Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weird how they handled writing the teachers between Persona 3 and 4. The teachers in 4 come across as cartoon characters. And if I remember correctly, the only teacher who has a portrait has a very abrupt retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weird how they handled writing the teachers between Persona 3 and 4. The teachers in 4 come across as cartoon characters. And if I remember correctly, the only teacher who has a portrait has a very abrupt retirement.

I mean, I think "guy who only wants to teach about the Sengoku period" and "lady who loves math but is extremely terrible at it" are also pretty cartoonish

Also, there's, uh... one more teacher with a portrait

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Detective No. 27 posted:

You're forgetting the teacher who trying to seduce her students that replaces the one you're thinking of.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Detective No. 27 posted:

Then there are the P5 teachers who all get portraits and are variously kind of jerks but otherwise normal human beings.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

I mean, I think "guy who only wants to teach about the Sengoku period" and "lady who loves math but is extremely terrible at it" are also pretty cartoonish

Was she bad at math? I honestly tuned most of the other teachers out and was like ‘okay hi, what’s your dumb trivia of the day’.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
P3 teachers are Toriumi, Ekoda who hushes up Fuuka’s bullying, Sengoku guy, math freak, and nurse weirdo. P4 it’s Moroka and the lady with her tits out we’re supposed to hate because Hashino so funny.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Actually, I think hating the teacher with the tits out is fair when she's like a raging femcel

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

P4 it’s Moroka and the lady with her tits out we’re supposed to hate because Hashino so funny.

Also Ancient Egypt lady and the principal we see all of once who looks like Japanese Dumbledore.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was some commentary about rural schools having no teachers (or bad ones) so that’s what they have.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Funky Valentine posted:

Also Ancient Egypt lady and the principal we see all of once who looks like Japanese Dumbledore.

Also the puppet guy, the unremarkable guy who makes really creepy remarks and begs you not to tell your parents, and the gym teacher who is also the English/biology teacher because no one who has a degree wants to live in Inaba. The latter of which is also the only normal person on staff.

P3 also has the handsome awkward physics teacher and the husband lady, who are quirky but functional.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 16, 2024

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

I think they were going for Darwin with the principal.

Edogawa's my least favorite teacher in the series because he's SO loving wordy, he's a quack who pretends to be a school nurse and whose homebrew drugs you needed to function pre-Reload, and because he reminds me of dudebro professors I had in college/grad school who were in their 30s and who all turned out to be passive-aggressive bitchasses. No, I'm not letting my personal trauma affect my judgment, YOU'RE letting your personal trauma affect your judgment.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
false, Edogawa is actually the best teacher. He even makes his Tarot rants optional so they can be even wordier than his normal lessons, no one else has that kind of dedication.

sorry you got cursed with itchy dreams as punishment for not paying attention in class, but that's really on you

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Please. If I wanted to read something that's a massively overwritten word salad I'd play Octopath Traveller.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Get out with your Octopath slander. :colbert:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Majorian posted:

Please. If I wanted to read something that's a massively overwritten word salad I'd play Crisis Core.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This is better than what I said, my apologies to Octopath Traveler.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Edogawa is actually the best teacher.
He's also right about essentially everything. Like in the real world he'd be a crank, but in the Persona universe he's loving legitimately oracular. And unlike essentially everyone else in P3 who figures anything out about how the world works, he (as far as we know) didn't basically just stumble into learning about things from direct experience (like just happening to wake up during the Dark Hour).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SubG posted:

He's also right about essentially everything. Like in the real world he'd be a crank, but in the Persona universe he's loving legitimately oracular. And unlike essentially everyone else in P3 who figures anything out about how the world works, he (as far as we know) didn't basically just stumble into learning about things from direct experience (like just happening to wake up during the Dark Hour).
The other option (which he is also - at least as far as the story tells us - not) is being an insane doomsday cultist in P3.

Though having an Edogawa mini-plotline in Reload where you find out he is aware of the Dark Hour and Shadows and is trying to inform people in the only way he knows how would've been cool, it's also fine that he's just a normal dude who's deep into mysticism and poo poo and just happens to be right based on the "Stopped Clock" model.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Don't forget to include his P4 cameo in whatever theory you have. Meaning the one where he's supposed to talk about the Kabbalah or some poo poo that might or might not have described Mementos, but chooses to discard the curriculum and talk about the tale of Izanagi and Izanami on a whim, while the P4 gang happens to be in attendance.

