Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is the person you recruit at BR 80 the last party member?

No, but the BR 80 person is the last one who has bonus dialogues and a parameter bonus.

It's not looking good for another update this week, I've got a lot of work to do, and the next update is another 30-ish minute battle I need to get screengrabs from and write captions for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Time for some action!

Let’s take this one on, as the second bonus boss I was always going to fight before heading to the final confrontation. We need to go to Nagapur.

- Video: Bonus Boss: The Fiery Gates

We saw this one during Jager’s quest which took us to Wyrmskeep. We got wrecked pretty hard then.

Music: Clash of Opposites

Extra Mission: Defeat the Fiery Gates!

The first group we’re up against are 4 boss unions of Homunculi-type enemies. They hit pretty hard, so being careful is a good idea.

That Bewitch did 37400 damage and put them into immediate critical health.

This is the end…

Ouch.

Judging by the start, this won’t be an easy fight, but I think it’s manageable.

Everywhere we go, slime like you is creepin’ around!

Rush and Jager will try to finish off their respective wounded unions, Emmy will try to keep her HP up, and Irina will attempt to revive the dead union.

Thank you very much, Torgal. That Self-Destruct would have been nasty.

I’ve… been negligent…

See Exhibit A. The maximum union HP is 9999, by the way, so that is way overkill. It’s also unfair that they can survive the Self-Destruct move.

Caedmon sends this union into critical, which means that they’ll probably try to self-destruct as well.

But fortunately Emmy finishes them off first.

Yay!

Nicely done!

This next turn shouldn’t take long.

A second wave, the same as the first appears.

Shields up, Keptin!

And we take no damage. Excellent.

Come on, let’s do this!

Gaou has reached the ultimate Lotions art, Cyclone Cream.

If your lotion produces beams of light from the heavens, you should probably check the expiry date.

This union gets knocked into critical as well.

Moonlight II is 100% more effective than Moonlight I.

23k+ damage for that critical Third Eye attack.

Glenys gets blocked.

You gonna stay down now?

Pagus saves his union from certain death.

They dodge Ghor’s blow and block Jager’s. So…

Revenge is swift, though.

I’d like to take care of my distressed units. Rush will revive Jager with Second Chance, Emmy will also go to revive the downed unit, Wyngale will heal himself and Irina’s union will attack with mystic arts.

Oh, looks like that totally hurt!

With everyone healthy, Rush’s union automatically reassesses to attack.

They were weak enough for Irina to finish them off with a regular attack. Although I guess they must be weak to physicals because normally Irina doesn’t do 4000+ damage with regular attacks.

Finally the main event has arrived, accompanied by four more unions of Remnant Guards.

Okay. Rush will Omnistrike, Jager will summon, but Irina won’t do the Dual Snowpetal.

Lob Omen, obey me!

The Fiery Gates is resistant, it seems, as a critical Omnistrike should do way more damage than that to most enemies.

Yep, it’s definitely tougher than normal.

Good!

I’m getting pretty lucky with these well-timed wards.

I’m already about to heal.

Paris knocks them into critical.

The weak should stay off the battlefield!

Time for some action!

Another union is knocked into critical.

And now that’s one fewer union to worry about.

Shards are pretty good.

Violet contributes with 23677 x2 = 47354 damage.

It’s not all good news, though.

I… still… laugh…
This isn’t over!

The Fiery Gates finally joins the fray.

Irina will resurrect Wyngale’s union instead of using Dual Snowpetal.

The Fiery Gates is not much of a threat, really. It’s not just the Summons damage resistance, either.

It does the same damage to Rush’s group too.

Mixed Message is basically just high-level Bluff, which is losing some if its effectiveness by now.

That was all Jager. Just one more guard union left.

… I think I’m going to play the rest of the fight at double speed.

Good!

This concludes the interesting portion of the fight. The rest is just chipping away at the boss’s HP while it launches tickle-bombs at us.

