Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Viral Warfare posted:

Wait, since when can you buy into the beta? Where is this?

If you were a backer previously, you can buy the backer beta as an "addon" on the website (for $25) and get a steam key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Are there any good aquebuses in the BB? I've not spotted any uniques.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Don't buy the beta now. Only 36 days left. I believe Hotline Miami 2 is coming out before then.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Are there any good aquebuses in the BB? I've not spotted any uniques.

Nope. You're gonna have to slap enchantments on them if you want them to be better.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Viral Warfare posted:

Wait, since when can you buy into the beta? Where is this?

Since the kickstarter

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does the adventuring day / passage of time actually matter in any way or is it pure flavor?
The Athletics skill determines how much in-game time can pass before a character becomes fatigued and must rest.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What are the recommended stats for a Chanter? Intellect and .. I guess Resolve? or Intellect and Might?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 18, 2015

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I don't know what all this 'cipher' stuff is. Can someone in the beta please relate the status of Wizards? Specifically, fireballs, wearing plate mail while still dropping fireballs (I think I heard that was possible?) and whatever ancillary abilities you have when you are out of fireballs for the day.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

StringOfLetters posted:

I don't know what all this 'cipher' stuff is. Can someone in the beta please relate the status of Wizards? Specifically, fireballs, wearing plate mail while still dropping fireballs (I think I heard that was possible?) and whatever ancillary abilities you have when you are out of fireballs for the day.

There are no class restrictions on armor or weapons. So if you want to be a wizard in plate wielding a greatsword, go right ahead. Heavier armor reduces your recovery time, meaning you'll take fewer actions.

Wizard spells are mostly damage-dealing, both single target and AOE. They also have a small selection of crowd control spells (web and grease spells) and self-defense spells (mirror image and the like).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

StringOfLetters posted:

Ciphers are psions and Chanters are bards if you want to go by D&D terminology.

Renamed because apparently people are dumb and thought Bards were bad in D&D, or jokes, and because Psion is a really futurey sounding name.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

What are the recommended stats for a Chanter? Intellect and .. I guess Resolve? or Intellect and Might?
They should be denoted with stars on character creation, but I think this build has a bug with that - I get them when making an adventurer but not the PC. Intellect (or whatever affects AoE) and Resolve (or whatever affects duration) would be the most important Chanter stat for a straightforward build, because all of their chants are AoE.

StringOfLetters posted:

Wizards are all about AoE damage and combat effects. The way they work is basically a cross between BG mages and BG sorcerers - a wizard has an equipment slot for a "grimoire", which has a limited number of spell slots (4 per spell level in the beta). You choose which spells from your pool of known spells will fill the slots, and you can then cast those spells. Based on your level you get a number of casts from a spell level per day.

The twist is that you can have multiple grimoires, and thus multiple spell selections, that you put in a quickslot and can switch out (this takes a bit of time but can be worth it). So for example, you have a grimoire of ice spells and a grimoire of fire spells. If you're carrying the ice grimoire when you run into a pack of trolls, you can switch out to the grimoire of fire spells in combat.

In terms of innate abilities, there's a short range, tight-AoE pure damage spell that can be used by any wizard twice per encounter (or at least the BB wizard has this) and a very powerful short-term armor boosting reflex ability that can be used a certain number of times per rest.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Actually, that reminds me - Rope Kid, has the "high level wizards get low level spells as per-encounter" thing been dropped entirely in favor of arcane assault?

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Since we're going over the current states of all the classes, how are druids overall? Is spiritshifting worthwhile? Can you transform into different things, or are you limited to the form you pick at creation? What's the deal with wildstrike stuff?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spiritshifting is pretty not great at the moment.

Rope Kid I just want to be an awesome gently caress-off deer.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Yeah, spiritshifting doesn't seem to be that good right now unfortunately. You pick your form at character creation.

What *is* nice is that the Druid keeps his spellcasting abilities while spiritshifted. And Druids have some great spells. It's already a great class simply through the spells I think.

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

Definitely intellect it increases the linger time of each chant which allows to effectively have two active at a time (first starts, runs 4s, then lingers 4s while the second starts), also it may increase the Area of affect of the chants and definitely increases the AoE of the chanters invocations. Aside from intellect build them how you like.

