Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

boviscopophobic posted:

Here you go. I don't have to point out where the two free fly events are because it's pretty clear from the graph.

Ah cool, thanks dude.

I am forever astonished by how "clean" these graphs look. I don't understand how they are able to have such a consistent hourly rate of new signups. Usually you see variation due to day/night cycles at least.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavendish
Feb 26, 2016

D_Smart posted:

**BREAKING NEWS LIVE FROM BEHIND ENEMY LINES**

FF to April 2019

We are truly living in the future.... :)

But honestly, did anyone who knows anything (or nothing, depening on your view) believe that all the features they spewd out could actually be done, on time and on budget?

Ravachol
Apr 4, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

Here you go. I don't have to point out where the two free fly events are because it's pretty clear from the graph.

Can you make a multi chart with funding on the right hand y-axis? It would be interesting to see how free flight affects their funding. I imagine minuscule bumps each FF week, follow by a swift return to poo poo mountain.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
And now for something completely different

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Chalks posted:

Ah cool, thanks dude.

I am forever astonished by how "clean" these graphs look. I don't understand how they are able to have such a consistent hourly rate of new signups.

There's a 24-hour cycle and weekends might also have some effect. Both effects are small relative to the vertical scale of that graph, but you can see hints of the 24-hour ripple. Broadly speaking, though, signups are fairly consistent from day to day, and the same is true of funding and fleet numbers. Is that suspicious? Possibly, but I don't have enough context to say one way or the other.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

And now for something completely different

This made me laugh after 500 posts of nothing

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Truga posted:

Hello! My name is Truga and I'm an original backer. And you're just plain stupid stupid.

Every so often, I get on star citizen chat and bring up the controversial topic of "why can't I earn UEC in the PU yet?" People then proceed to go batshit insane, saying "alpha has exploits, what if people farm 3 billion credits before relese", as if having an extra column in the account table for the duration of testing is such a big deal, or even worse, "no, then everyone will fly the ~best ship~ after a week", as if it loving matters. Both answers are actively bad for the game, and for testing. But the tone of their answers is saying the even dumber thing - "I paid hundreds of dollars for this ship, you can't have it you aurora pleb". Which I wish I was.

I backed elite and star citizen for too much cash when it looked like they might not hit their crowdfunding goals. Not for the ships - elite didn't even offer any ships past super basic poo poo in even the highest tiers, and the only ship that looked kinda cool in the star citizen lineup was merlin - but to chip in a couple extra cents to get the projects made. Back when it looked like elite kickstarter was literally just riding the star citizen hype at first glance, and it felt like it was a huge risk compared.

But now, Elite is giving me "free" expansions for that money, and I can play a fairly stable and fun game while waiting for it to have more ever more and better features. Meanwhile, croberts decided I don't really get anything for my early cash after game launch (a thing that has been looking increasingly unlikely every day for over 2 years now), except a sq42 "mission disc" I'm not even interested in. Also, PU is a piece of poo poo that's never getting fixed at current rate of changes that are happening.

It's funny, too. I kickstart a shitload of games, buy a lot of early access poo poo, including some fairly risky proposals, and my current batting rate would be 100% despite that, if not for star citizen. And SC looked like one of the more solid projects I backed. I guess running a scam leaves you more time with dealing with appearances, as opposed to wasting it on making the game?

Croberts really does deserve Derek at this point.

:same:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
So let me talk about alphas and betas and such, even though I clearly don't understand game development.

I took part in the Battleborn alpha, since I'm a console-gaming heathen. They did the alpha this winter; I had to tell them what system I was using and maybe a couple other things, and I got approved. This is from Gearbox, the same studio behind the Borderlands games. Battleborn is like a MOBA/FPS hybrid where you pick a character, play a game and pick your skills as you progress. There were multiple PvP modes and a PvE story mode.

The alpha didn't look polished, but you could tell there was a complete game in there. A dozen or so very unique characters with unique skills that made sense according to their designs. PvP modes, a basic story mission, etc. Since it's now in open beta, I don't feel like anything I've said violates the NDA I had to accept to play it.

