Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Araganzar posted:

Flaming is not the best rune in Extended - holy then freezing are probably best. I would probably run Pan, try to even out your gear a little, either get into a large shield or exec axe whichever presents itself. Maybe run a few zig levels, you could use better hat, cloak, boots, amulet to make up for what you lose with taking off gong. Gong really isn't horrible with torment resist but without it Pan and Hell levels are bad because they tend to be pretty sprawling and wide open. If you have a few restore ability potions there's nothing stopping you from doing Tomb either.
Pan lord was Cerebov. RIP, +18, you probably could have lived if I hadn't gotten cocky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

My gut says statue form because permabuffs, but the amulet might not hurt if you're using a god whose abilities cost piety.

Got statue form, did Crypt and got a randart rN+ ring, wound up winning.

pre:
Health: 349/349    AC: 51    Str: 33    XL:     27
Magic:  28/37      EV: 53    Int: 15    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   7379       SH: 21    Dex: 29    Spells: 5/65 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis .   a - +11 broad axe of the Distant Future {speed, Str+4}
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   v - +1 shield {AC+3}
rNeg     + + .     Faith    +   d - +9 gold dragon scales
rPois    +         Spirit   .   P - +2 hat "Oroangoc" {rF++ Dex+5}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   o - +1 cloak "Utwus" {MR++ rCorr Str-2 Dex+4}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   S - +0 pair of gloves of Precision Catastrophes {rElec rC+ rCorr}
MR       ++++.                  V - +2 pair of boots of the Assassin {Detection Stab+ Stlth++}
Stlth    ..........             m - amulet of Foolhardiness {Faith +Inv rN+ Str-5}
HPRegen  1.68/turn              E - ring "Faklium" {rElec rN+ Str+6}
MPRegen  0.25/turn              I - ring of Phasing {EV+9}
That axe made OOFs and curse toes a lot less scary. Probably the best 1h weapon I've ever seen in the game. Thank god because terrible shops, finished with 7300 gold.

Gnoll is crazy, got my archaeologist reward in Orc and it was salamander hide. I got a manual of axes on Swamp 2 and finished it in 3 steps outside the orb room in Zot 5. Cast any 6th level spell you want by your third rune. Zot was not hard with invisibility, 50+ AC and EV with phase shift up, and boots of assassin providing cleaving +11 axe stabs.

PMush Perfect posted:

Pan lord was Cerebov. RIP, +18, you probably could have lived if I hadn't gotten cocky.

Yeah most of the pan lords you don't have to fight since there are no zot effects to controlled blinks and nothing slowing down teleports. Cerebov is the one I skip most often, the ability to drop your rF is pretty nasty, he can tank a lot of damage, and he's dangerous to get close to for LCS or heavy melee. Honestly I should have told you to drop Gong, certain pan lord layouts it's not exactly the freshmaker.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 15, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm the opposite because I get perverse joy out of confusing Cerebov into lava

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Archaeologist update: Hermit Crab has some good early survivability, but the apts spread isn't as good. Got one with the Dark Hammer just pasting Ogres on D4 left and right.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Just FYI before you enchant an anti-magic executioner's axe up to +6 try to remember that reserved spell MP is now a thing and you'll have 3 MP left for Qazlal invocations with regen and spec weapon up.

If anyone has brand weapon scrolls I am paying top dollar. TOP dollar.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
code:
_Your +6 executioner's axe erupts in a glittering mayhem of colour.
_Xom swings by to laugh at you and high fives Qazlal!
:v:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

code:
:v:

oh my goodness

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

code:

Qaz update - just realized there's no reason to not run Song of Slaying constantly:
pre:
You fly downwards.
 You hear a bellow! x3
_Something shouts, "Attack, my pets! Attack!"
 Found a stone staircase leading up.
 There is a stone staircase leading up here.
 You hear an angry hiss. You hear a bleat! x2; You hear a shout! x3
 You hear an angry hiss. You hear a shout! x3; You hear a bleat!
 You hear a shout! You hear a bleat! You hear a shout!
Uh oh!

edit: ten seconds later...