Violet did more damage than Rush’s Omnistrike, so you can just imagine how much damage she does to enemies which aren’t resistant. Oh wait, you don’t have to, I show that off often. Anyway, I turn turbo on for the next turn because even I want this fight over faster.

Oh wow an actually powerful attack.

That’s a strong one!

Finally it’s into critical.

Hahaha! Caught you flat-footed!

learned Confuse V!
learned Refresh II!
learned Protection!
learned Sunflare III!
learned Mighty Dragon Crush III!
learned Nimble Dragon Crush III!
learned Mighty Switchback II!

The boss drops some very nice top-quality crafting items party members want. The only other reliable source for these is the bonus dungeon.

Okay, we’re done. Time to do main plot stuff again, finally.

New Arts Summary
learned Confuse V!
learned Refresh II!
learned Protection!
learned Sunflare III!
learned Mighty Dragon Crush III!
learned Nimble Dragon Crush III!

Bonus Boss: The Fiery Gates

Next Time: Why… why do you walk down such a different path?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Man, makes me feel good I didn't fight most of these guys.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That was a dire disappointment.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Kind of sad that the boss himself can't seem to do much of anything.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Given how weirdly detailed this game seems to be pretty much everywhere, I'm sure there's a perfectly fine explanation of exactly how Cyclone Cream summons giant satellite lasers.

So, uh, what is it?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
"They can survive the self-destruct"? What the heck game

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

wdarkk posted:

Kind of sad that the boss himself can't seem to do much of anything.

The Wiki thinks it's a BR 94-96 monster, and it does have 548-560k HP, but yeah, it doesn't seem to have any good attacks other than Grenade Impact and Bewitch, and it only used one of those once this fight. Two more of the bonus bosses are also pretty easy if I recall, but the remaining ones are huge pains in the rear end (and there's also the bonus dungeon).

Sorry for no update last week. In addition to work, there was a family thing happening which meant I had much less free time, and of course the holiday didn't help with that.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 31, 2016

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The boss is easy as long as you keep all your unions alive, Pandemonium III revives and enthralls all dead unions and that can ruin your day very fast.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Why… why do you walk down such a different path?

Music: A Friendly Ear

Go for it!
Alright. Just know it’s not my thing.

It sure isn’t. Which is why I’m disabling them as soon as I realize I have them on. Looks like our BR went up, which is why Kate is asking about this.

Reward: 50000 G
Obtained Blizzard! You’ve learned a new formation!

50,000 G for beating the Fiery Gates is not a bad deal.

We’ve been all around and still haven’t found the Sacred Lands. Marina suggested we ask Oswald Hermeien. Well, we last saw him in the Nagapur tavern.

Really? Sweet!
Travel northeast of Nagapur to the Sixth Path of Siebenbur. What you desire may be found at the end of the road.
How do you know that?
… Rush, Irina, I think of you as my own grandchildren. Please, return safely.

Let’s do this.

Music: Labyrinth

We were here once before to get an item for Khrynia.

Today, we’re going deeper.

It’s a straight shot.

Over and over again, we’ve seen this center room from above. It has entrances from all sorts of different paths. But now finally we are on the lower level.

- Video: Rare Monster Gojun

And there is a “speedbump” boss here. It shows up after Oswald tells you where to go. It’s basically here to not waste your time by making sure that you’re strong enough to face the real challenges ahead.

Music: Beat the Odds

It’s a Dragon. We’ve seen then enough by now to know how they work. I’ve fought Eldritch Dragons. You sirrah, are no Eldritch Dragon.

I… still… laugh…

Still annoying, though.

I know size isn’t everything, but…
They may be troublesome.

I had Rush hang back from the first round so I could Rear Assault on the second.

Hmm hmm!

Nice try, dragon.

Come on, we’ve caught ‘em with their pants down!

Music: Clash of Opposites

Get ready for the best move you will ever see!

Dragon Crush II versus Dragon?

34.5 K damage is pretty good.

Okay I’d like to just run over this speedbump now, please.

Emmy sends it into critical.