The open beta started a week or so ago, don't know if it's still going on. It has more functional characters, more PvP modes, more story missions. Everything looks much more fleshed out, and I have no problem believing they'll meet their early May shipping date. Everything I played told me they had a focused design and mechanic, and their engine could handle it.

It's not my cup of tea. I likely won't buy it on release because it's just not the type of game I could see myself sinking hundreds of hours into. That being said, it's clearly made by competent people who had a definite vision of what they wanted to produce, and it sure seems like they lived up to their own expectations. Anyone who has ever wanted a MOBA/FPS game should buy it, because that's definitely what it is.

Compare that to the flaming poo poo-filled tire fire of SC's PTU. A game designer with literal decades of experience was unable to successfully fly a ship. The SC community didn't say "hey, maybe this isn't the right kind of game for you, that's okay", they said "gently caress YOU WITH A SPIKED FLAMING DILDO, THIS GAME IS OUR NEW GOD AND YOU MUST BE BURNED AS A SACRIFICE TO IT".

Contrast: If I were to tweet the Gearbox head dude to tell him that I think his new game is well-done but not my thing, he would either ignore it or say "that's OK, and thanks for the feedback". If I were to do a free-fly week for SC and tweet "I don't think this is an actual playable game right now and it never will be after $110M and four years of development", I'd probably have dozens of death threats sent directly to my house.

gently caress all of these people, they deserve to be miserable.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Ravachol posted:

Can you make a multi chart with funding on the right hand y-axis? It would be interesting to see how free flight affects their funding. I imagine minuscule bumps each FF week, follow by a swift return to poo poo mountain.

Free fly weeks have almost no effect on funding. The only thing that makes a difference is sales (of ships, starmaps, or other bric-a-brac, tchotchkes, and gewgaws).

You can see the bump from the Esperia Vanduul Blade, a smaller subsequent bump from whatever Starfarer thing, and a tiny bump from their current military ship sale.

Ravachol
Apr 4, 2016

Chalks posted:

Ah cool, thanks dude.

I am forever astonished by how "clean" these graphs look. I don't understand how they are able to have such a consistent hourly rate of new signups.

Spoilers:
Ben sat down in his extra-wide gaming chair Chris had bought him, sighing with satisfaction as the hydraulic shaft groaned and hissed under his weight. Shirtless, he bathed in the pallid light of his 22 inch monitor - all he can afford after offering half of his paycheck as tribute to Christ Roberts in return for the blessing of jpeg spaceships more talented people had drawn from his half-baked ideas. Excogitation is ecstasy, after all. Especially when the final products have been brought into being on the backs of laborers more talented than you, like the Pharaohs of old. Hungry for self-affirmation, his jaundiced eyes flickered over the latest metrics; each new signup was a data point on a clear trajectory toward giving his life purpose. But suddenly, without warning, the signups ceased. The latest data indicated a sharp decline in new Citizens; an immediate threat to his savior's quest for apotheosis. "This can't be!" he thought to himself. Dumbfounded, he stared blankly for a moment before his heavy eyelids began tumbling clumsily over his swollen gaze. "I must FIX this..." As if on their own, his hands began following the ritual he'd performed countless times before.

Incognito. Google. New account. Password. RSI. New account. Password.

Endlessly his fingers tumbled over the keys of his HP branded membrane keyboard, the soft thuds of each keystroke bringing him closer to vindication - to salvation

Ravachol fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 20, 2016

Ravachol
Apr 4, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

Free fly weeks have almost no effect on funding. The only thing that makes a difference is sales (of ships, starmaps, or other bric-a-brac, tchotchkes, and gewgaws).

You can see the bump from the Esperia Vanduul Blade, a smaller subsequent bump from whatever Starfarer thing, and a tiny bump from their current military ship sale.

