Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Chiaverini v. City of Napoleon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
CHIAVERINI ET AL. v. CITY OF NAPOLEON, OHIO

Held: The presence of probable cause for one charge in a criminal proceeding does not categorically defeat a Fourth Amendment maliciousprosecution claim relating to another, baseless charge. The parties,
and the United States as amicus curiae, all agree with this conclusion,
which follows from both the Fourth Amendment and traditional common-law practice.

KAGAN, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS, C. J.,
and SOTOMAYOR, KAVANAUGH, BARRETT, and JACKSON, JJ., joined.
THOMAS, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which ALITO, J., joined. GORSUCH, J., filed a dissenting opinion.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

CHIAVERINI ET AL. v. CITY OF NAPOLEON, OHIO

Held: The presence of probable cause for one charge in a criminal proceeding does not categorically defeat a Fourth Amendment maliciousprosecution claim relating to another, baseless charge. The parties,
and the United States as amicus curiae, all agree with this conclusion,
which follows from both the Fourth Amendment and traditional common-law practice.

KAGAN, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS, C. J.,
and SOTOMAYOR, KAVANAUGH, BARRETT, and JACKSON, JJ., joined.
THOMAS, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which ALITO, J., joined. GORSUCH, J., filed a dissenting opinion.

I assume Thomas' dissent is just "TO THE OUBLIETTE WITH THEM ALL!!!!" with some signatures at the bottom.

Also they're really having fun drawing this out, aren't they.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

lmao I love Kagan's writing

quote:

But Chiaverini refused their request too, saying that it contradicted a letter he had just received from the police department telling him to retain the ring as evidence. And when repeating his refusal to another officer the next day, Chiaverini suggested (for reasons unclear) that he was operating his store without a
license. The result of that (shall we say, unprofitable) exchange was that the police turned their attention from the
original theft to Chiaverini’s business.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Diaz v. US

not the last case today

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Roberts for the last one then. Could be immunity.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Xiahou Dun posted:

I assume Thomas' dissent is just "TO THE OUBLIETTE WITH THEM ALL!!!!" with some signatures at the bottom.

Also they're really having fun drawing this out, aren't they.

The Republicans on the SC are doing their utmost duty to party first, to delay this poo poo as long as possible

Every Republican official is a traitor, and would side with Putin and Trump over you

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
NO WHAMMY NO WHAMMY

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Diaz v. US. NOT THE LAST OPINION

Held: Expert testimony that “most people” in a group have a particular
mental state is not an opinion about “the defendant” and thus does not
violate Rule 704(b). Pp. 4–11.

THOMAS, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS, C. J.,
and ALITO, KAVANAUGH, BARRETT, and JACKSON, JJ., joined. JACKSON, J.,
filed a concurring opinion. GORSUCH, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in
which SOTOMAYOR and KAGAN, JJ., joined.

quote:

This was a case about whether prosecutors in a drug-trafficking case can call a government witness to provide expert testimony to rebut a defendant’s contention that she did not know that she was carrying drugs. The question comes to the court in the case of a woman who was stopped at the U.S.-Mexico border with 28 kilograms of methamphetamine hidden in her car. She maintained that the car belonged to her boyfriend and that she didn’t know that the drugs were in it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Gonzalez v. Trevino

:rip: thread

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Supreme Court Junkies

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:lol:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Per Curiam opinion, announced by the Chief. Final decision of the day

quote:

In Nieves v. Bartlett, 587 U. S. 391, 402 (2019), this Court
held that, as a general rule, a plaintiff bringing a retaliatory-arrest claim “must plead and prove the absence of
probable cause for the arrest.” At the same time, we recognized a narrow exception to that rule. The existence of
probable cause does not defeat a plaintiff ’s claim if he produces “objective evidence that he was arrested when otherwise similarly situated individuals not engaged in the same
sort of protected speech had not been.” Id., at 407. We
granted certiorari in this case to consider whether the Fifth
Circuit properly applied these principles. It did not. We
therefore vacate that court’s judgment and remand for proceedings consistent with this opinion.

Reading the tea leaves, this seems to be 8-1 with Thomas dissenting

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TulliusCicero posted:

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how Trump's Anti-Matter bubble shields him from Epstein/ pedophilia poo poo:

The man hung out on a private island with the most notorious rich pedophile in the world for years

Is a proven rapist

Ran a young woman's beauty pageant where he was infamous for walking in on them changing

Allegedly committed multiple sexual assaults

Stated his friend "likes em young"

Spoke multiple times about how hot his daughter is

All the people around him/ his orbit get charged with pedophilia, including one of his aides and his Spiritual Advisor.

Yet the media seems to barely report on this poo poo at all, and apparently his followers can just say "he's deep undercover exposing the REAL pedophiles".

I'm just so tired. He's so clearly a horrible human being in so many ways, including pedophilia and possibly incest, but no one even seems to bring it up.

Their win condition is not "have someone in charge who has the following list of characteristics, which Trump happens to match up with". It's "have TRUMP in charge"

It's not like you can convince them that Trump is suddenly bad because he no longer fulfills one of those checkboxes. The logic flows the other direction.

It doesn't matter what Trump does, whatever he does becomes what they wanted all along.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Booo

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

The Court is doing its damndest to try to find opinions that get a majority of Justices on both sides it seems.

