Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

I don't know what those are but they're a take on the winged gundam look that actually manages to look fantastical but not over the top baroque, and I like the head sculpts.

The Gundam X and its GX-bit drones.

The heads come in the southern pod accessory kit for Build fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

PoptartsNinja posted:

Somewhere, Blitz just swooned and they don't even know why.

Actually I'm still waiting for a real GX-Bit kit and not just the head.

Come on Bandai, you're like 25% there!

Anonymous Robot posted:

I don't know what those are but they're a take on the winged gundam look that actually manages to look fantastical but not over the top baroque, and I like the head sculpts.

I'm disappointed that someone can post in this thread and not recognize the GX immediately.

I clearly have not worked hard enough.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
All of Bandai's bad decisions have been forgiven.

SOUL OF CHOGOKIN DINO MEGAZORD!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

BlitzBlast posted:

Actually I'm still waiting for a real GX-Bit kit and not just the head.

Come on Bandai, you're like 25% there!

I'm disappointed that someone can post in this thread and not recognize the GX immediately.

I clearly have not worked hard enough.

I know the GX I just didn't know the drone versions.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Are those full HG size unmanned (weird anime psychic) gundams, small sized gundams, or normal sized gundams but small models?

If the latter then I could see them working pretty nicely in a forced-perspective "hero gundam up front, army gundams in the distance" diorama.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I learned a lot painting this one. I still have to do the accessories, but the mobile suit itself is done.
You can pretty much watch the lessons learned, I did the right arm, left arm, right leg, left leg. Each one is a little better than the last.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

Are those full HG size unmanned (weird anime psychic) gundams, small sized gundams, or normal sized gundams but small models?

They're full HG sized. He literally just stuck a G-Bit head on a HGAW GX.

If you want small models, Bandai's releasing a set of Universal Unit GX-Bits. Naturally I intend to get it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

They're full HG sized. He literally just stuck a G-Bit head on a HGAW GX.

If you want small models, Bandai's releasing a set of Universal Unit GX-Bits. Naturally I intend to get it.

Imposter. The BlitzBlast I know would buy 13 MG Gundam X models and make 12 GX-Bit heads. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I already bought 12 of the Universal Unit GX-Bit, what do you want from me? <:mad:>

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
13 MG Gundam Xs :v:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

water decals are awesome. Huge water slide decals used in place of color separation are not.

This.

After having heart attacks and numerous ripped waterslides trying to do one of the Idolm@ster model airplanes, I am having very real doubts about my ability to do this, and not really wanting to do a fully painted kit to this scale, I'm probably just gonna use the stickers for the color separation parts and waterslides for the warning/caution/emblem stickers, etc. If I gloss topcoat over the stickers, it should be okay.

Meanwhile I entered the Otakon contest with my Qubeley Papillon and it ended up crammed behind two MGs on action bases, so you can't really see it.

Thanks for not putting kits of the same scale together, Bluefin :-(

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I already bought 12 of the Universal Unit GX-Bit, what do you want from me? <:mad:>

Buy enough Gundam X kits to make a 1:1 replica of Buckingham Palace with the boxes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have a 40 dollar Roy Fokker veritech model that I basically just gave up on because of that poo poo.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It actually turns out you have to assemble Universal Units, so I ended up canceling the order.

I just

I just don't have the time anymore to build and detail the same small as hell thing 12 times I'm so weak. :negative:

EDIT: Though on the plus side I'm not being ripped the gently caress off for a 1200 yen candy toy anymore.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 13, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

It actually turns out you have to assemble Universal Units, so I ended up canceling the order.

I just

I just don't have the time anymore to build and detail the same small as hell thing 12 times I'm so weak. :negative:

EDIT: Though on the plus side I'm not being ripped the gently caress off for a 1200 yen candy toy anymore.

We're witnessing the end of an era, folks.

I'm with you, though. There's no reason for them to stop the Assault Kingdom line just to do the same drat thing with Universal Unit, except now they split the parts up between two boxes so you have to buy every robot twice to get everything instead of getting the occasional repeat.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MJP posted:

Thanks for not putting kits of the same scale together, Bluefin :-(

The bluefin booth display boxes are hilarious because you have all these kits that are really well painted but they're still doing the Barnes and Noble shuffle

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

We're witnessing the end of an era, folks.

I'm with you, though. There's no reason for them to stop the Assault Kingdom line just to do the same drat thing with Universal Unit, except now they split the parts up between two boxes so you have to buy every robot twice to get everything instead of getting the occasional repeat.

