Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I tried out that armoured commander roguelike and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Unfortunately the latest release, 3.0, seems to crash every time I had to do a crew bailout or if my tank gets destroyed. Sent the error logs to the creator in hopes he gets a fix for it out soon. Otherwise, I'd recommend giving it a try. The menus are relatively easy and simple to learn. Just...just expect to die. Alot.

http://www.armouredcommander.com/blog/ This is to the blog for his latest test releases, not just the main one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Behold, the Ancient Powers of QT finally manifest in the Roguelike World---NPPAngband/Moria, now greater and/or more different than ever before~

http://forum.nppangband.org/viewtopic.php?id=1707

quote:

This is a completely new port of NPPAngband and NPPMoria. Using QT, the game now has a modern UI. The codebase has undergone a major restructuring, and all new code has been written in C++. There are plenty of new features and gameplay improvements as well. Best of all, Shockbolt has expanded his stunning 64x64 tileset to include unique tiles for all monsters, objects, and terrain in both games.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Blackray Jack posted:

I tried out that armoured commander roguelike and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Unfortunately the latest release, 3.0, seems to crash every time I had to do a crew bailout or if my tank gets destroyed. Sent the error logs to the creator in hopes he gets a fix for it out soon.
I think he released a fix for this just today, thanks to your report.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there much new stuff in 3.0?

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Tons. You can check out the changelog: http://www.armouredcommander.com/blog/2016/01/14/beta-3-0-preview-1/

The dev's wrapping up the last major features for the game over the next few months, then will start work on ArmCom 2 from scratch.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm looking forward to the idea of an ArmCom 2. Pattons Best made a good starting point, but being able to distance himself from it opens up a lot of potential (and avoids vague potential legal trouble).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 19, 2016

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Same! It's pretty amazing what he's already managed to accomplish in only a year, and this was even his very first game.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kyzrati posted:

Tons. You can check out the changelog: http://www.armouredcommander.com/blog/2016/01/14/beta-3-0-preview-1/

The dev's wrapping up the last major features for the game over the next few months, then will start work on ArmCom 2 from scratch.

Looks good to me im gonna play it later. I wanna start later so i dont have to do a massive slog before getting to choose a new tank. One of the big things that i didnt like was how you had to go for so long before there was ajy feeling of progression or change.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Isaac posted:

Looks good to me im gonna play it later. I wanna start later so i dont have to do a massive slog before getting to choose a new tank. One of the big things that i didnt like was how you had to go for so long before there was ajy feeling of progression or change.
True, that's a tough thing with a game attempting to realistically simulate something that may play out over a longer period of time. I think a better fix would be to add a wider variety of interesting content so it feels like less of a slog, but I think he'll go for that in the next game instead. (We talked about this last summer when he visited me IRL, which was pretty cool--actually got to hang out with another RL dev =p. I really need to go to IRDC one of these years...)

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Probably a long time off but im looking forward to AC2

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, I believe he plans to spend another couple months with ArmCom.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
A new version of Cogmind is out https://www.reddit.com/r/Cogmind/comments/41midt/released_alpha_6/

Maybe with this version I'll suck less at it! (Not likely)

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
I'm going to stream some Cogmind today--Tuesday 10:30 PM EST, if anyone wants to stop by and watch me own it for a few hours. Hopefully, anyway... I'll probably be going out of my comfort zone to do more hacking than usual, since that's one of the big changes in this release. But I also insist on shooting things, so with a hybrid build it could get pretty messy :black101:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Kyzrati posted:

I'm going to stream some Cogmind today--Tuesday 10:30 PM EST,

You should link your twitch page in your twitter bio perhaps, or anywhere on your blog, like here

I went so far as to schedule an advance tweet to the Dungeonfans to let 'em know you're streaming, because I'll be out and about tonight.

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 19, 2016

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Thanks, madjackmcmad! Wish I could check out some of your own streams, but... you always do them when I'm asleep.

I've only fairly recently started streaming, and it's only once every week or two, so I never felt it was "official enough" to stick on any of the sites, but yesterday I did finally add a link to the /r/Cogmind sidebar, and to the list of links on the Cogmind website itself. The blog sidebar I've always kept a little more bare bones, with a focus on development, though maybe I should expand the list to include more of the locations the main website links to. (Not something I'd want on the Twitter bio, either, since it's too infrequent.)

I'll be starting the steam in another 90 minutes--finally get to play some Alpha 6! It's the weekly seed, which according to the screenshot has a rather dangerous opening with an Operator that reports your location immediately on arrival.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Bugs I've seen in dungeonmans in 10 hours of play:
1. A blue-headed pangolin in an overland encounter thing tossed me into a pocket completely blocked off by trees and rocks. I only got out with a blink scroll.
2. A vault guard walked through one of the locked doors on the middle floor in a bandit tower.
3. My museum won't update anymore when I bring in monster lore books. This is kinda annoying. okay now it is, I dunno

Overall it's pretty fun.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 20, 2016

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

resistentialism posted:

Bugs I've seen in dungeonmans in 10 hours of play:
1. A blue-headed pangolin in an overland encounter thing tossed me into a pocket completely blocked off by trees and rocks. I only got out with a blink scroll.
2. A vault guard walked through one of the locked doors on the middle floor in a bandit tower.
3. My museum won't update anymore when I bring in monster lore books. This is kinda annoying. okay now it is, I dunno

Overall it's pretty fun.

