Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I finished Assassins Creed Pirates and I'm still not sure which of the 70+ games I've played in the last couple of months has the dumbest video game story but the modern day stuff in this game would probably rank in the top 5 (major dumb story spoiler: you play video games to datamine for the illuminati and also there's some sort of cyberalien???). The sea battles were cool but the main campaign is overloaded with them and I feel like this series needs a couple more tricks or mission styles to keep from becoming repetitive.

Also the game hinted at a proposed assassin's creed set in the wild west and it's total BULLSHIT that we didn't get that
The problem is that the whole backstory of the modern day events is in the weakest AC game - the 3rd one. Not that it makes the plot better but at least there are some explainations for some things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I finished Assassins Creed Pirates and I'm still not sure which of the 70+ games I've played in the last couple of months has the dumbest video game story but the modern day stuff in this game would probably rank in the top 5 (major dumb story spoiler: you play video games to datamine for the illuminati and also there's some sort of cyberalien???).

Honestly, I find the modern day stuff to be interesting on a certain level, but they should just go whole hog in one of the upcoming titles and make it an Assassin's Creed game set entirely in modern cities.

assassin's creed: eugene, oregon

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Just installed a new GeForce 970 to replace my 660ti. Pros: for once, I didn't have driver problems (hooray Intel). Cons: I don't have anything graphically demanding enough to actually max out the 970. :negative:

Guess I'll have to wait for Alien Isolation and hope it's got fancy lighting or something.

(Or reinstall Metro 2033 and try to play it in DX10. :v:)

Do you have Shadows of Mordor? Cause that at max settings is a drat fine looking game.

Also fun too.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I guess I'm curious as to what the character design would look like in a Wild West AC because so far (haven't played three or four, but I imagine they're similar) the Assassin costume is rather stylized to have that sort of white, black and red colour scheme and being recognizably 'Assassin'

I guess you can sort of get away with it in the Renaissance and perhaps during the colonial period since the costumes typically associated with such things did have a sort of foppish element that would allow such a scheme to work and not stand out hugely.. but the Wild West? I just can't really see it.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Agreed about modern points in AC3,I think people liked the Desmond "climbing" bits well enough? I did definitely.

Maybe the problem is Ubi don't want to cross into guns being a big thing or really the only thing? Pirates and the colonies had one shot rifle or pistols. You needed lots of them and other weapons to meet your challenges. A single pistol wouldn't suffice.

For a modern setting though, what else do you really need in downtown modern Detroit but a single sub machine gun? Do you really need to rely on some knife moves? Or maybe they should have made Watch Dogs an actual creed game and ditched that storyline. Modern assassins turned to hacking as a means...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Tie in the modern assassin's creed with Hotline Miami. Set during the 80s, the Assassins/Templars are working with the cover of the '50 Blessings' organization.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wild West AC would be killer. Hijack this train and assassinate this dude, OR plant explosives on the bridge and just send the entire bridge into the chasm

Start a saloon fight and kill your target in the middle of the chaos

Assassinate one of these people that is in a sundown duel

Tail some outlaws to a bank robbery and then pose as a teller and knife em

Your target's in the middle of a gold rush, sneak through this cave and kill him or plant explosives and bring the whole cave down

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 3, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Child of Light is in my top 3 games I played this year. The art, the setting, and the complexity of the battle system (like a mixture of rhythm game and JRPG) all made for a good, nearly 20 hour experience that I will look back fondly in the future. It is not a perfect game by any means, but if you were curious about it, the current sale's a good time to grab it.

review sponsored by Kragger99. Buy Canadian, buy Kragger99

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

(Or reinstall Metro 2033 and try to play it in DX10. :v:)

I was able to do this with my 660 GTX. Your 660ti should have been fine as well!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh man, thanks a lot to Kragger for Alien:Isolation. I'll be posting a write-up as soon as I play a few hours and then something longer when I finish the game. I already started pre-loading :).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

Do you have Shadows of Mordor? Cause that at max settings is a drat fine looking game.

No, otherwise I would have used it to test this out. :v:

I've already bought Alien: Isolation and Borderlands 2.5 and still have Wasteland 2 to finish, so I'm holding off on buying new games until I've at least played a bunch of those.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Palpek posted:

Oh man, thanks a lot to Kragger for Alien:Isolation. I'll be posting a write-up as soon as I play a few hours and then something longer when I finish the game. I already started pre-loading :).

Oh I hate you! :v:

Looking forward to your write up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot to post this yesterday but a huge thank you to NettleSoup for Defense Grid & the Containment DLC. I started playing through it last night and got a couple missions done. It's tower defense, plain and simple, but it seems very competent.

The only thing... I thought this was made for PC / XBLA. The tutorial messages seem very touchscreen focused. Whats up with that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Next Car Game now officially has an actual name - Wreckfest.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After AC3 I couldn't bring myself to give a poo poo about the modern day stuff anymore and just powered through it as fast as possible to get back to the real plot, about a man trying his hardest to escape the plot of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag only to have it tragically catch up to him.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Leper Residue posted:

Also fun too.

That's good to know. I was hoping to grab it for $20 from the trading thread, but the goon offering it up never accepted my invite. Once my RMA video card arrives I might have to take the plunge and enjoy some high res orc killing (AKA terrorism). Though being unable to game for a week has probably been a good thing, as I have been going to bed pretty early every night since.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
Your daily Steam posting has been interrupted to bring you this public announcement:

Buy Shadow of Mordor, and the season pass

That is all, normal posting will commence in 1...2....3....