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 16, 2019

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
This VSAc is going...very well. Started off with the shillelagh from the box, which is a lovely usable earlygame weapon, and then found this on like D:4

quote:

You finish putting on the +3 pair of gloves of Demons {*Contam Str+8}.
So I had a pretty decent time! Worshipped Qaz to synergize with the extremely loud shillelagh lifestyle...

...and then found Firestarter on D:13. :getin: That, together with the hat of the alchemist I got from a shop, means I'm basically just a horrifying walking explosions platform. The only difficulty is remembering to swap to shillelagh against rF enemies.

e: Tell me how not to gently caress up this character, this is too blessed for me to just bumble around with.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 16, 2019

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
So uh...how do I open the box?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fhqwhgads posted:

Read the manual. (Not the game manual, train the skill the item gives you a boost to.)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

PMush Perfect posted:

Read the manual. (Not the game manual, train the skill the item gives you a boost to.)

yeah, specifically the crate will open as soon as you've used up the manual and you'll get an item that's related to the manual's skill

So you probably want to set your training to focus whatever manual type you get, to pop that sucker open fast as possible

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
That makes too much sense, which is why that never occurred to me :v:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This VSAc is going...very well. Started off with the shillelagh from the box, which is a lovely usable earlygame weapon, and then found this on like D:4

So I had a pretty decent time! Worshipped Qaz to synergize with the extremely loud shillelagh lifestyle...

...and then found Firestarter on D:13. :getin: That, together with the hat of the alchemist I got from a shop, means I'm basically just a horrifying walking explosions platform. The only difficulty is remembering to swap to shillelagh against rF enemies.

e: Tell me how not to gently caress up this character, this is too blessed for me to just bumble around with.

Next time you get devastator, try worshipping WJC. The detonation occurs on every hit of a whirlwind, which vaporizes groups nearly instantly.

For your current character, your defenses are a little low. I’d work on dodging up to 10 or so, then armor until you get another point or two of AC. Some more maces and flails for fire starter would be my next goal after that.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I decided to try Gooncrawl again after a long gap. I killed Grinder, Duvessa and Dowan, Ijyb, Sigmund, a centaur (on D4, running blindly downstairs from Sigmund), and a ghost before getting absolutely destroyed by Pikel on D6.

I missed Crawl.

Edit: And Duvessa had a blade of distortion!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Archeologist is the most fun I've had with this game in a long time, thank you Goon crawl.

Also, is there a list of spells that can be perma-activated? Is it indicated anywhere in-game at all? It'd be nice to glace at spell lists and be able to tell if you can have it always going or not but apologies if it already does and I'm too stupid to see where.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Archeologist is the most fun I've had with this game in a long time, thank you Goon crawl.

Also, is there a list of spells that can be perma-activated? Is it indicated anywhere in-game at all? It'd be nice to glace at spell lists and be able to tell if you can have it always going or not but apologies if it already does and I'm too stupid to see where.

The current way to spot them is that they all mention the ability to cast them again to cancel the effects. Once I finish refactoring, they will also have a line about how much MP they reserve.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 16, 2019

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
In general, most charms that didn't give contam are permabuffs(so stuff like regen, battlesphere, ozoarmor, and rmsl, but not stuff like haste), and apparently transmutations are permabuffs now too.

All of them have status lines too, so look for that after casting something if you're not sure.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well this run was the first time I've ever gotten the rMut 3 mutation that I can recall. Having to deal with no regen in combat for almost the entire run until I dove a ziggurat and found a cure mutation potion to get rid of it was extremely annoying.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

well this was way easier to find than it was in nethack

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Should be an unrand that occasionally spawns a unique hostile wizard as long as you wear it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

This character feels...strong.

e: And right as I say that I almost die to Mara, lol. Mara is scary y'all!!

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 16, 2019

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Mara is the real final boss of DCSS

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Mara is the check for hubris. You pass if you decide to pass them by.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I killed Mara once or twice. The trick was to have a fuckload of allies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Or just kill him in two glaciates before he even copies you

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
tab mara or your character didn't deserve to win anyway

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Suffer not the unique to live, that includes Jorgrun if you're playing a gargoyle. :black101:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

would portal projectile as a permabuff be too OP?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

someone awful. posted:

would portal projectile as a permabuff be too OP?