Firing a bow with the eager prefix and main handing a weapon with the same prefix can cause the melee weapon to hit the enemy at range which can have some hilarious results

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Oh god I'm new to these types of games and have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Brogue is an excellent starting point, in my opinion.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

IronicDongz posted:

Brogue is an excellent starting point, in my opinion.
I can only imagine what starting roguelikes with brogue would be like, it sounds really nice.

DoomRL is another good choice.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Banana Man posted:

Oh god I'm new to these types of games and have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

I'm assuming you want the real deal not just stuff like Spelunky or BoI.

so my suggestions are:

dungeon crawl stone soup or ToME if you want to jump into the deep end with a full fledged big game that still has graphics and the possibility of using your mouse

doomRL or Brogue if you want something a bit smaller

sproggiwood or dungeonmans if you want to spend some money (sproggiwood is on sale right now!)

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Banana Man posted:

The game that got me into roguelikes was DoomRL. I'd recommend that as a start even though it has it's own feel that doesn't really feel like other roguelikes. (Oh and it's free)

TOME is another good starting point. It's pretty accessible, doesn't need spoilers to progress, and is generally fairly newbie friendly.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

tome is only a good starter roguelike if you have a high tolerance for really ugly UIs and gross default sprites. yeah that's right, i said it :can:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Lutha Mahtin posted:

tome is only a good starter roguelike if you have a high tolerance for really ugly UIs and gross default sprites. yeah that's right, i said it :can:

it's true, the success of tome is really a testament to the quality of its core gameplay because the whole thing is ugly as gently caress. There are a few addons that make the UI better. There are also addons that make the sprites ... different, i'll leave relative quality judgments in that case up to the user.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just go in the deep end and start on slashem. Itll make you tough

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I'd go for crawl myself, it's got lots of information about it, a really great bunch of goons on the SA thread, and you can focus on easy to play but not easy to win builds like a Minotaur berserker.
It also has clear milestones to help gauge progress.
Finally it's online play mode allows people to spectate and give advice, and to join in tournaments.
In short, crawl is awesome and I'm a fanboy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

towerclimb soundtrack was added to steam as dlc, which for some reason bumped it to the popular new releases part of steam's front page :confuoot:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Isaac posted:

Just go in the deep end and start on slashem. Itll make you tough

I literally did this. :negative:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

I literally did this. :negative:

Me to. Im also really bad at roguelikes compared to this thread. So take what you will

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Banana Man posted:

Dungeonmans

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My AC was like 1.75 or something so 3.0 got alot of cool stuff i didnt know about. Played it last night as canada for a bit.

Gonna play dmans tonight. Whats the layest on starting traits. I keep choosing the fire/ice one and world champion

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Isaac posted:

Gonna play dmans tonight. Whats the layest on starting traits. I keep choosing the fire/ice one and world champion

Southernborn or whatever gives a big hp boost but has the hidden benefit of granting immunity to paralyze, which is really nice against some very nasty enemies.

Tireless is huge if you plan to use Stamina abilities, otherwise Electrolyzed for mana builds is great.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Doom RL is amazing and the sprites, sound fx, and music will spoil most other roguelikes for you.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The Ground Gives Way is a pretty good starter textmode roguelike. TOME or DCSS for pretty tiles but lots more complexity.

Or go for the sunk cost fallacy and buy Cogmind because it's good and you'll be like "Well I paid 30bux for it so I better play it".

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
IVAN :colbert:

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
I'm getting my poo poo pushed in at FTL, let's say for example that I found a scummy save that unlocks all the ships, what ship is actually fun to play as to the end? That fuckin' rebel flagship (and boarding parties!) keep wiping me out. Better question: how do I make an anti-boarding party setup on a ship and which one is best for that?

inb4 not a roguelikelikelikelikelike game

HeartNotes3 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 21, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

imo the greatest starter roguelike, as well as the greatest roguelike of all time, is Robot Loves Kitten :3:

e:

btw why isn't this game in the op :mad:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

imo the greatest starter roguelike, as well as the greatest roguelike of all time, is Robot Loves Kitten :3:

e:

I've never even heard of it

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

HeartNotes3 posted:

I'm getting my poo poo pushed in at FTL, let's say for example that I found a scummy save that unlocks all the ships, what ship is actually fun to play as to the end? That fuckin' rebel flagship (and boarding parties!) keep wiping me out. Better question: how do I make an anti-boarding party setup on a ship and which one is best for that?

inb4 not a roguelikelikelikelikelike game

The Mantis B is a load of fun, if difficult to get started. A four person teleport bay really breaks the game over its knees as you start to rack in more scrap than you can actually spend, but the beginning is rough when your having to abandon your ship every combat due to a lack of crew members (as well as running from every drone ship until you get medbay upgrades/a clone bay/an actual weapon).

If you want something more stable but fun, Federation A or B has a built in mega beam, and it's a system instead of a weapon. It is strong enough to pierce any level of shields (except Zoltan I think), but it can't be targeted. What this means is that you have a guaranteed way of taking out the Flagship, so you don't have to be worried about not being equipped offensively enough to beat it.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

e:

I think you mean Robot Finds Kitten.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I've only played cogmind a tiny bit, but I just started a run and ran into a terminal. I managed to get a list of all of the transporter cargo, and one of them has 6x grenade launchers.

I turn the corner and find a transporter, which happens to be the one with the grenade launchers.

This game is hilarious when you get explosives.