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Kins posted:

Next Car Game now officially has an actual name - Wreckfest.

Well that's not the most creative thing I've ever heard but adding multiplayer is making me feel like I should make this my first Early Access game again.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
speaking of modern assassination settings: the upgrade discount for Sleeping Dogs Definitive, is that only available up to release or past that point?

I am probably misreading but the steam page reads promotion ends Oct 8 and shows the 50% for owning.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Manac0r posted:

Your daily Steam posting has been interrupted to bring you this public announcement:

What's in the season pass that's worth getting?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ddraig posted:

I guess you can sort of get away with it in the Renaissance and perhaps during the colonial period since the costumes typically associated with such things did have a sort of foppish element that would allow such a scheme to work and not stand out hugely.. but the Wild West? I just can't really see it.

Poncho + flavor hat, motherfucker. You can even do sash-ey things with them.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Manac0r posted:

Base game? Most definitely.

Season Pass? I'm not so sure. At this point you get some skins and a few extra missions?

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

Niggurath posted:

What's in the season pass that's worth getting?

I consider it a tip to the devs for delivering without the hype, the better their game does and the more DLC it sells the better chance we have of seeing more from them. I see it like I 'ate' a fine meal, with great service. I'm a tip more than the 15%. Also more campaign, challenges and who knows what else, spin that wheel.

Now excuse me I need to listen to some Zeppelin while slaying orcs..(A green grunt by any other name?)

E: Seriously I got carried away with the season pass, just play it cool and see what happens.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The White Dragon posted:

Poncho + flavor hat, motherfucker. You can even do sash-ey things with them.

It would be nice to have a character design in a modern western game that wasn't literally just ripped straight from Clint Eastwood, though. I mean, just once.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

The Machinima Man posted:

There should be a place in the OP for listing a couple really good curators.

One of the curators I follow, is forum goon CueZero's Cue Review: http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6857352-Cue-Review/

He plays a poo poo load of games, writes really good Steam reviews and always have interesting things to say about the games - good and bad.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Manac0r posted:

I consider it a tip to the devs for delivering without the hype, the better their game does and the more DLC it sells the better chance we have of seeing more from them. I see it like I 'ate' a fine meal, with great service. I'm a tip more than the 15%. Also more campaign, challenges and who knows what else, spin that wheel.

Now excuse me I need to listen to some Zeppelin while slaying orcs..(A green grunt by any other name?)

E: Seriously I got carried away with the season pass, just play it cool and see what happens.
I have played it and am enjoying it; but I'm not totally sold on paying another $25 for an hour or two of extra content. I was just honestly curious to know if the story DLC was released/was any good since I think GMG has a 27% off coupon for the season pass.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ddraig posted:

It would be nice to have a character design in a modern western game that wasn't literally just ripped straight from Clint Eastwood, though. I mean, just once.

Would you prefer the Black Man Hanging From A Tree outfit, instead?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Drifter posted:

Would you prefer the Black Man Hanging From A Tree outfit, instead?

Keep up with the Ezio theme, give us a British dandy skilled with two guns, give us a dedicated "twirl guns around fingers" button that we can press for as long as we like, have him teach those uncivilized brutes a thing or two.

EDIT: Customizable mustaches.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 3, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I wanna play as Mongo.

Hold X to punch the poo poo out of your own horse.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Are Child of Light/Valiant Hearts worth the half-price?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

$30? And that's the discounted price?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Niggurath posted:

I have played it and am enjoying it; but I'm not totally sold on paying another $25 for an hour or two of extra content. I was just honestly curious to know if the story DLC was released/was any good since I think GMG has a 27% off coupon for the season pass.

They've said the word expansion a few times in regards to the Celebrimbor thing, so presumably it could be a new zone to gently caress with Orcs in.

It's also only $10ish through Finnish goons, so just go check SAMart when it comes out if it's good, and you can probably pick it up on the cheap.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
http://store.steampowered.com/app/313470/

This looks cool.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Isn't blockstorm the game that indiegala is involved with somehow, as well? Pretty sure I got a free key from them already for buying bundles in the past.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crappy Jack posted:

Keep up with the Ezio theme, give us a British dandy skilled with two guns, give us a dedicated "twirl guns around fingers" button that we can press for as long as we like, have him teach those uncivilized brutes a thing or two.

I could dig that. they'll just make him offensively canadian

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Virt did the music for this using the SNES soundchip. He also did the music for Shovel Knight

https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/boot-hill-heroes-ost

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

I'm having a problem where Steam no longer automatically downloads DLC I've just purchased, I have to either restart Steam or verify the game before it'll start downloading. Would deleting clientregistry.blob fix this?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Well Life is Feudal is a new EA game and is regularly $40...so yeah? ?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, otherwise I would have used it to test this out. :v:

I've already bought Alien: Isolation and Borderlands 2.5 and still have Wasteland 2 to finish, so I'm holding off on buying new games until I've at least played a bunch of those.

If you ever think you can't max out any given GPU setup, find the most graphically demanding games you have and try downsampling them. It looks great and has exponentially increasing performance requirements at the same time! :v:

Shadow of Mordor has built-in downsampling options, which is pretty drat cool, even though I don't think I have the power to run it. I've never seen native downsampling in a game before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The best part about if there were a wild west era Assassin's Creed is you could conceivably set it during the civil war time period and toss in the New York City with the draft riots and get some Gangs of New York stuff going on.

• Locked thread