Ooh, boy…

Say goodnight.

learned Dragon Crush II!
learned Zeal’s Virtue!

I think I’ve mentioned Zeal’s Virtue before. It’s the weapon art for the Obsidian Giant Sword. It requires the enemy to outnumber you, so it’s hard to get your morale up high enough and not be in deadlock to get it to trigger.

Music: Labyrinth

With the dragon dead, we can now proceed to part 2 of the final dungeon. Before Oswald told us where to go, this door was sealed.

The Seventh Path is only accessible through that door in the Sixth Path. It’s fairly straightforward, if a bit winding. That bit at the end looks interesting, though.

I might have mentioned at some point that some party members request Inverted Terrapest Barbs. Those ONLY drop from Terrapests found on the Sixth and Seventh paths. Nowhere else.

Of course, Glenys can’t actually upgrade that weapon until I return to town. So at some point I’ll have to leave the dungeon and go back. Sigh.

This place also is infested with Harpylia. They have the nasty ability to paralyze you on the field, meaning you can neither move, nor initiate battle, meaning that if you get caught, you get ambushed. They also aggressively follow you if they see you to ensure this. It’s better to use timeshift ahead of time and fight them, since you’ll probably end up fighting them anyway.

This item can be turned in to complete a guild task. The chest just has the Satchel formation.

learned Rejuvenate III!

You can theoretically run around them without resorting to timeshift, although it is risky.

The world map teleporter. We’re almost to the end.

More terrapests? More barbs, please! (I get one and Allan claims it.) I hit BR 66 about here.

learned Bluff III!

- Video: Wagram’s Last Stand

Beyond this door should be the way to the Sacred Lands. The rest of the update can be viewed on the video.

What’s that?

This looks really familiar.

It’s a Remnant! One that can take us to the Sacred Lands!

Convenient!

Ha ha!

Awesome, huh Dave?
Hmm. Then let’s get ready to leave.
I believe you were warned about this.

Music: Slipping Through your Fingers

Continued association with the Conqueror would be harmful to your health.
Wagram!
You still have a chance to escape with your lives. Get out of here.

And if I refuse?

As you wish.

I shall wipe your very existence from this earth!

The binding oaths of magick old
Summon your being and your soul
From whitest heavens you shall soar

To darkest earth your home no more!

COME FORTH!!

Mission: Defeat the Icy Idol!

Music: The Gates of Hell

:clint: It’s on.

We’re up against the Icy Idol and 5 unions of Glagonos’s. Could be moderately challenging. As is usual, I’ll be going after the minions first and leaving the boss alone.

Looks like they have roughly 26,000 HP, but they might be resistant as well.

Quit dragging us down!

That’s the first one down.

And another one.

Bring it!

Pagus using Orphic Ward earlier was a great call.

Everywhere we go, slime like you are creepin’ around!
I am Lord Paris of Balterossa!

Don’t let a punk like that take you out!

The damage isn’t much, but this also completely tanks our morale.

Ha ha ha! How’s that?

Emmy’s Acala’s Wrath puts the union into critical, but doesn’t finish them.

Like no way! I missed?!

Check this out!

We’ve been in better shape. This could be a problem, but I saved before the cutscene and Irina is ready to use Rejuvenating Water, so let’s push our chips forward and hope she goes first.

Oh-ho!

Looks like that worked out.

Just the Idol left now.

Like the others, it has its own elemental Insignia attack.

Honestly I was expecting something more painful.

Okay, let’s get rid of this guy quickly. Everyone will do a full attack except for Jager, who will cure Wyngale’s curse.

Don’t underestimate them!

Surprisingly, this guy seems weak to mystic arts.

I’ll show you what I can do!
That’s a strong one!

A strong one, huh?

Yes, Glenys. You said that already.

I think I dropped off for a bit.

Yeah! This is our big chance!

Oho!

learned Bewitch II!
learned Orphic Ward III!

As always, some rare, one-off components drop from certain story bosses.

Why… why do you walk down such a different path?

Why don’t you journey together?!

