Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Use your subscription tab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Seriously though can anyone recommend a 3rd party YouTube app that will allow me to banish Shorts to the land of wind and ghosts? Preferably keeping my premium features

Apple banished all the 3rd-party youtube apps several years ago, vinegar seems to be the extent of what they'll allow.

I hate it because youtube is the worst thing on an apple tv

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Clark Nova posted:

Apple banished all the 3rd-party youtube apps several years ago, vinegar seems to be the extent of what they'll allow.

I hate it because youtube is the worst thing on an apple tv

I'd say to try Yattee as an alternative Youtube app, but you definitely have to go through a couple of hoops to set it up.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
drat. Grim to watch the very last vestiges of useable internet slip away

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Don’t really understand how Yattee is supposed to work, looks kind of interesting in that it supports SponsorBlock, but doesn’t seem to be like a way to just browse YouTube? Confusing

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Don’t really understand how Yattee is supposed to work, looks kind of interesting in that it supports SponsorBlock, but doesn’t seem to be like a way to just browse YouTube? Confusing

Try this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Yattee/comments/13d3lj7/how_to_set_up_and_use_yattee_to_watch_youtube/

It takes a bit of time to set up but once it works, it’s nice. But to be fair, it’s nowhere as nice as SmartTubeNext on Google TV/Android.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's wrong with using YouTube in Safari? Vinegar works great (on my iPhone, it broke on my iPad somehow) to block all ads and use a native iOS video window. And if you turn "Watch History" off you get this very passive aggressive message about how YouTube can't serve you recommended poo poo which they somehow think is a bad thing?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
First off, lmao about the watch history thing. Yeah I guess that makes sense as a solution, I’d not heard of vinegar before. Only downside is it’s a little bit more finicky and also I don’t think you can minimise the window in safari and have the vid’s audio still play, which is something I use the official app for all the time. Thanks tho and I’ll give it a go :thumbsup:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Minotaurus Rex posted:

First off, lmao about the watch history thing. Yeah I guess that makes sense as a solution, I’d not heard of vinegar before. Only downside is it’s a little bit more finicky and also I don’t think you can minimise the window in safari and have the vid’s audio still play, which is something I use the official app for all the time. Thanks tho and I’ll give it a go :thumbsup:

You sure can minimize the window and even lock the screen.

The scrubber doesn't work but the skip buttons work. And you can pop it up in pip mode and hide that screen too if you want.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Only downside is it’s a little bit more finicky and also I don’t think you can minimise the window in safari and have the vid’s audio still play, which is something I use the official app for all the time. Thanks tho and I’ll give it a go :thumbsup:
This is one of the headline features of Vinegar

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there an extension that will remove this AI bullshit poo poo from Google? I will pay money for it.

E: I am not opted into this. There's an opt in feature that says it's to get more of this to show up. I would like exactly none of this to show up. I don't trust anything the AI says and it takes up the entire screen so I have to scroll down to see the results that matter.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 23, 2024

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there an extension that will remove this AI bullshit poo poo from Google? I will pay money for it.

E: I am not opted into this. There's an opt in feature that says it's to get more of this to show up. I would like exactly none of this to show up. I don't trust anything the AI says and it takes up the entire screen so I have to scroll down to see the results that matter.

I stopped using Google for Kagi over a year ago, but apparently this url parameter unshittifies Google

https://udm14.com/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't know how to make that the default search in iOS so it's useless to me.

But I found that I can add the following block element rule to 1Blocker:

And it gets rid of them. At least for now.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

You’re a gentleman and a scholar.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

poo poo I guess there is a reason to get the premium version then

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Stop the Madness can hide elements as well:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Corb3t posted:

Stop the Madness can hide elements as well:

StopTheMadness guy also posted about redirecting to the parameter thing I posted up thread

https://underpassapp.com/news/2024/5/4.html

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I googled this and as far as I can tell it’s a big fat no but is there no way to have a stop watch on the Lock Screen?

I am ideally looking for a rest timer and don’t want to just have my phone unlocked the whole time.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

MarcusSA posted:

I googled this and as far as I can tell it’s a big fat no but is there no way to have a stop watch on the Lock Screen?

I am ideally looking for a rest timer and don’t want to just have my phone unlocked the whole time.

Yes, but the app needs to have support for Live Activities.

Liftin' is a good workout app with support, but might be overkill if you just want a timer.

'Live Activities' should help your searching at least.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

101 posted:

Yes, but the app needs to have support for Live Activities.

Liftin' is a good workout app with support, but might be overkill if you just want a timer.

'Live Activities' should help your searching at least.

Oh! I was searching for widget and that came up with nothing. Thanks I’ll check out that app!

Yeah I just need a timer that I can reset easy enough and it doesn’t seem like something that should be that complicated?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone have a recommendation for a good bill tracker app? I've used the same one basically since the iPhone started supporting apps, and after Apple made me get a new phone*, when setting up this new phone it tells me that the app is no longer in the app store and won't let me re-download it.

