Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

EightAce posted:

July 2017 will see the lights turned off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ideate posted:

well I'm really excited about 2.4

"I understand why people who don't understand development would get frustrated," says Erin Roberts.

um

derek smart beat up a coke machine

edit: fidelity

Ben and I talked about that in IRC when it happened. I have the logs. Lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Experimental Skin posted:

I haven't decided which I am yet, they are all so lovely! Perhaps I should run 'The Next Great Shill!' competition to choose the best CIG employee to be?

Hmmm, name talks about body. Poster seems happy, but shy about asserting oneself. Refuses to believe the best employees have been claimed already...

Yup, you're Mrs. Lesnick alright. Try not to make too much noise and stick yourself in the background. Wherever's fine, just don't do anything at all... except maybe shrug at Ben.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Red Alert is my jam and still one of the best RTS games of all time and I will fight anyone over that statement :c00lbert:

Happy b-day Tim Curry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Mr.Tophat posted:

A shitizen runs into a burning building to save their JPEGs

Derek Smart is dumbstruck

"Some things just aren't worth dying for"

I once was a fireman for better or worse.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Star citizens are waiting for the game to succeed based on Roberts prophesies and promises of soon.

Goons are waiting on Star Citizen's demise based on Derek's prophecies and promises of soon.

I once ate a live bug.

Who's laughing now? :smug:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ZenMaster posted:

I once was a fireman for better or worse.

Fahrenheit 42.

Friday is going to be fun to watch.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hmmm, name talks about body. Poster seems happy, but shy about asserting oneself. Refuses to believe the best employees have been claimed already...

Yup, you're Mrs. Lesnick alright. Try not to make too much noise and stick yourself in the background. Wherever's fine, just don't do anything at all... except maybe shrug at Ben.

Cool, I'll just stay here on this couch then, rather than attempt to roll off. Pass the toroidal carbohydrate modules please?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Lime Tonics posted:

Fahrenheit 42.

Friday is going to be fun to watch.

what's on friday?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

megane posted:

The name of the game at this point is Lowering Expectations. Every time CIG makes a statement these days it's "we're working on X which will be ABSOLUTELY AMAZING incidentally the Y we promised won't be happening any time soon, if ever, but X is going to be AMAZING which won't be any time soon, if ever; this statement in no way implies a deadline and failure to deliver X or Y will in no way constitute a failure to deliver Star Citizen as a Minimal Valid Product," and one by one all those impressive features get brushed under the table. And the backers just... adjust. The Unfeature wasn't ever really a thing we actually wanted anyway -- who cares, they're making X!! And they didn't say it was cancelled, they're just focusing on this other stuff which is definitely what we've always cared about!!!

This time next year the citizens will be screaming bloody murder at the slightest suggestion that they ever wanted anything more from CIG than S42: Director's Cut and a newly reworked iteration of Port Olisar to fly their Collector's Edition Gold Foil 300i around. It'll be fun watching the 10FTC where Chris slides in a tiny little note that there miiiight not be exactly 100 systems done precisely at the initial launch BUT

E.L.E. Endlessly Lowering Expectations.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Good version :golfclap:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

orcinus posted:

poo poo. I forgot to look at the fuel gauge.
I'm stuck in a system with a loving red dwarf and only enough fuel for supercruise.

Bleh. Time for sleep, i'll mourn my exploration data tomorrow.

Call the Fuel Rats :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZj3mbZVnNI

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ZenMaster posted:

You jerks just passed right over this!!!

Thank you commander o9 your spacekitty has levelled up :pgabz:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it's ironic how much the wing commander movie is lampooned considering how compelling of a story the fall of CIG is going to make

They'll get the guy who played Abed's dad to play Derek Smart and Jonah Hill gets to gain hella weight again to play Ben. Lol I bet Sandi will try out for her own part and not get the role. Maybe Olivia Munn? She seems like she's just as much a bitch behind the scenes too so I bet she'd nail it

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ZenMaster posted:

I'll admit. I didn't know about Star Citizen until today. I was just posing gifs and videos here to fight off the darkness. Hollow, death all my life.

:same::pgabz::pgabz::same:

this is a lot more amusing to me than it should be, somebody please buy :gladofit: for my own gratification thanks

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

orcinus posted:

poo poo. I forgot to look at the fuel gauge.
I'm stuck in a system with a loving red dwarf and only enough fuel for supercruise.

Bleh. Time for sleep, i'll mourn my exploration data tomorrow.

But you can scoop M stars.
Or did you forget a scoop? In that case, that's your problem, not the forgetting to look at the fuel gauge.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
This thread actually gave me a moment of self-reflection and I wanted to try and identify what I had spent on Eve and how that would align. I played Eve from 2006 - 2013 and my best estimates put spending between $900 and $1200 on Eve and played between 3000 and 5000 hours - and yes you would probably consider me a whale (running 1-3 accounts etc)

Based on that number, I would say I spent somewhere between $.2 and $.5 /hour on Eve (absolutely you can question my judgment there, but at least I did something for my money)

How does that stack up against other forms of entertainment?