Heh heh heh…

Fine… do as you like.

You are… after all…

Uhhh…

GEE I HOPE WHAT HE WANTED TO SAY WASN’T IMPORTANT

That’s all for now. Next time, we return to the Sacred Lands.

New Arts Summary
learned Dragon Crush II!
learned Zeal’s Virtue!
learned Rejuvenate III!
learned Bluff III!
learned:
  • Flash Bomb!
  • Bewitch II!
learned Orphic Ward III!

Wagram’s Last Stand
Wagram’s Last Stand

Next Time: Rush, are you ready?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 13, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You're what
what
seriously what

Im itching for answers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

He was about to say that we were the protagonist, but we already know that so it's cool.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

That red ring was a weird way to die... but really, I think the answer to Wagram's question is 'because no one has explained what the gently caress the Conqueror is trying to do except beat up cool old ladies and steal giant swords'

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It's weird we never have a direct boss battle against Wagram.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NO PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE! WHY DID YOU LET HIM SUMMON SOME CHUMP MONSTER! DAMMIT RUSH!

Also hey someone died by doing the sparkly disintegration even though we were in a cutscene. What's up with that?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Junkozeyne posted:

The boss is easy as long as you keep all your unions alive, Pandemonium III revives and enthralls all dead unions and that can ruin your day very fast.

Unfortunately I wasn't sucky enough to die in either of the battles. I've never seen that happen in fact. I'd probably have to be trying or badly underleveled.

Onmi posted:

It's weird we never have a direct boss battle against Wagram.

I guess because he's not a physical fighter. Look at the robes he's in. It also appears like while he didn't fight us himself, those idols he summoned using the lost art of Magick did cost him. He put everything he had into that last boss battle and after we killed it, he died. That red ring thing was similar to the blue ring Wagram uses to teleport around. It seemed to have something to do with him.

SSNeoman posted:

NO PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE! WHY DID YOU LET HIM SUMMON SOME CHUMP MONSTER! DAMMIT RUSH!

Also hey someone died by doing the sparkly disintegration even though we were in a cutscene. What's up with that?

A bit odd, but it's pretty consistent with that. Sparkly disintegrating happens when we kill enemies. We've seen that all throughout the game for both human and monster enemies.

The next update will probably be a bit faster in coming (work permitting) since it's fairly simple. I'll need to go record some new content soon, though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A bit odd, but it's pretty consistent with that. Sparkly disintegrating happens when we kill enemies. We've seen that all throughout the game for both human and monster enemies.

The next update will probably be a bit faster in coming (work permitting) since it's fairly simple. I'll need to go record some new content soon, though.

Maybe that just happens whenever someone Rush doesn't like dies. Maybe he's a remnant that handles cremation.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

wdarkk posted:

Maybe that just happens whenever someone Rush doesn't like dies. Maybe he's a remnant that handles cremation.

I think someone would react if it was unusual. It's just another strange quirk that doesn't get explained.

What will get explained though is how many updates are left: I've looked at all I have left to do in terms of bonus bosses, and there will be just 10 more updates. We'll finish up in the low hundreds. That doesn't mean that they'll all be done fast, some of the bonus bosses are super-difficult and I don't know if I can actually beat them. A bunch of off-screen grinding might be required. But the end is in sight.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I kind of feel sorry for Wagram. The Conqueror's got his hooks into him so bad he can't understand why anybody would want to oppose him.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rush, are you ready?

- Dungeon Video: The Sacred Lands

Go for it, sis!

Go ahead and watch the dungeon video. It’s not long and I’ve cut out both of the rare monster fights into separate videos.

Well, we’re back here again. It’s been 75 updates, but we’re back. And no, we can’t leave the way we just came in.

Music: One Step

This is a remix of Arcane Mysteries, the music which played here last time. You should really listen to it.

This looks pretty familiar. There’s no automap, not that one would be meaningful in here anyway.

This is a Remnant of a type we haven’t seen yet.

Turns out that it’s just a teleporter.

