Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

When I was younger I quite liked squad tactical (turn based or real time with pause) games, but as free time got less and less abundant I've pretty much gotten out of them to the point where I don't feel very familiar with playing them anymore. I just recently discovered Door Kickers which so far has been a really good way to ease back into tactical games that I can play for just a few minutes if I have just a few minutes, or hours if I have hours.

Are there any other entry-level type tactical games people would recommend? I used to love playing JA2 but it feels like a huge time commitment to play now. Since Door Kickers is already QCB focused something that is mostly battles out in the open would be the best.

e: Also I guess I prefer to play from a top-down perspective, not first or third person.
Hard West is a recently-released Western-themed TBS with lots of closeup bar brawls and that sort of thing. It’s come under some criticism for having a few separate and relatively lightweight campaigns as opposed to one more sprawling and ambitious one, which sounds perfect for what you’re after!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

I bought this and the expansion stuff a while ago and tried to play it but the base management part immediately took me out of it for some reason. I should probably try again, thanks for reminding me :)

The base management stuff is relatively straightforward and can be done in a fairly cookie-cutter fashion (check something like beforeiplay for some tips), while the squad-based stuff is fairly complex and rewarding.

The sequel looks like it's going to be emphasizing the squad-based stuff even more, with a relatively less complicated base and none of the air combat stuff, so it may be even more up your alley.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

When I was younger I quite liked squad tactical (turn based or real time with pause) games, but as free time got less and less abundant I've pretty much gotten out of them to the point where I don't feel very familiar with playing them anymore. I just recently discovered Door Kickers which so far has been a really good way to ease back into tactical games that I can play for just a few minutes if I have just a few minutes, or hours if I have hours.

Are there any other entry-level type tactical games people would recommend? I used to love playing JA2 but it feels like a huge time commitment to play now. Since Door Kickers is already QCB focused something that is mostly battles out in the open would be the best.

e: Also I guess I prefer to play from a top-down perspective, not first or third person.

Frozen Synapse

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Frozen Synapse

This is really similar to Door Kickers but I could never get past how abstract it is. I like grunty, bleedy, tactical barbies.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Do the Breach & Clear games have any similarities to Door Kickers outside of the general aesthetic.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

This is really similar to Door Kickers but I could never get past how abstract it is. I like grunty, bleedy, tactical barbies.

If you don't mind a future sports theme, Mode 7's newer game, Frozen Cortex, is less abstract (all things being relative--it's lacking in bleedy shooty bits but it's a bit more grounded than blue people with blue guns running around a blue field)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I posted this in the steam thread, because it was about steam-exclusive games, but it probably belongs here instead...

Hey all, my sister just got a steam account and wants recommendations on cheap games like the ones she likes. Unfortunately they're not genres I keep very well informed about, despite being a huge nerd, so I turn to you guys.

Basically the games she enjoys are as follows: The zombie mode in Call of Duty games, Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures, and especially Adventures of Lolo for the NES.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Lurdiak posted:

I posted this in the steam thread, because it was about steam-exclusive games, but it probably belongs here instead...

Hey all, my sister just got a steam account and wants recommendations on cheap games like the ones she likes. Unfortunately they're not genres I keep very well informed about, despite being a huge nerd, so I turn to you guys.

Basically the games she enjoys are as follows: The zombie mode in Call of Duty games, Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures, and especially Adventures of Lolo for the NES.

"Road Not Taken" struck me as very Lolo-like when I played it.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Killing Floor is basically what CoD:Zombies was based (poorly) on.

Killing Floor 2 is the new one, and quite good.

Some of the modern roguelikes can hit that weird action adventure/logic puzzle itch that LoLo was all about, maybe FTL or Convoy? Lolo's a hard game to find a match for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tagra posted:

"Road Not Taken" struck me as very Lolo-like when I played it.

Awesome! That's a good start.

TheAnomaly posted:

Lolo's a hard game to find a match for.

Tell me about it. The only thing I could think of was the SNES Goof Troop game, and that isn't exactly likely to land on Steam.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Lurdiak posted:

Awesome! That's a good start.

Tell me about it. The only thing I could think of was the SNES Goof Troop game, and that isn't exactly likely to land on Steam.

There are a number of whimsical character based puzzle/action games on steam, but I haven't played most of them myself.

"Ittle Dew" looks like an old Zelda but I've heard it's like 90% box and switch puzzles and Lolo-y things like that.
"Tetrobot and Co." is on a 2D vertical axis but I've heard its good fun for puzzle fans.
"Escape Goat" is a game I've played and think is good. It is a cute puzzle platformer, there's some platforming skill required but I think it fits the Lolo bill well enough.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 21, 2016

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Hard West is a recently-released Western-themed TBS with lots of closeup bar brawls and that sort of thing. It’s come under some criticism for having a few separate and relatively lightweight campaigns as opposed to one more sprawling and ambitious one, which sounds perfect for what you’re after!

