Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way to change the sim rate without a numpad? It looks like numpad +/- are the only controls to change the rim rate (while holding r I guess?) and I don't see any way to rebind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

salt shakeup posted:

Sorry to derail but I can't find this on gamepass? I wouldn't mind playing another flight sim/casual game that doesn't set my PC on fire.

I think the "it" that was on Gamepass was MSFS, not IL-2. I had the same thought, but couldn't find it either.

I'll definitely be checking out IL-2 next sale though.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bold Robot posted:

Is there any way to change the sim rate without a numpad? It looks like numpad +/- are the only controls to change the rim rate (while holding r I guess?) and I don't see any way to rebind them.

Make sure on the control setup screen you have "ALL" selected instead of just "ASSIGNED"

There's options to set the sim rate buttons. I have them set to my joystick base buttons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

karma_coma posted:

Any better?

Actually, yeah. My floor is now in the high 40s and runs in the 50s @ 1440p with everything high. It used to dip to the low 30s around airports or anywhere dense. The limiting factor on my PC is now the 1080 for graphics. I should do a little more tweaking to see if I can hit 60+ (maybe do that glass fix being discussed) but right now it runs well enough for me. I've already budgeted for the 3000 series getting announced next week so I'm not particularly worried of getting much better right now.

Anyone got that handy PDF printout of the controls?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Romes128 posted:

Make sure on the control setup screen you have "ALL" selected instead of just "ASSIGNED"

There's options to set the sim rate buttons. I have them set to my joystick base buttons.

Thanks, that did it.

How is there not an on-screen display of the sim rate? :thunk:

e: also lol that the stopwatch in the nav window for VOR doesn't speed up if you increase the sim rate.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SuperTeeJay posted:

Am I right in thinking the Gladiator MkII is the best AIO? I'm using the Logitech 3D and wouldn't mind an upgrade but the Thrustmaster HOTAS is both out of stock and quite a large setup.

I have one as a backup stick (because my nicer poo poo is mounted to a cockpit w/o a monitor and this game doesn't have VR yet :argh: ) and it's very nice. loving miles better than, say, the HOTAS-X, and I prefer its feel to my old CH Fighterstick, too. Doesn't have a lot of buttons or hat switches, but it has enough for the main stuff, like mixture, flaps, etc. and using the hat switch to look around, if you don't have a head tracking setup.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Mailer posted:

That's kind of why I haven't touched OnAir. That sort of gamification is enough for me to hook it straight into my veins but getting kicked in the face for a million minor infractions that don't affect anything would be infuriating. Doubly so if it meant my run wasn't profitable or I couldn't afford a shiny new thing.

You can turn those penalties off and they don't really have much of an impact anyway.

You can also boost your rewards if you want to skip the grind.

It's free to try, might as well give it a go. It's great once you work out the quirks.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Wow, I decided to finally try OpenTrack + HeadTracker and I'm really impressed.

If you have an iPhone that has FaceID capabilities, you really should give it a shot. I think it'd give my TrackIR a run for the money, especially since it's only $1.99 if you already have a capable iPhone.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hey so if you wanna see an example of why I have said a couple of times that the reddit flightsim "butter" landings are over-rated, here is a video of a guy who touches down nice and smooth and does an absolutely horrific job of everything else involved in landing a plane.

(sorry about the racist title)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M5tZx113J8

- way too fast on final
- unstabilized approach
- not aligned with runway
- lands off the centerline while drifting
- never applies crosswind corrections
- doesn't go around at any stage

If he'd smashed the mains into the ground dead on centerline with a proper crosswind correction applied, he would have gotten a big checkmark from every flight instructor out there. It also shows how a bad approach (he's way too fast from the very beginning of the video, which is why he floats so far and eventually tries to force it down) cascades down and ruins everything else.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 28, 2020

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Carth Dookie posted:

You can turn those penalties off and they don't really have much of an impact anyway.

You can also boost your rewards if you want to skip the grind.

It's free to try, might as well give it a go. It's great once you work out the quirks.

There's not even that much of a grind since you can start by renting a c208 and immediately doing jobs that pay well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sagebrush posted:

Hey so if you wanna see an example of why I have said a couple of times that the reddit flightsim "butter" landings are over-rated, here is a video of a guy who touches down nice and smooth and does an absolutely horrific job of everything else involved in landing a plane.

- way too fast on final
- unstabilized approach

If he'd smashed the mains into the ground dead on centerline with a proper crosswind correction applied, he would have gotten a big checkmark from every flight instructor out there. It also shows how a bad approach (he's way too fast from the very beginning of the video, which is why he floats so far and eventually tries to force it down) cascades down and ruins everything else.

