Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Not this time, but there has been that trotted out before itt where disliking TLJ gets people equated with the lunatic nazi element.

My main point though is it's just a rumour at this point and making comments in the present tense about totally imagined scenarios is pretty weird.

Unfortunately, the people who dislike TLJ the loudest and have vested monetary interests in preformatively disliking TLJ and getting others to as well usually are lunatic Nazis. And they tend to spoil the prospect for all the non-Nazis whom they intersect with by dint of being Nazis. No one in this thread falls into that first category though, and if they do, then they are very good at hiding it because I don't think anyone here, TLJ lover or hater alike, would stand for it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

The really fun part is that the copyright on Mickey Mouse is due to expire in the next two years and I don't believe Disney have even started campaigning or lobbying for it to be extended again so it's possible Mickey Mouse will become a public domain figure in late 2023 or early 2024. I saw some speculation that the reason Disney has been buying up so many franchises in the last decade or more is because they know they can't keep pushing the boat on copyright to keep Mickey in-house, and so they want a slate of new characters and properties they can use as the public face of the company instead once Mickey enters public domain. If it does happen, you just know there's gonna be some adult works with Mickey flooding the market as people test the water on that idea. Comics where he has sex, novels where he kills other public domain figures, dark, gritty Mickey swearing as he broods over something etc.

So a legal reprinting of Air Pirates Funnies, then?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I believe they made several full scale or partial full scale (ie cockpit and nose only) OT-era T-65 X-Wings for Rogue One that have probably been reused in other projects. One of the very first leaks for Rogue One was also a full-scale X-Wing wreck painted in Saw’s Partisans scheme that apparently had its scene cut from the movie.

It's still there in that when Jin and Anders run into stormtroopers after the convoy ambush and are about to be captured until Donnie Yen saves them, that whole fight takes place right in front of a crashed X-Wing (the crash itself is gone which is fine, the convoy ambush didn't need escalating).

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

jng2058 posted:

If you don't mind delving into the old EU (now Legends) it's be one of the Katana Fleet Dreadnoughts. These were super automated and able to be commanded by as little as one person and there was a whole fleet of them linked together on one command net...which was a problem when the admiral in charge went insane from a bioweapon and took the whole fleet on a blind hyperspace jump to nowhere.

So arguably a Dreadnought or technically two hundred of them. :shrug:

Depends on what you mean by automated. Several of the CIS ships run through direct automation and droid support. We see many times in the Clone Wars cartoon only one humanoid on a huge CIS ship. Are droids automated? Maybe, especially if they can repair and replace themselves.

edit: something about those Dreadnoughts that are so sexy. Like a carrier-less Battlestar.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 19, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

SolarFire2 posted:

Nah, the X-Wings in Mandalorian were the old school 4-engine kind, that's the Sequel trilogy two half-engine model.

Funny thing is, a T-70 was originally supposed to show up in Season 1, if this concept art from "The Prisoner" is any indication.

In-continuity, there's at least one prototype flying around a year after Endor. Mando S3 and Rangers are set five years after that, so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw them start popping up in those shows.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 19, 2021

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SolarFire2 posted:

Nah, the X-Wings in Mandalorian were the old school 4-engine kind, that's the Sequel trilogy two half-engine model.

Vinylshadow posted:

If I remember the BTS material correctly, they used the cockpit from the Galaxy's Edge model for the actors to sit in

Yeah that's what I meant.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Cross-Section posted:

Funny thing is, a T-70 was originally supposed to show up in Season 1, if this concept art from "The Prisoner" is any indication.

In-continuity, there's at least one prototype flying around a year after Endor. Mando S3 and Rangers are set five years after that, so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw them start popping up in those shows.

It's outer rim so they get one step above military surplus.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Every loving time.

"Oooo, a 1:6th Ashoka? gently caress yes!"

Then I see the price.

gently caress.

Who actually has the spare dosh right now to blow a quarter g on a goddamn jedi figurine, son of a bitch

nine-gear crow posted:

Unfortunately, the people who dislike TLJ the loudest and have vested monetary interests in preformatively disliking TLJ and getting others to as well usually are lunatic Nazis. And they tend to spoil the prospect for all the non-Nazis whom they intersect with by dint of being Nazis. No one in this thread falls into that first category though, and if they do, then they are very good at hiding it because I don't think anyone here, TLJ lover or hater alike, would stand for it.

