Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

The Orville is more Star trek than Discovery is, but I'm liking a serious Star trek series more than hokey episodic space travels. I love both shows and I'm glad they are what they are though.

I'm not hating on Discovery really and I'm enjoying it for what it is but The Orville, after a few episodes at least, feels much more like the spiritual successor to TNG than discovery. The characters are almost instantly more likeable than their Discovery counterparts too.

Kyle Hyde posted:

For what its worth, I don't have a history with Star Trek but I caught the Orville and it has ignited an interest in TNG. I don't think you have to be a big trekkie to appreciate the Orville, just receptive to that TNG sort of optimism.

I wasn't really even thinking about it in those terms but you're right. I love DS9 but TNG was great for it's sense of optimism overall. I really just meant it in terms of all the little jabs at Star Trek in general. Although, now that I'm a few episodes in and it seems to have found it's footing, it's nice to see they're going less for the "make fun of Star Trek" and going more for the "Star Trek: TNG homage" angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no investment in Star Trek one way or another but my impression is that Orville is basically nostalgia that harkens back to the old Star Trek shows while Discovery is a modern sci-fi show that people don't really seem to have complaints about but which doesn't "feel" like the shows made decades ago.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Discovery is a fun sci-fi show. The characters are weak but it's a decent show

The orville is cheesier and feels a lot more "90's" if that makes any sense at all

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only Trek I like a lot is TOS. TNG and DS9 had some good episodes I watched as a kid but also have a lot of downright dogshit episodes. With that said, I am loving The Orville. It's just such a... low stakes show? In that I don't feel like anyone making it is trying to "push the envelope" or "be the next big thing", it's just trying to be a goofy/serious space travel show and it's refreshing in the age of Peak TV making every show reach so hard for the "prestige" classification.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I have no investment in Star Trek one way or another but my impression is that Orville is basically nostalgia that harkens back to the old Star Trek shows while Discovery is a modern sci-fi show that people don't really seem to have complaints about but which doesn't "feel" like the shows made decades ago.

There's "modern" sci fi shows like The Expanse that do the whole "modern / hard" sci fi angle a whole lot better though. Like I said, I enjoy Discovery but it seems like it's trying way to hard to be what popular modern day television is. I'm enjoying The Orville not because it's some TNG 90's nostalgia fest but because it's a show with likeable characters and interesting plots which is something Star Ttrek: TNG managed to pull off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I'm not saying Discovery is a great show or anything. I haven't even seen it. I'm just saying I don't really hear any pointed criticisms about it. The preference for Orville seems to be less about "quality" and more about a tonal difference that Star Trek fans feel Orville "feels right" when that "feels right" thing seems to kind of be rooted at least partially in "modern" vs "how it used to be". Which you even kind of go to in your point about Discovery trying to be a modern prestige show idea. It strikes me that people who love decades of Captain Kirk and Picard just want a show where a crew of space travelers visit aliens each week without some heavy meta plot or "prestige" anything.

There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not criticizing it. As I said, I don't have a horse in this race (except that I kind of wanted Orville to fail so Adrianne Padalecki could be freed up to return to SHIELD).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All the klingon scenes are unbearably slow

You know how all the Ent scenes in the LOTR movies are boring as poo poo (except that battle part I guess)? It's like that every week on Discovery.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 6, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's because they're speaking in a fake language that's deliberately difficult to speak in while wearing rubber masks :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

(except that I kind of wanted Orville to fail so Adrianne Padalecki could be freed up to return to SHIELD).

I feel ya there. But I love her on the Orville now so I'll just have to live with it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It's weird because I'm a primarily TNG fan Trek-wise, but I feel that Discovery is the best Trek that has ever been trekked, and I'm sitting here every Monday waiting for 3pm local time to hit so I can get my next fix before jonesing for another week. I can't speak to The Orville, which I've only seen clips of. Looks to be a weird blend of either too serious, or not serious enough, but if people are enjoying it I'm glad. But man I am willing to stan the gently caress out of Discovery. With a couple of notable exceptions, my social group is all well into it too.