Did this guy land at 100 kts

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Ouch, you can see how badly wounded their pride is when they turn around and grab the camera.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

JayKay posted:

Wow, I decided to finally try OpenTrack + HeadTracker and I'm really impressed.

If you have an iPhone that has FaceID capabilities, you really should give it a shot. I think it'd give my TrackIR a run for the money, especially since it's only $1.99 if you already have a capable iPhone.

What are you using to prop your phone up btw?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The way the game renders waters effects over winding rivers is.... not great, sometimes.

It's literally just drawing the water in a straight line over what looks like a flat satellite texture. The sierra nevada bush trip in general highlights some pretty gnarly terrain issues. Like, wide swathes of semi-arid land that has shrubs painted onto the grainy ground textures, polkadot style, but without adding actual shrubs.

But then other times I fly over scenery like this in the middle of nowhere, europe, and I'm reminded that this game is really good, actually.

Anyway, anyone notice how in the pilot rating menu or whatever it's called, it's suggesting there's 6 bush trips to complete? I only see three in the menu. Are there more you can unlock or something? Or should we take that as a hint that they plan on adding more in the near future?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, I figured that bush trip was supposed to be a showcase of how you can just describe ground features and use them for a VFR flight, but a lot of what was going on on the ground was confusing as hell. Making that right turn over the lake and heading for the next river left me confused as to where the river even was in that jumbled mess on the shore.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
yeah the scenery still looks orders of magnitude better than OrbX scenery in P3D but the OrbX stuff is sometimes way easier to navigate visually, especially in rural areas because all the rivers and railroads and poo poo are accurate

FS2020 is still seriously revolutionary but there's definitely room for improvement

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Not the Messiah posted:

son of a bitch if its that obvious and I've missed it I'm going to throw myself out of a window meticulously rendered cockpit

I think you just press O three times in that one.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

It's interesting to me what they decided to add as landmarks. They have fly geyser in nevada, which is right next to burning man, but if you fly over burning man right next door it loads a town with factories and stuff on the empty festival area. Why would they add a custom landmark that sits next to a much better known landmark and not clean the other landmark up at least a little? It definitely points to how rushed everything was.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wooten posted:

It's interesting to me what they decided to add as landmarks. They have fly geyser in nevada, which is right next to burning man, but if you fly over burning man right next door it loads a town with factories and stuff on the empty festival area. Why would they add a custom landmark that sits next to a much better known landmark and not clean the other landmark up at least a little? It definitely points to how rushed everything was.

The use of factories and towns at the site of Burning Man is a commentary on BM's current image of a bohemian, free culture gathering that is merely a facade for a turbo corporate and consumerist convention populated by weekend weirdos and saddos who think smoking a doob while hula-hooping is a personality.

Or it might just be a bug, hard to say.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's already a whole bunch of addons that add 3D landmarks and it's really emphasising the need for a system where there can be a collection you can subscribe to with these kind of contributions from the community.

I wonder if a bunch of fans could get together to create an open-source 'community-contributed landmarks' mod on the marketplace that anyone can contribute to and get their updates approved into. I wonder if you can pipeline an open repo on github and build and continuously update the marketplace mod from that source.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 28, 2020

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Lol that modders are using google maps data to make mods. Starting to seea few Aus landmarks coming out like the MCG and the Harbour bridge. I don't know why they even bothered doing the opera house if they weren't going to do the bridge, it looks so wrong.

Will need to check if Melbournes 212 story building blew down in yesterdays storm.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

There's already a whole bunch of addons that add 3D landmarks and it's really emphasising the need for a system where there can be a collection you can subscribe to with these kind of contributions from the community.

I wonder if a bunch of fans could get together to create an open-source 'community-contributed landmarks' mod on the marketplace that anyone can contribute to and get their updates approved into. I wonder if you can pipeline an open repo on github and build and continuously update the marketplace mod from that source.

https://gateway.x-plane.com/airports/page

we need this website for msfs

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Looks like an F-18 aircraft was just released by some modders. HUD and MFDs are not functional but gauges are, and it uses the Legacy Flight Model not the Modern one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvO9Ee4kcX8

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

spaceblancmange posted:

Lol that modders are using google maps data to make mods. Starting to seea few Aus landmarks coming out like the MCG and the Harbour bridge. I don't know why they even bothered doing the opera house if they weren't going to do the bridge, it looks so wrong.

Better than when I flew over it a week or so ago. It didn't have those pillars or the arch. It was the world's most boring flat gray bridge right next to the goddamn opera house. I may hate that stupid bridge and the stupid city gated by it but how do you look at the two landmarks that matter and go 50% on it when they're right next to each other.