StringOfLetters posted:

Wizard:
Arcane Assault 2 per encounter - short range AoE ability that only hit enemies (all wizards have it)

Wizard Talents:
Arcane Veil & Hardened Veil - Gives +20 Deflection (main defence) once a day, Hardened Veil increases it to +45 Def (for comparison a large shield gives +20 Def, -10 acc), ok at low levels but need more per day or per encounter to make it good
Grimore Slam - Melee attack that knocks the enemy away from you with your grimore doing some damage
Blast & Penetrating Blast - Gives an AoE effect to Magical implements (Wands, Sceptre, Rod, they're ranged weapons with two damage types), Penetrating blast allows the AoE effect to ignore first 5 points armour
Spell Heuristics & Greater Spell Heuristics - Decreases cast time of self buff spells

Spells:
Every 2 levels a new spell level opens up, by default you get 4 casts from each spell level per day (items/talents can increase this).
Spells are a mix of AoE damage (Fireball, fan of flames, Noxius Burst), single target damage (Missiles, Necrotic lance), Crowd Control (Web, wall of flames, Grease, etc), Strong AoE debuffs (Curse of blackened Sight, Fetid Caress), a couple of summons (a couple of weapons and a duplicate) and weak to average buffs (Mirrored Image, Ironskin, Eldritch Aim etc)
Wizard spells cover pretty much every damage type in the game (Fire, Freeze, Shock, Corrode, Crushing, Slashing, Piercing, Raw) and there are spells that target every defence (Deflection, Fortitude, Reflex, Will) which means they can usually find something that will hurt an enemy, they also have a range of vampire style spells, and can inflict pretty much every nasty condition/debuff effect that is in the game (blinded, paralysed, petrified, stunned, stuck, hobbled etc)

In the Beta you can load 4 different spells per level into your grimore, and choose which mix to cast. If you want access to other spells you can load them into different grimores and switch during combat though there is a delay for doing this.

Wizards can wear any armour and use any weapon, however unless they use a mix of their buff spells, or you kit them out with alot of magic goods the class doesn't really have the basic stats (accuracy, deflection, endurance & health) to act as a tank or front line fighter, though they can do ok moving up after the front lines have settled and teaming up on someone.
The only downside from wearing heavier armour for a wizard it slows them down and they take longer to recover from casting a spell.

Effectively they're a versatile ranged AoE and CC class, won't do the highest single hit damage but with there AoE spells and AoE range attack from the Blast talents they can easily do they most damage in the party if you play them properly. If you use them to properly stack up effects and debuffs on enemies they can be pretty devastating. They do require a bit of movement though as some of there better spells have a shorter range or are cone AoE's so party way through an encounter it's not uncommon to move them to the flank of the enemy and drop some spells from point blank.

Attributes wise Wizards like Intellect and then probably either Might or Dexterity (when it's fixed).
Intellect increases the size of the AoE for spells, with the added bonus that the area beyond the spells default AoE is controllable by the Wizard making the edges of the spell Foe only while the centre usually will hit every one. Secondly intellect increase the duration of all spells and effects of the spells allowing you to increase the amount of time an enemy is paralysed by up to 50% same for damage over time effects.
Might increases damage from spells.
Dexterity when working will decrease the time between spell casts for a wizard and will increase rate at which there normal attacks occur.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I just want to be best at dialogues.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Megazver posted:

I just want to be best at dialogues.

quotin dis

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is combat actually fun in the beta? It seems an impossible jumble of effects and flailing and your characters dying in seconds; is there a good sense of control over what's going on?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

if you have good party awareness, yes. The best way to get through combat is to prioritize targets and positioning at the beginning of combat and use your spells wisely.

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

sebmojo posted:

Is combat actually fun in the beta? It seems an impossible jumble of effects and flailing and your characters dying in seconds; is there a good sense of control over what's going on?