It wouldn’t be a final dungeon without enemies, though, so we’ll be seeing a bunch of these.

Seeing – not fighting.

That little chest there at the far left is easy to miss.

This is a high-level Katana which is on Khrynia’s request chain. Alas, she can’t actually get it until we leave the dungeon.

Moving on.

That rare Spiritlord Stymphalian Bird is blocking the way to the platform shifter. There’s a guild task for Ring of the Labyrinth to kill this guy.

- Video: Rare Monster Stymphalian Bird

Shall we attack?

NO. I send Emmy to go defend versus the inevitable first-turn-Curse.

I know size isn’t everything, but…
It looks pretty strong!

Beautifully done!
Looks like that hurt!

You’ll be all right now!
I’m in your debt.

The wiki notes that this enemy likes to use Bewitch on Turn 2. I don’t think I’ve seen it land on one of my unions in this LP.

Most monsters at this BR have powerful attacks.

Note the little “puppet string” attached to the Enthralled union. Irina will be trying to kill them to clear the Enthrall, and Emmy and Jager will try to lower the bird’s morale.

Exhilarating!

Player-controlled unions can deal out a hell of a lot more damage than they can take in return, which is why Enthrall is so nasty – your own unions can one-shot each other.

Deliberately killing your own unions always succeeds even if the damage numbers aren’t actually high enough.

Meh.

Time for you to go away.

Protection from Mystics and draining the bird’s AP so it can’t even cast? Doubly helpful.

This should be interesting…

Are you all right?

The damage from Cachexia was resisted, but the AP drain was not. Good to know.

And… the crushing blow!

learned Protection II!

If you capture it, The Stymphalian Bird can be used as an ingredient in crafting an Imperator’s Hammer, but you can buy one in Undelwalt for a much cheaper price than it costs to craft anyway. This one can respawn.

There’s more dungeon ahead, though.

With the pathway rearranged, we can move on.

To the right you can see some of the pillars cracking and falling apart.

Up ahead is the rare Oculus Monopole.

- Video: Rare Monster Monopole

More pillars can be seen falling apart in the background during the battle. Pretty neat.

Come on, let’s kick some A!

Heh. This should be FUN!

X-Ray vision seems to be its main move, if not its only move.

Don’t underestimate your foes!

Let’s slam ‘em from the side!

I’ll stop you no matter the cost!

That was about 90,000 damage just from the critical Rift Cleaver alone.

Good night!

learned Kiss of Life V!

This must be my lucky day!

Still not coming off the bench, sorry.

The way forward is to the right, but I’ll snag that chest first.

More high-level crafting stuff which I can’t use without going back to a workshop in town.

I see the next teleporter, but I’ll have to weave around to the left first.

That’s never a good sign.

We’re probably getting close to the end now.

No monsters for the last couple of sections.

Well, here we are. Beyond that door lies the final boss of the game. There’s no turning back once we open it.

But there are still bonus bosses to fight as well as the bonus dungeon, so let’s use this transporter, which takes us back to the world map.

New Arts Summary
learned Protection II!
learned Kiss of Life V!

Dungeon Video: The Sacred Lands
Video: Rare Monster Stymphalian Bird
Video: Rare Monster Monopole

Next Time: ...All my bonds have been released...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That's a surprisingly painless final dungeon. I'd expect worse from a SaGa game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And you have a teleport to the end.
I was expecting worse as well.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ha, Symphonia made you do two block puzzles to activate the teleporter to the last boss room.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I imagine the final boss can be completely ridiculous all on its own (or, more likely, with an arbitrary number of times through the alphabet for support unions) so they figured they'd lull you into a false sense of security.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

That's a surprisingly painless final dungeon. I'd expect worse from a SaGa game.

The pain starts after entering the door. Hope you don't have any plans for oh, the next 40 minutes!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And you have a teleport to the end.
I was expecting worse as well.

It's a teleport out of the dungeon. I'll have to re-run the Sixth, Seventh, and Sacred Lands again to get back here. Not a huge deal, but the Harpylia on the Seventh Path pretty much have to be fought along the way, otherwise they'll paralyze me and force a fight anyway.