It takes an MP every time you shoot so probably not. It's also not ideal when you have multiple enemies you could shoot through since if you miss there's no opportunity to hit the enemy behind your target, so there are legit reasons have to choose to have it up or not. Are Phase Shift and Excruciating Wounds not ever going to be permabuffs? I also thought Infusion might lose the MP cost on swing since it has a perma cost now and is a very modest buff.

I have questions on my Djinni of Trog. I seem to just be getting rocked left and right with 40/15/0 defenses. I just got Finisher so it's gotten easier but I still am running/stairsing constantly. Maybe I'm too used to using axes as a berserker.
http://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/araganzar/araganzar.txt

Really curious on 3 artefacts I haven't used much in their present incarnation:
- the +8 orange crystal plate armour {Archmagi, Int+3 Clar} - I could have 46/11 on this but takes my MR to ++ and I only have 19 str against 23 encumbrance
- the +5 scythe "Finisher" (weapon) {speed, eviscerate} - should I just main this or is a freezing bardiche better? I also have an exec axe of freeze but only 20 axes
- the +0 pair of fencer's gloves (worn) {+Riposte Dex+3} - no EA for dragon scales and no good medium armor - is this worth it with 11-16 EV? I could have +2 gloves of archery

I really wish I hadn't gone Zerker but early Trog and I was getting crapped on early. Int on all my level ups. Could be throwing self-targeted fireballs in OCP+randart Fire ring+Majin Bo (or staff of conj)+warlock's mirror.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 17, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

- Remember that 1:1 ratio is more a rule of thumb than an actual counter to encumbrance. It just means you'll be looking for STR on level up more than you will be looking for INT. I'd try it until you find a really good set of Ice Dragon Scales.
- Bardiche ends up being better in the end due to better base damage but Finisher can get you to that point.
- Do you throw often? Then take archery otherwise keep the fencer gloves on; you aren't going to miss two points of AC. You may also want to be on the lookout for gloves of strength to mitigate the heavier armours you're wearing.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I was cruising with the Dark Maul smooshing everything in my path via Hidey Holes with my Antman until I got shredded by Agnes in Elf 1 with a latajang of speed. I only post this is a warning because it was very sad to see happen and I had rocking gear but everything that went badly went badly in that fight.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

- Remember that 1:1 ratio is more a rule of thumb than an actual counter to encumbrance. It just means you'll be looking for STR on level up more than you will be looking for INT. I'd try it until you find a really good set of Ice Dragon Scales.
- Bardiche ends up being better in the end due to better base damage but Finisher can get you to that point.
- Do you throw often? Then take archery otherwise keep the fencer gloves on; you aren't going to miss two points of AC. You may also want to be on the lookout for gloves of strength to mitigate the heavier armours you're wearing.

My best bardiches are +1 of flaming and protection. Attacking at 0.7 with 18 base damage with vs attacking at 4.6 with 14 base damage it feels like Finisher has the edge.

I am doing throwing but if I had gloves of STR I would wear them, ideally you don't want to be more than 2 under encumbrance. The issue is putting on OCP takes me below MR+++ although the clarity is nice.

MR ++ almost killed me last game. I got turned into a mushroom guy by a shining eye on a acid square and I was stuck there foerver because I couldn't move while something saw me and I was Qaz. No blink, teleporting would have just meant more slimes, and you can't even throw or zap so I had to sit there and wait for every slime on the level to reach me. I had to drink like 5 heal potions.

edit: got 4 winds and an randart vamp broad axe in Elf, going to put on the broad axe and OCP and Warlock's Mirror. Not sure this is the best idea but I can swap vamp freely and I have another broad axe of elec....