Elite: Paid 80 bucks so far, and logged 600 hours: $.13/hour
Bioshock: Don't remember, but guessing it was 50 bucks and I played 20-40 hours. $1-$2.5/hour
Major motion picture in the theater: $5-$10 / hour.

So if I spent 1000 dollars on Star Citizen, I would expect somewhere in the neighborhood of one of the following:

Play 100-200 hours with the same entertainment level as watching a movie in the theatre.
Play 500-1000 hours with same entertainment level as Bioshock
Play 2000-4000 hours with same entertainment level as Eve or Elite.

It's pretty obvious that Chris really believes he can pull off a video game with the entertainment value of a movie - which is laughable because it's not the right goddamn medium for such a thing. There simply isn't a market for $10/hour entertainment in video gaming. (BattleTech pods er uhm yeah okay)

Now imagine if you put 5-15k in this game. CGI has pre-sold to some people a game with the entertainment equivalent somewhere between 20 years worth of expansions and subs to WOW, and 5000+ loving hours of BIOSHOCK. :psyduck:

I really can't tell anymore what's more delusional - the idea to sell the BDSSE, or the idea to buy it.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Goobs posted:

what's on friday?

MISC Prospector Concept Sale

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

ZenMaster posted:

I'll admit. I didn't know about Star Citizen until today. I was just posing gifs and videos here to fight off the darkness. Hollow, death all my life.

ZenMaster of Londor

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Holy poo poo, actually caught up with the thread!

Dear shitizens,

Star Citizen will never be a game, let alone a AAA game.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

SharkTattoos posted:

This thread actually gave me a moment of self-reflection and I wanted to try and identify what I had spent on Eve and how that would align. I played Eve from 2006 - 2013 and my best estimates put spending between $900 and $1200 on Eve and played between 3000 and 5000 hours - and yes you would probably consider me a whale (running 1-3 accounts etc)

Based on that number, I would say I spent somewhere between $.2 and $.5 /hour on Eve (absolutely you can question my judgment there, but at least I did something for my money)

Bioshock: Don't remember, but guessing it was 50 bucks and I played 20-40 hours. $1-$2.5/hour

So if I spent 1000 dollars on Star Citizen, I would expect somewhere in the neighborhood of one of the following:

Play 100-200 hours with the same entertainment level as watching a movie in the theatre.

It's pretty obvious that Chris really believes he can pull off a video game with the entertainment value of a movie - which is laughable because it's not the right goddamn medium for such a thing. There simply isn't a market for $10/hour entertainment in video gaming. (BattleTech pods er uhm yeah okay)

Now imagine if you put 5-15k in this game. CGI has pre-sold to some people a game with the entertainment equivalent somewhere between 20 years worth of expansions and subs to WOW, and 5000+ loving hours of BIOSHOCK. :psyduck:

I really can't tell anymore what's more delusional - the idea to sell the BDSSE, or the idea to buy it.

I adore when the sunk costers face the paradox of 'for ship real life value to increase in the game's launch, then the game will have to be an excruciating grind. If the game is an intolerable grind nobody will play it and ships will be worthless and I'll be a high status loser in a dead game'.

They often argue that 'well you can't call something which is inherently fun a grind! there will be so much to do and such a big world that it will NEVER feel like a grind. Therefore everything is okay and good because the money I set on fire actually was a sound investment'

How could any gamer who has touched or seen literally any MMO ever since the inception of the genre be this loving dumb? If there are significant, powerful rewards available in an even vaguely competitive game then attaining those IS the goddamn game. The system will be broken over the spergs and cheaters knees in the first hour of the live game

I'm starting to believe that CIG will address (not actually keep since there's no game) this promise by removing the whole premise of a player driven economy. No trade of any kind between players, no possibility of a fluid currency value. Exactly what everybody is expecting right??

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Star Citizen: It Probably Didn't Start Out As Fraud But...

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

there are already backers telling themselves and others on reddit that they already have a game - and a game development journey - that's worth the money they payed. maybe there's a super secret version of the game that ISN'T a total steaming pile of poo poo but i doubt it

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
You know that should just rebrand Star Citizen as MVP. It's got a hell of a ring to it and would be easy to market.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I just realized SC will spawn a whole new generation of Lesnicks.

Broken, irredeemable people living in a kingdom of their own delusion (until the day Croberts pulls the plug on the servers, then the poo poo will go down).

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

skaboomizzy posted:

I just realized SC will spawn a whole new generation of Lesnicks.

Broken, irredeemable people living in a kingdom of their own delusion (until the day Croberts pulls the plug on the servers, then the poo poo will go down).

