Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
This Peridot-colored abandoned ticking backpack is exactly what we need to raise awareness of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Cmon guys it's just a joke.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Triskelli posted:

Cmon guys it's just a joke.

:cop: : "Sir, we've received reports that you have been telling children that you are going to 'give them a very special fist'. You're going to have to come with us."

:pedo: : "I-It was just a joke. A joke!"

:cop: : "Tell it to the judge, freak."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Who What Now posted:

That sounds like an awesome way to get arrested.

Eh, not if you're sly about it. One of the guys from The Yes Men did something along those lines back in 1993: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbie_Liberation_Organization

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

(There is a Hotdogs Vs Marshmallows splatfest in splatoon this week)

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

(There is a Hotdogs Vs Marshmallows splatfest in splatoon this week)

I will be disappointed if Miiverse isn't flooded with an equivalent number of Connie-based "ANIMAL BYPRODUCT" memes for the other side

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The show needs to do this.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I hate that Komm Susser Todd started playing in my head as soon as i saw that. Internet! :argh:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Much earlier in the thread, someone said that the show had zero filler, and until about a week ago I completely agreed. However, after watching through it a third time while showing a close friend (I watched it all the way through once, IMMEDIATELY started it again cuz I loved it so much, then started showing a friend), I'm gonna have to say that "Rising Tides, Crashing Skies" is definitely filler. There's no significant advancement/development of world, plot or character that I can think of--the closest it comes is showing how the residents of Beach City have their own lives and don't generally concern themselves with the Gems' poo poo, but that's already been established in various ways. That episode's a skipper for me.

Also, Ronaldo's easily the weakest/least interesting character, at least to me. That's not to say he is a weak or uninteresting character--just that the cast is so loving strong, that even though Ronaldo's kinda silly and cute (and genuinely hosed in the head sometimes), I'm just too impatient with his scenes and want to get back to everything/everyone else.

The two times I loving loved Ronaldo were in Garnet's Universe, and when he shows up at the cliff with Steven all :emo: "So you come here to brood too, the burden people like us bear, blah blah" :emo:

That last one mostly because I think we've all known self-absorbed toolsheds like that.

EDIT: okay the third time I really enjoyed him as a character was of course when he was the most interesting and relevant, "Horror Club."

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 6, 2015

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Considering that Teen Titans, Young Justice, and Green Lantern all got shitcanned because it was a "boy show" that too many girls started watching, which caused the toy people to get confused and panic, I don't think there's any way for Steven Universe toys to happen.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ronaldo is the only irredeemable villain in the show.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Who What Now posted:

Ronaldo is the only irredeemable villain in the show.

Naah. "S3E18: Ronaldo takes his meds"

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

MechaCrash posted:

Considering that Teen Titans, Young Justice, and Green Lantern all got shitcanned because it was a "boy show" that too many girls started watching, which caused the toy people to get confused and panic, I don't think there's any way for Steven Universe toys to happen.

Is this actually the reported reason? Because, if so...

:psyduck: "Our show has too many fans!" :psyduck:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Are we just treating the Uncle Grandpa as it never existed? Cause that's definitely filler. Along with Rising Tides, Crashing Skies as you mentioned and Garnets Universe.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Golden Goat posted:

Are we just treating the Uncle Grandpa as it never existed? Cause that's definitely filler. Along with Rising Tides, Crashing Skies as you mentioned and Garnets Universe.

Say Uncle is where Steven learned to summon his shield at-will. Not filler.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

As long as the filler episodes continue to be good like they have been or the sides in One Punch Man and not bad like Naruto, Inuyasha, or Bleach I will not complain about them.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
sorry but Pearlface: The Episode should not be considered filler IMHO

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Blasphemeral posted:

Hasbro and Toy People don't like kids and genders stepping outside of their predictions and expectations. It freaks marketers out when they find out they don't actually understand the market at all.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

MechaCrash posted:

I suppose instead of the traditional toy route, they could go with the Internet/specialty store route. They'd probably sell in like, comic book stores.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Quinton posted:

Somebody really should put together a danbooru style art collection for SU fanart... the trick is that's a bunch of work if you want it to not suck (since you really want to obsessively tag everything correctly, be sure to tag artists and original sites, etc, too). There's got to be thousands of pieces out there...

I know this is from the last page, but...

As someone who has done something like this before- I would recommend against it. Other than the fact that it's a major timesink that will be enjoyed by hardly anyone and just as quickly forgotten, it can quickly get way out of hand and lead to a lot of drama. Especially when it becomes a team effort and you start going farther and farther afield looking for new stuff. It can get weird.