I watched someone play through the first campaign node type thing, and the combat looks really cool. The campaign RPG stuff looked like it was in an awkward space between a totally scenario based campaign (like in any RTS) and an RPG, without the directness of the former or the depth of the latter. I don't know about anyone else but it really pisses me off in a game when the story pulls you in the direction of just wanting to be peaceful but the game mechanics won't let you resolve situations without combat. If, due to game mechanics, the character can only express themselves with violence then just write a player character who likes violence.

That rant aside, have you played it and is the combat good enough that it holds together for a whole playthrough?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Probottt posted:

Shin Megami Tensei IV for the 3DS

al-azad posted:

Yokai Watch when she's done devouring Pokemon.

Picked up both of these. Thanks for the recommendations!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Got anything for a lightweight Diablolike with a more modern UI that can fit on a 4GB USB drive?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Got anything for a lightweight Diablolike with a more modern UI that can fit on a 4GB USB drive?
Torchlight 1 or (kind of) Magicka 1 maybe.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I can't decide what to play from my backlog. Is there anything from either my library or my inventory that are absolute must plays?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Valkyria Chronicles is also pretty good, though it has some mission design problems, and I've heard a lot of praise for Divinity: Original Sin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EightDeer posted:

I can't decide what to play from my backlog. Is there anything from either my library or my inventory that are absolute must plays?

Darkest Dungeon, all the Total War games, Valkyria Chronicles and Age of Wonders 3 are all totally worth playing.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I vote Divinity: Original Sin -if- you have a friend to play it with. Preferably blind. It's been an absolute blast going through that with someone.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Torchlight 1 will probably want to plant user files in the user directory, but if that's not a problem, it's a good lo-fi game to fit on a flash drive.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

exquisite tea posted:

Grim Dawn x1000

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

EightDeer posted:

Divinity 2: DKS is really good if you like a) killing things b) sassing people c) turning into a dragon and d) making unholy creatures. But mostly sassing people.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Grim Dawn x1000

Have it, but the install is already larger than 4GB and I'm looking for something "lightweight," as in can be played on just about anything.

I also own Torchlight, just wanted to see if there was something else I might have missed.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Drox Operative is 261 MB: http://www.gog.com/game/drox_operative

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

Valkyria Chronicles

Zaphod42 posted:

Valkyria Chronicles

Well, it's the only game with more than one vote, so I guess I'll play this.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

exquisite tea posted:

Have it, but the install is already larger than 4GB and I'm looking for something "lightweight," as in can be played on just about anything.

I also own Torchlight, just wanted to see if there was something else I might have missed.

Weird, my GD install is 3.3 gb and it runs on the Titan Quest engine from 2006. It should run on just about anything if you turn the physics off.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I remember playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the first time, and being completely awestruck by the inverted Dracula's Castle. Just when I thought I had the game beat, I was instead only halfway there! :aaa:

Are there other games that do this? Just think you've reached the end, only to find out that there's holy crap so much game left? Although asking for it will probably ruin the surprise, but oh well. Just don't say when the reveal happens, I guess.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I remember playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the first time, and being completely awestruck by the inverted Dracula's Castle. Just when I thought I had the game beat, I was instead only halfway there! :aaa:

Are there other games that do this? Just think you've reached the end, only to find out that there's holy crap so much game left? Although asking for it will probably ruin the surprise, but oh well. Just don't say when the reveal happens, I guess.

Dragons Age: Inquisition has a helluva pullback like that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Okami does it as well.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Ghosts 'n Goblins? :v:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Torchlight 2 should also fit

In fact, you might be able to fit both Torchlights on the same stick...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Okami does it as well.

I'm not surveyor really need to spoiler the name of the game here, but yeah it's after example. I remember playing it and just being constantly surprised at how much BIGGER it was than it initially leads you to believe.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Okami.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Super Mario 3D Land actually surprisingly does exactly this. You play a full, long Mario game, you get to the end, you beat Bowser, cool beans! You're the champion!

Errrr what is this special world I just unlocked?

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M ONLY HALF WAY DONE?!?!?

Kanfy posted:

Ghosts 'n Goblins? :v:

Making you play the game twice shouldn't count :cheeky:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Resident Evil 2. There's like 5 games in there.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Zaphod42 posted:

Making you play the game twice shouldn't count :cheeky:

That one in Ghouls and goblins (and the squel) is one of the biggest dick moves in the history of gaming.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
What's a good multiplayer FPS on PC that people are actually playing and isn't Call of Duty or Counterstrike?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

spasticColon posted:

What's a good multiplayer FPS on PC that people are actually playing and isn't Call of Duty or Counterstrike?

Rainbow Six: Siege

If you're looking for something non-tactical or non-competitive then I don't really know.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yoshi Jjang posted:

A lot of RPGs do this, particularly Tales games make it a point of pride to fake endings. Don't know if a full RPG is exactly what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

spasticColon posted:

rainbow six siege if you want slower tactical action or dirty bomb for a more cartoony style of game