... I'm not going to like something just because Nazi's hate it. :colbert:

TLJ sucks and the whole sequel trilogy was a massively unplanned fuckup inferior in that specific regard to the prequels.

TLJ's rasher of poo poo is slightly excessive though, as it had the misfortune to be the episode that confirmed that there was, indeed, no goddamn plan.

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 20, 2021

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
TLJ was good, actually. The other two suck tho, especially RoS.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
They could have cancelled the ST after TFA and it would have been fine but TLJ really sealed the fate of the whole ST

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Whenever someone says "it was all planned" (and only after all's said and done) means there was no plan."

Plan your story out in advance, and watch as it's drastically better received than writing by going down a disorganized checklist of Things You WANT To Happen

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BrotherJayne posted:

Every loving time.

Then I see the price.

gently caress.

Who actually has the spare dosh right now to blow a quarter g on a goddamn jedi figurine, son of a bitch

Sideshow Toys has payment plans and it's about $50/month. You get the figure just as it's released to the general public as well.

Well worth it - Hot Toys is one of the best. Pictures don't do it justice either. Once you have them in your hands youre like - holy poo poo!! I've been blown away each time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hot Toys is the best.

I can’t wait for the Mandoooo

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

writing by going down a disorganized checklist of Things You WANT To Happen

On the other hand, this is literally how Indiana Jones was created

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BrotherJayne posted:

Every loving time.

Then I see the price.

gently caress.

TLJ sucks and the whole sequel trilogy was a massively unplanned fuckup inferior in that specific regard to the prequels.

TLJ's rasher of poo poo is slightly excessive though, as it had the misfortune to be the episode that confirmed that there was, indeed, no goddamn plan.

I just saw a $1500 statue of Lara Croft yesterday. And it was a drat good statue but wow I can't imagine buying it unless I literally worked at Eidos Interactive

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just saw a $1500 statue of Lara Croft yesterday. And it was a drat good statue but wow I can't imagine buying it unless I literally worked at Eidos Interactive

Statue buying and 1:4 scale collecting boggles my mind but there ARE whales out there with massive collections. But I imagine the good majority are taking away from something else. Like those people who have massive houses but sleep on a mattress on the floor. House poor. Toy poor.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A really good friend of mine is probably one of the biggest Ultraman collectors in America and yeah he has some big pieces, but most of it is regulated to one room. It's difficult to walk in there.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Statue buying and 1:4 scale collecting boggles my mind but there ARE whales out there with massive collections. But I imagine the good majority are taking away from something else. Like those people who have massive houses but sleep on a mattress on the floor. House poor. Toy poor.

I know quite a lot nerds that work in IT that spend extraordinary on nerd poo poo and not have families/dont own their place. Also it sometimes replaces expensive hobbies like international travel or anything that requires equipment.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sash! posted:

On the other hand, this is literally how Indiana Jones was created

Key word: created

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yeah, the "they planned this poo poo out!" really just comes down to the creatives involved, as making it up as you go along was used in series like Breaking Bad and Mad Men, but then also stuff like Battlestar Galactica and Lost. Some came together better than others, it really comes down to the writers and showrunners and how much they are invested on building on what came before, while also being confident in the *type* of story they are wanting to tell. Even Babylon 5, the proto-type for "He had a plan!" had to change and pivot due to outside circumstances and working it out as they went along.

Even with a unified lead or team, the results can still come out mixed. As the showrunners mainly stayed consistent across the full series I listed. If all three ST writers/directors were in the same rooms more often, I think that would have helped. As it stands, I think their meetings were really only done to help set up anything in the last few minutes to bridge over to the next movie. They then played off the themes of what came before, without talking about what the arc of those themes would be.

I think there's absolutely a version of Rise of Skywalker in the hands of competent writers that properly paid off all the themes and tied everything together better. And by that I mean, the story is 95% the same, you just minorly adjust and tweak some aspects. There's actually a lot of ties back to TLJ in RoS that work pretty good thematically, there's also just a lot of "Yeah, no, it's this" with little effort paid to make the new angle worthwhile. In my head, it's the same fan-edit poo poo I did to the Prequels when they came out, "If just a few things were tweaked, this would basically be amazingly better." Movies just end up having a make or break problem with such choices, as they are one and done, as opposed to the tv series I mentioned, which have hours and hours to play with the stories and make course corrections more easily.

Teek fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 20, 2021

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Vintersorg posted:

Sideshow Toys has payment plans and it's about $50/month. You get the figure just as it's released to the general public as well.

