Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

JawnV6 posted:

y'all the department and relevant professional certification is named "human resources" turning your nose up with the manager closest to you using it ain't gonna move the needle

It's actually called the "people department" in our company now. Our PMs just didn't get the memo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How did anyone ever think "human resources" sounded better than "personnel"

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 11, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

How did anyone ever think "human resources" sounded better then "personnel"

If I had to guess, it sounds better when you're talking about doing bad things to them (firing, reducing benefits, etc.) because you don't have to remember that it's human beings you're talking about. They're just lines on a budget to be tweaked as needed to hit your forecasts.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I had to guess, it sounds better when you're talking about doing bad things to them (firing, reducing benefits, etc.) because you don't have to remember that it's human beings you're talking about. They're just lines on a budget to be tweaked as needed to hit your forecasts.

This is the key.

Think of how far removed you are when buying a steak or something at the store. You don’t envision an animal growing up and living it’s life, being butchered, and all the various steps along the way. You just look at all of the steaks in front of you at the store as separate entities, not as things that once lived.

It is really easy to not see resources on a spreadsheet as human beings.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Please use the American approved phrase "human capital stock".

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me to post that here

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1264996588834996226

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Well I guess it's slightly better than being called livestock?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Well I guess it's slightly better than being called livestock?

Next interview question, are you a pig, sheep, or cow?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I'm being milked for my productivity daily. Sheep.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/schmichael/status/1271297791839465472

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Too real

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

too real. i have spent an inordinate amount of time drinking at bars with managers of software companies.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The sooner you come to terms with the fact that you are just a cog in the money machine, the sooner you can divest yourself from any emotional attachment and start treating work each day as a business transaction.

:smithicide:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
My company insists on referring to its employees as “associates” which I loathe. I associate with a company because it employs me, not because I sometime play cards with it but we’re not really good friends.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
one year away.

i just got promoted to team lead.

:rip:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I bailed on management back to senior IC.

So did my previous three managers, at two companies.

And a close friend of mine at a separate company.

All early-mid 30s.

The pressure is real, though. No one wants that job. It's a trap.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 13, 2020

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Guinness posted:

All early-mid 30s.

We'll have to see. I'm also job hunting, and there's no real advancement track at my company if you aren't management (which is a mistake! it's bad!), but the financial windfall and obvious path for advancement here mean I can afford to be pickier as I search for senior IC roles (especially doing things I want to do).

But I always figured management was in my future because I like coding, but I also am really good at the people and planning aspects of the job, and actually enjoy those, too.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I've been able to resist making that move for a few years mostly because all the managers here _really_ wanted to be managers. The other option is moving up to a "principal engineer", but that process seems to be broken right now and not many get to that level. Probably because they want more drat managers.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I was recently contacted by a few previous research associates of mine that are interested in exploring VC options for a small business that they've had for a few years. They've been getting by on various grants and funding that they've won from military and government sources, and they now have a few patents in their IP portfolio and have published papers on their technology (scanning binaries and libraries in a product and telling you which CVEs are present based on their control flow patterns) and want to push into the endgame.

Has anyone heard how the VC landscape is looking these days? Has COVID-19 reduced the number of companies looking for funding, or has it maybe caused VC firms to reduce their investments?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hendersa posted:

I was recently contacted by a few previous research associates of mine that are interested in exploring VC options for a small business that they've had for a few years. They've been getting by on various grants and funding that they've won from military and government sources, and they now have a few patents in their IP portfolio and have published papers on their technology (scanning binaries and libraries in a product and telling you which CVEs are present based on their control flow patterns) and want to push into the endgame.

Has anyone heard how the VC landscape is looking these days? Has COVID-19 reduced the number of companies looking for funding, or has it maybe caused VC firms to reduce their investments?

best and most important factor for whether peeps get vc, before and after the world plague, is whether they went to plutocrat school or not. berkeley also works

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

We'll have to see. I'm also job hunting, and there's no real advancement track at my company if you aren't management (which is a mistake! it's bad!), but the financial windfall and obvious path for advancement here mean I can afford to be pickier as I search for senior IC roles (especially doing things I want to do).