This is actually a great graph. A+ for effort. This is really something CIG should be paying attention to. That and new signups vs. pledges - it'd be interesting to know their conversion rate. It's likely fairly low, which explains the Blade sale. "Hey, we had some dumbass leak this asset 6 months ago but for some reason it isn't complete but it looks cool so let's just release it and slap a $250 price tag on it!" "WOW SANDI YOURE A JENIUS"

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I never put money towards this game, and I have never been on Kickstarter because it looks stupid, but I feel after following this trainwreck of a game via this thread I can push this figurative gigantic weight off of my chest

here goes

"star citizen is bad"

thank you for reading o7

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

orcinus posted:

No one wants to touch the poop.

Small poop you can scrape off your soles is okay.
Big poop that goes over the edge of your shoe and leaks into your socks not okay.

CIG poop needs a sealed MOPP suit with a LONG rear end snorkel.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Daztek posted:

This made me laugh after 500 posts of nothing

I helped and am glad of it

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

boviscopophobic posted:

Originally I wanted to try to figure out how many purchases were coming from whales versus "ordinary" backers, so I set up some polling of the funds/fleet/"fans" at finer than 1 hour intervals (the idea being that fewer purchases would be lumped into each data point, thus easier to disambiguate). Unfortunately this plan was made before I understood how the tracker was affected by melts, non-purchasing citizens, non-ship funding sources, the different update schedules for fleet counts and citizen counts, etc. so the original goal ended up being impossible. However, the current data is good enough to see when a large transaction comes in and to estimate trends.

As for the troll/cancelled Completionist purchase, it ends up looking like this:

The raw funding increment is the difference in the funding tracker between successive updates. Note the large $15k spike and the later negative spike for nearly $15k. Since other purchases can fall into the update window, we don't expect those spikes to be exactly +/- $15k.

If you check their funding tracker and ask for the "Day" history, you can get the totals for the last 7 days. I checked after April 17, and the day totals that they reported are what you would get if you cancelled out the original $15k purchase. Thus the day-to-day breakdown differs from what you would see in real time. i.e. if you were constantly watching their daily funding graph like a hawk, it would have changed to reflect the cancelled purchase.

Thank you for the answer, really interesting stuff. What time interval are you using for this and when did you start? Are you planning to keep everything you've gathered private?

I am also really curious about those other factors you mentioned (melts, non-ship, etc): is there a place these are written in detail or is communal knowledge/guesswork? How did you come to understand the specifics?

full disclosure: I'm not Derek's analyst but I have a huge data boner for understanding the fund tracking model. Appreciate anything you can share

Ravachol
Apr 4, 2016

Truga posted:

I guess running a scam leaves you more time with dealing with appearances, as opposed to wasting it on making the game?
Croberts really does deserve Derek at this point.

Well if we're being honest, they're birds of a feather. Derek's games are reeking piles of crap (unless you read the forthcoming manual! If you don't you're too stupid to recognize his brilliance!) and Crobert's latest endeavor is a reeking pile of crap being shoveled to poo poo-eating Shitizens one shovelful at a time (it's only Alpha! How DARE you question his vision!)

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

when u think about it we are all in a bad video game

Ravachol
Apr 4, 2016

Ostentatious posted:

when u think about it we are all in a bad video game

From the way I understand it, I'm white so I'm playing FFXIV while everyone else is playing any installment of Dark Souls.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

EightAce posted:

The thing is , it isn't fraud ...........in the traditional sense
Have there been fraudulent practices involved , sure, but SC as a whole is not a scam , nor was it set out as such. Croberts genuinely believed he could make the BDSSE and set out to do so . However he thought that by simply attaching his name to it and hiring the best of the best it would magically happen. Cry engines the wrong engine? Hire everyone that made it so they can fix it to my specs. People actually buying JPEGS for thousands of dollars ? sell more !. The worst part is that this attitude has inadvertently created a micro ponzi scheme by its very nature. People have to buy more JPEGS to pay the wages of the dev staff so they can work on the JPEGS they have previously bought. This causes a never ending treadmill of impossible to complete tasks.
Add to this two other elements. When the well starts to dry up : Simply make more outrageous promises and get more whale oil . If anyone questions where the game is point them in the direction of the janky hosed up Cry mod that is SC claiming it exists. And when all else fails simply change the TOS
The biggest worry and one that is now palpable is the Whales getting together ........ This is now happening . Also the good Doctors ELE is happening (And not connected) . This forum and other places where dissent and outright ridicule is mixed with facts and highlighted fuckups is just noise to them , except when it effects their ability to hire which is what you are now seeing. People who can help them out are simply not going to go anywhere near this . Finally the internal rumor mill is now in full swing , people are getting ill about this . All the other hilarity aside the cash is a real concern to those on the factory floor