Glazius posted:

I imagine the final boss can be completely ridiculous all on its own (or, more likely, with an arbitrary number of times through the alphabet for support unions) so they figured they'd lull you into a false sense of security.

Nope, there are just three enemies in the final boss fight. It's still incredibly difficult.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

...All my bonds have been released...

Music: The Known World

The teleporter dumps us back onto the world map. Today I’ll be cleaning up a couple housekeeping things.

Okay…
Wow. You’re so attentive to my needs. Do you like me or something?

Ought I learn Traps? Or continue my current studies? What do you think, Rush?
Try something new!
Alright. I shall do my best to master this new field.

Was thinking of learning Explosives! Whadda you think?
Yeah, I’d go for it!
Alright. With some more arts under my belt I’d be sick on the battlefield.

learned Stun Trap!
learned Flash Bomb!

I’m turning those arts off. Okay, now about those bonus bosse-

Rush, I have need of a Large Colossus Bristle. Have we the time to obtain one?
Sure, no prob.
Thank you. Then, let’s not waste any time.

Heya, Rush! You look bored. Let’s go find some Anthrovore Trunk!
Okay!
Great! Then let’s get going!

Rush, I have need of a Bristly Dragon Mane. Is there time to obtain one?
Yeah, let’s go.
Excellent.

Hey, greenhorn. You ever heard of Oarfish fin? I bet you would if you came with me to find some.
Okay, sure.
Then come on.

Hey. If you’ve time to be standing around, why don’t we go get me some Anthrovore Trunk?
Alrighty!
Appreciate it. C’mon, let’s go.

Rush, I’d really like a Vile Lizard Mane. Do you think we have time to pick one up?
Sure, no prob.
Really? Thanks so much!

There’s something I need, young one – Jewel Steel. Come with me to find it.
Okay, sure.
Good. Let’s head out.

:negative:

Oh, right. This. I guess I should do that if I’m going to be fighting tough bosses. I also forget how long it’s been since I upgraded Rush’s weapons, so I’ll max those out too.

I finished off enough Weredragons recently to complete this task. The Eye of Promise is required to unlock one of the bonus bosses.

Different customization levels let you craft and improve better quality equipment. It carries over in NG+ so I started with it unlocked, but if I didn’t, this is how to get it.

For dispatching the Fiery Gates a couple updates ago, I get 50,000 G and the Blizzard formation from the Sword of Three Realms guild.

Yeah, let’s go.
You have my gratitude. Let’s be off.

Say, Rush, I’m getting antsy… What say we pick up some battles, hmm?
Sounds like a plan.
That’s what I like to hear. C’mon!

Rush, do we have time to do some fighting? I don’t want to get rusty.
Sure, no prob.
Thank you. Then, shall we be off?

Yes. I’ve got one spot in mind.

As you may remember, Wyngale has a grudge against the Imperator – Wagram – for forcing him to be the guardian of the Brimslaubus. He wants Wagram dead. Well, he is now. If you go back to see him…

Good of the game to acknowledge that little bit.

class changed to Adept Bishop!

With my party members now equipping new stuff after leaving the Sacred Lands and returning to a town, I’m turning right around and going back up to before the final boss door to create a save there to use before facing the boss at this power level instead of after I go kill a bunch more bonus bosses. … Just one problem. I forgot to go upgrade the rest of my party’s gear and Rush’s too, so I should do that again and THEN make the save.

When going to fight the final boss after your first trip to the door (i.e. after the roadblock rare dragon and Wagram are dead), one tip is to turn off all your Item Arts so you don’t waste them on trash battles. It doesn’t hurt to have a full stockpile before facing the final boss.

class changed to Legendary Ataraxian!
learned Spark V!

Excellent, that was pretty fast. Now I can teach Wyngale Blackout! Bloodhorn is the target of another Guild Task for Sword of Three Realms.