Biggest shame of all is that both shows aren't just allowed to exist on their own terms and be good/not good without the massive, massive amount of shitposting online about Discovery because it openly pursued Star Trek politics of diversity and inclusion. And all True Star Trek fans know Star Trek isn't about such Star Trek values and... yeah the internet is being especially obnoxious out there right now. The name-brand Trek is getting downvoted to gently caress, the off-brand Trek is being pushed as the real deal, when really both sound like they have a lot of fans and people could be enjoying all of them but as always "The Discourse".

Don't mean this thread of course, but if you haven't been out onto the wider web the shitlords are in meltdown worse than when we had lady Ghostbusters, because this time it's women and lots of brown and gay people too. It's why I like seeing some love for The Orville in this thread, because it's the closest thing I'm going to get regarding an honest opinion about it because it's a full on culture war out there gang.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Most sane non-Trekkie people are happily enjoying both the new Star Trek shows. Don't let fanboys get to you.

And the difference here with Ghostbusters (2016) is that it's just a bad movie by every measurable metric.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

precision posted:

Most sane non-Trekkie people are happily enjoying both the new Star Trek shows. Don't let fanboys get to you.

And the difference here with Ghostbusters (2016) is that it's just a bad movie by every measurable metric.

I saw all three GB movies in the cinema and love the new one most of all so...

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

johnsonrod posted:

I'm not hating on Discovery really and I'm enjoying it for what it is but The Orville, after a few episodes at least, feels much more like the spiritual successor to TNG than discovery. The characters are almost instantly more likeable than their Discovery counterparts too.

I wasn't really even thinking about it in those terms but you're right. I love DS9 but TNG was great for it's sense of optimism overall. I really just meant it in terms of all the little jabs at Star Trek in general. Although, now that I'm a few episodes in and it seems to have found it's footing, it's nice to see they're going less for the "make fun of Star Trek" and going more for the "Star Trek: TNG homage" angle.

That's the weird thing about Discovery, most people like it, they just hate it's called Star Trek. If they swapped the names of the Orville and Discovery, I think people would go loving bonkers over both shows.

I think of Star Trek just as a sci-fi universe, whereas most trekkies view it as that and a style of show. Any deviation from the TNG format in the Star Trek universe seems to be met with disdain. "Discovery is alright, but it's not Star Trek." And "Oh, you must not be a fan of Star Trek if you like Discovery. :chord:" are the most common things I hear when discussing the two shows. That, and some weird hate for Seth MacFarlane just because Family Guy isn't cool anymore or whatever.

STAC Goat posted:

Exactly this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Parkingtigers posted:

I saw all three GB movies in the cinema and love the new one most of all so...

That's cool; I saw the first one in theater as a kid but not the second. My wife and I walked out of 2016. Different strokes though, I just couldn't get into it despite absolutely loving McKinnon, Jones and Wiig.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed Ghostbuster 2016. I didn't love it or anything but it was no worse than Ghostbusters 2. Obviously it didn't live up to the original classic but that's an all time great comedy. The remake/retcon/whatever was different enough in a lot of ways that I have no problem seeing it as its own little spin that was amusing enough for the time I spent on it and I'd watch it again.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Parkingtigers posted:

It's weird because I'm a primarily TNG fan Trek-wise, but I feel that Discovery is the best Trek that has ever been trekked, and I'm sitting here every Monday waiting for 3pm local time to hit so I can get my next fix before jonesing for another week. I can't speak to The Orville, which I've only seen clips of. Looks to be a weird blend of either too serious, or not serious enough, but if people are enjoying it I'm glad. But man I am willing to stan the gently caress out of Discovery. With a couple of notable exceptions, my social group is all well into it too.

Biggest shame of all is that both shows aren't just allowed to exist on their own terms and be good/not good without the massive, massive amount of shitposting online about Discovery because it openly pursued Star Trek politics of diversity and inclusion. And all True Star Trek fans know Star Trek isn't about such Star Trek values and... yeah the internet is being especially obnoxious out there right now. The name-brand Trek is getting downvoted to gently caress, the off-brand Trek is being pushed as the real deal, when really both sound like they have a lot of fans and people could be enjoying all of them but as always "The Discourse".