My old app was called Bill Tracker, and it's just a simple list of every bill I have to pay per month and the bill's due date, and gives me a notification at 10am 3 days before the bill is due , 2 days before, the day before, and the day the bill is due (and every day after if I still haven't marked it as paid.) I could probably achieve something like this with a custom calendar, but I'd rather have an app for it. Anyone have anything? I'm looking for something that's free or low cost, and definitely NOT a subscription app. Everything I'm finding is either a complex budgeting app, or it's some kind of subscription, or it boasts that it connects to your bank and all your bill accounts, and I don't want any of that.

*went in for an AppleCare-covered battery replacement for free, and they told me when they opened up the phone, the water sensor had been tripped so there's nothing they could do except give me a new replacement phone for $100. Felt like a scam to me, since my phone has never fallen into any water, but there was not really anything else I could do. My phone HAS been out in the rain, and it's been in a humid environment, but if those things are enough to trip the sensor, it seems to me like the sensor is too sensitive.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good bill tracker app? I've used the same one basically since the iPhone started supporting apps, and after Apple made me get a new phone*, when setting up this new phone it tells me that the app is no longer in the app store and won't let me re-download it.

My old app was called Bill Tracker, and it's just a simple list of every bill I have to pay per month and the bill's due date, and gives me a notification at 10am 3 days before the bill is due , 2 days before, the day before, and the day the bill is due (and every day after if I still haven't marked it as paid.) I could probably achieve something like this with a custom calendar, but I'd rather have an app for it. Anyone have anything? I'm looking for something that's free or low cost, and definitely NOT a subscription app. Everything I'm finding is either a complex budgeting app, or it's some kind of subscription, or it boasts that it connects to your bank and all your bill accounts, and I don't want any of that.

I use Bobby for similar to this. It markets itself as being for tracking subscriptions, and will automatically add logos for most subscriptions (Netflix etc) but there’s nothing to stop you using it for regular bills. I have very few true “subscriptions” and most things I track in it are more bill-like.

It’s not a subscription app itself but has some one-off in app purchases to unlock optional features, more to support the developers. I think the only essential one is unlocking the number of items (which means the free version is more like a demo) but that’s only 99p.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Froist posted:

I use Bobby for similar to this. It markets itself as being for tracking subscriptions, and will automatically add logos for most subscriptions (Netflix etc) but there’s nothing to stop you using it for regular bills. I have very few true “subscriptions” and most things I track in it are more bill-like.

It’s not a subscription app itself but has some one-off in app purchases to unlock optional features, more to support the developers. I think the only essential one is unlocking the number of items (which means the free version is more like a demo) but that’s only 99p.

I have used Bobby for years to track monthly bills and really like how simple it is.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I need the same - can anyone comment on how this would compare to chronicle?

I need an app that will do iCloud sharing with MY WIFE.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 28, 2024

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Holy hell, I don't think I can wake up to Apple's new set of sounds for the Sleep app, how do I use the old ones or do I have to buy an old analog one?

Edit: They fixed it so that it you hit "+" in the Clock app you can add your own old alarms.. if you use the Sleep app you're limited just to a few new age sounds [s]that suck to me for getting up[/s} that aren't as jarring as Old Phone.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 28, 2024

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Sleep app?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Probably my favorite feature of the Apple Watch is the buzz your wrist to wake you up. I haven't heard an alarm in years and I haven't woken my wife up with a noisy alarm as well.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Disappointing Pie posted:

Probably my favorite feature of the Apple Watch is the buzz your wrist to wake you up. I haven't heard an alarm in years and I haven't woken my wife up with a noisy alarm as well.

I sleep with sleep headphones for that. White noise is great for sleep.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

I sleep with sleep headphones for that. White noise is great for sleep.

Can you recommend whichever sleep headphones you like?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

Can you recommend whichever sleep headphones you like?

I use these. https://kokoon.io/en-us/products/philips-sleep-headphones-with-kokoon

Can't speak for iOS experience but I bet it's fine. I have an android phone

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Chin Strap posted:

I use these. https://kokoon.io/en-us/products/philips-sleep-headphones-with-kokoon

Can't speak for iOS experience but I bet it's fine. I have an android phone

Very interesting, I've tried using those sleep masks with the cheap bluetooth headphones in them but the increments of volume never seem to work well and since they're just bulky speakers in the fabric I can't position them directly over my ear.

I'd love to use my AirPods but obviously stick out quite a bit and interfere with my ear on my pillow. I may have to give these a try.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there an app that will read PDFs to me? iOS has a built in screen reader but it’s not really ideal for reading long form PDFs.

I have a lot of study material I’d like to listen to while I drive and stuff.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Very interesting, I've tried using those sleep masks with the cheap bluetooth headphones in them but the increments of volume never seem to work well and since they're just bulky speakers in the fabric I can't position them directly over my ear.