- Video: Wyngale’s Blackout

Nice damage output on that.

learned Poison Gas IV!
learned Blackout!

- Video: Monopole (Again)

On the way back up to the door, I fought Monopole again because I couldn’t remember if I fought him the first time.

Here’s something to remember me by!

learned Slice & Dice III!
learned Protection II!

I reach BR 67.

I once again save before the boss door, then leave.

The next bonus boss I want to fight requires me to first unlock Union of the Golden Chalice Rank 5. I’m currently Rank 2. Guild promotion is not based on doing X number of tasks, but on completing one specific task. Like all guild tasks, you don’t know what completing each task will give you, so this is another part which is helpful with a guide.

In this case, fighting the rare monster Ore Crusher in Numor Mines is what needs to be done.

I put Khrynia in the lead so she can deliver more classic Khrynia lines, and Violet in charge of Emmy’s old union so she can get the chance to learn Rejuvenating Water, because why not.

Here is where Ore Cruncher can be found in the Great Tunnel. It spawns here if there is no Feralwood beyond the Dagon-type Ameobas

Like, let’s get ready to rumble!

We’re well overlevelled for it, so this isn’t a challenge.

We’ve like, got the power and stuff!

Obtained Anchor of Celapaleis! You’ve learned a new formation!

Done. To get promoted to rank 4, I need to kill Death Tank in Nagapur’s Aqueducts.

Here’s where Deathtank is. It spawns if there are no Wailing Larva.

Done. For our efforts we get rank 4 in the guild and a subscription to Fenris Weekly, which increases monster drops. But I already have all the magazines from my previous playthrough.

The promotion to rank 5 (the highest rank, thankfully), is tougher. It requires is to kill some Brynhildrs. That’s a pain, because there are only two places to get them. One is on Mt. Vackel, and the other is very deep in the bonus dungeon. Going through the bonus dungeon will be a bigger pain than Mt. Vackel.

There are two possible spawn spots. The closest one is the alcove on Pearly Peak where Loki got his flowers for Reya. In fact, it’s best to do this DURING that quest because you start out up there and can check the spots, then quit the quest. I didn’t know that, so I have to walk all the way up.

It’s an infrequent spawn so you may need to do this several times.

learned Protection III!
learned Nimble Focus Strike IV!
learned Schiavona!

Finally, Jager learned Schiavona, his final unique art. It requires the Remnant of the same name.

Come on! Come on!! COME ON!!!

And here’s number two. Not pictured: The ~15 minutes I spent failing to get it to spawn. Pictured : Wyngale expressing my feelings after 10 minutes.

It can be a nuisance with stuff like this and Grenade Impact V.

A strong one, huh?

Crush them with the Schiavona!

Good plan.

- Video: Weapon Art Schiavona

Nice. It’s great to have learned some extra stuff like this before taking on the final boss.

learned Mighty Thunderclap III!
learned Moonshadow!
learned Maledict III!
learned Nimble Knee Splitter III!

Obtained Albic Qsiti Weekly!

Guild tasks are a bit odd at times. You can complete tasks you can’t even see due to low rank, but you can’t actually turn them in until you reach the required rank.

Obtained Dragon Weekly!

In this case, Heavens Lord, which we had to kill to exit Mt. Vackel and go to Undelwalt is the quest which we actually needed to turn in to unlock the bonus boss.

We’ll be doing task 69 as the bonus boss for this update. Task 70 is the one which was unlocked from turning in the “Kill 20 Weredragons” quest from earlier.

I haven’t been keeping up with upgrading Rush’s equipment, so I decide to max him out.

It costs me almost 1.2 million G. This update is getting pretty long and I don’t see a good reason to stretch this update to 120+ images, so the bonus boss will have to wait until next time.

New Arts Summary
learned:
  • Stun Trap!
  • Protection II!
learned:
  • Flash Bomb!
  • Schiavona!
class changed to Adept Bishop!
class changed to Legendary Ataraxian!
learned Nimble Focus Strike IV!
learned:
  • Spark V!
  • Blackout!
  • Maledict III!
learned:
  • Poison Gas IV!
  • Protection III!
learned Slice & Dice III!
learned Mighty Thunderclap III!
learned Moonshadow!
learned Nimble Knee Splitter III!