Dude knows about everything, either by coincidence as a layperson, or because he is something else entirely.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Maybe he got hired by Mitsuru for a reason. Like the guy who figured out how the Good Place works when high from the show, "the good place .

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like if anyone needed more backstory it's Officer Kurosawa and the antique store lady. They got more content in the Reload Tartarus documents but I never felt like we got the full story.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Look at that confident grin. That is one sexy-rear end samurai.:swoon:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Was she bad at math? I honestly tuned most of the other teachers out and was like ‘okay hi, what’s your dumb trivia of the day’.

In one of the first lectures she gives she fucks up an equation so bad that she gets a result too large to fit on the blackboard when the correct answer is 1.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

He’s right that history both starts and ends with whatever cool war your country was involved in

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Arist posted:

For better or worse, dunno how anyone can forget this character.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

TBH I completely zoned out until this very moment and now I wish I still had the lack of knowledge.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Don't forget to include his P4 cameo in whatever theory you have. Meaning the one where he's supposed to talk about the Kabbalah or some poo poo that might or might not have described Mementos, but chooses to discard the curriculum and talk about the tale of Izanagi and Izanami on a whim, while the P4 gang happens to be in attendance.

Dude knows about everything, either by coincidence as a layperson, or because he is something else entirely.

He's a nerd, the sort who might play an SMT game. Of course he knows everything about occultism and mythology.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Edogawa has a copy of P3 and is playing ahead. :newlol:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If I had to bullshit an excuse I would say that the presence of a God influencing the area would inherently make the things it embodies linger more on people's minds, which is why people in P3 are so death-idolizing and such.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

NikkolasKing posted:

i hosed her

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ImpAtom posted:

If I had to bullshit an excuse I would say that the presence of a God influencing the area would inherently make the things it embodies linger more on people's minds, which is why people in P3 are so death-idolizing and such.
I thought the way it was presented in game you have cause and effect reversed: In P3 Nyx shows up because people "desire death", in P4 Izanami is doing the fog and Midnight Channel because people "want to hide from the truth", and Yaldabaoth in P5 is doing his thing because people "desire to submit" or whatever. The protagonists in modern Persona are the people with the will to stand up to whatever demiurge has decided to end humanity this week.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Commander Keene posted:

I thought the way it was presented in game you have cause and effect reversed: In P3 Nyx shows up because people "desire death", in P4 Izanami is doing the fog and Midnight Channel because people "want to hide from the truth", and Yaldabaoth in P5 is doing his thing because people "desire to submit" or whatever. The protagonists in modern Persona are the people with the will to stand up to whatever demiurge has decided to end humanity this week.

Yes, but it's kind of a vicious cycle where the demiurge is born from the wishes of mankind and then feeds off and stokes those wishes to its own end.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

Yes, but it's kind of a vicious cycle where the demiurge is born from the wishes of mankind and then feeds off and stokes those wishes to its own end.

Just like SMT. The war of Law and Chaos will never end because people will always yearn for both order and change, therefore YHVH and Lucifer will be created and recreated time and time again.

It kinda sucks because human wishes give birth to the things which nearly end the universe or multiverse or whatever. Which means there is no end to any of it since "humans gonna human."

Strange Journey Redux at least got this in its Neutral Route.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

P3 teachers are Toriumi, Ekoda who hushes up Fuuka’s bullying, Sengoku guy, math freak, and nurse weirdo. P4 it’s Moroka and the lady with her tits out we’re supposed to hate because Hashino so funny.

Remember that said teacher also ropes another student in on her nonsense because Hashino was probably like "lol it's funny that she's fat, make her bffs with the creepy teacher"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

MechaX posted:

Remember that said teacher also ropes another student in on her nonsense because Hashino was probably like "lol it's funny that she's fat, make her bffs with the creepy teacher"

Atlus: Ha ha ha, look at the non-conventionally-attractive girl who likes the way she looks and is comfortable in her own skin! Isn't she RIDICULOUS?!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

And yet I'm still gonna buy Metaphor because I will never learn

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
It’s single player only. Wait for a sale at least…!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Japanesegovernment.jpeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Are there any Personas that are unique to P4/G? (We'll consider 'available as DLC in P3R/P5' to not count against uniqueness.) Was looking at the choices they make for the Investigation Team Boy challenge battle's personas (Izanagi, Yoshitune, Kaguya Hime, Sraosha, and Kohryu) to be pretty uninspired besides ol' Hassou Toby.