Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

xcheopis posted:

Before the 2004 disaster, I had assumed everyone knew what "ocean rapidly receding a long way out" foretold. I then also learned that not all tsunami have this behaviour!

well, poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
A huge percentage of tourists do not live anywhere near an ocean capable of getting tsunamis, or even anywhere near a coastline of any kind. It's just not something most people have had to think about.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

One of the few comforts of living in the Midwest is that the inevitable super tsunamis probably won't reach this far.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Admiral Joeslop posted:

One of the few comforts of living in the Midwest is that the inevitable super tsunamis probably won't reach this far.

Sure, wouldn't want anything to interrupt your enjoyment of the Yellowstone supervolcano.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Living in the midwest is like a slow-moving, never-ending man-made disaster, though.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

ZeusCannon posted:

But still if the loving ocean is leaving you should be too

This right here. I don't know poo poo about Tsunamis but I feel like if I saw that I would run. Do these people not get weird and terrible feelings when nature starts acting loving bonkers, regardless if you know anything about it?

Then again the amount of times I've had to explain what to look for with regards to Tornadoes blows my mind. You really don't think its weird the pressure drastically changes, the wind COMPLETELY stops, and the sky turns a weird green color in the middle of the day is concerning? People are loving dumb.

I guess another example is being in Germany in the middle of winter with a Texan who had never seen snow before. We had to explain things to him like "Snow is cold so don't run out there in short sleeves and shorts. Why the gently caress are you out there in your underwear now?" and "Yellow snow should not be eaten." Then again the yellow show thing was him pissing on a snowball in his hand and taking a bite out of it. People are loving dumb.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

Living in the midwest is like a slow-moving, never-ending man-made disaster, though.

True, but that's a small price to pay for the satisfaction of having the Last Place Lions in our division.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Unless by inevitable you mean "enormous meteorite impact", of which the one that struck the coast of central Mexico 66 million years ago caused a tsunami of sufficient height and energy that it likely struck as far inland as modern-day Kansas.

e: since it landed on the coast the tsunami was only about 680 feet high, if it had landed in deep water it would've been nearly three miles

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 9, 2020

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

The loving irony of this one just boggles the mind.

Monopoly was originally invented by a woman and had it stolen and marketed by a man.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

xcheopis posted:

I read Pearl Buck's The Big Wave as a child, plus learning some ocean stuff in geography in junior high, plus living on the coast of California. Before the 2004 disaster, I had assumed everyone knew what "ocean rapidly receding a long way out" foretold. I then also learned that not all tsunami have this behaviour!
I'm from Sweden and Thailand is an incredibly popular tourist destination for swedes. I remeber reading articles describing how people from sweden and other countries in northern europe actually went out to get a closer look when the water started receding. Very few european tourists understood what was really happening until it was too late..

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/5UcgK1T.mp4

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

lmao that’s perfect

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/elbusyo/status/1259162516598345728

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

:iceburn:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

limp_cheese posted:

I guess another example is being in Germany in the middle of winter with a Texan who had never seen snow before. We had to explain things to him like "Snow is cold so don't run out there in short sleeves and shorts. Why the gently caress are you out there in your underwear now?" and "Yellow snow should not be eaten." Then again the yellow show thing was him pissing on a snowball in his hand and taking a bite out of it. People are loving dumb.

As a fellow Texan I can assure you even we know at least that much. it wasn't ignorance, this man was just living his best life :texas:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/KFE0QWH.mp4

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

TACD posted:

I liked the part where some dipshit American said she thought the tsunami must have been a terrorist attack

Could have just said American, the dipshit is implied.

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009

xcheopis posted:

I read Pearl Buck's The Big Wave as a child, plus learning some ocean stuff in geography in junior high, plus living on the coast of California. Before the 2004 disaster, I had assumed everyone knew what "ocean rapidly receding a long way out" foretold. I then also learned that not all tsunami have this behaviour!
I live within 3 blocks of the ocean in California and until 2004 I never even thought about tsunamis. I knew about the Alaska earthquake and a little about the resulting tsunami, but I think I was not really cognizant of the receding ocean prior to the wave coming back in. We actually got about a 6 inch tsunami after the Japanese earthquake, but that's because we are blocked by the Channel Islands. It was larger a 100 miles north.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

limp_cheese posted:

This right here. I don't know poo poo about Tsunamis but I feel like if I saw that I would run. Do these people not get weird and terrible feelings when nature starts acting loving bonkers, regardless if you know anything about it?

Then again the amount of times I've had to explain what to look for with regards to Tornadoes blows my mind. You really don't think its weird the pressure drastically changes, the wind COMPLETELY stops, and the sky turns a weird green color in the middle of the day is concerning? People are loving dumb.

The ocean leaves every day. It's called the tide. And if you are a tourist with absolutely no knowledge about the local sea patterns (which vary drastically from place to place), and possibly from a landlocked place with no practical experience with the sea at all, there is no reason to necessarily suspect anything when the sea recedes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/eVBoPlb.mp4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

Home automation used to be custom systems that cost millions and would be implemented and serviced by a German engineering team (at least here in Denmark), on a contract.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm33KB2Th9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e5lzHtxdW4

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The C64 was used for everything back in the day.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

The C64 was used for everything back in the day.

