Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

This is more gamedev themed, but hey, $1 Cook Serve Delicious: Humble GameMaker Bundle 2

Pay $1:

GameMaker: Studio Pro
Uncanny Valley
Cook, Serve, Delicious! (+ Android)
INK
Extreme Burger Defense (+ Source Code)
Freeway Mutant (+ Source Code)
Shep Hard (+ Source Code)
Angry Chicken: Egg Madness! (+ Source Code)

Beat the Average:
GameMaker HTML5 Module
Home
Solstice
Galactic Missile Defense (+ Source Code)
Uncanny Valley Source Code
INK Source Code
10 Second Ninja X GameMaker Edition Source Code
Cook, Serve, Delicious! Source Code

Pay $15:
GameMaker Android Module
GameMaker iOS Module
GameMaker Windows UWP Module
Flop Rocket (+ Source Code and UWP Package)
Solstice Source Code
Home Source Code

drat, I just want to have Gamemaker for OS X :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

The Kins posted:

This is more gamedev themed, but hey, $1 Cook Serve Delicious: Humble GameMaker Bundle 2

i would really hope everyone knows this by now but just in case: gamemaker is actually a very decent gamedev tool nowadays, especially for learning. i highly recommend getting at least the $1 tier if you're at all interested in making games.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kibayasu posted:

I honestly can't believe Ubisoft hasn't made a separate game based off of the boat combat in AC3/BF. There has to be more than even the expanded boat game that Black Flag has to get out of it and I would play the hell out of it.

poo poo, just give me a boss rush mode like the elite boats in Black Flag. Something new, anything, the boat game was amazing.

You know, when David Eddings' characters made a running joke of "it's a ship, not a boat", I assumed that was just one more sign of how much of a hack he is*. Was.

But apparently people like you exist. That's vaguely infuriating.

* Enough of a hack he can't trust his readers to actually keep up with the real boats/ships difference.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Downs Duck posted:

Bit late, but drat... Booted it up just to see how it was and finished it in one go. That was super fun.
My new GTX 1060 will be here in a week. Waiting for that to arrive before I start Iji :banjo:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:agreed:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Xander77 posted:

You know, when David Eddings' characters made a running joke of "it's a ship, not a boat", I assumed that was just one more sign of how much of a hack he is*. Was.

* Enough of a hack he can't trust his readers to actually keep up with the real boats/ships difference.

I'm not sure what you just said but all I can really say in response is boat boat boat boat boat boat boat boat boat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ShadowMar posted:

i would really hope everyone knows this by now but just in case: gamemaker is actually a very decent gamedev tool nowadays, especially for learning. i highly recommend getting at least the $1 tier if you're at all interested in making games.

I'll grab that for a buck, why not? I want to look into how to do that a bit.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll grab that for a buck

So...you'll...buy that for a dollar?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WickedHate posted:

So...you'll...buy that for a dollar?

Big savings, big games, I love it!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

The Kins posted:

Pay $1:
Extreme Burger Defense (+ Source Code)
Freeway Mutant (+ Source Code)

I think this is wrong, actually. It seems that they're ONLY giving the source code for these games, not (Game + Source code)

Morter fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 6, 2016

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Xander77 posted:

I can in fact assure you there are people who have never been on a boat OR a ship in their entire lives and don't in fact give a gently caress about the nuances between the 2

this is also true for big rigs or trucks or semi-trailers or whatever the gently caress those are called

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Indecisive posted:

this is also true for big rigs or trucks or semi-trailers or whatever the gently caress those are called

jitneys

e: or sometimes trams

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Uh... there's a difference between boats and ships? Is it a size thing? I've never thought about it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

It's fake tho

e:
testing

ok corn in the bible, when you embedded a trailer from steam's store page, how did you make it so that the vid wasn't huge because when I tried embedding something just now, the vid broke the tables real bad like

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 6, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Morter posted:

I think this is wrong, actually. It seems that they're ONLY giving the source code for these games, not "Game + Source code")
Its set up weird, its the source code in the bundle, but you can submit an email and get those two games and a demo for free. Because in a past day those would be flash games you'd play on a random website.

e. You also get downloads for them in the pay anything tier, despite the way its listed.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 6, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Morter posted:

I think this is wrong, actually. It seems that they're ONLY giving the source code for these games, not "Game + Source code")

You look correct, based on the logos and stuff on the bundle. It's kind of confusing.

I'll probably grab the whole $15 tier. I've dabbled in games a little, but anything more complicated than like a lovely pac-man clone is more than I can do from scratch. I'm curious to actually try working with an engine like this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
All sonic games are bad, just the first 2 are less bad.

Anyways, I bought the Master of Orion and well, its MoO. It's nothing radical, with only the real time combat instead of turn based, but otherwise, its just a prettier, modern version of MoO. The voice cast is crazy though, the number of Star Trek alumn is crazy.

If there is one complaint I have its that there's only 2 ship design options, which means your fleets basically end up looking the same the whole game. That and I kind of wish they had kept some of the Moo2 and 3 races. Well, those can always be DLC.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

SWEET

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Indecisive posted:

I can in fact assure you there are people who have never been on a boat OR a ship in their entire lives and don't in fact give a gently caress about the nuances between the 2

k, time to :spergin: the gently caress out.

There are in fact "nuanced" technical differences between boats and ships, insofar as some things that most people would call "ships" are technically "boats". But as far as the vast majority of people are concerned small things are boats, and big things are ships.