I would argue it is rather fraudulent AT THIS POINT. I will credit crobbers with the basic incompetence to promise so much more than he can deliver . But, in an ethical business environment, you need to be able to look at a project, realize you failed, and find a way to make it up to any affected investors.

Like I said before, ethics is knowing the difference between what you have the right to do and what is right to do.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Solarin posted:

I'm starting to believe that CIG will address (not actually keep since there's no game) this promise by removing the whole premise of a player driven economy. No trade of any kind between players, no possibility of a fluid currency value. Exactly what everybody is expecting right??

That's always been Chris' plan from Day 1, for every player there will be 9 NPCs which dilute any impact you can have on the economy while simultaneously players will be able to influence the economy by controlling resour

gently caress it

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Kotaku just dancing around the edges of calling bullshit on the whole thing here.. Come on for fucks sake - don't drop little hints. Do your loving job and tell people to stop wasting their money

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/04/13/try-monstrously-ambitious-space-sim-star-citizen-free-for-a-week

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I was hoping hulk hogan's penis would have killed kotaku as well by now but here we are

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

boviscopophobic posted:

It looks like both graphs have a minimum slope value that it refuses to go under, which is really weird. How spaced apart are the data points? If they're fairly close together can you subtract a constant slope from each graph until at least one section is at 0 slope? I want to see if that would look more realistic. Or throw the raw data up somewhere if you don't wanna waste even more or your time.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

skaboomizzy posted:

My three favorite threads right now are this one, the GOP primary thread, and the one about a nearly dead third-rate wrestling promotion possibly being taken over by literal Nazis.

I guess I love chaos and failure.

w-what?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ostentatious posted:

I was hoping hulk hogan's penis would have killed kotaku as well by now but here we are

Don't give Croberts ideas. He'll add procedural Wrestler Dongs as a stretch goal

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toops posted:

Nice. Somebody archived my posts before the fascist mods delorted them.

http://archive.is/QIh8M

But before my posts. :sigh:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Kotaku just dancing around the edges of calling bullshit on the whole thing here.. Come on for fucks sake - don't drop little hints. Do your loving job and tell people to stop wasting their money

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/04/13/try-monstrously-ambitious-space-sim-star-citizen-free-for-a-week
In fairness it's saying to try it for free and see if it's worth any money, while heavily implying that it expects that the answer is "no" (which is why the free fly weekend doesn't make much sense except for desperation).

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Solarin posted:

Thank you for the answer, really interesting stuff. What time interval are you using for this and when did you start? Are you planning to keep everything you've gathered private?

I am also really curious about those other factors you mentioned (melts, non-ship, etc): is there a place these are written in detail or is communal knowledge/guesswork? How did you come to understand the specifics?

full disclosure: I'm not Derek's analyst but I have a huge data boner for understanding the fund tracking model. Appreciate anything you can share

The interval is less than 10 minutes but more than 1. I'll probably eventually leak the data somewhere but I don't have any immediate plans to do so. I only started a few months ago, unfortunately, so I'm missing a lot of interesting stuff in the historical record.