It'll be a sad day when they remove the Melbourne Monolith.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

McLarenF1 posted:

Looks like an F-18 aircraft was just released by some modders. HUD and MFDs are not functional but gauges are, and it uses the Legacy Flight Model not the Modern one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvO9Ee4kcX8

So they poorly hacked in the FSX Hornet, it sounds like

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Someone better Mod in a flying saucer.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

- way too fast on final
- unstabilized approach

Ah, never seen anyone walk away from a riddle landing...good on him

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Checking out my hometown, and knowing how accurate it is on Google, made me kinda sad. Besides the general shape it's unrecognizable :(

Edit: Google->MSFS Converter when?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Macintosh HD posted:

What are you using to prop your phone up btw?

This Cell Phone Stand placed between my yoke and keyboard.

The angle seems a little wonky, but it seems to work fine. It actually works really well placed on top of the yoke, or just behind it.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 28, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GhostDog posted:

Checking out my hometown, and knowing how accurate it is on Google, made me kinda sad. Besides the general shape it's unrecognizable :(

Oh i give it a few weeks at most until someone figures out how to script selecting every real-world-custom-model building out of the google maps database worldwide and autopopulate them into a mod for MSFS.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

MikeJF posted:

Oh i give it a few weeks at most until someone figures out how to script selecting every real-world-custom-model building out of the google maps database worldwide and autopopulate them into a mod for MSFS.

gently caress yeah.

The city I was born in is modelled in photogrammetry. The city I live in, which by all accounts is much more important, is not. Going over my birth place, I can trace back where all my school friends lived, where I got on the bus in the mornings. You can clearly see and often read the big advertisements that are painted on the side of homes. I can visit my old school, my sister's house, see the parks and places where I hung out as a kid. It's really all there and when in motion, it looks uncannily like when I dream of that place. By god, it even has the proper bus stops and junk food kiosks.

The city I live in does not have photogrammetry. From a far distance, you can sort of recognize the shapes: there are rivers that border it, the canal system. The big traffic arteries are in the right place and the algorithm succesfully detected and placed the system of big roundabouts that connect them. But all the big landmarks aren't there if you don't squint really hard. Big structures with striking architecture like the university of hospital are replaced by what looks like an oversized apartment blocks. A few sky scrapers are replaced by two-story office buildings (same fate as the apartment complex I live in). The architectural palette is all wrong, it's placing residential houses that are clearly from a different country and have the wrong size. Residential areas also have the wrong density home: the suburbs are full of terrace houses and apartments whereas in reality there are many free standing homes, whereas in the city center there are tons of homes with apparently gardens and lawns on them. The city is incidentally depicted also in IL:2, and it's about as recognizable (if you account for almost 80 years of urban growth and development).

So, I'm really, really hoping for that Google -> MS FS pipeline.

It's weird to me that my home town has photogrammetry whereas my residence does not. My home town is one of the poorest, most indebted, least employed, least educated cities in the country, with barely any tourism. The only interesting things about it are the traces that half a century of economic and industrial decline left behind, i.e. industry repurposed into night clubs, offices, and what little stage play they can get. By contrast, the city I live in is a cultural hotbed, the economical center of the region, has history, architecture going back literally to Roman times, tons of commerce and tourism. It must simply be that they took whatever cities they could get data on, I can't imagine the devs chose that intentionally.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
There's already tutorials for how to rip Google maps stuff and put it in MSFS. People are mostly doing landmarks right now

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Ah, never seen anyone walk away from a riddle landing...good on him

:golfclap:

That dude should have gone around before he crossed perimeter road. He might have been able to save it by going full-forward slip and maintaining altitude to bleed the energy off, but everything else about that video indicates that he isn't aware that the aircraft is equipped with rudder pedals.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 28, 2020

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

GhostDog posted:

There is a free plugin that provides a pop out VFR that's an overlay on Google Open Street Maps that makes it easier to navigate/locate POIs that might be helpful if you're on PC and have a second monitor.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
The only downside of a Google --> MSFS mod would be that you probably couldn't stream the assets in on demand, but would have to download big honking mod packs for every location you want.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Gasoline posted:

There's already tutorials for how to rip Google maps stuff and put it in MSFS. People are mostly doing landmarks right now

Got a link or some search term? Google only shows me results for Sketchup -> FS X.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

Got a link or some search term? Google only shows me results for Sketchup -> FS X.

I haven't used them myself, but there's some linked here: https://old.reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/comments/iftk7i/the_engineer_library_a_list_of_tutorials/

And here's a list of scenery fixes and landmarks https://old.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/ii0jmx/complete_community_freeware_airport_and_scenery/

Gasoline fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 28, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JayzTwoCents has a pretty good video on what to do to get some FPS that helped my rear end a ton. I just did everything he did in the video and it's a crap ton smoother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVhyOZaUcU

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
**EDIT** Wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Someone needs to add this ship and flight model so I can zoom around the world sightseeing.

This would also be acceptable