Well worth it - Hot Toys is one of the best. Pictures don't do it justice either. Once you have them in your hands youre like - holy poo poo!! I've been blown away each time.

Oh boy, the look on the wife's face when I tell her.

On the one hand, Ashoka. On the other, a goddamn payment plan to Sideshow.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s out next year or so, you have some time

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

BrotherJayne posted:

Every loving time.

Then I see the price.

gently caress.

It's not like I'm traveling! :signings:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

CheshireCat posted:

It's not like I'm traveling! :signings:

Tried so hard to get one of those, they’re like $100+ now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah that’s the hot toys figure. Its regular price is 260, deluxe is 315.

It’s going up only because a lot of them are stuck on boats.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah that’s the hot toys figure. Its regular price is 260, deluxe is 315.

It’s going up only because a lot of them are stuck on boats.

was gonna say, $100? Gimmie

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

BrotherJayne posted:

TLJ was the best movie out of a trilogy in which each installment was a wild overcorrection that ignored the events of the directly preceding film. On balance, I still don't like it, but I can respect the ambition of its attempt to break away from Abram's paint-by-numbers wannabe-reboot.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Anshu posted:

TLJ was the best movie out of a trilogy in which each installment was a wild overcorrection that ignored the events of the directly preceding film. On balance, I still don't like it, but I can respect the ambition of its attempt to break away from Abram's paint-by-numbers wannabe-reboot.

So, Abram's wannabe-reboot is at very least tangential to the original trilogy (which fat cheesy fingered neckbeards such as myself fuckin' love half to death [sweet jebus episode V in particular is so goddamn good])

So if you break away from a thing tangential to a thing that is beloved, your heading is... gotta find a way to fit the "a thing" into that sentence a third time.

Anyhoo, I digress. TLJ was 30 minutes of good ideas crammed into a 3 hour crappy chase and heist movie.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Ep 7 was more or less exactly what I expected and Ep 8 was thought provoking and original and felt the least like a Star Wars movie trying to do a Star Wars movie but Episode 9 was just 100% rear end

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Maybe Disney could get Joss Whedon to do a Star Wars trilogy

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

BrotherJayne posted:

Anyhoo, I digress. TLJ was 30 minutes of good ideas crammed into a 3 hour crappy chase and heist movie.

Somehow I keep forgetting about the loving contrived chase A plot that happens the whole movie while they tried to cram a second movie's A plot into/around it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It was a half assed chain of dogs that forgot to do anything to make me give a poo poo about anyone involved, with a yakety sax intermission

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The Second Battle of Geonosis arc (minus the brain worm zombie episodes) plus The Wrong Jedi arc should have been the movie for The Clone Wars, but I'm judging by five out of seven seasons. The ending was as sad as the beginning of Up

edit: wrong thread, sorry

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 21, 2021

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Brainworms was funny just for the Aliens scanners and the bit of Obi-Wan relentlessly being a sassy dick to Anakin

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
TLJ is my second favorite Star Wars movie, I thought it was absolutely fantastic and came out of the theater elated. I could not believe it when I started hearing about how some people absolutely despised it. I'm still a little blown away by the vitriol.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

TLJ is my second favorite Star Wars movie, I thought it was absolutely fantastic and came out of the theater elated. I could not believe it when I started hearing about how some people absolutely despised it. I'm still a little blown away by the vitriol.

I enjoyed it too and still do but I don’t put it up on as high a pedestal.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

I remember seeing early impressions out of the European premiere and they were all literally black-and-white "I loved it" "I hated it" takes

It was then I knew that we had truly gotten a Star Wars film

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

I enjoyed it too and still do but I don’t put it up on as high a pedestal.

It kind of moves around my top five depending on my mood at the time, but it's up there. I watched it as part of an Easter Star Wars marathon on TV earlier this month for like the first time since I saw it in theaters and I found myself enjoying it and appreciating it a lot better than I did when I first watched it. I just think people who melted down over it and are still to this day legitimately mad about its existence for some reason are weird as gently caress.

It was not worth getting that angry about.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TLJ sucked big time.

Mostly because the setup from TFA had me ready for some cool poo poo like FN possibly becoming a badass jedi, or military leader, with a cool story of redemption. But NOPE. He's a clown now. Hope you like it.

Hell, I even thought there might even be a romance with Rey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

By the end of TFA he lost the lightsaber, got knocked out by Kylo Ren and it was revealed he was just a janitor the entire time for some reason.

Forces were at play to not make him what he could’ve been.