Don't mean this thread of course, but if you haven't been out onto the wider web the shitlords are in meltdown worse than when we had lady Ghostbusters, because this time it's women and lots of brown and gay people too. It's why I like seeing some love for The Orville in this thread, because it's the closest thing I'm going to get regarding an honest opinion about it because it's a full on culture war out there gang.

Discovery gets me. I get Discovery.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I figured the negative internet hype was exaggerating about Iron Fist, so I started it up and I was right; I'm not hating it as much as everyone else seems to. I'll grant that Danny's not a great character by himself, but he's more of a "force of nature" type of character which the MCU hasn't really explored (aside from I guess The Punisher). But I like the supporting cast and I especially like the characterization of the Meachums, Ward in particular. He gradually goes from typical corporate douche to an absolute trainwreck, and the actor knocks it out of the park portraying him as a man who's falling apart. There are a couple ridiculous bits (like the sexy spider ninja lady fight), but for the most part I dig it more than the back half of Luke Cage or the Elektra parts of DD season 2.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

precision posted:

I generally like Max Landis scripts and I gave up on Dirk halfway through the first season. Its insufferable twee-ness was just too much for me, even though things like the holistic assassin are great

And I love Elijah Wood too

It might be too late, but it's really worth persevering. I really struggled with Dirk himself being aggressively annoying but the way the story unfolds it puts his attitude in some kind of context and turns out there are reasons he is like he is and he's just as hosed up as everyone else on the show. Later in the season, and so far in season 2 he is still annoying, but I found it more endearing and tolerable as time went on. The last few episodes of season one are great and everything comes together in a way I didn't think they'd be able to pull off... including the holistic assassin Bart/Ken stuff (which is great).

Edit: On an unrelated note, I don't mind Discovery, it's watchable but a little dull. I tried a couple of episodes of The Orville and I'm just going to assume everyone who has anything remotely positive to say about it watched a completely different show called The Orville to me from this point on.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 6, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I said it before but now Ive finished S3 so I have to say it again: you should all watch Bosch

Amazing detective show with superb writing, acting (specially Titus) and production

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I was actually about to ask about Bosch. I'm only an episode or so in, but I like it so far. I was curious if it got better or went down the shitter.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I was actually about to ask about Bosch. I'm only an episode or so in, but I like it so far. I was curious if it got better or went down the shitter.

imo is one of those rare shows that keeps the same quality consistently across its seasons (at least so far)

If you are enjoying S1, you will probably keep enjoying it through S3

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It gets better, the next two seasons don't have generic serial-killer plots.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I actually didn't love season 1 of Bosch but it was just good enough to keep going and it gets way better after that.

e: if you like that show, try Chance (Hugh Laurie in a twisted noir thriller) on Hulu, and Goliath (Billy Bob Thornton as a complete rear end in a top hat failure in a lawyer/noir thing) on Amazon. I like both of them even more than Bosch.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, cool thanks for the recommendations.

I quite liked season 1 of Fortitude, but I'm about 3 or so episodes into season 2 and I'm starting to feel like it's a chore to get through so I may just shelve it and rotate one of those in.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

STAC Goat posted:

I enjoyed Ghostbuster 2016. I didn't love it or anything but it was no worse than Ghostbusters 2.

man talk about your low bars. GB2 was warmed-over garbage, never seen GB2016 simply because I feel the original explored the comedic possibilities of busting ghosts to my satisfaction.

sticklefifer posted:

I figured the negative internet hype was exaggerating about Iron Fist, so I started it up and I was right

Iron Fist isn't "bad" so much as it is "inessential"

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

Yeah I actually didn't love season 1 of Bosch but it was just good enough to keep going and it gets way better after that.

e: if you like that show, try Chance (Hugh Laurie in a twisted noir thriller) on Hulu, and Goliath (Billy Bob Thornton as a complete rear end in a top hat failure in a lawyer/noir thing) on Amazon. I like both of them even more than Bosch.