Just think of them as content.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SharkTattoos posted:

I think the concept you're searching for is something along the lines of “entertainment density” or, as it's occasionally called in EVE, “fun per hour.” The tricky thing about games such as EVE and Elite, is that they generally offer fairly low density, but not low enough to just become plain old boring (in the view of the target audience), and you end up getting a lot for your money anyway. Films can demand a higher price tag because the density is higher, which funnily enough means they work for a larger audience and thus rake in more cash.

Listening to some of the gameplay discussions dreams of whales on reddit and the RSI forums, it often sounds like they're expecting lower density than already fairly extreme EVE and Elite examples. What with the fidelitous spaceship flight attending and no-running and mopping duty, which makes the price point even more insane. Paying more for getting less out of it — not just exponential increases in cost for marginal gains, but actually paying for the privilege of getting less value for money. I'm sure there are economic models for that irrational behaviour already, but if not, there's an entire academic career to be made out of this (along with the entire research institute that could be founded on studying the sociology of the SC community).

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Experimental Skin posted:

Just think of them as content.

Procedurally generated human dumpster fires.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

there are already backers telling themselves and others on reddit that they already have a game - and a game development journey - that's worth the money they payed. maybe there's a super secret version of the game that ISN'T a total steaming pile of poo poo but i doubt it

You don't know the Super secret by invite only version?

It is called

Star Citizen : sunk cost fallacy edition

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SurfaceDetail posted:

LOL okay I see. thanks to whomever.

You certainly earned it!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

through early preview vids i see
visions of the things to be
the game that is withheld from me
i realise and i can see

c-i-g is gameless
yet releases many jpegs
and i will fund or pledge it if i please

i try to find a way to make
all the criticism fake
without that ever-present hate
but now i know that it's too late

the game of smart is hard to play
i'm gonna lose it anyway
the losing card i'll someday lay
so this is my e-v-a

the only way to win is shill
and die on this given hill
then to another give my quill
for that's the only painless pill

the sword of stars will pierce our skins
it doesn't hurt when it begins
but as it works its way on in
the pain grows stronger, trip-pi-ling

a brave man once asked me
to answer questions that are key
is it to be or not to be
and i replied 'oh f-t-c'

c-i-g is gameless
yet releases many jpegs
and i will fund or pledge it if i please
...and you can do the same thing if you please

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Exinos posted:

Star Citizen will never be a game, let alone a AAA game.
AAA is an indicator of budget not quality though, and Star Citizen definitely qualifies. It's not just big for crowdfunded games, it's big for games, period.

That's why I'm a little surprised the gaming media has been mostly silent regarding the game. When this thing collapses, it's going to be big.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Scruffpuff posted:

He can't make them for a shotgun without the server crashing, otherwise sky's the limit.

Besides that, Mrs Lincoln, how'd you like the play?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4fkgp3/community_thanks_guys_this_sub_is_still_one_of/

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4fkgp3/community_thanks_guys_this_sub_is_still_one_of/d29lbbh

Totally chill, and generally welcoming

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4fgcba/star_citizen_wont_fullfill_its_stretch_goals_for/d28nqqm

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
I think that Cymelion fella is Toast

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

why are people still comparing SC to one of the most successful game studios in the world? I don't understand what their fascination is with blizzard.

when a blizzard game or expansion gets delayed, I don't care because i know it's coming out eventually.

compare that to.......what in SC? every milestone missed (them possibly not even being in the final product apparently), cutting out entire modules, etc? I don't understand the connection.

also the guy saying the 40k community is toxic. 40k has NOTHING. NOTHING on Star citizen in terms of toxicity. the SC community is by far the most revolting, disgusting, racist, sexist, etc community i have ever seen online. 40k people argue about lists, weapon loadouts, they don't defend the face of a company being a racist stalker who chokes himself on footlong hogeys while jerking off to the thousands of photos of some 5/10 news lady.

the SC community consistently amazes me with it's loving stupidity.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

Raping Table is $125, it's in the store now

Forget that. $500 will buy you the SurpriseSex Crate 300 Jump. It's the state of the art in virtual surprise sex technology. AND it's fully ready. Not like the Raping Table that is still in concept.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

it's ironic how much the wing commander movie is lampooned considering how compelling of a story the fall of CIG is going to make

They'll get the guy who played Abed's dad to play Derek Smart and Jonah Hill gets to gain hella weight again to play Ben. Lol I bet Sandi will try out for her own part and not get the role. Maybe Olivia Munn? She seems like she's just as much a bitch behind the scenes too so I bet she'd nail it

Elodie Yung will play Sandi. She looks like Sandi wishes she used to look like, while actually being as young as Sandi pretends to be now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Ben will be played by Mel Rodriguez.

• Locked thread