Video: Wyngale’s Blackout
Video: Monopole (Again)
Video: Weapon Art Schiavona

Next Time: Ohhh, looks like that totally hurt!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Schiavona is terribly unimpressive.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Guild promotion is not based on doing X number of tasks, but on completing one specific task. Like all guild tasks, you don’t know what completing each task will give you, so this is another part which is helpful with a guide.

Why?? They couldn't take a page from Arc The Lad III and tie your guild rank to the number of stars you earned through completed guild missions?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Schiavona is terribly unimpressive.

It's just three stabs, so it's not flashy, but 70,000 damage with only "high union morale" as a restriction is nothing to sneeze at. It's much more than Hundred Flowers does, and that one can only trigger at critical health. I should also get around to showing off Pagus's Megalore WA at some point too.

SSNeoman posted:

Why?? They couldn't take a page from Arc The Lad III and tie your guild rank to the number of stars you earned through completed guild missions?

Yeah, this is pretty dumb. The only bright spot is that it means you can ignore those guild missions on NG+ unless there's something you really want (not likely).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Inexplicable design choices are the defining trait of saga games.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
We're getting to the point where all the pictures on this page are taking out my mobile, so post for the post god.

By the time the Conqueror meets Rush and crew again, Rush is going to be absolutely covered in economy-devastatingly expensive armor, and wipe the match.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

EagerSleeper posted:

We're getting to the point where all the pictures on this page are taking out my mobile, so post for the post god.

Yes, please. There will be another update this week, it's already written and encoded. :justpost:

quote:

By the time the Conqueror meets Rush and crew again, Rush is going to be absolutely covered in economy-devastatingly expensive armor, and wipe the match.

I've decided to try and upgrading more of my units equipment in the bonus dungeon before making my pre-bonus-boss-levelling save. That's the save I'll be using to take on the final boss, instead of the later one needed to take on more of the bonus bosses, but the designers were kinda clever in their design to make sure that doesn't happen.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I remember the Conqueror scaling to a degree much like every other enemy in the game, so I wouldn't worry too much on the last fight being anti-climactic. When I was doing my "all Unique Leaders" cheat run he still gave me trouble.

And, while I never did it, I believe if you kill one of the secret bosses, the Conqueror gains another power boost.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I've been enjoying reading this even if I haven't been posting, so here's to a new page.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Smart Car posted:

I've been enjoying reading this even if I haven't been posting, so here's to a new page.

Same.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

This guild task bull makes me not want to go back to this game

But the battle clips make me change my mind

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm helping too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

booksnake posted:

This guild task bull makes me not want to go back to this game

But the battle clips make me change my mind

The guild is entirely inconsequential, I never bothered with it beyond incidentals.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

The guild is entirely inconsequential, I never bothered with it beyond incidentals.

Pretty much. The bad news about the guild is that if you want to upgrade your party members equipment, you need to get special drops from monsters. Those drops require you to get magazines, and those are obtained from doing specific guild tasks. The good news is that magazines carry over to NG+ so you only really need to do that once. Believe me when I say that it has saved an utterly amazing amount of time for me to be able to ignore doing guild tasks to unlock magazines so I can get drops to upgrade gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Pretty much. The bad news about the guild is that if you want to upgrade your party members equipment, you need to get special drops from monsters. Those drops require you to get magazines, and those are obtained from doing specific guild tasks. The good news is that magazines carry over to NG+ so you only really need to do that once. Believe me when I say that it has saved an utterly amazing amount of time for me to be able to ignore doing guild tasks to unlock magazines so I can get drops to upgrade gear.

And why the save file is available in the OP. Back when I considered picking this up for a song (because steam sale) I had a thought of doing everything myself first just to see how it is.

I uh, am rather glad I only had a single thought about it.

• Locked thread