I'd rank em from bestest to least bestest:

Goliath - The mystery behind the case was pretty compelling, and while I hated her at first Nina Arianda absolutely nails her role as Patti. If she wasn't at least nominated for anything it's a shame. And Thorton always plays a great rear end in a top hat.
Chance - mostly because of Ethan Suplee
Bosch - Felt like I've seen it all before, but still pretty good

Edit: I actually had Chance above Goliath but after thinking about it for more than 30 seconds I realized I liked Goliath more

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Iron Fist isn't "bad" so much as it is "inessential"

I guess I can see that. Though it does give insight into what The Hand is up to and what they're doing in New York at the very least, which until then was "big hole in the ground".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Iron Fist is actually kind of the most important series as far as setting up Defenders. And I guess Daredevil 2.

I actually think its reasonable to conclude that a part of the problem with the Defenders run is that the closer they got to the Defenders series the more the other series started to write to set that up. All the early stuff both has next to nothing to do with the Defenders and is basically universally regarded as better.

Or in short, the Hand sucked and dragged stuff down.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I had this crazy idea to watch every marvel production available on Netflix. Started with Luke Cage, but it was so dull halfway through the first season I had to cancel the entire operation

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Klaaz posted:

I had this crazy idea to watch every marvel production available on Netflix. Started with Luke Cage, but it was so dull halfway through the first season I had to cancel the entire operation

Sounds like you got spared Diamondback.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Posting about this again because.

!!!!

Band of brothers just came up on on Sky on demand.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
To bridge the gap to the next Discovery episode, I thought I'd try watching some Star Trek Enterprise, the only Trek show I've never dabbled with. It's uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... hard to go back. I mean it's not terrible, just aggressively bland. I shouldn't have been too surprised considering it overlapped with other Trek shows being made but for something that's only 16 years old it really feels so much older (and not in a good way).

What was up with the two characters sensually lubing each other up with decontamination gel, while acting like they don't notice that they are running their fingers slowly over the top of almost exposed buttocks and toned muscles? I mean go all in for sexy, or awkward unwanted closeness, but just dispassionate greasing up of the hot alien? Doesn't work, and the lingering camera is just creepy AF when they're acting like they've done this all the time, like it's trying to blame me for staring at that long close up of midriff. The characters have just met each other, I've just met them too, and I gotta tell you that of all the ways to handle such a scene this was the only possible bad way to do it.

Ugh, 5 days until the good Trek is back again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Iron Fist is actually kind of the most important series as far as setting up Defenders. And I guess Daredevil 2.

I actually think its reasonable to conclude that a part of the problem with the Defenders run is that the closer they got to the Defenders series the more the other series started to write to set that up. All the early stuff both has next to nothing to do with the Defenders and is basically universally regarded as better.

Or in short, the Hand sucked and dragged stuff down.

I think the problem is more that Marvel's Netflix writers seem to know how to start a season, but are pretty bad at ending them, especially when it's more than 10 episodes. Their first couple shows had pretty strong first seasons, but since then it's been the same formula: Strong start with a cool antagonist and plot that gets resolved midway through, and then a weaker back half where a new villain/plot gets introduced.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Last night Ive watched that Stranger Things episode 7 people here were complaining about and I actually enjoyed it a lot

It does makes a good break of pace before the final showdown, and 11 is still my favorite and there wanst enough of her before that episode, and she was always kind on the background. And it was cool to see her hanging with someone else like her and actually training her powers. I liked it

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just thought it was overly inconsequential.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inconsequential is the perfect way to describe it. The acting and writing are all pretty terrible, but in the long run I don't think it's gonna amount to anything. If there's more of the badly acted murder squad in season 3, then I'll start to worry.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's only inconsequential if you don't like it, otherwise it's actually very important to the plot and character of Eleven.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She could have decided home meant Hawkins at her mother's house. In fact they could have done a lot more with her mother, but instead chose to have her go to Dagobah for a romp with a murderous BK Kid's Club.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just finished that episode and while I think it's insane to suggest people skip it altogether, it's probably my least favorite episode so far but I think that might be more that 11's arc in this season feels kind of halfassed and muddled (those gang members were pretty bad characters, too). It's starting to feel like 11 has gained the teleportation powers that much of the cast of GoT seemed to gain in its latest season as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think they wrote the ending "her and Mike at the Snow Ball" and just worked their way back from there trying to think of ways to keep hem apart for the entire season, but not have her stuck in the upside down because that's expensive.