Just post good things you find in the thread and enjoy that. No mess no stress.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

poo poo ratings, regardless of whether or not they had both genders watching, is the reason why those shows got stopped.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Golden Goat posted:

No. Unless you think that Steven Universe about an epic conflict between the Crystal Gems and the Homeworld gems with occasional side stories about some wacky secondary characters, which it isn't, the series doesn't have filler.

Hell, filler only really makes sense if your story is an adaption of an existing one, since only then you can introduce additional material that wont impact the ongoing story, which is really the hallmark of the entire concept.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 6, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

For the record, the original Avatar series was nearly taken down because it was bringing in too many teenagers in the audience, which was outside of Nick's specified age range they wanted to appeal to. The only reason it stayed on was because of the sheer number of viewers it was bringing it, I think it blew Spongebob right out of the water (metaphorically).

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

e X posted:

No. Unless you think that Steven Universe about an epic conflict between the Crystal Gems and the Homeworld gems with occasional side stories about some wacky secondary characters, which it isn't, the series doesn't have filler.

Exactly. The "side stories" and "filler" are what make the show great. I couldn't care less about the homeworld diamond bad guy, if whosit and whatsis get out of their abusive underwater adventure, or if green nerd continues to make trouble. Nor do I think Steven's destiny or the history of the gem civil war are really worth going into- some things aren't worth explaining every single tiny detail about. The show woks best when it can stretch it's legs, have fun and let the characters bounce off each other, and I think it would suffer if it has to "get on with the plot."

The plot is dumb.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Crossover fanart... "Lapis Delivery Service"...

( http://starweather.tumblr.com/post/125974562234/ )
( http://starweather.tumblr.com/post/125877575854/ )

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Just Offscreen posted:

Exactly. The "side stories" and "filler" are what make the show great. I couldn't care less about the homeworld diamond bad guy, if whosit and whatsis get out of their abusive underwater adventure, or if green nerd continues to make trouble. Nor do I think Steven's destiny or the history of the gem civil war are really worth going into- some things aren't worth explaining every single tiny detail about. The show woks best when it can stretch it's legs, have fun and let the characters bounce off each other, and I think it would suffer if it has to "get on with the plot."

The plot is dumb.
the plot's actually really cool but the slice of life is good too

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

steven universe is a good show

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Seluin posted:

steven universe is a good show

I agree.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Filler is really only when something treads water without doing anything interesting or exciting with its time whatsoever, like the constant flashbacks and glacial pacing in DBZ, extending it to mean anytime an episode doesn't advance the plot in the strictest of senses is kinda stupid and really reductive. We can complain about filler when episodes are taken up by clipshows and protracted scenes of Lars and Sadie reacting to Stevonie's battle against Malachite

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

On the other hand, I would love an episode where Steven and Peridot learn how to drive.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Just Offscreen posted:

The plot is dumb.

I dunno. One of the cool things about SU is that it's both a cartoon sitcom and an anime sci-fi action show, and neither of those elements really feels subordinate to the other.

Like, I get the feeling that a lot of people get introduced to it through The Return/Jailbreak and come away thinking it's a straightforward DBZ kind of thing. Those people are missing the bigger picture, sure, but even just reading it on the one level the show still totally works. That's a huge credit to how solid and multifaceted the writing is.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

On the other hand, I would love an episode where Steven and Peridot learn how to drive.

I'm on board with this, but only if Peridot wears that outfit that Piccolo wore, where it looks like he's on his way to a Public Enemy concert.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Not Steven and Peridot, but...

( http://discount-supervillain.tumblr.com/post/125425666192/ )

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm fairly confident Steven Universe could make an episode about the characters learning to drive really funny and memorable

Honestly they could probably an episode about paint drying to make it pretty funny and unexpectedly moving

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Honestly they could probably an episode about paint drying to make it pretty funny and unexpectedly moving

Another currently-running cartoon already did that with watching paint dry. But I don't think we're allowed to talk about it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, hold on, are we just going to ignore Pericat?

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Are we ever going to get a Blu-ray?

That's the one piece of merch everyone should buy - Heck I'd buy the boy and pink editions if they were ever released.

I just don't want Skylanders/Amiibo-esque merch because I've resisted that business so far. But goddamnit if they ever did a SU release with that model there's no way I wouldn't empty my wallet on that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The only real merch I want are the soundtracks as Mr. Universe CDs made up to look like he burned them and printed out the covers himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chakram posted:

Another currently-running cartoon already did that with watching paint dry. But I don't think we're allowed to talk about it.

That's probably for the best

• Locked thread