Fun is subjective, but I'm playing on Path of the Damned and enjoying it, and my party rarely dies in seconds. I do pause a lot though, but then I also did so in IWD/IWD2 on heart of fury, or BG2 with the tactics mod's and the enhanced encounters.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I gotta say, the fact that any class can theoretically equip anything, even if it's not necessarily a good idea, is still my favorite part of this game's mechanics. That always bugs the poo poo out of me in games.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

For comparison, I typically played IE games on easy or normal and for the most part was able to fall into a comfortable rut of just brute forcing through encounters with particular spell spams and just charging my guys into the fray. That's not something I can really do in PoE, even on easy.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Aeonsim & Others posted:

:smugwizard: [the low down on wiz biz]

That's wonderful, thank you. My inclination to stick with the one true class of 2nd ed. is only strengthened. I like that it sounds like they have a lot of versatility. Stepping up in mail with a flash shield to shove a Cone of Stfu into someone's face sounds lovely.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

I gotta say, the fact that any class can theoretically equip anything, even if it's not necessarily a good idea, is still my favorite part of this game's mechanics. That always bugs the poo poo out of me in games.

That was already largely true of D&D 3rd edition though the penalty were so harsh as to make it incredibly impractical for most caster classes. I don't know how it was handled in 4e/5e because no one in my group wanted to try those.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That was already largely true of D&D 3rd edition though the penalty were so harsh as to make it incredibly impractical for most caster classes. I don't know how it was handled in 4e/5e because no one in my group wanted to try those.

In 4e you had one thing that all your strong abilities keyed off, you could use a variety of stuff that wasn't that thing but generally didn't want to. But there was no problem with a mage pinging away with a bow for 1d6/r or w/e, it was just so wildly suboptimal there was no point. There was a fighter subclass that had their gimmick as having lots of different weapons, though, and you could reskin anything as anything (so having a mage who used a 2 handed sword to channel their spells was fine).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I do think some of the effects are still a little strong. It makes me wonder if there's some way to fade them out a bit when you're paused or something. Or have characters ghost through them when paused so you can actually see what you're doing and manipulate other characters without having to wait with the game unpaused for the holy light blast you called down from heaven to fade away.

Also, are there any numbers on how the themed weapon focus perks work? (Weapon Focus Knight, etc.) It's a little... vague. Is this a +1 bonus a +10 bonus?

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

Fintilgin posted:

I do think some of the effects are still a little strong. It makes me wonder if there's some way to fade them out a bit when you're paused or something. Or have characters ghost through them when paused so you can actually see what you're doing and manipulate other characters without having to wait with the game unpaused for the holy light blast you called down from heaven to fade away.

Also, are there any numbers on how the themed weapon focus perks work? (Weapon Focus Knight, etc.) It's a little... vague. Is this a +1 bonus a +10 bonus?

It's +5 or +6 (can't remember which), which means against an enemy with equal defense all your to graze/hit/crit ranges improve by 5 points.

So if you have ACC of 50 and the enemy has Def 50 then a "hundred sided dice is rolled" to give you the result of the attack:
1-16 = Miss no damage, no effects
17-50 = Graze, 50% damage, 50% duration.
51-101= Hit 100% damage, 100% duration
>101 = Crit can't get with equal attack/def

So if weapon focus is +5 then your ACC is 55, enemy def 50 so you have a 5 point bonus its now:
1-11 = Miss no damage, no effects
12-45 = Graze, 50% damage, 50% duration.
46-95= Hit 100% damage, 100% duration
96-101 = Crit 150% damage, 150% duration (actually may be 125% now can't remember).

So now every thing is moved over your more likely to do damage and it's more likely to be higher damage, finally you have a chance of getting a Crit now for bonus damage and duration.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I just stumbled upon this and didn't see it being posted in this thread before so here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU4QBBTLo0I

It has an amazing amount of information so those of you who are interested but didn't pay close attention to the game, enjoy. It has no spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2DOCIWSl4w

This one is about classes, but be advised that they are constantly changing due to near release of the game. The basics are still mostly good.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Looks like they're planning on a beta update next week. Should be nice. Are we gonna see some new portraits?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
They're fixing the stats at least, right?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

VDay posted:

They're fixing the stats at least, right?

It wouldn't be an IE game if the stats worked how they were supposed to, so no.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Weapons have individual attack speed independent from a character's Dex stat (when it works, at least) right? Is there a way to check what it is or a list somewhere?

Trying to decide what the best weapon for a ranged cipher would be and whether a slower but more powerful one would be worth it or if just pure attack speed to build focus would be the way to go.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

VDay posted:

Weapons have individual attack speed independent from a character's Dex stat (when it works, at least) right? Is there a way to check what it is or a list somewhere?

Trying to decide what the best weapon for a ranged cipher would be and whether a slower but more powerful one would be worth it or if just pure attack speed to build focus would be the way to go.