Until the post quoted above, I've never seen anyone call a ship a boat, outside of hack fantasy. Annoying mostly because a total hack was proven marginally right, rather than because I care a lot about proper boat classification.

Edit - supersperg / literature major edit to clarify the actual point. A non-hack who felt it was really necessary to have the "landlubbers" make a mistake about proper sailing terminology would have them call one of the things most non-sailors mistakenly call "ships" a ship (Spielberg did just that in Jaws, without drawing any attention to it or issuing a correction from Quint. Just one of the many smart touches about that screenplay) while a total hack couldn't trust his audience to be intelligent enough to know the difference, and would just have them call a large ship with sails and stuff "a boat", which people don't actually do (or at least I thought they don't)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 6, 2016

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Xander77 posted:

k, time to :spergin: the gently caress out.

There are in fact "nuanced" technical differences between boats and ships, insofar as some things that most people would call "ships" are technically "boats". But as far as the vast majority of people are concerned small things are boats, and big things are ships.

Until the post quoted above, I've never seen anyone call a ship a boat, outside of hack fantasy. Annoying mostly because a total hack was proven marginally right, rather than because I care a lot about proper boat classification.

you can put a boat on a ship but you cant put a ship on a boat

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Xander77 posted:

a total hack

I remember liking Belgariad like ten years ago. :smith:

Could not tell you a thing about it, though.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

YEEEEeeeeesssssssssssss

I can't find information on this. What is it? When is it?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

What is it? Sequel? DLC?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
"Coming soon to a Crypt near you!" is all they've posted. DLC is a good bet.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Revolution 60
Can't figure out how to embed the trailer here without breaking tables so I strongly encourage viewing the trailer for this game.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Still remember the intro for this game. Completely blew me away. They completely deserve the extra revenue for an expansion pack.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Revolution 60
Can't figure out how to embed the trailer here without breaking tables so I strongly encourage viewing the trailer for this game.

But it has remastered graphics

core principal

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
This looks good.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ImPureAwesome posted:

Uh... there's a difference between boats and ships? Is it a size thing? I've never thought about it

Well, IIRC, in old age-of-sail terms a ship with only one or two masts was just a "Vessel" while a ship with three (or more) masts was a proper "Ship".

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

Revolution 60

ah Brianna Wu's masterpiece I thought this was a phone game

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

She Bangs the Drums posted:

ah Brianna Wu's masterpiece I thought this was a phone game

It was, but I guess no one bought it on mobile so now she's trying Steam for that sweet bundle money.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

ymgve posted:

It was, but I guess no one bought it on mobile so now she's trying Steam for that sweet bundle money.

It was actually kickstartered to be ported over to steam and took (I think) three years to do.

Honestly I think it only came out since one of the backers started a massive refund campaign.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

BexGu posted:

It was actually kickstartered to be ported over to steam and took (I think) three years to do.

Honestly I think it only came out since one of the backers started a massive refund campaign.

I will never stop being surprised at the things that get backed on Kickstarter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FirstAidKite posted:

Revolution 60

haha gently caress it's finally here

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DolphinCop posted:

borderlands 2 was good but you can look at it and see a direct line that led from it to battleborn so maybe it really does deserve to be forgotten
Speaking of Battleborn, it's already $28 Australian for New retail Xbone/PS4 copies of the game. Ouch.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

The Kins posted:

Holy flying gently caress yes, I've been beating myself up over missing the last one and this one is finally here~

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
So dumb question but if you buy the source code stuff can you actually use it in your own game? Or just for reference & your viewing pleasure? i'm not really hip to intellectual property conventions when it comes to this stuff

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I guess I'll bite for a dollar. Maybe I can make the poorly drawn anime game of my dreams or just look at it, get overwhelmed, and uninstall. Ohohohoho. And it comes with games too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

True but at least it didn't take forever to kill enemies but they could kill you in like two hits like in Unity.

Unity just has huge problems overall and they're not all technical problems. I like that the main assassinations are more sandboxy with multiple approaches but the stealth only works when it wants to, they took out whistling so you've got to use cherry bombs to lure targets instead, the parkour system is good but Arno still likes to get caught up on weird geometries, Arno is really fragile yet until you unlock the lategame weapons his attacks are so piss weak you'll be spamming smoke bombs just to even the odds, the game throws way, way, way too many collectibles at you as soon as you get the chance to freely roam around Paris and worse yet, some of them you can't even get until later sequences because of the stupid RPG elements added which means you need to spend points to unlock extremely basic abilities every other protagonist in the series barring Altair could do and most annoyingly, took away the ability to use human shields which means enemies which use guns are now a gigantic pain in the rear end and the only real counter to them is to throw a smoke bomb and then either close the distance or wait for Arno to slowly pull out his own gun, which again is an ability you need to buy to be able to do.

The story is also pretty awful and the characters unmemorable too. Arno is Ezio 2.0 if he completely lacked any charm and was actually a gigantic fuckup and for some reason, the game focuses on him instead of the much more interesting French Revolution. I know people complained about Connor in Assassin's Creed 3 basically being Forrest Gump with a tomahawk but the story of Unity could probably easily work without the French Revolution happening. When the game does decide to give a little attention to what's happening in Paris, it's either amazingly historically inaccurate or weirdly, takes the stance that the royalists were right and the poor should get hosed which is... odd, considering the villains of the next game, Syndicate are all exploitative industrialist types.
All of this makes me think I should try Syndicate before writing off the AC series forever. It's not on sale on Steam in Japan, but is on the PSN right now...how is performance over there?

• Locked thread