Looking at the details, it seems like Universal Unit is kind of worse than Assault Kingdom in every way.

There's the doubling up, obviously, but there's also a price increase, stickers instead of prints for some details, the assemble-it-yourself thing, and blind boxing.

Also, it's deeply weird the Z'gok-E is more expensive than the HG version. I really don't understand that bit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Bandai finally released the 1/72 TIE/IN, so my plamo backlog grows again. :negative:

I also snuck in the new TIE-FO variant with red panel because why not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

I thought Disney had banned Bandai from selling their star wars line outside of Japan?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought Disney had banned Bandai from selling their star wars line outside of Japan?

Pfft yeah, that was going to be absolute iron-clad. Just like P-Bandai has been only for the Japanese market for the past 10+ years.

Personally I want the upcoming Battle Droid and STAP.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, you know, Bandai's not doing it

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Revell were the ones who pitched a fit, last we heard.

That won't and can't stop Japanese model stores from selling their stock on Amazon, thankfully, so I've merrily kept on buying them.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 14, 2016

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've heard the story is that Bandai's Star Wars license comes from Disney Japan (presumably only for products distributed in Japan), so technically they can't sell their models overseas because other Disney branches have given out Star Wars licenses to different companies.

Doesn't stop importers from giving Disney the middle finger and importing, though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

closeted republican posted:

I've heard the story is that Bandai's Star Wars license comes from Disney Japan (presumably only for products distributed in Japan), so technically they can't sell their models overseas because other Disney branches have given out Star Wars licenses to different companies.

Doesn't stop importers from giving Disney the middle finger and importing, though.

I figured this was the case; Hasbro has the lions share of the Star Wars license.

Revell was mentioned; how are their kits (in general, not just star wars)? I see them on Amazon occasionally and usually assume they're crap from the low prices + lack of actual model pictures.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

I figured this was the case; Hasbro has the lions share of the Star Wars license.

Revell was mentioned; how are their kits (in general, not just star wars)? I see them on Amazon occasionally and usually assume they're crap from the low prices + lack of actual model pictures.

They're pretty eh, the main thing about them is they're slightly more play friendly than the average Bandai model.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Neurolimal posted:

If you've only built Bandai kits, you are spoiled for parts fit and flash.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

closeted republican posted:

What I heard is that Bandai themselves did the crackdown. Apparently, it came as part of the deal with them getting rights to a much wider Asian market. But I can't remember my sources, so... grain of salt.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ZZII takes high heels to a new level.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

If you had asked me what my favorite part of building a kit was a week ago, I would have answered:

"I like Panel Lining!"

After starting on the 1999 HG Guntank (which I only purchased because I wanted the full set of white base suits and a Revive version of the kit does not exist), I feel the need to revise my position:

"I like Panel Lining!*"

*: As long as it doesn't invove loving WHEEL SPOKES OR TANK TREADS.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

You ain't kidding.

How tall is that kit, anyway? It looks like it's about the height of a small master grade.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BlitzBlast posted:

This will be the base of the Bayonetta kitbash.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

If you had asked me what my favorite part of building a kit was a week ago, I would have answered:

"I like Panel Lining!"

After starting on the 1999 HG Guntank (which I only purchased because I wanted the full set of white base suits and a Revive version of the kit does not exist), I feel the need to revise my position:

"I like Panel Lining!*"

*: As long as it doesn't invove loving WHEEL SPOKES OR TANK TREADS.

This is where a wash comes in handy; it wont look as clean, but at least it wont take a drat hour.

You can even do it with just some generic black acrylic; you just put some in a container and drown it in water until it acts like water but isn't see-through. slather on thing and then wipe off the surfaces.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

IMO those heels completely ruin the kit. Also, why is this called ZZII again? It doesn't even have a ZZ style head.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

IMO those heels completely ruin the kit. Also, why is this called ZZII again? It doesn't even have a ZZ style head.

it's an upgrade to the ZII.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Droyer posted:

it's an upgrade to the ZII.

Then why isn't it called ZIII?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Then why isn't it called ZIII?

Because the sequel to Zeta Gundam was ZZ, not Zeta II. :v:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Which is to say, a third direct descendant in the Zeta line would be called the ZZZ

in the last gundam generation the Z's successor uses the Z's as prototype camoflage

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Someone attach a long beard and guitar to the ZZII.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

BlitzBlast posted:

I want ZZII to step on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

It does have some ZZ influences. You can see the shoulders, rear mounted cannons and the arm shields are taken from the Double Zeta. I mean, you're right that it's not THAT Double Zeta, but there's some touches that reference both component designs.