Well I'm only at like level 6 so far but going blunderbuss with the Lead Spitter is definitely fun. Ruffian weapon set, the soul whip that does extra damage, etc. I'm not sure how many levels and talents we get in this demo but I think Penetrating Shot would probably be another good grab. I just went Might and Int maxed and ignored the other stats. I do one big hit, switch to powers, and if I run out of juice, either blast again or move in with stilettos.

i think you could also make it work by going for lots of small attacks but then you're spending a lot of time making small attacks when you could be using powers.

What I can't figure out is how to check my character's Max Focus. I got the talent for +10 Max Focus and suspect it was a waste -- highest I've ever seen my focus go was around 62, when I start each fight at 40 now, and 60 is generally plenty to take me through the fight.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

sebmojo posted:

I don't find it very tactical, most of the emphasis is on build and encounter strategy - so the fun comes from playing around with those, and finding effective combos. In this build the combat is a lot better than any previous build, if you ignore the pretty bad FoW exploits present in this build.

It's certainly getting there.

Basic Chunnel posted:

For comparison, I typically played IE games on easy or normal and for the most part was able to fall into a comfortable rut of just brute forcing through encounters with particular spell spams and just charging my guys into the fray. That's not something I can really do in PoE, even on easy.

That's something I posted about a few pages ago. It seems a lot of people (especially here) complained about this. I played on Core Rules and I avoid exploits and I have a drat good time every time. There's lots of different ways to beat encounters and a lot of tactical depth in the IE games.

Fintilgin posted:

Report them in the bug forums. They said to report overbearing FX and Spells that drop FPS.

aeonsim posted:

1-11 = Miss no damage, no effects

Miss is 1-15 :)

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 19, 2015

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

sebmojo posted:

I've been pretty vocal about my experiences with combat in the few beta builds I had time to play. I agree with people who say that it doesn't feel like IE combat; it can get really fun (especially towards the end of the beta once you have more abilities and spells), but in general it feels like there's just a big mess of bodies and there's too little mobility.

I haven't turned off the engagement stopping yet (haven't had more than 20 minutes to play, so I got as far as picking a class), but what I think I'd want is pausing on engagement and some visual indication of which engagements changed. That way I could decide if I want to rethink my actions or risk the engagement attack. Maybe this is an option, I haven't checked

My current thinking is that I'll play through the game once as Ropekid intended, and then if I didn't enjoy it I'll find some mods that make it more like how I remember IE games being, or really anything that looks fun. The IE mod video on Sensuki's page showing how engagement was changed (mostly turned off, but without breaking AI) looks like something I'd want to try out.

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

Sensuki posted:

Miss is 1-15 :)

When your acc is 5 higher than there defense?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sensuki posted:

That's something I posted about a few pages ago. It seems a lot of people (especially here) complained about this. I played on Core Rules and I avoid exploits and I have a drat good time every time. There's lots of different ways to beat encounters and a lot of tactical depth in the IE games.
I wasn't really complaining, tbh. It's good for a game to slap your hand when you get lazy. And I barely consider most IE games to be tactical given the way D&D classes worked. There were spell battles and then just a bunch of other stuff that went on under them

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Apart from some of the optional monsters like the Demi Lich in BG2, It didn't feel like I had to be tactical in any of the IE games, at least not in the easier modes, which I was quite happy with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well I'm only at like level 6 so far but going blunderbuss with the Lead Spitter is definitely fun. Ruffian weapon set, the soul whip that does extra damage, etc. I'm not sure how many levels and talents we get in this demo but I think Penetrating Shot would probably be another good grab. I just went Might and Int maxed and ignored the other stats. I do one big hit, switch to powers, and if I run out of juice, either blast again or move in with stilettos.

i think you could also make it work by going for lots of small attacks but then you're spending a lot of time making small attacks when you could be using powers.

What I can't figure out is how to check my character's Max Focus. I got the talent for +10 Max Focus and suspect it was a waste -- highest I've ever seen my focus go was around 62, when I start each fight at 40 now, and 60 is generally plenty to take me through the fight.

Unless I'm mistaken, the +10 max focus is for your initial out of combat Focus. So instead of starting a fight with 40 you'd start with 50, meaning you could do a stronger start with powers immediately if that is your thing.

• Locked thread