But I always figured management was in my future because I like coding, but I also am really good at the people and planning aspects of the job, and actually enjoy those, too.

I'm exaggerating a little bit, and if you're interested and think you'd be good at it then by all means go for it. I've worked with a few engineering managers that genuinely enjoyed their role, and they are great people to work with/for. If it's something you enjoy and are good at there is a dire need for good engineering managers in the top echelons of tech.

The theme I've seen though is that good senior engineers get the opportunity to get "promoted" into an engineering manager, and they take it because it seems like the next step for career progression and it's more immediate and accessible than the super-senior IC track (principal, etc.). It's what I wrestled with, and ultimately went for it. In retrospect, it's really more of a lateral move to switch tracks.

But if you're like many good senior engineers, you enjoy the engineering work and it's painful to be so adjacent to actual engineering work but without getting to be hands on. Yeah, yeah, every org says "our engineering managers are different, they're super close to the real work, they still spend time coding" and that's just never reality. The pressures and responsibility of management ultimately supersedes any time for engineering work. And the longer you aren't in it, the harder and harder it gets to pick it up here and there.

The fork in the road that I, and my colleagues, have faced is when you're running up on that 2-3 year mark as a manager you are somewhat at decision point: do I fully buy-in to management track, or do I retreat to being a senior IC while I still can relatively easily.

The small bit of irony is that everyone I know that bailed on management to return to being a dev got a big comp boost out of it -- by switching companies. I make almost 50% more as a senior dev now than I did as an eng team lead previously. And it's not like I was grossly underpaid before, but RSUs and ESPPs are a hell of a thing.

I could see maybe jumping back into management some day, but for the time being senior dev is a cushy gig and I'm not ready to give up being an engineer yet. I don't have any grand aspirations about working my way up to CTO or anything though so maybe I'm just not the type. I'd sooner retire early.

I don't regret my stint in management, but I don't miss it.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 13, 2020

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Guinness posted:

All early-mid 30s.

I switched to management a bit over a year ago. I was intent on the switch for about 2 years prior. I love it. I'm just so tired of computers, but cursed with being good at them -- so moving into management has been really satisfying: I can help a team of people who aren't that tired of computers do cool poo poo.

I get to talk to people all day, I still read code and talk about architecture and technology all day, but don't actually have to spend any time screaming at compilers or finding typos or debugging network drivers or kernel bugs.

It's not for everyone, but I've found it very fulfilling.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
The biggest problem I have with being a senior engineer is all the non-programming, non-design responsibilities I have. I just don't get as much time with the code as I want, and when I do put my head down for a length of time I feel like I'm leaving the juniors twisting, even if I'm not.

No desire to be a manager, so I double appreciate when I have one that does their job well.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I actually enjoy the bit of management I do. It sounds weird, but I enjoy all the negotiating with the directors with vague titles, and trying to protect my team while making everyone happy.

I’m not great at it. But I’m learning.

I did recently learn why it’s a bad idea to be both a manager and an IC. When you’re a week away from a major release, a manager is going be pulled in a hundred directions to answer questions and put out fires. A programmer needs long periods of heads down time to solve those last bugs. Those are wholly incompatible weeks.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I also did the move to management and switched back to an IC track after 1.5 years. I think I did alright in the role, my feedback was always good and there's several outcomes I can point to that I'm really proud of and I generally enjoyed the day to day, but I kept feeling like I was not having the same level of impact as when I was leading more technical initiatives.

I'd consider trying it again but only at a place that had a good support structure and some semblance of a manager training program. In my case the "mentor" I had was my manager who had a whole two years of management experience (also with little training or guidance) and wasn't someone I particularly respected. I'm pretty sure you can end up in the "one years experience ten times" situation if that's how your early management career goes.

I learnt a lot and I don't regret it but I wonder how it would've been different in a FAANG-level management track.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Destroyenator posted:

I learnt a lot and I don't regret it but I wonder how it would've been different in a FAANG-level management track.

