'd been hoarding EP Charges the whole time.

Xander77 posted:

You spurred my curiosity, and the results are:

Estelle: What are you doing out here, anyway?
Antoine: What's wrong? (An expression of delight)

Kloe: I think he wants to give us something.
Antoine: Yes, that's right!

Kloe: Heehee, thank you, Antoine!
Antoine: You are welcome, squishy pink thing.
Estelle: Well, this is special...
Antoine: (A yawn) I'm tired.
Kloe: Well, look who's sunbathing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-The Hidden True Form-

Sapphirl Tower is just one long corridor, with occasional clots of robots and loot.

*RINGGG*

Wha...
Just now, was that--
GET DOWN!

Good...good effort, guys.

*RINGGG*

More of them!
Here they come!

*RINGGG*

Here they come!
Let's clean them up!

She finally ran out of pets.

Some more Sleep and Confuse-proofing. Right behind the exit. Hint, hint.

Get some more earth arts ready, too.

-Silence-

Luci...

-The Enforcers-

And Joshua. It IS good to see you again, and safe. You were gone for far too long.
Luciola...Why are you, of all people, working with Weissmann? You and he never seemed that close.
This land is a nostalgic place for me, I suppose. We came here so often in our travels.
I suppose you could just call it a whim of mine.
'Nostalgic place,' my rear end! Why are you hurting it so much, then?! Are you even thinking about how Schera feels abo--
Estelle. Enough.
Words alone won't get any answers from Luci. We have to prove we've enough skill to be worthy of an answer.
Oh, my. You really haven't forgotten, have you, Scherazard?
Just like when you were teaching me to perform, all those years ago...
So, Luci...promise me.
If I can prove my worth, tell me why you're supporting the society!
Hmm hmm hmm...Very well.

What in the...
I recognize those. They're bound spirits, in the forms of the guardians of light and darkness from the Eastern lands!
Yes, I added my own touch to the charm arts of the East.
Scherazard. Show me. Show me what you gained in this land after you left me.
...All right.
Don't look away, then! Or you'll miss the Silver Streak!

-Fateful Confrontation-

These jokers again.

As flowers bloom and wither...
Spin!

Perish!

Tempest Dance!

Mist Storm is only a bit weaker than Tempest Dance, and it's all Jubokko will use. He's definitely got to go.

Zaqqum, on the other hand, was never much of a threat.

Heed the bell...

Firestorm can hit a good-sized area. Luciola could have flamed Estelle, Joshua, and Schera all at once instead of Zane.

-The Enforcers-

You learned much from the Divine Blade, it seems.
Haah...Don't...doubt us! *pant*...
Well, Luci? Is that enough for you?!
Hmmhmm. Yes, you have earned your answer, I think.
I joined the society...to better understand my own darkness.
And it looks like she learned Weissmann's question-answering strategies while she was at it.
Your...what?

How the leader of our troupe perished falling from a cliff?
Of course I do! How could I forget?! That accident caused the Harvey Troupe to...
Yes. It caused the troupe to disband and go our separate ways. No one could ever figure out, however, why he went to such a lonely spot all on his own...
Why do you think that was?
I...I don't really...

-Silence-

You can see the answer, Schera. Acknowledge it.
The troupe leader was not alone on the cliff side. I was with him. And I was the one who pushed him off.

-In My Heart-

. . . What...are you...saying, Luci?
Hmhm, were you not listening? I killed Harvey with my own hands.
Ah...ha ha ha. Luci, come on, there's no need for dark humor or trying to 'sound' evil. I mean, that's impossible, you...
After I pushed Harvey to his death, I returned to camp, feeling almost nothing. No one questioned my calm face. And then I used my bell to create an aural illusion of his scream for all to hear.
Really almost trivial, with my skill.
Stop...STOP! YOU killed Mr. Harvey? You? No. No! Impossible! IDIOTIC!
You were like parent and child...no, even closer!
Yes. So we were. And that is why I couldn't forgive him. I couldn't forgive him for planning to leave us...
What...?

Why was that barrier even here in the first place? What is the society trying to do?
I'm afraid I wasn't given the details, love. I am simply doing as the professor indicated I should.
Admittedly, I have a pretty good idea after seeing the hidden truth of the tower's bones.
Hidden truth...?

*RINGGG*

WAIT, LUCIOLA! You haven't finished answering yet! Why did you have to kill Mr. Harvey?!
He was so kind...He was the nearest thing either of us had to a father!
Hmm-hmm. I am sorry, Scherazard, but that is all for now.
The next time we meet, I will tell you everything. Be a good girl until then.

*RINGGG*

LUCI!

Um...Schera?
Schera...
...I'm fine, don't worry. I'm one step closer to the truth behind Luci.
For now...that's enough.
Scherazard...
That's...that's three of the four towers down. Let's return to the Arseille and head to the last one.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 17, 2016

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I bet Luciola had all these great ideas for traps and deceptions, tests of the parties resolve and all that... only to give up once she realized her tower consisted of a single really long corridor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Doomhammer posted:

I bet Luciola had all these great ideas for traps and deceptions, tests of the parties resolve and all that... only to give up once she realized her tower consisted of a single really long corridor.

Well...relatively great. She copied Bleublanc.

"ONE OF THESE FOG SPIRITS ALWAYS TELLS THE TRUTH...THE OTHER ALWAYS LIES. WHICH ONE WALKS ON THREE LEGS IN THE MORNING, TWO LEGS IN THE EVENING, AND FIVE LEGS AT NIGHT"

• Locked thread