Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The forsworn have occupied Skyhaven Temple for how many years? And they've NEVER managed to bypass the sophisticated and intellectually taxing old "puzzles" to get to the face door point. They've even got the technological skill to build simple wooden platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

The Forsworn are the most disappointing aspect of Skyrim imo. The Reachmen had such potential as an interesting counterpoint to the Skyrim is For the Nords thing the Stormcloaks have going on, and there's still some background lore exploration of that with the Bear of Markarth thing, but... they're just reskinned bandits. Even the questline where you can side with them has next to no wider implications, it turns all of one camp non-hostile. Such a letdown.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
In general, having to wipe out a bunch of people off the map could use some mild building-up, first. Perhaps give the player some reasons to do so.

But in the end, it's a videogame and they wanted an animistic bandit reskin for variation, and I'm happy to stealth-archer them all.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's like all Elder Scrolls lore: More interesting off screen.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Perhaps it is a blessing (?) that I don't really care about Skyrim's lore, beyond what I can glean from quests and dialogue etc.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Like how the silverhand in game are just a bunch of bandits, happily murdering anyone they come across, who hide out in ruins and caves torturing people, while they (probably) should be a splinter group of companions who rejected Hircine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But then people would ask questions like why can't I join them, why can't I reason with them, why am I forced to align with the companions, and that would make the players very unhappy, so it's better to make anybody who isn't a member of a predetermined player faction into an unthinking goblin

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

steinrokkan posted:

But then people would ask questions like why can't I join them, why can't I reason with them, why am I forced to align with the companions, and that would make the players very unhappy, so it's better to make anybody who isn't a member of a predetermined player faction into an unthinking goblin
A fork in the Companions questline where you choose to join the Silver Hand instead of becoming a werewolf could be neat. You could even have that branch still lead to the "everyone gets cured" ending because really, what better way to eliminate the werewolves than to cure all of them?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

For some unknown reason I woke up today and had the thought that I should try Daggerfall. After downloading Daggerfall Unity and installing some mods I’ve played for a couple of hours and I kind of like it. The mix of 90’s corridor shooter and giant open world RPG scratches some weirdly specific itch.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ethiser posted:

For some unknown reason I woke up today and had the thought that I should try Daggerfall. After downloading Daggerfall Unity and installing some mods I’ve played for a couple of hours and I kind of like it. The mix of 90’s corridor shooter and giant open world RPG scratches some weirdly specific itch.

Did you enable small dungeons in the launcher? I'd strongly recommend it if you haven't - "small dungeons" means about equal to privateer's hold, the intro dungeon, whereas the original game had mega dungeons that ground my play throughs to a halt.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Did you enable small dungeons in the launcher? I'd strongly recommend it if you haven't - "small dungeons" means about equal to privateer's hold, the intro dungeon, whereas the original game had mega dungeons that ground my play throughs to a halt.

Mega, randomly generated dungeons, which are not actually guaranteed to have a traversible path to whatever the objective is without things like "now, go up through that hole in the ceiling that you can't reach even with the climbing skill, levitation or nothing"

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Zereth posted:

Mega, randomly generated dungeons, which are not actually guaranteed to have a traversible path to whatever the objective is without things like "now, go up through that hole in the ceiling that you can't reach even with the climbing skill, levitation or nothing"

I can't believe how far the reach of the Telvanni was in the 3rd era.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Of course I did, I’m not that crazy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Even with smaller dungeons enabled I'll still console command my way to the quest item after an hour or so, and I say that as a person who finds the 3d map intuitive and easy to use.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I liked the big labyrinth vibe of the full size dungeons when I played.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yeah, but like maybe once or twice

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Will the new Lordbound mid be available on console?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Will the new Lordbound mid be available on console?

Without even looking past the first Google synopsis, maybe Xbox, absolutely not ps5 (because of the restrictions Sony put on mods for their consoles.)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Agents are GO! posted:

Without even looking past the first Google synopsis, maybe Xbox, absolutely not ps5 (because of the restrictions Sony put on mods for their consoles.)

gently caress :smith:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The good news is that a potato pc can pretty much run Skyrim these days.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
The bad news is my laptop is completely shot and I can't afford a new one for a while.

Oh well. Not like Skyrim is going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The bad news is my laptop is completely shot and I can't afford a new one for a while.

Oh well. Not like Skyrim is going anywhere.

It’s also gonna be awhile before the mod comes out.