The observatory still had a couple of VIC-20s in a lab when I was there in the early 90s.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

My dad worked in a neodymium magnet factory owned by GM up until 2002 and they still had equipment that still ran off C64s.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I would say about 100% of stuff that's useful and works out better or even only with a computer, requires very little computing power from today's perspective.

Supercomputer stuff fits in a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
https://i.imgur.com/8AueZ9g.mp4

So close!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is that a prop or a prosthetic?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hedenius posted:

I'm from Sweden and Thailand is an incredibly popular tourist destination for swedes. I remeber reading articles describing how people from sweden and other countries in northern europe actually went out to get a closer look when the water started receding. Very few european tourists understood what was really happening until it was too late..

I didn't know that was a thing specifically for the Swiss. Frontman for the excellent Swedish grindcore band Nasum died there :smith:

e:
Sweden Swiss Switzerland what's the diff yo? :patriot:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 10, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hedenius posted:

The president of the Republic of Finland survived by hanging on to a utility pole.

But on the plus side, we got the joke "what is green and brown and can't sing?" "[insert name of singer who died in the tsunami]"

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

I didn't know that was a thing specifically for the Swiss. Frontman for the excellent Swedish grindcore band Nasum died there :smith:

Sweden!=Swiss

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

TACD posted:

I liked the part where some dipshit American said she thought the tsunami must have been a terrorist attack

People have been calling this woman out for that phrasing for decades now. Don't think you're suddenly caught onto something new.
I'm reasonably sure she meant; the tsunami was as terrifying as a terrorist attack, not literally a terrorist attack. Of course her phrasing makes no sense but she just went through the trauma of an actual tsunami and people she knew died. Being unable to express yourself logically after sometime like that isn't being a dipshit American.

Chomp8645 posted:

Is that a prop or a prosthetic?

It's a prosthetic, and she's still out of your league

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 10, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The audio on this is choice. :discourse:

quote:

Woman 1: Excuse me?

Man: gently caress. It bleached the table, dude.

Woman 1: Did it really?

From all: Oh poo poo! Oh poo poo! screaming

Woman 1: No, don’t blow on it, you dipshit.

Woman 2: What the gently caress! What the gently caress! Oh my god!

Woman 1: I’m sorry. I had to do it, y’all, I had to do it.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I can dig that inland people might not be taught about tsunamis, but where exactly do they think the ocean is going when it all of a sudden pulls back a mile offshore?

That should be one of those natural "oh gently caress" things like when you see a giant wind tube come down from the sky and start turning houses into tiny splinters of wood.

Or if a mountaintop blows up and generates a shockwave and a bunch of glowing red stuff comes out.

Why are you running toward it? Don't do that thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/ZlVBI5G.mp4

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Butcher posted:

I can dig that inland people might not be taught about tsunamis, but where exactly do they think the ocean is going when it all of a sudden pulls back a mile offshore?

That should be one of those natural "oh gently caress" things like when you see a giant wind tube come down from the sky and start turning houses into tiny splinters of wood.

Or if a mountaintop blows up and generates a shockwave and a bunch of glowing red stuff comes out.

Lots of folks that live near the ocean don't know about tsunamis either. They only tend to happen once every few generations, so knowledge of them is dependent on good education or oral tradition. I've heard stories of people going out to pick up fish and stuff when the water pulls out and then getting washed away when the tsunami comes.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

The Butcher posted:

People aren't rational and most people's reaction to seeing some wild poo poo you've never seen before, if it doesn't seem immediately threatening (in a way you can relate to), is to keep looking to see what happens. I met a girl from Montana Colorado once, she'd never seen a body of water bigger than a small lake in real life before, and was completely dumbstruck by a fjord. She simply couldn't grasp that there was so much water all around her. People don't always understand nature or physics, it happens.

e: misremembered the state

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 10, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Sjs00 posted:

People have been calling this woman out for that phrasing for decades now. Don't think you're suddenly caught onto something new.
I'm reasonably sure she meant; the tsunami was as terrifying as a terrorist attack, not literally a terrorist attack. Of course her phrasing makes no sense but she just went through the trauma of an actual tsunami and people she knew died. Being unable to express yourself logically after sometime like that isn't being a dipshit American.

People mention that woman all the time when that video pops up... but for me the best part is her tiny faced boyfriend

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sjs00 posted:

It's a prosthetic, and she's still out of your league

*sigh* aren't they all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Mr. Fix It posted:

Lots of folks that live near the ocean don't know about tsunamis either. They only tend to happen once every few generations, so knowledge of them is dependent on good education or oral tradition. I've heard stories of people going out to pick up fish and stuff when the water pulls out and then getting washed away when the tsunami comes.

In the PNW at least I think it's pretty nailed in these days. We teach the kids in school what the sirens mean, do drills, and have signed routes set up to get to the high ground.