Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know how every year there's at least one big, expensive would-be blockbuster that unceremoniously flames out? For instance, last year, it was the King Arthur movie with Charlie Hunnam. What is it most likely to be this year?

Other than Solo, obviously.

Jurassic World 2, perhaps? A Wrinkle In Time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t think Solo will lose money

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

K. Waste posted:

Be specific.

Well it's a goon so I assume White didn't properly name the producers of Transformers toys or something.

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know how every year there's at least one big, expensive would-be blockbuster that unceremoniously flames out? For instance, last year, it was the King Arthur movie with Charlie Hunnam. What is it most likely to be this year?

All of them, hopefully.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Probably a wrinkle in Time. I think it looks cool personally, but based on a children's fiction book from close to two generations ago that the target audience has never heard of isn't a good formula.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

whichever movie has the highest budget

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sponges posted:

It might make money because it is a Star Wars movie, but because it is a Star Wars movie, it will have been an expensive production and then the cost of the reshoots, which I am given to understand have been extensive, has to be considered on top of that.

Granted, Disney probably isn't worried even though they reportedly expect it to underperform, since their other movies (Black Panther, Avengers etc.) will probably do well enough to compensate.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

K. Waste posted:

Knowles and Faraci are literally guilty of sexual harassment and assault. Armond White is guilty of thinking... the establishment fakes progressivism just to make money? Wow, truly a garbage human being on the level of Faraci and Knowles.

Armond White being a 10th-dimensional chessmaster contrarian about sexual assault accusations, saying that the sex was so bad that the woman should be the one in jail because he's the real victim.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I looked at a list of movies scheduled to be out this year and the one that looked the most at peril of flopping is the Robin Hood one with Taron Egerton.

Wild cards being Alita and Bumblebee.

I think Solo will still do really well in the box office but if it is terrible I could see it kind of poisoning the well for any future spin offs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Jurassic World 2 also has zero chance of bombing. I guess it could "under perform" and make 900 million or whatever instead of 1.5 billion, but it's gonna do fine.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Holy poo poo, if you're looking for a spiritual successor to the Crank movies of sorts (directed by one of the Crank guys and has similar editing/cinematography) that also involves Nic Cage going batshit insane, you're going to want to watch Mom & Dad :allears: It's out on demand and it's glorious hahaha

Nice Cage going crazy in a spiritual successor to the Crank movies you say? poo poo I think I know what I'm watching today.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Armond White being a 10th-dimensional chessmaster contrarian about sexual assault accusations, saying that the sex was so bad that the woman should be the one in jail because he's the real victim.

Armond White doesn't really have sex with women

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Probably a wrinkle in Time. I think it looks cool personally, but based on a children's fiction book from close to two generations ago that the target audience has never heard of isn't a good formula.

They forced me to read it in elementary school in the mid 90s so maybe they still do that?

I hated the book though so unless there's nothing else to use my movie pass on I'm skipping it

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Guy Mann posted:

In a debate about whether a film critic is an obscurantist contrarian, it has proved persistently difficult to get some posters to write in a manner that isn't overtly obscurantist.

Be specific. To what are you referring?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sponges posted:

Yeah there's no way. Still though..

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I still can't believe Jurassic World did so well. That was a pretty threadbare summer, right? Maybe there was just nothing else for audiences to see mid-summer?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was surprised by how well Jurassic World did; I was looking forward more to Star Wars in 2015 because I'd never been a huge Jurassic Park fan and didn't think there was a great deal of nostalgia for the series, but it should probably have been obvious to me that kids will always love anything with dinosaurs in it.

As far as competition goes, the biggest movie to debut immediately after it was Minions, but it had about a month where there was no major competition from any big "tentpole" movies and then the first one it did encounter was Terminator Genisys, which underperformed.

It was the same story with Star Wars; Force Awakens had about a month before anything that could get any of its audience showed up, in this case Kung Fu Panda 3. Conversely, Last Jedi's comparative underperformance (edit: and because I have so thoroughly discredited myself on the question, I'll note that it underperformed only in comparison to how much Force Awakens overperformed) must be, in some small part, because of Jumanji 2 being such a good competitor.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 21, 2018

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think this does raise the interesting question of whether or not a film has a responsibliity towards depicting historical events in an accurate manner. Amadeus, for instance, is an amazing work of art, but it's obviously doing a great disservice to the real Salieri.

I used to be annoyed by this until I read that the movie actually sparked a renewed interest in Salieri's work. Bad publicity is better than no publicity in some cases, I guess.

(The interesting thing is in the course of the narrative it doesn't actually matter whether or not Salieri is "mediocre". He could be great- the point is that he thinks of himself as mediocre. It's Impostor Syndrome, something faced by people in every creative field.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know how every year there's at least one big, expensive would-be blockbuster that unceremoniously flames out? For instance, last year, it was the King Arthur movie with Charlie Hunnam.