For the other items, it's conjecture/guesswork based on looking at the data and relying on the assumption that the funding tracker is basically accurate -- if it's not, then of course anything goes. Fleet counts decrease by small amounts but funding/fan counts don't (except for the recent completionist kerfluffle), so the cause must be melts. Funding spikes happen without fleet spikes but Reddit says a star map sale is going on, and the funding increments are consistent with star map pricing, so non-ship revenues must be included in the tracker. Citizen counts spike during free fly weeks but revenue and fleet counts don't, so the citizen count must include non-paying individuals (this was also known from folklore). Funding increments are mostly in whole dollars but sometimes aren't, so there must be some kind of currency conversion issues. You get the idea.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

I left that on my whiteboard overnight and when my boss came in to say good morning he was super loving confused. It was rad.

Dude, you (and Kayak) are rad.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Am I a bad bad goon for laughing at that trailer?

Because, if you say yes, I will feel so much grief (tripling every second) until I feel empty inside, dead.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, I've gotten my tools out now. What should I do first?

Lost it at the antifungal powder and am still laughing.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

XK posted:

This really is the trick to making fries. Every time I tried to make fries from a freshly cut potato, they always ended up weird. First trick is you need to rinse them very well after cutting. The second trick is the two stage cooking. Do them first at a lower temperature to cook them through, then let them sit for a little while, or even freeze them for later. Then, do them at a high temperature, just before serving, to finish them and make them nice and crispy.

This food thread is the best. And this advice should be on every page!

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Zo posted:

It looks like both graphs have a minimum slope value that it refuses to go under, which is really weird. How spaced apart are the data points? If they're fairly close together can you subtract a constant slope from each graph until at least one section is at 0 slope? I want to see if that would look more realistic. Or throw the raw data up somewhere if you don't wanna waste even more or your time.

The minimum slope is presumably the natural rate of fans/funds accretion in the absence of external stimuli. My impression is that those natural rates seem to decay rather slowly on a timescale of weeks to months. Looking at a smoothed rate plot might or might not help your intuition -- note the clear presence of a 24-hour cycle.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

boviscopophobic posted:

Funding increments are mostly in whole dollars but sometimes aren't, so there must be some kind of currency conversion issues. You get the idea.

I wonder if that funding tracker includes the VAT in the totals. (of course it does)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chalks posted:

Lol, I love it. Starting a thread in order to have an argument about something is forbidden. Heaven forbid you say anything that anybody disagrees with otherwise you're automatically get your thread closed if anyone argues with you.

For added hilarity: quoting CRobber apparently counts as creating a sensationalist thread title to “bait discussion”, which is somehow bad, whereas creating a thread to discuss things CRobber said on 10ftC is somehow good.

And then there are some that like to claim that any old amateur or fan can be a moderator and that you don't need professional CS/CR staff. :D

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

Tippis posted:

For added hilarity: quoting CRobber apparently counts as creating a sensationalist thread title to “bait discussion”, which is somehow bad, whereas creating a thread to discuss things CRobber said on 10ftC is somehow good.

And then there are some that like to claim that any old amateur or fan can be a moderator and that you don't need professional CS/CR staff. :D

It's not true if it's not coming directly from Crobber, but don't quote him because that's baiting.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yes.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

tastychicken posted:

This food thread is the best. And this advice should be on every page!

A few weeks ago on the BBC there was a program with a food scientist and Marcus Waring (michelin star chef) and they there was a segment about the perfect french fry.

The method was to thick cut french fries, then seal them in sous vie bag filled with brine and cook them, then to transfer them to the deep fat fryer to crisp them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

boviscopophobic posted:

The minimum slope is presumably the natural rate of fans/funds accretion in the absence of external stimuli. My impression is that those natural rates seem to decay rather slowly on a timescale of weeks to months. Looking at a smoothed rate plot might or might not help your intuition -- note the clear presence of a 24-hour cycle.

Oh thanks for those graphs. I guess without knowing the smoothing it's hard to tell, but for something like SC where there is no actual product (effectively anyway) I'm surprised that they'd have such a high constant minimum rate. My intuition was that it would, through sheer probability, hit near zero during at least some stretches of the low points. I guess nerds in Europe and Australia prevent that.

• Locked thread