Feels like Roberts is really leaning on Kavanaugh and Barrett at least

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The Supreme Rulers-I mean Judges did not see it fit to plug the potentially constitutional timebomb today either. Too bad they’re above the law, like in any functioning democracy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My guess is they'll issue another 3-4 tomorrow, then next week have 2-3 days where they dispose of everything except trump and then release that one on July 3rd.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Per Curiam opinion, announced by the Chief. Final decision of the day

Reading the tea leaves, this seems to be 8-1 with Thomas dissenting

this entire case sounds stupid as hell; sounds like they arrested a 76-year-old woman for the crime of absentmindedly grabbing a binder

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
That women was no angel

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Oh hey, happy Slayer of Cain-Day!

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1803791729021108246?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

My guess is they'll issue another 3-4 tomorrow, then next week have 2-3 days where they dispose of everything except trump and then release that one on July 3rd.

You really think so? I think they'll dispense with everything next week tbh. I'd be extremely surprised now if they decide to punt into July because they can smell the jet fumes

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You really think so? I think they'll dispense with everything next week tbh. I'd be extremely surprised now if they decide to punt into July because they can smell the jet fumes

They’ll have to rule by July 11th at least, I would imagine.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

They’ll have to rule by July 11th at least, I would imagine.

Hush money case is outside the scope of presidential immunity

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

kazil posted:

Hush money case is outside the scope of presidential immunity

Ah, right you are.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Here's my best guess as to what's happening with the Trump case

This is an extremely complex case with novel, never before argued points. The Justices are well aware of this. My suspicion is that they had an initial vote, the vote went one way and as opinions began to be drafted there was horse trading and the majority controlling opinion shifted. My best guess is that Roberts is writing the opinion on this since that seems to be his thing. The three liberals are locked in one way and Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch are locked in the other, so it's really coming down to who can sway Kavanaugh and Barrett

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is an extremely complex case with novel, never before argued points. The Justices are well aware of this. My suspicion is that they had an initial vote, the vote went one way and as opinions began to be drafted there was horse trading and the majority controlling opinion shifted. My best guess is that Roberts is writing the opinion on this since that seems to be his thing. The three liberals are locked in one way and Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch are locked in the other, so it's really coming down to who can sway Kavanaugh and Barrett

You've answered this before, but for the life of me I don't understand the complexity, since, at root, isn't this just a question of whether a President is above all laws, or not? Both in and outside of their duties as President?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
lol
https://x.com/atrupar/status/1803794736311927208

beef sweat
Jan 1, 2013

Have any studies been done on how much of the Republican voting pool has died due to COVID misinformation/suiciding on :horsedrugs:?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

RIP Tim Scott

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just in time for Civil War II: Electrified Boogaloo Boys. :patriot:

What you've suggested is sadly believable. And it would be because some out of touch white dude smugly nodded to himself that: "Ahh yes, this is poetic and will go down in history and I will be H I S T O R I C."

This timeline is too loving stupid and too loving ridiculous to be a simulation and I can't decide if that makes it better or worse.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

beef sweat posted:

Have any studies been done on how much of the Republican voting pool has died due to COVID misinformation/suiciding on :horsedrugs:?

Several. You can see a blue county and red county next each other with one have a significantly larger fatality rate.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kazil posted:

RIP Tim Scott

drat. He put in some high level toadying too.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Is it possible there's some internal politicing going around to make Thomas and Alito exclude themselves from the case due to recent allegations, or is that just wishful thinking

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Is it possible there's some internal politicing going around to make Thomas and Alito exclude themselves from the case due to recent allegations, or is that just wishful thinking

Wishful thinking. Alito and Thomas don’t give a drat about that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

They're saving the "potentially destroy the country" decisions for the very end. This is more of an artifact of the court following their usual procedure rather than an evil plot (though I think a very good case can be made that their handling of the Trump immunity case is malicious compliance considering everyone and their cousin pointed out to them the bad conseques of doing that). It's disappointing, but it's not unexpected.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

redshirt posted:

You've answered this before, but for the life of me I don't understand the complexity, since, at root, isn't this just a question of whether a President is above all laws, or not? Both in and outside of their duties as President?

Most people think there are two options:

1) the president must be immune all the time for everything

2) the president cannot be immune to anything

So let's take the second option. Suppose a president orders a drone strike on a terrorist convoy and it kills civilians. This is clearly an official act. However, should he be able to be prosecuted for it? Setting aside the moral implications; I'm talking about legal ones.

What if the president does something that's an unofficial act, say, calling political donors from the oval office? Should he be prosecuted for that after leaving office? In fact, what even justifies an official vs an unofficial act? We've never had to answer these questions. We shouldn't HAVE to answer these questions, but now we do. What if a president whips up a mob and incites it to storm the capitol, but he does it from the White House Press Room instead of a rally outside? Is that an official act? Where is the line?

Legally, this is an extremely tricky area to deal with because you start getting into a whole host of hypotheticals

Wishful. They would have recused already if so

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 20, 2024

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

beef sweat posted:

Yeah, look at any election results vs the polling since 2020.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Stupid question: has accidentally killing civilians during congressionally approved military operations ever been considered "illegal"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

No because it's considered a consequence of war

I mean go back throughout human history and civilians have always been targeted in war actions. It's just mostly been recently that it hasn't been allowed to be on purpose (someone with a better sense of military history feel free to correct me)