Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hbag posted:

so since i already made the mistake of pledging back in april last year i might as well see if there's a goon org so i can try and make the most of it

Record your griefing videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

hbag posted:

so since i already made the mistake of pledging back in april last year i might as well see if there's a goon org so i can try and make the most of it

How the hell did you manage to do that? Was it in the middle of a COVID-induced haze?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

There Bias Two posted:

How the hell did you manage to do that? Was it in the middle of a COVID-induced haze?

i was derealizing pretty hard back then so probably yeah

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

so no goon org?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
what the gently caress is wrong with you

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

hbag posted:

so no goon org?

There used to be the Goonrathi. I assume everyone realized by now that SC is a scam and left, I don‘t know.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/fljk

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

hbag posted:

so no goon org?

Why are you trying to play star citizen? Do literally anything else with your time.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I actually want to play it now for the cheapest price possible that will apparently let me heal all the true believers to death and steal their loot.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I actually want to play it now for the cheapest price possible that will apparently let me heal all the true believers to death and steal their loot.

The whales will complain and they'll patch it out very soon most likely.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

There Bias Two posted:

Why are you trying to play star citizen? Do literally anything else with your time.

sunk cost fallacy of already having pledged in april 2020

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

the goon org is this thread and the one in games, where we laugh at the bad game

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
You are better off watching paint dry than "playing" Shart Shitizen.
Or like literally any other game, including Anthem.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This thread is far more fun than SC. And it even exists.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

For all you 'pay to win' whiners posted:

When the game goes retail...You will NOT be able to buy the ships with real money.... Those who participated in alpha will get to keep anything they bought with real money... Everyone else is starting with a starting package.. 40-60 range...

So quit whining... the alpha crowd will be a minority compared to the retail crowd if this game explodes as planned..

quote:

You don't think there may be a few more NMS and ED 'refugees'? You don't think those who have been sitting on the fence or swallowing the 'It's a scam! BS' might just take another look? There are many, many who comment that they will get the game as soon as they can afford a PC good enough to run it, if Vulkan and Gen12 lower those entry requirements uptake will increase. A similar situation exists for those in areas of poor internet connection. 6 Years ago I gifted a starter package to a 'starving college student', he graduated, got a job and now posts in the Concierge section of the forums. Lot's of young people will come of age in the next 2 - 3 years, and Star Citizen is virtually unheard of outside of western Europe and the USA because there is no language localisation - yet.

There are those who are only interested in Squadron 42 right now, they think that the two games won't be connected and that the range of activities is not the same in Squadron 42. They may very well change their minds when they find they can do much more than they thought they could.

There are many comments on Youtube and Twitch streamers chat that suggest the above scenarios are a good possibility, and there are those who simply say.. I'll wait until the game is in a more finished form. More people playing and streaming means more people see the game, growth has gone almost exponential in the last two years and there is more and more 'content' to come in the next year. Right now you have to search out the game on Youtube and Twitch, their algorithms wouldn't tell you about the game if you were heavily into other games you think (or the YT and Twitch algorithm think) are not related. Most have no idea about the game, much less the huge scope of it... this is where other games like ED and NMS give a false impression of what space games are. Bethesda's Starfield may actually improve Star Citizen uptake if it really is a 'Skyrim V in space'.

Right now, because we don't have persistence, there is no narrative. There is no 'Living Breathing Universe'. There is much more content already created being held back because of this lack of persistence but when it goes in it will change everything because people love a story and there are going to be loads of them. It used to be that if you had one years full $20 subscription you could name and give a back story to an outlaw character on Spider - they stopped it in early 2016 because so many had qualified to be able to create a character - that's one location in the universe. Star Citizen is going to be one long soap opera expanding into the future, it is nothing like any other space game out there, and when they see that it isn't all about space pew pew and trucking they'll prick up their ears.

If CIG can get the VR right (and VR is getting cheaper and cheaper) that will make Star Citizen unique as the only massive open universe MMO VR experience out there. The limiting factor is that it runs on PC when most do their gaming on consoles, but Star Citizen has modules that 'could' be ported to consoles... as their hardware improves. Chris did not say 'Never consoles'.. he said that he couldn't see consoles having the hardware to support the full game as they were 8 to 10 years ago. Console hardware has improved and it is not wholly necessary to run 'the whole game' to get the Star Citizen experience of Theatres of War and Arena Commander.

There are some other unique capabilities that will be in the game - sports and live events for example, you saw an opera singer aboard an 890J in the Gatsby video they can stream other live actors into the game because it was designed to enable live content that may prove to be attractions all by themselves for 'casual visitors' who had no idea you don't need to buy, fly and fight in ships to see the spectacle.