I'd love to use my AirPods but obviously stick out quite a bit and interfere with my ear on my pillow. I may have to give these a try.

For the sleep masks, there’s *one* manufacturer I’ve found that uses soft thin speakers so you can put them right over your ear (even as a side sleeper). They’ve cut down their product offerings to just the made for children version, but you can pull the electronics from that mask and put it into an adult sized one.

https://www.cozyphones.com/products/cozyphones-3-0-kids-fox

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

FWIW I am a side sleeper too. These are definitely comfortable and function like normal headphones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks for the feedback. May give them a try. I'm actually a heathen belly sleeper, but of course I don't sleep face down in the pillow so my head is at a side.

Reviews on these are all over the place, seems like a mix of needing to be just right for a persons body and tastes and the first version being really bad. (Without Philips)

Don't really care about any of the sleep tracking features and between YouTube and Spotify there's more than enough content. Any meaningful things gated behind their subscription?

If the kokoon website isn't too bad to deal with for returns (many reviews complain about that, unsure if recent experience) I may get them and see how they work for my ears.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Amazon has the headphones too but it’s like $230 on there or something. Seems a bit much for some sleep headphones imo but I wouldn’t be against trying it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for the feedback. May give them a try. I'm actually a heathen belly sleeper, but of course I don't sleep face down in the pillow so my head is at a side.

Reviews on these are all over the place, seems like a mix of needing to be just right for a persons body and tastes and the first version being really bad. (Without Philips)

Don't really care about any of the sleep tracking features and between YouTube and Spotify there's more than enough content. Any meaningful things gated behind their subscription?

If the kokoon website isn't too bad to deal with for returns (many reviews complain about that, unsure if recent experience) I may get them and see how they work for my ears.

I don't use their app or paid features at all. I don't miss a thing.

Can't speak to their customer service.

The other option I liked were the Bose Sleepbuds but they aren't currently updated. I had to side load the app from an old mirrored APK somewhere. Not sure the iOS situation. And they don't work like normal BT headsets, have to use their sounds and nothing else. On the plus side they can work without a phone attached once you configure them once. You can probably find a pair of them reasonably cheap on eBay.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Question about those Kokoon sleep buds. It says they have noise masking, could that potentially mask out a smoke alarm or something? I’d love to try them but I’d be terrified I’d miss some life saving thing

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I sleep by a busy road and the white noise blocks some out but it isn't like ANC level noise cancelling. I still hear some road traffic. Just don't turn the sound up too much. They aren't airtight fits or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Oh hey, sleep tech chat!

So, I used to use the Bose Sleepbuds and they were fantastic. But after a couple of months, the battery on one of the buds couldn't last a whole night. So, I ended up getting a refurbished pair of Sleepbuds (because gently caress paying $250 again), which was great. Again though, after a couple of months, another bud just straight up died. And even though I wanted to pick up another refurbished pair of sleepbuds, I found out that Bose had stopped selling them completely.

I went on a search for a device to help with the sleep. Here's some devices I used:

Anker Soundcore A10 - The cheapest of the ones I used. Also, it was poo poo, as the battery barely lasted a whole 6-7 hours before it died. And this was with using Anker's app instead of using my own music. I ended up doing an Amazon return.
SleepPhones - Of the four or so I've used, this is the one that has the most mileage since I started this search. In terms of battery, it held out for about 2-3 nights before requiring a charge, just from using my own music. The headband itself was pretty comfy, considering I'm bald and having a headband was convenient for warmth during the winter. The only (sorta) bad thing about this was encountering an issue of the battery only lasting for a whole night instead of multiple nights. It turned out the battery was swollen, which was a bit of concern with having to put a swollen battery in the back of my head while falling asleep for a few hours. I contacted support, and they were cool enough to send out a replacement battery.
Philips Kokoon - I was interested in getting the Kokoon, only to realize they were developing a second iteration of the Kokoon with Philips via Indiegogo (which I guess is a crowdsourcing site like Kickstarter). I paid like $170 on Indiegogo for it, while Amazon says otherwise. In terms of usage, it's ... fine. It'll last a night or two. Having a cold device on the back of my head while lying down on the bed feels weird at first, but overall it's fine.
Ozlo Sleepbuds - So when the Bose Sleepbuds disappeared, I learned that the trademark was acquired by former Bose employees. They ended up crowdsourcing via Kickstarter/Indiegogo, of which my timing was perfect and ended up purchasing from there. I've owned these for a few weeks, and it's as if I had received my latest pair of the Bose Sleepbuds from before. It's great so far. Hopefully, the battery will last longer than its predecessors.

Also for reference, I wear a CPAP mask because sleep apnea is a thing. So pairing the mask along with one of these sleep tech thingies makes for an interesting sleep schedule.