My experience with FAANGs is that they do not have good support structures for engineers or managers. They kind of expect you to figure it out and get through based on engineering talent. It's even worse for managers and it's very apparent which are promoted from within engineering and which are hired externally.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

asur posted:

My experience with FAANGs is that they do not have good support structures for engineers or managers. They kind of expect you to figure it out and get through based on engineering talent. It's even worse for managers and it's very apparent which are promoted from within engineering and which are hired externally.
Oh okay. I had assumed they were better at that at least for the management tracks but I guess I didn’t have anything solid to base that on.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Destroyenator posted:

I also did the move to management and switched back to an IC track after 1.5 years. I think I did alright in the role, my feedback was always good and there's several outcomes I can point to that I'm really proud of and I generally enjoyed the day to day, but I kept feeling like I was not having the same level of impact as when I was leading more technical initiatives.

I'd consider trying it again but only at a place that had a good support structure and some semblance of a manager training program. In my case the "mentor" I had was my manager who had a whole two years of management experience (also with little training or guidance) and wasn't someone I particularly respected. I'm pretty sure you can end up in the "one years experience ten times" situation if that's how your early management career goes.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure there's not a good manager training track anywhere, at least not that I've seen. Small companies are like "good luck" and big companies are like "good luck, here are 20 hours of web training to tell you about compliance and also brave new concepts like 'in a modern workplace, managers often talk to their reports regularly! consider trying this!'"

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Seems like you've gotta get lucky with a senior manager structure that wants to mentor you into the position. In my case, I've got 2... It's not been a terrible move so far and I feel like I'm helping the team often by removing road blocks and sitting in meetings that not everyone needs to be in. We'll see how I feel in another 6 months.

Anyone had any luck making the transition (while knowing what you're supposed to be doing) via a management MBA?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I have a 1:1 with my manager to discuss my goals. I’m angling to be promoted to senior developer within the next 6 months but other than that my goals are to just continue executing on feature work and gain some breadth of knowledge across the stack. What sorts of things do you all mention in these goals conversations?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Do you have weekly 1:1s?

If so, then your goal conversations are easy, because you’re kinda just always talking about them.

If not, schedule a weekly 1:1.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

lifg posted:

If so, then your goal conversations are easy, because you’re kinda just always talking about them.

Or at least biweekly.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Hey all, I don't know if y'all have seen the stuff going down in GBS but I wanted to make sure everyone in CoC was aware we had a discord. It's a chill place, and feel free to PM me if this link expires.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

lifg posted:

Yes, we do. But today’s conversation is specifically about goals. We usually slightly touch on it but it’s the only topic for today and I don’t have many besides “keep doing what I’m doing and getting better at it”

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I have no goals, I just want to retire. I have just 6 years experience but I'm totally burned out of working as a dev, but I can't see myself going into management. :shrug:

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Change jobs. A silver lining of the very, very lovely H1B EO is going to be that the dev jobs will still be plentiful.

E: meant to say that burnout usually comes from bad jobs, but I feel you.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I actually like my job, if that even makes sense. Maybe I just need a new project; we do consulting for other companies so I can switch up and jump on another project with a different team. But I legitimately think I'm burned out on dev work in general.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

dantheman650 posted:

Yes, we do. But today’s conversation is specifically about goals. We usually slightly touch on it but it’s the only topic for today and I don’t have many besides “keep doing what I’m doing and getting better at it”

Goals don't have to be new job titles necessarily. When you say "getting better at it", expand on that. Does that mean learning a new technology? Diving deeper into the internals of your current one? What does someone who is "better" do? Are they faster? Do they get things done in less code? Are they better at abstraction? Or, are they more involved outside of coding, with (for example) sitting in on client meetings to better understand requirements?

You and your manager might have a bunch of different ideas of how you could get better. Being specific and spelling them out might help them find better projects for you to do, or he might have a totally different idea of what your weak points are.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Doghouse posted:

I actually like my job, if that even makes sense.

It does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Doghouse posted:

I actually like my job, if that even makes sense. Maybe I just need a new project; we do consulting for other companies so I can switch up and jump on another project with a different team. But I legitimately think I'm burned out on dev work in general.

None of this makes sense.

What do you like about your job?

What don't you like about being a dev?