Nah, the winner last year has to be the Tom Cruise Mummy in a landslide, a movie that bombed so horribly it killed an entire franchise / universe.

In a good and just 2018, Ready Player One would flame out spectacularly, but ... we don't live in a good and just world. I have a feeling Venom, Alita, Maze Runner and Ocean's 8 all have the potential to fizzle.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Nah, the winner last year has to be the Tom Cruise Mummy in a landslide, a movie that bombed so horribly it killed an entire franchise / universe.

Haha, the Dark Universe.

I was quite looking forward to it because I enjoy the concept but my interest plummeted dramatically when I heard it was going to be set in the present day rather than the 1930s.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched half the mummy and it’s so baffiling. It’s like someone put in an alargariam for “blockbuster”.
“No we can’t do that! We’ll die”
“Come on! Where’s your sense of adventure”
*half a second later*
“Ahhh this is crazy oh no oh no!!!”

Like what. That’s not how comedic timing works.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Mummy was almost impressive in how little chemistry there was between the two leads.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It doesn't help that there are shots in the trailer that look fantastic and then these big sweeping grand shots look like ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Just cheap looking. Of course, that movie ended up making a ton of money anyway.

I think SOLO has a fair chance of underperforming. I know it's Star Wars, but you're kind of messing with a character that has been iconically played by one very well known person and still hasn't had a shred of anything released for it yet. I expect Disney to go on a full blitz anytime soon, but look how far out people started seeing ROGUE ONE trailers.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I do like the shots of werewolf Chris Pine stuck on the "Hotling Bling" set from that Wrinkle in Time trailer.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Mummy was almost impressive in how little chemistry there was between the two leads.

Tom Cruise makes no sense in that movie at all. He's way too old for the part, and his psycho macho charisma wouldn't have been right even if he was twenty years younger.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrVenkman posted:

It doesn't help that there are shots in the trailer that look fantastic and then these big sweeping grand shots look like ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Just cheap looking. Of course, that movie ended up making a ton of money anyway.

You mean Tim Burton's JOHNNY DEPP is THE MAD HATTER in Alice In Wonderland?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I feel like the winner of biggest bomb of 2017 would have to be Valerian, no?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Thundercracker posted:

The Imitation Game is just such a weird concept. You have this literal unjust fall from grace that's explicit in history, and instead of that they decided to invent some sports movie style "oh boy, can he make a computer in time to save the rec center" drama.

If I was making a Turing movie I'd make his trial and suicide front and center, and have the engima machine be this bitter reminder of bigotry looming in the background.

I come from a more engineering background and I was pissed that they didn't talk about the machine (or the logic behind decoding Nazi transmissions) more. The whole Enigma project felt like a big maguffin that could have been replaced by almost anything to still have the story work.

And yeah, I wish they did more with Turing and how the bigotry of the day really impacted him.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ocean's 8. Mama Mia 2. Robin Hood.

Bumblebee most likely.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

It did get a lot of people fired at Europacorp, so it's definitely up there.

happyhippy posted:

Bumblebee most likely.

That movie received a 22 million tax break from California, and its budget is 70+ million already. Together with toy sales, it's not likely to be huge bomb.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TWC has dropped more movies from their release schedule with The War With Grandpa, Mary Magdalene and The Upside all losing their release dates.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pirate Jet posted:

Another movie where you can literally feel how uncomfortable the leads were together.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Another movie where you can literally feel how uncomfortable the leads were together.

I don't think I've seen Cara DeLavigne be comfortable with anyone on any movie. She just seems uncomfortable with, you know, being an actor.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

muscles like this! posted:

TWC has dropped more movies from their release schedule with The War With Grandpa, Mary Magdalene and The Upside all losing their release dates.

and nothing of value was lost

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Phanatic posted:

I don't think I've seen Cara DeLavigne be comfortable with anyone on any movie. She just seems uncomfortable with, you know, being an actor.

She was not the problem with Valerian. I thought she actually did a good job and seemed to be having fun.

o jerusalem
Jan 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i am armond white and i walk among you in disguise

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Jet posted:

I haven't seen Valerian but my impression was that it was a movie people were disappointed had failed rather than a disaster on every level like The Mummy or King Arthur.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen Valerian but my impression was that it was a movie people were disappointed had failed rather than a disaster on every level like The Mummy or King Arthur.

Pretty much the main thing wrong with it is that no one saw it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Wheat Loaf posted:

I can't imagine anyone being excited about Fantastic Beasts 2 but it will probably do well anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I can't imagine anyone being excited about Fantastic Beasts 2 but it will probably do well anyway.

Unfortunately fat Muggle, the best character, won't be there. *sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

o jerusalem posted:

i am armond white and i walk among you in disguise

I mean I'd one hundo believe Armond White is a cined goon, so, hey