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 17, 2019

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I've used polearms a lot and I think that finisher is better than a bardiche unless you get a good randart one, because speed brand is absurdly powerful, and on top of that you'll randomly crit and oneshot absolutely any enemy in the game including OOFs and panlords. Numerically finisher and a bardiche should have roughly the same damage output comparing to a vorpal brand, 14x1.5=21 for finishers effective damage and 18x1.166=21~ for the average vorpal result, and with the base damage as high as it is the extra 4 enchantment isn't likely to tilt things in the bardiche's favour much. Also handy is that the eviscerate bonus brand appears to transfer to spectral weapons giving you twice as many chances to blow things up instantaneously.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 17, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Einwand posted:

I've used polearms a lot and I think that finisher is better than a bardiche unless you get a good randart one, because speed brand is absurdly powerful, and on top of that you'll randomly crit and oneshot absolutely any enemy in the game including OOFs and panlords.

Yeah I used warlock's mirror + vamp broad axe for V5 and Zot but for Zot 5 vault there's something to be said for this:
pre:
_You throw a silver javelin.
_The silver javelin closely misses the orb of fire.
 You chop the orb of fire into pieces!!!
 You blow up the orb of fire!
 Trog accepts your kill.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
How do archaeologist chests work? I thought they were guaranteed unrands, but my last guy just got a shield of resistance.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The Shield of Resistance is an unrand with a turtle shell paperdoll tile, not to be confused with ordinary shields that happen to have the resistance brand.

learndb posted:

shield of resistance
Either the unrandart +5 (+2 in 0.15) shield that gives rF+, rC+ and MR+, or an ordinary shield (or buckler or large shield) with the resistance (rF+ rC+) brand.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

The Shield of Resistance is an unrand with a turtle shell paperdoll tile, not to be confused with ordinary shields that happen to have the resistance brand.

You're an unrand with a turtle shell paperdoll tile!

It's a great shield and you should use it. I could be wrong overall about shields. Bloax came into my game the other day and ranted about how shields are the best choice in Trunk right now with decent STR because of the skill budget. But Bloax also tends to take the first down stairs he sees on any level so take that with a grain of salt.

Also first Dj win on CKO:
pre:
araganzar the Phalangite (Djinni Archaeologist)    Turns: 94797, Time: 04:53:34

Health: 228/228    AC: 55    Str: 21    XL:     27
Magic:  0/0        EV: 15    Int: 16    God:    Trog [*****.]
Gold:   2438       SH:  0    Dex: 19    Spells: 26/26 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis .   S - +5 scythe "Finisher" {speed, eviscerate}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   x - +12 crystal plate armour of Daisies {MR+}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   H - -2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   T - +4 dragonskin cloak
rCorr    +         Harm     .   e - +0 pair of fencer's gloves {+Riposte Dex+3}
rMut     +         Clarity  +   (boots unavailable)
MR       +++++                  N - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
Stlth    ..........             I - ring of Robustness {AC+9}
HPRegen  0.48/turn              q - ring "Erink" {+Fly rElec rC++ MR+ Stlth+}
Djinni just seemed harder even with the same defenses and skills as other characters. I would take 35, 50, 80 pt hits in a turn way more often than I'm expecting. I would be fighting some deep trolls and then BAM all of a sudden I'm under half hits. I thought I would feel beefy having MP for HP and not using MP but it really didn't feel that way. Felt more like playing a human with rf+++ rn+++.

Fencer's gloves weren't all that great, I had crap EV but even on an EV character I can't see why they are just +0. I guess people made some abusive builds around riposte? I mean at +2 or +3 would they be more overpowered than Assassin Boots or Gauntlets of War?

Archaeologists unwon: Mf Dr Gh Hu Ko Se Te HE DE Og Vp Pr Na Fe Ba Mu Sk

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Araganzar posted:

Fencer's gloves weren't all that great, I had crap EV but even on an EV character I can't see why they are just +0. I guess people made some abusive builds around riposte? I mean at +2 or +3 would they be more overpowered than Assassin Boots or Gauntlets of War?

It could probably be made +2 without too much issue, honestly. Riposte can get crazy depending on your weapon type, but if you're in a situation where you can make good use of riposte while dealing with multiple enemies surrounding you, you don't need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Haifisch posted:

Ah, I see. Thanks!

That guy got splatted by Orcs and hubris. At least he opened his chest, unlike all the other poor archaeologists I've doomed.