$45 is well within most PC owners capabilities and there will be things coming to Star Citizen you just can't get anywhere else. Those who love roleplay games will have an epiphany when this game goes live.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait to read whatever internet vomit anyone with 20 dollars and bad critical thinking skills contributes to the lore.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

quote:

Bethesda's Starfield may actually improve Star Citizen uptake if it really is a 'Skyrim V in space'.
How so? People will stop playing that game to go fantasize about torture on a forum and not play a game?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ventral EggSac posted:

How so? People will stop playing that game to go fantasize about torture on a forum and not play a game?

And what happened to Skyrims II through IV?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Morrowind was #6, Skyrim was #7 and Starfield is #8 try to follow

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lol nvm you were right
installer got to the last MB then crashed, now crashes every time i start it up again and try to continue the install

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

You have to disable UAC and put a page file on a SSD, for real... per the install instructions.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Bronze Fonz posted:

You have to disable UAC and put a page file on a SSD, for real... per the install instructions.

loving lmao
10+ years and they cant even get a launcher right

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well that sucks because SC would be a cool as poo poo game if it wasnt a massive scam

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
No it wouldn't have.

They just recently got carts you can push. And they destroy your ship if you push them up the ramp.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Pennywise the Frown posted:

No it wouldn't have.

They just recently got carts you can push. And they destroy your ship if you push them up the ramp.

did you read the last 6 words of my post or did you get blinded my rage and the untamable desire to beat the poo poo out of your keyboard before that point

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The scam is promising poo poo that will never happen.

edit: also the game doesn't exist. Also I wasn't attacking you so chill homie. :)

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 21, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hbag posted:

did you read the last 6 words of my post or did you get blinded my rage and the untamable desire to beat the poo poo out of your keyboard before that point

hbag I'm going to :siren:mod challenge:siren: you.

you are not to post in this thread again until you have posted a ~10 minute video, which depicts you earnestly attempting to have fun in the video game star citizen. up to you if you include commentary.

Failure to comply with these straightforward requirements will lead to a ban + 30. i will allow one (1) post acknowledging this challenge.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sebmojo posted:

hbag I'm going to :siren:mod challenge:siren: you.

you are not to post in this thread again until you have posted a ~10 minute video, which depicts you earnestly attempting to have fun in the video game star citizen. up to you if you include commentary.

Failure to comply with these straightforward requirements will lead to a ban + 30. i will allow one (1) post acknowledging this challenge.

using my 1 post for this, which is an acknowledgement but also uh
i can't actually...
boot the game...

the launcher crashes on the last MB and none of the troubleshooting poo poo seems to have worked
i will stay out of this thread until i have figured out a way around it

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

hbag posted:

the launcher crashes on the last MB and none of the troubleshooting poo poo seems to have worked

IMO, I feel like this does count as an earnest attempt to have fun with the videogame Star Citizen, though it might be hard to make into a video.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
My favorite part of this mod challenge is the lack of a timeframe. It's not unreasonable to have a success 5+ years from now.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hbag posted:

i can't actually...
boot the game...

Make a 10 minute video of yourself following the steps in random forum posts to get the game to boot. Exciting pagefile and file permissions management.

Burns
May 10, 2008

hbag posted:

i can't actually...
boot the game...

Thats a nice hmbol right there.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Awww that's kind of a harsh punishment. Just give them a 6'er if anything.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I feel like ten minutes of screen cap of the installer running and failing would cover

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

hbag posted:

i can't actually...
boot the game...

post a help thread on their spectrum forums thing, and screen cap the snotty responses you get

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Awww that's kind of a harsh punishment. Just give them a 6'er if anything.

The rules are clear, Pennywise the Frown

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

sebmojo posted:

The rules are clear, Pennywise the Frown

Harsh. But harsh.

So be it.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

hbag posted:

i can't actually...
boot the game...

It just says you have to be attempting to have fun, attempting to install it counts, so screen record all the bullshit hurdles you have to jump through even just to get it running.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

hbag posted:

i can't actually...
boot the game...

trying to install is part of the game

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Why would you want to play skyrim in space when new vegas in space exists in The Outer Worlds? Severely underrated game, shouldn't have slept on it as long as I did.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

It just says you have to be attempting to have fun, attempting to install it counts, so screen record all the bullshit hurdles you have to jump through even just to get it running.

Doing that while having fun would basically just be hbag hardcore rp’ing as a citizen of The Fourth Stimpire.

Doable, but with more bloodshed.